MASKS REQUIRED ?

oldpharmguy

Right now, masks are required for the Greece sailings and Gus Atorcha said in a recent interview that the covid protocols will be updated on the website in a few weeks.

It’s anyone’s guess right now but considering the current Caribbean sailings by other cruise lines starting shortly require full vaccination and masks, it is certainly a strong possibility that masks may be required.

According to Gus A, it will depend on the countries and port requirements the ships are visiting.

Gus has said in an earlier interview, as did Richard Fain (CEO RCCL), that they expect the protocols to change often as progress is made.  Both have stated they expect major changes to protocols every three months.  This all assumes that the CDC sail orders are valid or the Emergency Health Declaration is lifted. If the CDC is struck down in court or the Emergency Health Declaration is lifted none of what we speculate now will make any difference.  You should carefully review the sail with confidence guarantee as it allows penalty free cancellations.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

sail with confidence guarantee as it allows penalty free cancellations.   

Store credit only no full cash refund, which is a shame imho

I say this because if a person cancels they can only receive a FCC and then all of a sudden passes before they rebook.. oh well..... FCC are not transferable 

Masks will probably be required for the startup and as Mary229 mentioned the Protocols will be reviewed and changed as progress is made.  Here's a Letter to the Carnival Crew for returning back to Ship Life and what they can expect.  I want to note that Christine Duffy did mention in another Letter to the Crew a week ago that if they cannot be Vaccinated at home the Cruise Line will help them get Vaccinated.  My guess is that HAL's will be similar to Carnival's.

The New Reality for Carnival Cruise Line Crew Members (cruisehive.com)

• Like 1

Here’s some notes on and a link to the live interview with Gus Antorcha last week. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779762-gus-antorcha-live/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-61088385

As others have said, they will follow the protocols set by the various countries and cities the ship is in. There will be some level of masking initially, GA specifically mentioned perhaps even when walking throughout the ship.

Edited by syesmar

I also think we will see masks required at first, then depending on how it goes, perhaps less usuage of them onboard, perhaps after 90 days or so.  The cruise lines need to be very cautious with this IMO.

23 hours ago, rucrazy said:

Store credit only no full cash refund, which is a shame imho

I say this because if a person cancels they can only receive a FCC and then all of a sudden passes before they rebook.. oh well..... FCC are not transferable 

Hopefully that won't happen, but there is a department at HAL that deals with this. You can get a refund but you'll have to provide a death certificate or other proof.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Hopefully that won't happen, but there is a department at HAL that deals with this. You can get a refund but you'll have to provide a death certificate or other proof.

Thank you I stand corrected!

There is some chance that masks might not be required on ship if the cruise line requires everyone to be vaccinated based upon the CDC's most recent update.

if not then almost certainly some level of masking will be required this year.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

There is some chance that masks might not be required on ship if the cruise line requires everyone to be vaccinated based upon the CDC's most recent update.

if not then almost certainly some level of masking will be required this year.

That's not the way I read it.  What it says is that masks may not be required in outdoor venues on the ship and outdoor bars and food service may be allowed but nothing indoors will be mask free.  Anything indoors other than in your cabin will still require masks.

20 minutes ago, caladezi said:

That's not the way I read it.  What it says is that masks may not be required in outdoor venues on the ship and outdoor bars and food service may be allowed but nothing indoors will be mask free.  Anything indoors other than in your cabin will still require masks.

You are correct as far as the current language

However, keep in mind that the update is for vaccinated passengers on what may be a mixed ship (vaccinated and unvaccinated).  As such one might expect the rules to be even more relaxed on a fully vaccinated ship which is why I stated that