New CDC guidelines released 5/5/21

Gracie115

48 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I’m vaccinated, **** all this mask and distancing *****. It’s all nonsense you idiots. 

Are you planning on cruising on Celebrity out of St. Martin or Greece?  The protocols for those cruises have not been published yet, but odds are they will include masks and social distancing even with vaccinated passengers.  Hadn't you best wait before you start declaring people are "idiots"?  The cruise lines know what they need to do and will do it even without the heavy hand of the CDC.

33 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

This is ONLY your opinion....no need for name calling...we're still civilized human beings (I think).

Thank you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Honestly there is no reason to require masks outdoors onboard fully vaccinated ships.  That is a real conflict with all of their recent guidance.

The guidance is not written for fully vaccinated. If they were there would be a requirement for such.

Consequently they are written for no vaccination requirement. Any relaxing of restrictions for a fully vaccinated will depend upon the plan in total that they receive from the cruise line where the cruise line indicates that vaccination will be required.

6 hours ago, LGW59 said:

yes and then check those death rates as a percentage of the population

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109011/coronavirus-covid19-death-rates-us-by-state/

Here you go.  NJ is on the top of the list right above NY for death rates.  Massachussets just edged out RI for #3.

Hawaii, Vermont, and Alaska have the lowest rates.

Edited by NMTraveller

Truly a sad "discussion ".  Things continue in a changing status.  I am vaccinated and willing to cruise WHEN things settle down.  Emotions and name calling only make things worse.  The level of infections continues high despite warmer weather and good vaccination numbers.  Would be good to take a pause and simply wait and see how things go.  If you like the rules then cruise.  If not stay home as the rules are likely to change.

• Like 2

It seems a bit 'overboard' on CDC regulations. Most areas of the country are open or opening up....even NYC. Planes are going back to full occupancy, subways are full, dining out without masks is common. So why are fully vaccinated people on cruise being treated differently? Jim Crammer on CNBC(?) said that the CDC just does not want cruise ships sailing out of US ports...period. I think he nailed it.

• Like 4

I'd like to see a poll about the new rules on Cruise Critic. For me, I now have a lot to think over. Going to the pool with my mask on is very unappealing, for example. Only guided cruise line tours? I like to meander around shopping followed by a drink. And sometimes a cruise stops at an island where I have a favorite beach, but there's no tour that includes that beach. I'm vaccinated yet feel as if on my expensive 10-day cruise I'll have to be restricted as if all the other passengers and I are not. Why can we not have ONE RULE: GET A VACCINE OR DON'T CRUISE. These rules might be a deal breaker for me, and I hate the thought of cancelling my November cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

As the infection rate for vaccinated individuals is .0007% it is not opinion but fact. Civilized? An illusion as you can see on the news.

if that number is the percentage of those vaccinated that have gotten infected it is a pretty meaningless figure since it does not indicate the number that has had the potential to be infected.  We do know that vaccine reduces risk of infection for  the original strain by 94%.  Less than that for B.1.351.

Even for unvaccinated the infection rate is about 1.5% for the world populations. Seem pretty small as well.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

In summary, I would never spend my $5-6K on a cruise experience with these rules. I’ve already called Celebrity and told them as much. I can’t imagine who would.

Agree.  We are schedule for a caribbean island land vacation.  Cannot wait.  Of course we have had our vaccinations, not only for us, but to protect our family and friends from the virus as even if you have been vaccinated you might spread the virus.  I do not understand why everyone doesn't get vaccinated as the immunization is now readily available and free.  

Do not forget all of the deaths and seriously ill people in our country from covid.  Do the right thing!!  What we know for sure is that Covid kills- the vaccination will prevent your death- look at statistics please.

Edited by Cruise a holic

1 minute ago, Dwight1 said:

In summary, I would never spend my $5-6K on a cruise experience with these rules. I’ve already called Celebrity and told them as much. I can’t imagine who would.

Well, just imagine: In Europe cruise ships have been sailing under similar conditions for several month now and ten of thousands of happy cruisers have enjoyed the opportunity.

(Given that some of the IMHO more than strange CDC recommendations like prepacked food are not part of the rules here. But for example cruiseline only excursion are a must - keep the bubble intact.)

It is more important than ever to try to make decisions carefully on as much as possible information - there is no right or wrong in choosing to cruise or not, which ship or itinerary.  The drawing lines might vary considerably between individuals.

To sail or not sail for what ever reason are both to be respected individual decisions.

And why not tell the CDC or your political representatives about your opinion, maybe without calling them idiots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nocl said:

The guidance is not written for fully vaccinated. If they were there would be a requirement for such.

Consequently they are written for no vaccination requirement. Any relaxing of restrictions for a fully vaccinated will depend upon the plan in total that they receive from the cruise line where the cruise line indicates that vaccination will be required.

This!  What everyone seems to be missing is that the only cruise line that has committed to FULL vaccinations is NCL.  No other line has made that commitment.  The CDC rules, as written, cover what is necessary for unvaccinated or partial vaccinated ships.  When lines commit to fully vaccinated plans in their response to the CDC there may be relaxation of some of the masking policies for outdoor areas and the like.  Honestly, I don’t envy a cruise line with a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated ships and sailings trying to corral and referee a mixed bag of protocols. 

We have cruises from Tampa and Ft Lauderdale in Dec/Jan.  At this point, there's no way we will make the final payments.  For us, the guidelines essentially say "enjoy 7 days sailing around while staying on your balcony except for meals (but meals is still a question because there's no way we can see a full ship doing any sort of social distancing unless they  significantly increase to maybe 4 seatings and all meals in the MDR).  To break up 7 days of just looking at water, we'll be stopping at some islands which you can either view from your balcony or join one of our highly rated, highly priced and crowded excursions to some place you've seen at least twice before."  Just sounds like a not fun way of spending our $$'s. 

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

The two cruises leave from Florida where it's not legal to ask passengers to show vaccine cards (which can be purchased online, just like service dog collars)...and relying on temperature scans and the quick covid test with accuracy of 20% false negatives isn't much help.  Even though we've had the two shots since January, it's hard to feel comfortable getting on s cruise ship. I don't think the CDC can fix this...it's just the new reality of crusing.

We're pretty much thinking of renting a house in Europe instead.  Two weeks in Bordeaux, on the Algarve or in Tuscany are sounding real good right now 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:05 PM, Gracie115 said:

This would require passengers to buy organized tours through the cruise line ahead of time.

Of note, the CDC also said cruise lines should limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination, which would take a number of Caribbean destinations out of itineraries.

So, it looks like we will probably be canceling our cruise based on all these 'new guidelines'.  It seems the more people are vaccinated, the more rules that are being put in place.  What I am reading is that unless we have a shore excursion we cannot leave the ship.  We have a port stop in Key West on Sunday and I planned on getting off the ship to attend Catholic Mass.  So, I won't be allowed to do this?  

• Like 1

Most of the advertisements for new cruises I am getting in the mail and e-mail are for foreign based cruises.  The restrictions on these seem more reasonable.  You do not need to wear a mask outside, etc..

These will most likely go as scheduled.  There is wayyyy to much uncertainty on US based cruises right now.  One week it looks like a go, the next week it does not.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

So let me get this straight.  People are going to cruise this summer, July, August around the hot Caribbean wearing a mask sitting by the pool, sweating profusely.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  Remember how crowded the elevators are on debarkation day.  So now only a few people are allowed in elevators at a time.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  Standing in line waiting for people to serve you six feet apart, the line will be out the restaurant to the pool.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  The price you have to pay to go through all this madness.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  Why is it that I can fly on an airplane sitting in the middle seat touching shoulders with passengers on each side, mask down while eating and drinking but cannot sit by the outside pool on a cruise without a mask on.  Stupid, can't fix stupid.  Folks I like freedom and I will pay for freedom.  I have visited four all inclusive resorts in Mexico the past six months and leaving next week for another one.  1000 dollars total for 5 nights including airfare for two people, not 1000 each but 1000 total.  I can sit by the pool, swim up to the bar, eat, drink all without a mask on.  Freedom folks.  Do what you want but I like Freedom.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

You have made your point more than abundantly clear. 

Very difficult to say if it’s over the top or not given the Covid situation around the world seems to change pretty rapidly one way or the other. We’re both vaccinated well in advance of any travel before our cruise next Feb and will base our decision on the restrictions at the time along with the issue of safety. If we were travelling in the next few months with these levels of restrictions in place we would stay in the UK, for us it’s going to impact our enjoyment far too much to spend thousands of pounds on. The limits on the numbers around the outside areas alone will create major problems ( chair hogs will go next level crazy) and we’re not interested in other limitations to eating which is a big part of our cruise. Cruise only shore excursions we can live with. Wearing a mask more or less the whole time when outside of our interior cabin is not something we would enjoy and as for wearing a band to monitor social distances, that’s not going to happen. We’d be happy with 100% vaccinated only onboard and would be more than happy to do LFT tests ( I do that at work anyway). It’s going to end up a personal decision and I wish those well who are happy to accept the CDC list, it’s not for us.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Truly a sad "discussion ".  Things continue in a changing status.  I am vaccinated and willing to cruise WHEN things settle down.  Emotions and name calling only make things worse.  The level of infections continues high despite warmer weather and good vaccination numbers.  Would be good to take a pause and simply wait and see how things go.  If you like the rules then cruise.  If not stay home as the rules are likely to change.

These rules are not for a holiday on the cruise; they are for a week long field trip to a local hospital.

• Like 3

On 5/6/2021 at 7:56 AM, TMLAalum said:

Hopefully by the time we cruise in January some of the mandates imposed by the CDC will be lifted, especially the one forbidding independent time in the various ports of call- I would hope that the goverments of the countries affected would lobby ours to allow vaccinated passengers to spend their money and time as they wish.

It is opposite: there will be more restriction in winter time (a typical flu season).

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:38 PM, cangelmd said:

My guess is they will close pools and hot tubs completely and just socially distance the loungers

Close everything - cruise to nowhere and nohow; perhaps, we should practice first cruise without water?

in a crazy house: “Why do you jump in the empty pool?” - “We are practicing swimming, and when we learn it properly, they will put water in it.”

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Just read the guidelines. Absolutely awful. Masks even outside, no prolonged drinking or eating , no tours on your own. My next cruise is 2/22/2022. Payment due 11/23. I will forfeit my non refundable deposit and cancel if not changed by then. I will go on Windstar out of St Martin and screw the CDC, cruises out of the US are doomed with these guys. Foreign ports are the answer,

I just cancelled my November 2021 Windstar cruise for the same reason (I received an email from them with all almost the same restrictions).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Windstar out of st Martin has no masks outside and  are outside of CDC regulations. States are eliminating regulations now ( Virginia as of 6/15 are eliminating all regulations  but indoor masks) and CDC acts as if it is 6 months ago . 

Not true. I received an email from them a few weeks ago with almost the same restrictions as those from yesterday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

I keep saying the same forever. No one honestly might say they enjoy such a vacation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wagontrail said:

So let me get this straight.  People are going to cruise this summer, July, August around the hot Caribbean wearing a mask sitting by the pool, sweating profusely.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  Remember how crowded the elevators are on debarkation day.  So now only a few people are allowed in elevators at a time.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  Standing in line waiting for people to serve you six feet apart, the line will be out the restaurant to the pool.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  The price you have to pay to go through all this madness.  Heck no and I mean heck no.  Why is it that I can fly on an airplane sitting in the middle seat touching shoulders with passengers on each side, mask down while eating and drinking but cannot sit by the outside pool on a cruise without a mask on.  Stupid, can't fix stupid.  Folks I like freedom and I will pay for freedom.  I have visited four all inclusive resorts in Mexico the past six months and leaving next week for another one.  1000 dollars total for 5 nights including airfare for two people, not 1000 each but 1000 total.  I can sit by the pool, swim up to the bar, eat, drink all without a mask on.  Freedom folks.  Do what you want but I like Freedom.

They purposely wrote these “rules” to make sure no one wants to go which is the same how it was in Hawaii when they said 14-day quarantine on arrival prior to whatever you plan to do when the majority go there for a week or so. - Please come, but... do not come. The end.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 5