BUMMER: PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Come on down to Port of Baltimore.

I dont see port of baltimore cruise ship schedule for anything 2021 or 2022.   Same for nj/ny.  I didnt check fl ports.   I wonder if they just wont post them till ships have permission to sail.

• Like 1

We went to Great Adventure last week and it felt like what I imagine florida and Texas to be right now.  Unfortunately, until they get their own citizens under control I doubt they will open up to cruises.

15 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Come on down to Port of Baltimore.

The cruise port in Baltimore is closed. It was one of the first to close. By order of the Governor. None knows when it will reopen. The governor and city of Baltimore will have a say. I would not hold my breath waiting for cruises out of Baltimore restarting. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I dont see port of baltimore cruise ship schedule for anything 2021 or 2022.   Same for nj/ny.  I didnt check fl ports.   I wonder if they just wont post them till ships have permission to sail.

Just booked an October 2021 cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas out of Baltimore this week.

We have 3 booked cruises out of Bayonne in July, August & September 2021.  We are hoping that cruising restarts out of the US.  We also have Nov & Dec cruises booked out of Florida.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scoobydobe7 said:

Ships have already been pulled by both NCL and Royal...At this point you cannot book a cruise from Boston 2021.. whereas you can still book from Bayonne, NJ

There are still two Boston to Bermuda NCL cruises on the Norwegian schedule.  October 27th and November 5th.  I am booked on the one on the 5th, and my reservation is still showing.

9 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

And Florida's governor would like to have cruise ships restart, but has passed a law)rule/executive order that says companies cannot compell customers to get vaccines. Definitely a self created catch 22

Yep.  

Realistically Florida and maybe Texas will be the first US ports to open, I wouldn't expect anyone in the Northeast to start cruising until several months after them. Also 2nd quarter of 2022 sounds like a wild guess to me, especially given how many moving parts there are in this situation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

My brother works for the PANYNJ. He works at Port Newark in logistics and marshaling.  He told me they were going over reopening of non public ship terminals for both NY & NJ.  Someone asked about the NYC & Port Liberty cruise ship terminals.  They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022.  All sailings of passenger vessels have been cancelled until then at minimum.   They expect this to be a press release by 5/1.

While I don't doubt someone said this in a meeting, it makes no sense.  While I'm sure some will disagree with me,  the Governor could point to the reason for each restriction at the time it  was made.  Once essentially everyone is vaccinated, there won't be a reason to prohibit cruising out of the state.

NJ currently has just over 1.9 million people fully vaccinated, the goal is to bring that to 4.7 million by June 30.  At the current pace of vaccinations, we will make that with room to spare.  Keep up that pace and 70% of the state in mid August (rough threshold for herd immunity) and everyone in state would be vaccinated by the 2nd week of November, including children (assumes one or more of the vaccines is approved for children in the meantime.  While I wouldn't be surprised if  the State requires everyone (or everyone who is eligible to vaccinated) to be vaccinated, I am sure cruises will be allowed by then.

Additionally if this has been decided, why would they wait three weeks to announce it and why would they do that by press release?

Tom

• Like 3

Seems to me Port Authority should be more concerned about risk posed by international air travelers arriving at JFK and EWR.  They may have tested negative when leaving home yesterday but today???    Meanwhile many (most?) NY/NJ cruise passengers come from tri-state area so present no added risk.

Edited by Baron Barracuda
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

And Florida's governor would like to have cruise ships restart, but has passed a law)rule/executive order that says companies cannot compell customers to get vaccines. Definitely a self created catch 22

I am thinking that since Royal is not a US company it wouldn’t matter what the governor of Florida says about compelling vaccinations.  Agree?

49 minutes ago, Lady Hudson said:

I am thinking that since Royal is not a US company it wouldn’t matter what the governor of Florida says about compelling vaccinations.  Agree?

I believe the Gov's executive order says " any company doing business in Florida" so it could have a impact.  Like most everything else on here, just speculation. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mudhen said:

All I can say is if things are supposedly so very bad, that the NY/NJ cruise terminals can't open until a year from now, we're in very serious trouble.....

I think that this assumption if way ahead of itself.

Cruises aren’t even happening from US ports period. Until we see a start up I can’t imagine that NY and NJ Governor’s can even entertain the idea at this time. We are still at limited capacity and even though people are willing to get the vaccine they are still having trouble getting an appointment. I work for one of the chain Drug Stores and every day people complain how they still can’t get an appointment. One person who was getting the vaccine told someone she spent all day refreshing the page until an appointment popped up

Edited by Iamcruzin

8 hours ago, vandals04 said:

We went to Great Adventure last week and it felt like what I imagine florida and Texas to be right now.  Unfortunately, until they get their own citizens under control I doubt they will open up to cruises.

If I were you, I’d worry a lot more about NJ than Florida. Look at the Covid death rates of those 2 states.  

5 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

While I don't doubt someone said this in a meeting, it makes no sense.  While I'm sure some will disagree with me,  the Governor could point to the reason for each restriction at the time it  was made.  Once essentially everyone is vaccinated, there won't be a reason to prohibit cruising out of the state.

NJ currently has just over 1.9 million people fully vaccinated, the goal is to bring that to 4.7 million by June 30.  At the current pace of vaccinations, we will make that with room to spare.  Keep up that pace and 70% of the state in mid August (rough threshold for herd immunity) and everyone in state would be vaccinated by the 2nd week of November, including children (assumes one or more of the vaccines is approved for children in the meantime.  While I wouldn't be surprised if  the State requires everyone (or everyone who is eligible to vaccinated) to be vaccinated, I am sure cruises will be allowed by then.

Additionally if this has been decided, why would they wait three weeks to announce it and why would they do that by press release?

Tom

If our Governor is a cruising fan he will make sure that Bayonne will be open in due time.  Remember, while the state was in a lockdown he was caught many times dining indoors and also standing/drinking  by the bars.  He was one of the first Governors in the Northeast to open restaurants as he enjoys dining out and probably many restaurateurs in Monmouth County are his friends and supporters.😀

53 minutes ago, Love2cruise77 said:

Guess my July cruise from Bayonne is about to be cancelled...hopefully cruising will resume by August for the Mardi Gras cruise.

Your July cruise being canceled has all to do with the CDC and not the state of New Jersey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Until we see a start up I can’t imagine that NY and NJ Governor’s can even entertain the idea at this time. We are still at limited capacity and even though people are willing to get the vaccine they are still having trouble getting an appointment. I work for one of the chain Drug Stores and every day people complain how they still can’t get an appointment.

I can only comment on my recent experience in New Jersey.  I applied for a vaccine on Saturday (April 3), and got a text the next day, Sunday, to make an appointment. The first available appointments were for Tuesday and I received the first shot that day. So it was a few days from request to vaccine. 

Maybe in NJ it is best to apply to other than drug store chains. I applied to two hospitals in my county and they both responded within a couple days. 

The drug stores (as you said) had no appointments available. Perhaps others in other counties have had different experiences. 

Best wishes and best health to everyone. 

7 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

The statement from the governor says "does business in Florida" and corporate headquarters are in Florida. Not being a lawyer who specializes in business law, I don't know where the company falls on the side of that ruling. 

On 4/8/2021 at 5:16 PM, Iplayslots said:

They were told they will remain shuttered until 2nd quarter 2022.  All sailings of passenger vessels have been cancelled until then at minimum.   They expect this to be a press release by 5/1.

This is all pure speculation...

Who made this claim?  What authority did they have?  If it was already determined, why doesn't anyone else know?  Why delay the announcement for weeks?

While no one doubts what the OP heard from their brother, there are simply too many unanswered questions to take this seriously at this point.