FLL departure: too early?

Humoristix

I know it’s been asked before but I’m curious to see who else had a flight leaving Ft. Lauderdale around 11:30am. The next flight would be at 3pm or 3:30pm so we would rather avoid waiting hours before heading home. I thought ‘we are on Celebrity Edge, Magic Carpet, vaccinated, debarkation would go fast’ and we should be at the airport no later than 9am, so plenty of time.

I read that the airport is very busy on the week-end (sunday our departure) so I got a little worried.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Your flight time would be fine pre covid and probably now. Since there are no ships sailing it is harder to advise but we've made this flight time with time to spare. It was even ok using luggage valet.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

Just now, Humoristix said:

Two positive experiences. Good news 🙂

It's something like 3-ish miles in total driving distance form the port to the airport.  So you should be ok if you get off extremely early and have pre-arranged transport.  I went through the cruise line when I did it.

Pre-covid we usually were at the airport before 8 a.m. when we lined up EARLY and got off ourselves.  We didn't bother with breakfast.   We never pre-arranged our transportation - just grabbed a taxi.   When you line up well before the time they tell you it's possible to be among the first dozen or so people off the ship.   But.... you have to get up and get down there and not wait for the stated time.   It was always a little bit of a risk but we never missed our 9:30 or 10 a.m. flight.   TSA-Pre always helps too.    And....we weren't stressed.   if we happened to miss our flight there were always flights later in the day.   When the cruise is over we want to get home, we don't care to linger on the ship or in a hotel.  

We took our first flight since Feb. 2020, two weeks ago.   The only changes I noted were masks of course everywhere and some of the eateries and shops in the terminal were dark.   Full planes.   It was good to be in the air again and we look forward to our first cruise but that's not until summer 2022.   

Disembarking on a Friday in November 2019, I was luggage tag No18 which was called at 0745.  Finding luggage and getting through Immigration took a little while, then onto the Celebrity bus which left the port around 0830.  I was at the airport, checked in and airside by 0930 in plenty of time for my 1200 flight - which was then delayed by almost 3 hours!

Well, I’m gonna sleep like a baby in the next 11 months. 

What if I change for the 7am flight? Just kidding.

Lol @ the 3 hours delay, Tigrou.

All great news although I might just use Dwight’s program, just to be safe.

Thanks to all.

Edited by Humoristix

21 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Do the self embarkation. Celebrity has or use to have a program that you can have your bags outside your door checked directly to your airline , no carrying to the airport or checking. The fee was $25 per person I loved it. I got to my noon FLL flight two hours early snd I had breakfast onboard !!

The delivery of bags to airline doesn't include flights to Canada, unfortunately. As for self disembarkation, unless there is a real slowdown in processing passengers, an early time will suffice and save you from having to lug your bags off the ship.

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The delivery of bags to airline doesn't include flights to Canada, unfortunately. As for self disembarkation, unless there is a real slowdown in processing passengers, an early time will suffice and save you from having to lug your bags off the ship.

Oops, thank you for that clarification, Fouremco.

P.S.: Fouremco: Kotkaniemi for Tkachuk. Deal?

Edited by Humoristix

I would not plan on using a taxi to get to the airport.  The Edge terminal is the farthest from the port entrance and the taxis tend to go to those other terminals.  This might not be a problem when the port isn't very busy but on a crowded Saturday or Sunday I've seen it  be a real problem.  Long lines of people waiting for a taxi but no taxis making it that far.

2 hours ago, ClaudiaB said:

Pre-covid we usually were at the airport before 8 a.m. when we lined up EARLY and got off ourselves.  We didn't bother with breakfast.   We never pre-arranged our transportation - just grabbed a taxi.   When you line up well before the time they tell you it's possible to be among the first dozen or so people off the ship.   But.... you have to get up and get down there and not wait for the stated time.   It was always a little bit of a risk but we never missed our 9:30 or 10 a.m. flight.   TSA-Pre always helps too.    And....we weren't stressed.   if we happened to miss our flight there were always flights later in the day.   When the cruise is over we want to get home, we don't care to linger on the ship or in a hotel.  

We took our first flight since Feb. 2020, two weeks ago.   The only changes I noted were masks of course everywhere and some of the eateries and shops in the terminal were dark.   Full planes.   It was good to be in the air again and we look forward to our first cruise but that's not until summer 2022.   

We had done the same thing pre COVID, 10 am easy.  Be advised, based on the amount of pax during cruise crush times, sometimes all TSA lanes default to Pre Check protocols. This means the lines may be a bit longer.  Big unknown is what immigration will now look like. Sometimes Global Entry is open, sometimes not.  And the cruise line employees always want to see your small Global Entry card.

if we happened to miss our flight there were always flights later in the day.  

And remember that you are NOT guaranteed any seat on those later flights.  You would be only able to fly on flights that have available space -- and your status for any rebooking would be dependent on a number of factors, including your fare basis and any airline status.  Remember - the airline will NOT bump anyone off the next flight (or any other) to make room for you.

We took our first flight since Feb. 2020, two weeks ago.   The only changes I noted were masks of course everywhere and some of the eateries and shops in the terminal were dark.   Full planes.

Making an interesting counterpoint to your above assertion.  Those full flights argue against being able to get another later flight.

2 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Do the self embarkation. Celebrity has or use to have a program that you can have your bags outside your door checked directly to your airline , no carrying to the airport or checking. The fee was $25 per person I loved it. I got to my noon FLL flight two hours early snd I had breakfast onboard !!

Luggage valet program was often not available for earlier flights at least before noon.

The self debark plan is now very popular and out of control...unless you are in a suite you could be on a long line starting very early.

Try asking cust rel for a very early group from the theater,   and hope for the best.  Likely you will make it but no guarantees!   We skippd the Elite waiting area ..went to the theater and wheeled off easily

. Getting a porter also helps you get through customs quickly and they get you right into a taxi

We  personally would not take the early flt.. too much stress, esp if a later flt is available

34 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

You are within 30 minutes of the recommended 12 PM time.  I would go for it.  Just disembark early and schedule a ride to the airport.

me too

We have done this departure time, back to Canada in the past, pre-Covid of course.  With early self-disembarkation and a pre-arranged car to airport, you will be fine. Just as long as new protocols don’t hang on into next spring.....

We have been on Celebrity cruises each March or April for the last fifteen years.  We always have a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago O'Hare leaving around noon.  We do the early walk off carrying our own luggage, take a taxi to the airport, and have always been at the airport by like nine at the latest.  Sometimes we get to the airport by seven thirty or eight, depending on how quickly we get off the ship.

We have never had a problem.  The people that say you can not make a late morning or early afternoon flight are wrong.  Just carry your own luggage off.  Taxis are never a problem.  And yes, our last March cruise was on the Edge, and no problem with taxis.    

15 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

We had done the same thing pre COVID, 10 am easy.  Be advised, based on the amount of pax during cruise crush times, sometimes all TSA lanes default to Pre Check protocols. This means the lines may be a bit longer.  Big unknown is what immigration will now look like. Sometimes Global Entry is open, sometimes not.  And the cruise line employees always want to see your small Global Entry card.

Global Entry has always been open the times I have been thru FLL which greatly reduces your wait time at the port.

On 5/15/2021 at 4:37 PM, Humoristix said:

I know it’s been asked before but I’m curious to see who else had a flight leaving Ft. Lauderdale around 11:30am. The next flight would be at 3pm or 3:30pm so we would rather avoid waiting hours before heading home. I thought ‘we are on Celebrity Edge, Magic Carpet, vaccinated, debarkation would go fast’ and we should be at the airport no later than 9am, so plenty of time.

I read that the airport is very busy on the week-end (sunday our departure) so I got a little worried.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I think you'll be fine.  By April of 2022, even with new protocols, they should have the process somewhat perfected.

Pre-COVID, no issues.  In the foreseeable future?  Who knows. Will there be enough Uber or taxi drivers working by then?  We just got back from a trip to Lauderdale. Took Uber from our hotel to the airport.  Two years ago it cost us about $25.  This year it was $85.  I do not exaggerate.  My point besides prices is that they can charge those obscene prices because they are so short of drivers right now. If they don’t staff up, who knows how long a wait people may have when sailing starts again.