Vaccines required for children.

51st FMS

We are booked for a cruise this summer (August 7) and I know it's still up in the air if we'll go or not.  My question is if children under 16 will have to have the vaccine before boarding?  I'm sure that if the age is lowered for kids to be able to get the shot, they will be required to have it, but if the age is not lowered what happens then?  Will they be allowed to board?

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Depends on your cruise line.  Thus far the Carnival family of lines sailing from the US do not require vaccinations, even for adults.    (P&O-UK does, but they are in Europe).  EM

True though no Carnival family ships are sailing from the U.S. now anyway. RCI and Celebrity however have announced that their cruises from Bermuda, Bahamas and St. Martin this summer will require either proof of vaccination or (for those not eligible for vaccination, e.g. children) proof of a negative test 72 hours prior to boarding. I can imagine that a similar scenario would exist for the OP's cruise but as also mentioned, no one knows for sure right now - nothing has been announced.

Edited by joepeka

5 hours ago, skynight said:

No answers yet. Vaccine approval for youth 12 to 16 years is still under review. Don't believe data for those under 12 has been submitted for approval. Stay tuned.

I am under the impression that vaccine approval for adults is still only for Emergency use and that the vaccines are not yet APPROVED for use.  Which is part of my objection to requirements that people be vaccinated for any activity.  They are still only experimental. 

(Disclosure:  I am scheduled for my second jab this coming week.  I am a lab rat!)  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joepeka said:

RCI and Celebrity however have announced that their cruises from Bermuda, Bahamas and St. Martin this summer will require either proof of vaccination or (for those not eligible for vaccination, e.g. children) proof of a negative test 72 hours prior to boarding. I can imagine that a similar scenario would exist for the OP's cruise but as also mentioned, no one knows for sure right now - nothing has been announced.

I thought that you need proof of vaccination, AND a negative test no more than 72 hours before you fly into St. Maarten, AND a clean test on the boarding dock.  All three!  And then a clean test before you can fly back to the US.

26 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I thought that you need proof of vaccination, AND a negative test no more than 72 hours before you fly into St. Maarten, AND a clean test on the boarding dock.  All three!  And then a clean test before you can fly back to the US.

St. Martin does have testing requirements prior to boarding (as well as mandatory travel insurance) and here the link to Celebrity's site on St. Martin info: 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/st-maarten-travel-requirements

Edited by joepeka
  • Thanks 1

Some cruise lines will probably allow children to cruise if they are tested.  Others have said that everyone on board must be vaccinated w/o exception which means that children will not be allowed on the ship.  You need to check on the requirements for whatever line you are cruising on but remember that rules can be changed at any time.

DON

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I am under the impression that vaccine approval for adults is still only for Emergency use and that the vaccines are not yet APPROVED for use.  Which is part of my objection to requirements that people be vaccinated for any activity.  They are still only experimental. 

(Disclosure:  I am scheduled for my second jab this coming week.  I am a lab rat!)  

You are correct, emergency use approvals. Very likely will change to normal approvals as time passes and extended data collected regarding long term immunity and booster shots. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 8:32 AM, 51st FMS said:

We are booked for a cruise this summer (August 7) and I know it's still up in the air if we'll go or not.  My question is if children under 16 will have to have the vaccine before boarding?  I'm sure that if the age is lowered for kids to be able to get the shot, they will be required to have it, but if the age is not lowered what happens then?  Will they be allowed to board?

Appears you on on a Princess cruise, leaving from LA?  Current CDC requirements state that any cruise ship departing from a US port must have 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew vaccinated.  I don't see that Carnival has yet released a statement about vaccination requirements.

2 hours ago, 6rugrats said:

Appears you on on a Princess cruise, leaving from LA?  Current CDC requirements state that any cruise ship departing from a US port must have 95% of the passengers and 98% of the crew vaccinated.  I don't see that Carnival has yet released a statement about vaccination requirements.

Or, operate the test sailings with approved plans.

• Like 1