Dress Code

stamford57

Just now, caribill said:

Not really.

I hate wearing a suit and a tie, but I do it on formal evenings.

But I go back to the cabin and change out of it as soon as dinner is over and then go to the other evening's events.

Concur.  Wife doesn't mind me cleaning up my act either.  Tux all the way, easy to maintain and I don't have to think about what I am going to wear...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

For as long as I can recall, formal nights on Princess for the guys has been a pair of Dockers & either a dress shirt without a tie, guayabera shirt or polo shirt.

The days of requiring a suit or blazer are long gone & I don't expect them to return in the future. 

Polo shirt? Maybe pushing it just a wee smidge...

54 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

This has been our experience too......it is much more causal then formal.....and a really lots of outdated and old fashioned formal clothes too on many men and women.......

"Outdated and old fashioned"?  I hope to run into you on a cruise; none of our formal wear would fit into either category, and it is definitely the definition of formal (the profile pic is 18 years old, so don't use that as your point of reference). DH wears a tailored modern tux and I wear an evening gown, but not "old fashioned"; usually from the current year's showing in NY / Paris.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, iancal said:

Huge difference.  On a cruise I am a customer.  At a wedding I am a guest.

Really, who cares whether the jacket is plaid or a blazer?   Or if the slacks are dress or cotton Dockers?

Or an ill fitting, seen better days, out of fashion tux or dress purchased 15 years ago when the owner was 30lbs lighter and an inch or so taller.

When you say the vibe for everyone I suspect you really mean the vibe for you.

Why is it so difficult to adhere to the dress code on a cruise line? Find the cruise line that best suits your comfort level.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

Why is it so difficult to adhere to the dress code on a cruise line? Find the cruise line that best suits your comfort level.

get back to me when Princess starts 'enforcing' the so-called dress code so I can evaluate ...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, maggie777 said:

We do adhere to the dress code-especially now since it has gone casual.

My point is that we don't stress over it nor do we care, criticize, or suggest alternate attire for those who do not. 

We mind our own business and do not concern ourselves with others.  Especially with things over which we have zero control or influence.  We are not busybodies.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, voljeep said:

get back to me when Princess starts 'enforcing' the so-called dress code so I can evaluate ...

I agree that dress code  enforcement varies by region and Maitre D. I have also seen it vary by cruise length. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iancal said:

We do adhere to the dress code-especially now since it has gone casual.

My point is that we don't stress over it nor do we care, criticize, or suggest alternate attire for those who do not. 

We mind our own business and do not concern ourselves with others.  Especially with things over which we have zero control or influence.  We are not busybodies.

When did Princess go totally casual? I also prefer casual but enjoy watching others enjoying their "dress up nights "

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Huge difference.  On a cruise I am a customer.  At a wedding I am a guest.

Try getting into the Magic Castle next time you're in L.A. without a coat and tie. Likewise a high end steakhouse in many cities. Just tell them that you're a customer. OTOH, you're an invited guest at the Captain's Circle party. You merited that invitation by your loyalty, but it is a formal party. Just saying... I want to dress how I want on vacation most evenings, but a couple nights on a cruise It's fun to wear a tux.

Suits and sportcoats are for work. Tuxedos and dinner jackets are party wear; there's a difference. I wouldn't want to wear office clothes on the ship either.  No disrespect to anyone who chooses not to participate, or tell anyone what they ought to wear. It's about having fun. I wish more saw it that way.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, maggie777 said:

I agree that dress code  enforcement varies by region and Maitre D. I have also seen it vary by cruise length. 

We have seen this too.....some cruises there are at least 7 formal nights and things do get lax as you noted......

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Try getting into the Magic Castle next time you're in L.A. without a coat and tie. Likewise a high end steakhouse in many cities. 

The. Magic Castle is a private clubhouse......not the same as a cruise ship....did you mean high end restaurant.....steak houses do not reek of exclusivity where I come from.......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

For as long as I can recall, formal nights on Princess for the guys has been a pair of Dockers & either a dress shirt without a tie, guayabera shirt or polo shirt.

The days of requiring a suit or blazer are long gone & I don't expect them to return in the future. 

On the Princess world cruises ex Sydney, formal night is still big, tuxedos and dark suits abound, long gowns for ladies.

• Like 2

Knowing that it will not change a single mind, nor with that intent...

Princess is offering a SHARED vacation experience where Princess establishes the atmosphere and expectations each passenger can expect.  Princess is clear about standards of dress and behavior that every passenger is expected to maintain so that every passenger gets the atmosphere and experiences promised.  If you can't abide by the standards Princess publishes up front then perhaps this sort of shared vacation experience may not be for you.

By way of a examples:

The ships smoking policy established what the shared vacation will be like.  Smoking is not allowed in cabins or in public areas except the very few locations explicitly permitted.  Well, I for one don't go on vacation to be denied simple pleasures.  I couldn't smoke at work for 30 years, so I'm not going to be forced not to smoke on vacation.  If I smoke in my stateroom it's not going to affect anyone else.  

Dress codes and arguments against following them are the same.  We agreed to it.  Princess even provides means to not dress formally on formal nights: Don't eat in the dining rooms.  But, people want their way even when they agreed to something else... because they can get away with it and there's nothing other passengers can do about it, so there!

The only reason this is a topic is because of Princess enforcing some rules and not others.

Violate smoking policy and Princess is there to remind you of the rules.  Do it enough and you'll be invited to leave the ship.  No two ways about it.

On formal nights if Princess denied entry to MDR, directing people to other non-formal venues for dinner EVERY SINGLE TIME, then it's not an issue. Eventually people will understand Dress code will be enforced so it will become the violator's problem instead of our problem.  Eventually we will ALL get the formal environment we signed up for.  

This is only an issue because Princess made it an issue.  People are selfish and will try to get away with anything they can.  Princess let them get away with it.

And, before anyone tries... Wanted what we all agreed to is not being selfish, it's fulfilling our agreements.

But, the dress code ship has sailed.  Princess needs to make a change one way or the other: Enforce the expectation or remove the expectation. 

Makes me wonder what Princess gets out of this lack of clarity end resulting drama.  As long we we blame each other, Princess get's to promise one thing and deliver another.

Edited by The Greater Fool
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

Princess is offering a SHARED vacation experience where Princess establishes the atmosphere and expectations each passenger can expect.  Princess is clear about standards of dress and behavior that every passenger is expected to maintain so that every passenger gets the atmosphere and experiences promised.  If you can't abide by the standards Princess publishes up front then perhaps this sort of shared vacation experience may not be for you.

By way of a examples:

The ships smoking policy established what the shared vacation will be like.  Smoking is not allowed in cabins or in public areas except the very few locations explicitly permitted.  Well, I for one don't go on vacation to be denied simple pleasures.  I couldn't smoke at work for 30 years, so I'm not going to be forced not to smoke on vacation.  If I smoke in my stateroom it's not going to affect anyone else.  

Dress codes and arguments against following them are the same.  We agreed to it.  Princess even provides means to not dress formally on formal nights: Don't eat in the dining rooms.  But, people want their way even when they agreed to something else... because they can get away with it and there's nothing other passengers can do about it, so there!

The only reason this is a topic is because of Princess enforcing some rules and not others.

Violate smoking policy and Princess is there to remind you of the rules.  Do it enough and you'll be invited to leave the ship.  No two ways about it.

On formal nights if Princess denied entry to MDR, directing people to other non-formal venues for dinner EVERY SINGLE TIME, then it's not an issue. Eventually people will understand Dress code will be enforced so it will become the violator's problem instead of our problem.  Eventually we will ALL get the formal environment we signed up for.  

This is only an issue because Princess made it an issue.  People are selfish and will try to get away with anything they can.  Princess let them get away with it.

And, before anyone tries... Wanted what we all agreed to is not being selfish, it's fulfilling our agreements.

But, the dress code ship has sailed.  Princess needs to make a change one way or the other: Enforce the expectation or remove the expectation. 

Makes me wonder what Princess gets out of this lack of clarity end resulting drama.  As long we we blame each other, Princess get's to promise one thing and deliver another.

Great post.

As an observation, why do so many people that do not adhere to the dress code, also seem incapable of using a knife and fork? 

Assuming you are right handed, your knife is held in your right hand, your fork is in your left hand, and that is how you eat. Why switch your fork to your right hand to eat? You are not a 6 year old child! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, rodndonna said:

Is a "patch pocket" the pocket you put the pocket square (folded hankercheif) in? 

No. It is a tailoring term and technique. The pocket is in effect a patch of cloth sewn on externally to the cloth as opposed to a pocket which is created by making a slit in the cloth and sewing a "container"  of fabric to the other side of the slit.

Another tack.... formal night is a given in the MDR on Princess......

Does it hurt you to dress up a bit A jacket shirt and tie, make me look almost human...lol

If you are so against dressing up ( going with the flow )

on formal night go a specialty restaurant     or the buffet... or even room service

you could even go to IC  sandwiches, cakes. cheese and the bar is nextdoor....

Cheers Don    who does like dressing up.... for dinner and not a funeral 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Suits and sportcoats are for work. Tuxedos and dinner jackets are party wear; there's a difference. I wouldn't want to wear office clothes on the ship either.  No disrespect to anyone who chooses not to participate, or tell anyone what they ought to wear. It's about having fun. I wish more saw it that way.

Actually Tuxedos originated as work wear. They were originally the suits of waiters at fancy restaurants.

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Great post.

As an observation, why do so many people that do not adhere to the dress code, also seem incapable of using a knife and fork? 

Assuming you are right handed, your knife is held in your right hand, your fork is in your left hand, and that is how you eat. Why switch your fork to your right hand to eat? You are not a 6 year old child! 

I know no one in the US who uses their fork with their left hand. I never have. Always wear a tux on formal night etc. but this is very interesting. Ill have to pay attention, especially on my next cruise on Cunard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

The. Magic Castle is a private clubhouse......not the same as a cruise ship....did you mean high end restaurant.....steak houses do not reek of exclusivity where I come from.......

He said high end steak house. He was not referring to a low quality chain such as Outback.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2021 at 2:51 PM, wowzz said:

Yes, a translation issue. A sports coat (or jacket) implies a checked jacket, that would normally be worn with moleskin trousers.

I'm sure you do see blazers in London, but wear a blazer anywhere else in the UK and you will srand out like a sore thumb, unless you are going in for a David Niven look alike competition !

Many schools in the UK require the wearing of a blazer as part of the school uniform.

Maybe the person concerned wishes formal night was a school themed fancy dress party?

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 8:49 AM, caribill said:

I remember one formal evening on a cruise where someone showed up in the dining room with a (nice) cowboy hat on. When questioned he said "In west Texas, this is formal."

I hope he had the grace to take his hat off unless he was wearing it for a religious purpose.

2 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

By way of a examples:

😍  Where have you been all my life 

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

Another tack.... formal night is a given in the MDR on Princess......

Does it hurt you to dress up a bit A jacket shirt and tie, make me look almost human...lol

If you are so against dressing up ( going with the flow )

on formal night go a specialty restaurant     or the buffet... or even room service

you could even go to IC  sandwiches, cakes. cheese and the bar is nextdoor....

Cheers Don    who does like dressing up.... for dinner and not a funeral 

I agree with you except for the "Specialty Restaurant" part.

Per Princess":

These distinctive restaurants provide intimate dining in an upscale atmosphere. Reservations are suggested at these popular venues. And because these restaurants at sea are truly a unique treat, a specialty restaurant cover charge will apply per person.

On Formal Nights, my wife and I like to dress up and even make it a special dining experience.  I feel that formal attire is required in an upscale atmosphere.  On Formal Night, the Specialty Restaurants are formal.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3