Odyssey re-deploying due to Middle East conflict?

This was posted right now on the Israeli CC, according to the port authorities in Haifa:

Royal Caribbean has no plans to change cruise itineraries scheduled for Odyssey of the Seas out of Haifa, Israel due to escalating political tensions in the country.

Odyssey of the Seas is due to homeport in Haifa from June and sail week-long Mediterranean cruises visiting Cyprus and the Greek Isles, but those deployment plans were announced before a renewed spate of hostilities between Israel and Hamas.

At the time of writing, Odyssey of the Seas was en-route from Haifa to Limassol, Cyprus, but without any passengers onboard. The ship called in Haifa last month to take on new crew members, as well as to get crew members vaccinated.

She is due to return to the city before the end of May for additional training and vaccinations, before commencing her Israel cruise season on June 4th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

A tale of Homeric woe. 

Maybe it was an inappropriate name🤔

Seems like a highly appropriate name, didn’t Odysseus take 20 years to get home to his lovely wife, only to find his house over run by suitors?  Hopefully it won’t take 20 years for it to take its first official cruise.  

JC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, xpcdoojk said:

Seems like a highly appropriate name, didn’t Odysseus take 20 years to get home to his lovely wife, only to find his house over run by suitors?  Hopefully it won’t take 20 years for it to take its first official cruise.  

JC

Appropriate for the wrong reason, though

28 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

JC

Ha! Thanks. Like told my Children, now my Grands, "Learn something new everyday"  ...some more entertaining then most. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ha! Thanks. Like told my Children, now my Grands, "Learn something new everyday"  ...some more entertaining then most. 

I can discuss the tribulations that poor Odysseus suffered during the 20 years to make it even more appropriate.  Bottom line to Homer, don’t make the gods mad they will torment you for a long time.  I can’t believe I actually read it and the Iliad as a youth.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I can discuss the tribulations that poor Odysseus suffered during the 20 years to make it even more appropriate.  Bottom line to Homer, don’t make the gods mad they will torment you for a long time.  I can’t believe I actually read it and the Iliad as a youth.  

Well said. Had a great 7th Grade English Lit Teacher 44yrs ago, when read Post story came back to me. That's a good Teacher

Edited by ONECRUISER

35 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Well said. Had a great 7th Grade English Lit Teacher 44yrs ago, when read Post story came back to me. That's a good Teacher

Mr. Ritchie, 6th grade, history of the Greek and Roman gods....never forget it, my fave.  They don't teach that any more along with no cursive writing, what happens when the grid goes down???????????  I refuse to mention how long ago😪

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

We live in a volatile country, and plans can change within 24 hours or less.

Precisely. To me, it seems like a highly logical plan to move the ship for now, and wait and see. I don't have a crystal ball or a direct connection to the brain of any RCI decision makers, but if I had to guess ... they, like many of us, will be holding their breath and crossing their fingers and seeing how things unfold.

Edited by la_croisiere_s'amuse
  • Thanks 1

Cruise Law News claims

Cruising from Israel (scheduled for June from Haifa, Israel to Limassol, Cyprus) cancelled due to ongoing deadly violence, according to a crew member who wishes to remain anonymous.
Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas now heading to Cyprus to meet Anthem of the Seas where it will transfer 50 crew members. Anthem will then sail to the U.K. and Odyssey will sail to the U.S.

2 hours ago, springaussie said:

Cruise Law News claims

Cruising from Israel (scheduled for June from Haifa, Israel to Limassol, Cyprus) cancelled due to ongoing deadly violence, according to a crew member who wishes to remain anonymous.
Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas now heading to Cyprus to meet Anthem of the Seas where it will transfer 50 crew members. Anthem will then sail to the U.K. and Odyssey will sail to the U.S.

38 minutes ago, logan25 said:

Still, the cruises are just now open to bookings on the official Royal site....

Edited by dani negreanu

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Still, the cruises are just now open to bookings on the official Royal site....

Maybe Royal just wants to hold more people's $$$ for a little while before each sailing is officially canceled.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Maybe Royal just wants to hold more people's $$$ for a little while before each sailing is officially canceled.

Or, more likely since this is such a recent development they are getting all their ducks in a row before making an announcement. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vibe said:

Makes you wonder though why we can't hear it first from Royal Caribbean rather then outside sources.

Just put a bad taste in your mouth. Why can't they be upfront on what is going on................yeah before everyone tells me it's an everychanging enviroment.

Tired of hearing that BS, get off the pot and tell everyone what your thoughts are and where this cruiseline is heading?

• Like 1