First time thinking of Oceania

JuneauGal

Hi, I am thinking of possibly going on an Oceania cruise in 2022. Has anyone sailed on both Oceania and SilverSea? I'm wondering how they compare? I have previously only been on Princess and Norwegian and want to go on a smaller boat. If anyone can give me some tips to avoid potential mistakes in booking, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

Check the topic for Newbie meeting with TA for first timer cruise info.

you will gather a lot of great info on this site. We have not been on Silversea but we know it has an  excellent reputation. This coming October on Riviera will be our 20th and we love the smaller ships with 684 and 1250 max passengers. The Oceania cruise family is wonderful as are the guests that frequent the cruises. Normally 60%+ are returning guests so you will learn a lot on this site. 
Ask any questions and you will get a lot of excellent feedback. 
Gerry and Bonnie

• Like 1

Since 2014, my wife and I have taken three cruises on Silversea and three on Oceania (all on the larger O ships). Both lines are great. You'll pay quite a bit more for Silversea on a comparable itinerary, but you're getting things that either aren't available on O or or only available in the highest-priced categories: e.g., unlimited wines and spirits, anywhere on the ship, any time of day; butler service for all cabin categories; larger suites in general, and no inside cabins. We're booked on the O Riviera for a Miami-to-Lisbon transatlantic next March, but seriously looked at a Silversea transatlantic that would have started on the same date. Ultimately, the deciding factor for us is that the Silversea ship is still under construction and we didn't want to worry if it would be completed on schedule. You really can't go wrong with either line.

One last thought: the fact that alcoholic drinks are included on Silversea makes socializing in the bars and at dinner a lot easier. You don't have the awkwardness of wondering if you should be offering to pay for the drinks of people you just met ten minutes ago. And it's nice not to have to take your room card out of your pocket every time you order something.

I'm curious, too.  We're booked on our first SS cruise, after doing several O cruises.  We noted that on our itinerary, there are 3 formal nights, quite a contrast to the country club casual on the most fancy expectations on O.  We're not formal night folks, but the itinerary trumped that.

The included beverage a package did not include the adult beverages we prefer, but if you're happy with the selection, that's OK. too. 

1 hour ago, jimdee3636 said:

One last thought: the fact that alcoholic drinks are included on Silversea makes socializing in the bars and at dinner a lot easier. You don't have the awkwardness of wondering if you should be offering to pay for the drinks of people you just met ten minutes ago. And it's nice not to have to take your room card out of your pocket every time you order something.

Never worried about that on Oceania   most pax understand  you do not need to offer to pay for others drinks   unless you are trying to "show off"

29 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Where are you going? Allow me to dream on!

In April-May, 2023, a 16-day, Tokyo to Tokyo cruise that circles Japan and also stops at 3 ports in South Korea, one of which may give us the opportunity to visit the DMZ.

We're also booked on a 17-night 'round New Zealand voyage on Azamara in January 2023 (we sailed on them once, before we found Oceania).

We wish Oceania had equivalent itineraries, because we really like the Oceania experience, but sadly, theirs are less interesting.

Edited by 1985rz1

Following.....we just booked our first Oceania cruise for June 2022 after several Celebrity Cruises, but have also checked out Silver Sea.  I've asked a lot of questions on Cruise Critic (including Oceania site) and received excellent advice.

Edited by DENIE

That Tokyo-Tokyo itinerary is great! I’ve often complained about Oceania’s very limited itinerary there, and am likewise booking a different line for there. I’m not a formal type guy, but for that itinerary, I’d gladly get the tux out. My wife enjoys getting dolled up occasionally. The formal event we normally attend was canceled last year, and we’ll be gone this year. Itinerary trumps all in my book.

Like that NZ itinerary also! 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

That Tokyo-Tokyo itinerary is great! I’ve often complained about Oceania’s very limited itinerary there, and am likewise booking a different line for there. I’m not a formal type guy, but for that itinerary, I’d gladly get the tux out. My wife enjoys getting dolled up occasionally. The formal event we normally attend was canceled last year, and we’ll be gone this year. Itinerary trumps all in my book.

We thought for formal nights, we'd formally eat in our stateroom 🥳.

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

PS. Our TA assures us that the SS regulars won't make us walk the plank just because we're country bumpkins🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We were first time on Oceania/Riviera May 2019 and loved it so much we booked 2 more Oceania cruises for 2020….and then COVID! Unfortunately the Alaska itinerary we wanted wasn’t available for 2022 so we are now booked on SS, also first time.

My friend highly recommended SS Shadow with land package and said it was fabulous.
As far as formal night goes, it’s my understanding that there are still other dining options to chose from if one isn’t so inclined to go formal. Otherwise, stateroom it is!

As for price, it was nice not to think about included/not included excursions or beverage package, etc.

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

We thought for formal nights, we'd formally eat in our stateroom 🥳.

IME some years ago the night's attire applied everywhere on the ship. On some ships there are less formal dining options on formal nights but on Silversea the dress code is all night everywhere - even the shows.

Thus if you didn't dress formal you had to spend the entire evening in your cabin, not just dinner.

Things may have changed.

PS AFAIR excursions are not included on Silversea

Edited by Paulchili

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

IME some years ago the night's attire applied everywhere on the ship. On some ships there are less formal dining options on formal nights but on Silversea the dress code is all night everywhere - even the shows.

Thus if you didn't dress formal you had to spend the entire evening in your cabin, not just dinner.

Things may have changed.

If I read the current dress code, there are venues that are not formal on formal nights, but sport coats are expected.  I also booked a special when the cruise was first open that included shore excursions.

Edited by 1985rz1

12 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

If I read the current dress code, there are venues that are not formal on formal nights, but sport coats are expected.  I also booked a special when the cruise was first open that included shore excursions.

That sounds like progress to me 😀

I am sure you will enjoy the cruise - it's an excellent line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Things may have changed.

Indeed they have changed:  "we have added shore excursions as well for classic cruises from Summer 2022"

https://www.silversea.com/life-onboard/all-inclusive-luxury-cruises.html

9 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Things may have changed.

Would be interested in trying Silversea but the formal nights rule it out for me.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Would be interested in trying Silversea but the formal nights rule it out for me.

Would be interested in cruising Oceania for our Japan cruise but the itineraries rule it out for me.

All a matter of priorities. The continued cruisers versus travelers saga.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:03 AM, Paulchili said:

Things may have changed.

Paul

I looked at the Setting Sail Guide that came with our booking and it states that on formal nights, guest may dine in La Terraza and choose to dress informal (jackets, no ties for men, dresses or slacks and jacket for women) and dining at the Grill is informal all nights, including formal nights.  Following dinner, a jacket is required in public spaces, but not formal wear.  Since we not the shorts/Hawaiian shirts (sorry Dan  😅)/beachwear types, this works just fine for us.

Edited by 1985rz1

19 hours ago, mexicobob said:

Ditto. Also, I was checking out the deck plans on some of their ships and it appears that all guest cabins are mid-ship and forward. None are aft. My preference to avoid mal de mer is to be low and mid to aft. No way I'm sailing in a forward cabin.

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Paul

I looked at the Setting Sail Guide that came with our booking and it states that on formal nights, guest may dine in La Terraza and choose to dress informal (jackets, no ties for men, dresses or slacks and jacket for women) and dining at the Grill is informal all nights, including formal nights.  Following dinner, a jacket is required in public spaces, but not formal wear.  Since we not the shorts/Hawaiian shirts (sorry Dan  😅)/beachwear types, this works just fine for us.

Sounds like you should have no problem re:dress code.

Obviously our experience is ancient.

It is a great line - dress code used to be our main opposition to sailing with them more often.

• Like 1