Fun Times on App only?

nina_930

I saw a program discussing the things that may or may not be sticking around after Covid.  One of the things that was stated was that there would be an app for the fun times instead of the paper ones.  The app is convenient,  but I love the paper ones.  Has anyone heard any truth to this?  Just curious.

It won't be a deal breaker for me if it goes away, but I'd still like a paper copy. It's easier to skim through the night before and see what's happening the next day, plus it's a nice souvenir of the cruise. Maybe Carnival can stop leaving them in the cabins and just make them available at GS. That way they could get  a better idea of how many people really want one and print just the quantity needed. 

• Like 5

Hate carrying my phone around on a cruise ship.  Cruising is my time to disconnect for a week.  Would hope paper copies of fun times will be available.  Can just fold it up and put it into my pocket.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Fun Times will be the "plastic" straws of the future.  So much waste for so little value with every passenger having a phone.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be pushing the "wifi" programs in excess.  

What am i to read on the can if it goes ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I know some people love the paper copy and they should post a paper copy perhaps by the elevators for those who don't have a phone. I for one, much prefer the digital copy. Not only is it easier for them to make real-time updates to events, it saves so much waste. We usually throw ours (ANY paper that comes to the cabin) away as we're a digital family. I really wish they would incorporate the sail & sign card into The Hub app with NFC technology like most hotels now, so you could open your cabin door and other things with your phone. 

This reminds me of a thread on Facebook from our local media just yesterday talking about how states are moving to digital drivers licenses/IDs and phasing out hard copies of drivers licenses. Gotta adapt to the changing times. 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, teknoge3k said:

I know some people love the paper copy and they should post a paper copy perhaps by the elevators for those who don't have a phone. I for one, much prefer the digital copy. Not only is it easier for them to make real-time updates to events, it saves so much waste. We usually throw ours (ANY paper that comes to the cabin) away as we're a digital family. I really wish they would incorporate the sail & sign card into The Hub app with NFC technology like most hotels now, so you could open your cabin door and other things with your phone. 

This reminds me of a thread on Facebook from our local media just yesterday talking about how states are moving to digital drivers licenses/IDs and phasing out hard copies of drivers licenses. Gotta adapt to the changing times. 🙂 

I am with you and I think that is one more thing that would reduce germ transmission is getting rid of things that people touch and then leave behind.

On 5/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, pe4all said:

Hate carrying my phone around on a cruise ship.  Cruising is my time to disconnect for a week.  Would hope paper copies of fun times will be available.  Can just fold it up and put it into my pocket.

Fully agree.  We are going on our first Princess cruise next April and the upgraded package was 40 per day for drinks package,  grats and wifi.  Will never use the wifi.

On 5/8/2021 at 8:22 PM, nina_930 said:

I saw a program discussing the things that may or may not be sticking around after Covid.  One of the things that was stated was that there would be an app for the fun times instead of the paper ones.  The app is convenient,  but I love the paper ones.  Has anyone heard any truth to this?  Just curious.

John Heald has taken many polls on this on the other site and it always comes up that many still want them on paper.  I don't know why.  I would imagine for the foreseeable future they will be cutting down a lot of trees to continue printing the Fun Times.

On 5/9/2021 at 7:14 AM, Rudyard said:

. . . Maybe Carnival can stop leaving them in the cabins and just make them available at GS. That way they could get  a better idea of how many people really want one and print just the quantity needed. 

I was surprised they did not do this when the Hub App first launched 

My guess is that if they did this and just made printed copies available at GS or other areas of the ship, most of the paper copies would go unused 

Before they cut out the fun times they need to cut out all of the junk mail they leave in my room. I personally like the digital copy you can download. Not the fun hub version. The one that looks just like the printed fun times.

But there are people who aren’t going to want to carry phones with them so I think paper needs to be an option. But they should limit it to by request or have places where you can pick up a paper copy.

Edited by Saint Greg

10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Before they cut out the fun times they need to cut out all of the junk mail they leave in my room. I personally like the digital copy you can download. Not the fun hub version. The one that looks just like the printed fun times.

But there are people who aren’t going to want to carry phones with them so I think paper needs to be an option. But they should limit it to by request or have places where you can pick up a paper copy.

Totally agree with the junk mail.  How many art auction, spa, etc. papers do we need to get?  I know they make $$ off these offerings, but mine go right into the garbage.    They should stop the fun times in the cabins and just have them available at guest services.  If they run out they can run off another batch.  Would really cut down on the paper usage, and I still won't have to carry my cell phone around with me.

• Like 2

I like the Fun Times paper copy - it provides an easy-to-skim physical media, vs drilling up and down for activities, restaurants/menus, etc.

I also like to hold onto them as keepsakes as part of our "folder-of-stuff" for each cruise to reminisce in times we can't cruise.  Like the last year and half, for us.

• Like 1

I look forward to my paper copy of the Fun Times. I am in the group that does not like to carry around my phone all day. I like being able to skim the paper copy and then keep it in my pocket as we are out and about on the ship. 

On 5/9/2021 at 6:48 AM, HillBilly Bob said:

Fun Times will be the "plastic" straws of the future.  So much waste for so little value with every passenger having a phone.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be pushing the "wifi" programs in excess.  

Just a side note to add, you don't have to buy any wifi package in order to use the HUB app for the digital version of the Fun Times.

• Like 2

I like the paper Fun Times, but only the little tear-off portion that lists just the events/times and important information. I can easily do without all the other paper, but I like to tuck that little schedule into the lanyard I use to carry my Sail & Sign card that day, so that it's always at my fingertips. I prefer not to carry my phone around on board - almost none of my clothes have pockets (WHY do women's clothing designers do this?). 

I'm just wondering what everyone takes pictures with or how they communicate with their travel companions if they don't carry around a cell phone? It's also good for checking charges and such. I'd rather not carry my phone around also but these are important benefits that are pretty crucial. Posting the fun times digitally to the televisions in staterooms could be another good option.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I'm just wondering what everyone takes pictures with or how they communicate with their travel companions if they don't carry around a cell phone? It's also good for checking charges and such. I'd rather not carry my phone around also but these are important benefits that are pretty crucial. Posting the fun times digitally to the televisions in staterooms could be another good option.   

We are at the point in our cruising careers that we rarely take any photos onboard. We use sticky notes on doors to communicate, or make set meeting times/locations.  Never have, or will, use our cells onboard to communicate.

• Like 1