Celebrity's Chief Marketing Officer leaves for other opportunities

ipeeinthepool

8 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Was he responsible for the ill-fated Marco Polo campaign?  Or the equally short-lived and ill-conceived “No Rules” ?  Or was that someone else?

Or the "Kobe" burgers?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

I find it interesting -- nothing personal towards anyone else's comments.

"  Celebrity's CMO has left the company.  This is the person---- "

People leave companies every day , but, somehow , their leaving attracts comments on a public Cruise  forum. Why ??? 

Let's say " Joe Shmoe " left  XYZ Company , and you liked shopping there, what difference would it make ?

Joe Shmoe leaving is one thing - Accounts Receivable Manager.  Who cares?.  When corporate officers leave (any company) it is interesting.  

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

I find it interesting -- nothing personal towards anyone else's comments.

"  Celebrity's CMO has left the company.  This is the person---- "

People leave companies every day , but, somehow , their leaving attracts comments on a public Cruise  forum. Why ??? 

Let's say " Joe Shmoe " left  XYZ Company , and you liked shopping there, what difference would it make ?

Well if Joe Shmoe's policies were the reason I liked shopping there, the replacement, and possibly new policies, could make a huge difference.

So yes, I would care.

• Like 1

Well I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I think many can agree that "Marketing" has not been a strong point for Celebrity. Always included was really not handled well, many of us already had a choice of "perks" included in the booking, the thing was we could choose the perks that were "included in the price". Now you don't get to choose and Celebrity has upset many loyal customers who's "loyalty" points are useless (in their minds) because they are now paying an "always included" price and not getting anything "extra" for their loyalty.

Is "marketing" responsible for the website? If they are that's another fail. I've lost track of how many comments I have read on multiple Celebrity threads as to how poor the website is.

We can hope that a new leader may get the team back on track, for a marketing campaign to succeed people have to believe they are getting a deal; if people believe they have been hosed they will look elsewhere...Marketing fail.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I think many can agree that "Marketing" has not been a strong point for celebrity. Always included was really not handled well, many of us already had a choice of "perks" included in the booking, the thing was we could choose the perks that were "included in the price". Now you don't get to choose and Celebrity has upset many loyal customers who's "loyalty" points are useless (in their minds) because they are now paying an "always included" price and not getting anything "extra" for their loyalty.

Is "marketing" responsible for the website? If they are that's another fail I've lost track of how many comment I have read on multiple Celebrity thread as to how poor the website is.

We can hope that a new leader may get the team back on track, for a marketing campaign to succeed people have to believe they are getting a deal; if people believe they have been hosed they will look elsewhere...Marketing fail.

Most of what you say does not seem to fall under the responsibility of the CMO, who is responsible for marketing.  Pricing, perks, website, responsibility of the CFO and CIO.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. I think many can agree that "Marketing" has not been a strong point for Celebrity. Always included was really not handled well, many of us already had a choice of "perks" included in the booking, the thing was we could choose the perks that were "included in the price". Now you don't get to choose and Celebrity has upset many loyal customers who's "loyalty" points are useless (in their minds) because they are now paying an "always included" price and not getting anything "extra" for their loyalty.

Is "marketing" responsible for the website? If they are that's another fail. I've lost track of how many comments I have read on multiple Celebrity threads as to how poor the website is.

X says they are looking for a new CMO.  Doesnt say if the old CMO is still there or gone.  He was young (enough) and it isn't unusual for people to move these days.  Maybe that the cruise industry being stuck in the mud for 15 months may be part of it - he was bored.

As for the rest - X knew if they were making money on the old "loyal" members.   My guess is not, especially if those folks were looking for a "deal".  X wants to sell "value" at a higher price - look at all the quality you are getting

4 minutes ago, tfred said:

X says they are looking for a new CMO.  Doesnt say if the old CMO is still there or gone.  He was young (enough) and it isn't unusual for people to move these days.  Maybe that the cruise industry being stuck in the mud for 15 months may be part of it - he was bored.

As for the rest - X knew if they were making money on the old "loyal" members.   My guess is not, especially if those folks were looking for a "deal".  X wants to sell "value" at a higher price - look at all the quality you are getting

it says he IS leaving and will be missed, was not ambiguous

9 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Well if Joe Shmoe's policies were the reason I liked shopping there, the replacement, and possibly new policies, could make a huge difference.

So yes, I would care.

The Company's " Policies " --- That's the " key "--- Absolutely correct.

40 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Not sure what you are saying here.  Do you mean that a company's policies never change?

No, of course they change.

I am agreeing with you .

They are policies of a" Company " , not a specific individual's alone.

Whatever-- looking forward to cruising again when it's safe and meeting so many CCers.

Be fun to meet in person.

• Like 1

Nice to know that we can still argue about anything, along with whether it is, or is not appropriate.  However,  I always take a wait and see attitude before going overboard. I just want to cruise again, enjoying the wind in my face, and the multitude of things to do, or not to do...change is the name of the game, and Covid has exacerbated change!  Just my little opinion for what it's worth...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Nice to know that we can still argue about anything, along with whether it is, or is not appropriate.  However,  I always take a wait and see attitude before going overboard. I just want to cruise again, enjoying the wind in my face, and the multitude of things to do, or not to do...change is the name of the game, and Covid has exacerbated change!  Just my little opinion for what it's worth...

😊👍🏻

Edited by C-Dragons

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

it says he IS leaving and will be missed, was not ambiguous

Standard boilerplate language when someone is leaving.  At the large company where I worked prior to my retirement, his departure would have been described as POO'd.  Pursuing Outside Opportunities.   If he was leaving for a specific job, that would have usually been noted.   People seldom wanted to be POO'd.

The COO where I worked used to laugh whenever it was announced that someone had resigned 'to spend more time with their family.'  He said, "everybody wants to spend more time with their family, but nobody wants to spend all their time with their family!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Standard boilerplate language when someone is leaving.  At the large company where I worked prior to my retirement, his departure would have been described as POO'd.  Pursuing Outside Opportunities.   If he was leaving for a specific job, that would have usually been noted.   People seldom wanted to be POO'd.

I agree with you.  Based upon 32 years of corporate life, the two line comment atttributed to LLP is rather terse. It references "working closely with me" which implies a short leash, no thank you for the job well done, no best wishes for future success.  I interpret it as a difference of creative vision..since he was the first CMO for Celebrity, maybe he didn't have the autonomy he required to do his job. It will be a matter of wait and see if the marketing program stays the same or takes off in a new direction.

2 hours ago, ScubesDad said:

I agree with you.  Based upon 32 years of corporate life, the two line comment atttributed to LLP is rather terse. It references "working closely with me" which implies a short leash, no thank you for the job well done, no best wishes for future success.  I interpret it as a difference of creative vision..since he was the first CMO for Celebrity, maybe he didn't have the autonomy he required to do his job. It will be a matter of wait and see if the marketing program stays the same or takes off in a new direction.

I plan to go ask Alice, will let you know what she says

24 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I plan to go ask Alice, will let you know what she says

Just make sure, she is ten feet tall......

That was a great commercial, but I am not sure it was the message they wanted to send.

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Most of what you say does not seem to fall under the responsibility of the CMO, who is responsible for marketing.  Pricing, perks, website, responsibility of the CFO and CIO.

Sorry I disagree. Marketing has to make the price palatable to the buying public. Perks are a way for Marketing to do that. And finally the Website is how marketing seals the deal and gets the Guest (buying public) to click "book now" or call their travel agent and say "We just have to do this fabulous Celebrity cruise"

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sorry I disagree. Marketing has to make the price palatable to the buying public. Perks are a way for Marketing to do that. And finally the Website is how marketing seals the deal and gets the Guest (buying public) to click "book now" or call their travel agent and say "We just have to do this fabulous Celebrity cruise"

Well in my company, marketing develops a strategy and design for the marketing campaign , IT is responsible for the integrity of the website, if I have an IT issue I don't call a marketing manager, I call the service desk.  Finance crunches the numbers at which they can make a profit, CEO signs off on it and marketing helps implement.  Now if you will please excuse me, I need to go and help TeeRick and Fouremco market their new C3PO and R2D2 variant strategies, they have many emails to send on this.  I have been assigned finding links to each.

Edited by LGW59