Parents Rejoice: children ARE allowed to cruise out of the US this summer!

1 hour ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Is there a legitimate medical reason that someone can’t take one of the vaccines?  I I understand someone my be allergic to one,  but since the mRNA and J&J are different technologies, hard to believe someone could be allergic to both.

There are some legitimate medical reasons to not get the vaccine, the list is shrinking all the time however.  Allergies is NOT one of them. 

Of the medical exclusions remaining, most of them would preclude an individual from safely being on a cruise ship anyway, in my opinion. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 4

https://www.cruise1st.co.uk/blog/cruise-holidays/how-old-is-the-average-cruise-passenger/

See the image below, apparently with data from CLIA.  If that's correct--and that's the average across adult-oriented lines like Holland America as well as family-friendly lines like Royal--then there are still going to be plenty of kids left out, especially during the summer.

Anecdotally, I would estimate the number of kids on the summer/holiday Royal sailings I've been on at higher than 10% of the overall passenger populace and (kids + teens) at well over 15%, perhaps 20% or more.

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 4.03.24 PM.png

Edited by BeachyBrowns

22 minutes ago, BeachyBrowns said:

Anecdotally, I would estimate the number of kids on the summer/holiday Royal sailings I've been on at higher than 10% of the overall passenger populace and (kids + teens) at well over 15%, perhaps 20% or more.

EDIT: Looking back, I realized I have never even been on a midsummer sailing--my impressions are from non-peak-family sailings, and kids are everywhere on Oasis-class ships even then!  (It just feels like summer when you're sailing the Caribbean.)  Our Thanksgiving 2019 Allure OTS sailing had tons of kids, to the extent that we were unable to book several time slots in Royal Babies and Tots, even days in advance.  The point is, on a summer sailing on an Oasis-class ship, an allowance of 5% unvaccinated passengers will not even cover all the kids, much less any unvaccinated adults with faked vaccination cards.

1 hour ago, ArthurUSCG said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/10/coronavirus-vaccine-for-kids/

Now that 5% can go to the 0-11 year olds ! 🕺💃🚢🎊🎈 bring the sail away party!

Yes but do keep in mind it will take time for the 12-15 to be "fully" vaccinated (5 weeks minimum from the date of first shot). Don't expect the July cruises to have that many fully vaccinated 12-15 year olds. Unless every person with a cruise booked in July rushes to get their kid the shot in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The age is down to 12 as of today.

Yeah but they started last week with the two high schools my guess is they will offer to the middle schools next.  Our school district has been one of the best in the state and even thought the high schools have had a few infections it has all been from other sources and hasn't spread in the schools. I almost sent every teacher in the high school flowers when they went from one day a week in person to four days a week in-class learning several months ago.

11 hours ago, jrapps said:

Yes but do keep in mind it will take time for the 12-15 to be "fully" vaccinated (5 weeks minimum from the date of first shot). Don't expect the July cruises to have that many fully vaccinated 12-15 year olds. Unless every person with a cruise booked in July rushes to get their kid the shot in the next few weeks.

It's not really rushing if (depending on your state) you take them with you the next time you go grocery shopping to have the pharmacists administer. Or my local health department set up an inoculation site right next to the large county park. Previously, the county worked with Drs offices for vaccination drives, I suspect they are already lining up pediatrician offices.

22 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Let's not forget, the scenario involved a 40 year old working from home and getting groceries delivered.

The 17 year old works in the public and attends in person learning in school. Also, very importantly, as you said, "17  year olds generally don't die or even get sick from Covid". That there alone is one of the reasons why this virus spreads and the 17 year old has no idea he is spreading the virus if he is infectious without symptoms.

My deduction is the 17 year old is more of a risk to the community for spread of this virus than the 40 year old.

Just my opinion, of course.

Yes, that was what I meant; thank you for explaining. 

On 5/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, Heymarco said:

Bringing the topic back to cruising, risk is very very minimal. So much so that there haven’t been any reported cases of an unvaccinated person “spreading” covid to a bunch of vaccinated people. If anyone says otherwise, need to see a source please. Super spreader events will continue to decrease as vaccination rates increase, and that’s a fact!

Also, the CDC recently changed how it tracks breakthrough COVID-19 cases among fully vaccinated Americans this month.  The agency switched from monitoring all reported breakthrough cases to only ones that result in hospitalization or death as of May 1.  

This will make it it virtually impossible to differentiate btw COVID-19 cases for those unvaccinated vs vaccinated , except for the severe cases.  It’s like the CDC is not being transparent regarding the effectiveness of the vaccines. 

On 5/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

There are some legitimate medical reasons to not get the vaccine, the list is shrinking all the time however.  Allergies is NOT one of them. 

Of the medical exclusions remaining, most of them would preclude an individual from safely being on a cruise ship anyway, in my opinion. 

Since you didn’t mention one I will.  A legitimate reason for not getting the vaccine would be if one already had CV-19 and they still have a high level of anti-bodies.

There’s no need for that person to get the vaccine.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, atgood said:

Since you didn’t mention one I will.  A legitimate reason for not getting the vaccine would be if one already had CV-19 and they still have a high level of anti-bodies.

There is a need for the person to get the vaccine after a certain time period. Getting covid doesn’t stop you from getting it again and possibly spreading it to others.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 12:22 PM, Seville2Cabo said:

Is there a legitimate medical reason that someone can’t take one of the vaccines?  I I understand someone my be allergic to one,  but since the mRNA and J&J are different technologies, hard to believe someone could be allergic to both.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:45 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

I agree. It was not a polite response when mentioning other members. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by Coralc

2 hours ago, atgood said:

May be an image of text that says 'Already had COVID-19? Don't give away your shot Individuals' antibody response following confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection is highly variable: COVID-19 vaccination provides stronger and more consistent antibody response than natural SARS-CoV-2 infection. ය RECOVERED INDIVIDUALS 8 VACCINATED Getting vaccinated after SARS-CoV-2 infection provides turbo-boost of immunity, which may be particularly helpful against new variants. Dear Pandemic:'

• Like 1

Actually studies have shown that people who have recovered from covid still carry viable antibodies 8-9 months after recovery. Though this was skewed towards people who had more severe cases of covid.

Edited by smokeybandit

8 hours ago, atgood said:

See it as a booster shot.

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

There is a need for the person to get the vaccine after a certain time period. Getting covid doesn’t stop you from getting it again and possibly spreading it to others.

Not necessarily as long that person still has a high level of anti-bodies, especially if their level is the same or higher as others who have been vaccinated. 

Similarly, getting vaccinated also doesn’t stop you from getting COVID or possibly transmitting to others.  Someone who still has a high level of antibodies is in a similar situation as someone who has been vaccinated. 

13 minutes ago, exm said:

See it as a booster shot.

It doesn’t work like that if someone still has a high level of antibodies.  It’s unnecessary.  

Otherwise, why stop after completing the recommending vaccine dosage?  

• Like 1