Senate passes the Alaska Tourism Recovery Act

Cruise Suzy

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Unbelievable.  They cater to the cruise lines and give them a huge concession without any quid pro quo.  The foreign flag ships can still import any supplies and spare parts they need without paying customs duty on them (even though it is now a domestic voyage), liquor is still duty free for the cruise lines, and while the passengers are not leaving the US, the crew are "deemed" to be entering Canada, so they don't have to adhere to any US labor laws.  If they wanted to give this to the cruise lines, they should have at least required some compensation, not just given the store away.

It’s only for a short period.  Not like the lines have not suffered extreme financial distress over the last year.  They still have to clear the CDC hurdle.  Maybe the can get some Alaska cruises going mid to late August and salvage a partial season.  Who knows how many businesses it will help in Alaska as well.  I did not think Congress would ever agree on this but was wrong.

Edited by KirkNC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Unbelievable.  They cater to the cruise lines and give them a huge concession without any quid pro quo.  The foreign flag ships can still import any supplies and spare parts they need without paying customs duty on them (even though it is now a domestic voyage), liquor is still duty free for the cruise lines, and while the passengers are not leaving the US, the crew are "deemed" to be entering Canada, so they don't have to adhere to any US labor laws.  If they wanted to give this to the cruise lines, they should have at least required some compensation, not just given the store away.

The quid pro quo is that the cruise lines will bring their passengers to Alaska who, in turn, will spend dollars to boost the Alaskan economy, which was hit hard by the pandemic.  Good for the citizens of Alaska.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Domer81mpc said:

The quid pro quo is that the cruise lines will bring their passengers to Alaska who, in turn, will spend dollars to boost the Alaskan economy, which was hit hard by the pandemic.  Good for the citizens of Alaska.

And, that quid pro quo costs the cruise lines what?  It allows them to make a profit in a market they are not normally entitled to be in.  Setting aside the strictly economic reasons for a PVSA waiver, which has been traditionally a reason for denial, the cruise lines are still operating at an unfair advantage to those US flag cruises that have ramped up for this season.  Great for some of the citizens of Alaska (and many of those who work in the cruise ports over the summer are not Alaskans), but pitiful for the US in general.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

And, that quid pro quo costs the cruise lines what?  It allows them to make a profit in a market they are not normally entitled to be in.  Setting aside the strictly economic reasons for a PVSA waiver, which has been traditionally a reason for denial, the cruise lines are still operating at an unfair advantage to those US flag cruises that have ramped up for this season.  Great for some of the citizens of Alaska (and many of those who work in the cruise ports over the summer are not Alaskans), but pitiful for the US in general.

Think you're on the wrong thread ... how about posting all this negativity on the Debbie Downer thread.  🙄

• Like 7

Just now, zelker said:

Think you're on the wrong thread ... how about posting all this negativity on the Debbie Downer thread.  🙄

I think it's a case of "egg on face"!  🤣 Agree, it belongs on the Debbie Downer thread!  😁

• Like 4

I for one am thrilled, not just because I do have a cruise booked for what is now Nieuw Amsterdam in September but I am thrilled for the Alaskan merchants. I plan to go on excursions and spend money in ports. I cannot wait to buy me some glass jar smoked salmon at Taku Store next to the port. Love their salmon. But my number one thing I cannot wait for is Fortress of the Bear, this opened since my last time to Sitka and have been wanting to go there for years.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Now I see the peoblem.  It is a mistaken belief that a "quid pro quo" requires a "cost".  It does not.  Many a negotiation was built on quid pro quos that "cost" nothing and resulted in "profit".  But to each his own.  Happy sailing.

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It allows them to make a profit in a market they are not normally entitled to be in. 

Finally,  I can prove my point to the CC readers who follow :  "Markets get what they want"

41 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It’s only for a short period.  Not like the lines have not suffered extreme financial distress over the last year.  They still have to clear the CDC hurdle.  Maybe the can get some Alaska cruises going mid to late August and salvage a partial season.  Who knows how many businesses it will help in Alaska as well.  I did not think Congress would ever agree on this but was wrong.

In the process of doing a land trip to Alaska, including a couple of the port towns.  Several of the hotels where we have made reservations have stated that their bookings are extremely high. Biggest issue is getting workers, not tourists.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I for one am thrilled, not just because I do have a cruise booked for what is now Nieuw Amsterdam in September but I am thrilled for the Alaskan merchants. I plan to go on excursions and spend money in ports. I cannot wait to buy me some glass jar smoked salmon at Taku Store next to the port. Love their salmon. But my number one thing I cannot wait for is Fortress of the Bear, this opened since my last time to Sitka and have been wanting to go there for years.

We really enjoyed Fortress of the Bear on our August, 2019 Amsterdam stop in Sitka.  Enjoy! 😀

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Domer81mpc said:

It might also help Seattle.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The real loser is now Canada whose tourism and jobs related to cruising in Canadian ports will have no income again this summer. 

Playing hard to get can backfire with bad consequences. Now Canada knows.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Now that we’re thru expressing our “ opinion “ to each other, the question is when does the bill go to POTUS ?

Supposedly immediately, once the document is prepared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

What US flags were ramping up for Alaska this season?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

"Temporary" provisions have a way of becoming permanent in Washington DC.    There is a lot of lobbying power behind this waiver.   Who will be lobbying on the other side?    

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The real loser is now Canada whose tourism and jobs related to cruising in Canadian ports will have no income again this summer. 

Truly a question based on ignorance.  What is the status of sailing the Inside Passage without ‘entering’ Canada?  I love that route.  It must be Canadian waters, but can foreign vessels still transit?

Dennis

11 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

Truly a question based on ignorance.  What is the status of sailing the Inside Passage without ‘entering’ Canada?  I love that route.  It must be Canadian waters, but can foreign vessels still transit?

Dennis

most of the inside passage between Vancouver Island and the mainland is in Canadian waters and from what I have read off limits to passengers ships for now.

32 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

"Temporary" provisions have a way of becoming permanent in Washington DC.    There is a lot of lobbying power behind this waiver.   Who will be lobbying on the other side?    

Agreed but this legislation has a hard end date so it would take another bill to extend or make permanent.

• Thanks 1