Dress Code

stamford57

Yes I think smart dress shorts should be perfectly fine unless it's formal night. It just seems obvious that allowing women to have short skirts but mens legs needs to be covered at all costs is just an outdated arbitrary rule. Baseball caps on the other hand, I don't see the need for in a dining room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Albinroo said:

Yes I think smart dress shorts should be perfectly fine unless it's formal night.

Shorts are a way of life here in warmer climes. I can't see why dress shorts aren't suitable for formal nights. Just like any other type of clothing it's all about judgement calls. So long as the shorts aren't tatty I can't see the problem on any night.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Wavesprite said:

I do not understand why shorts can be offensive to others at dinner.  People’s legs are under the table…….

Fine then I am going pantless.  After all it’s under the table 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wavesprite said:

I do not understand why shorts can be offensive to others at dinner.  People’s legs are under the table…….

Shorts are not offensive. Calling shorts “smart dress shorts “ is offensive. 
😀🔫

9 hours ago, Albinroo said:

Yes I think smart dress shorts should be perfectly fine unless it's formal night. It just seems obvious that allowing women to have short skirts but mens legs needs to be covered at all costs is just an outdated arbitrary rule. Baseball caps on the other hand, I don't see the need for in a dining room.

Agree......Princess dress codes are antiquated and definitely double standards......kilts are allowed but no shorts....those are more offensive to me.....thank god the Princess dress code does not include the words "clothes must be in style" because very few Princess cruisers would be allowed in the dining room if it did......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree......Princess dress codes are antiquated and definitely double standards......kilts are allowed but no shorts....those are more offensive to me.....thank god the Princess dress code does not include the words "clothes must be in style" because very few Princess cruisers would be allowed in the dining room if it did......

Kilts versus shorts. The most ludicrous comparison I have ever read😂 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

"Princess dress codes are antiquated and definitely double standards......kilts are allowed but no shorts..."

It makes sense depending on how one looks at it. If you think of formal night as a costume party, then it all fits. Ceremonial wear, like kilts, are traditionally acceptable. But shorts and men's sarongs would not be acceptable.

Lets say you threw an "Old West" theme party. Rented a ranch, Country music, BBQ etc... And request that everyone come in western wear. If someone came in modern sports logo gear, it would not fit.  As a guest, if I didn't want to participate in the theme, I wouldn't go. I would feel it selfish to do so.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, vjmatty said:

This thread so far has actually been pretty tame and that is to your credit...   your reactions to the responses have been patient and respectful.  A different OP may have not fared so well, and I appreciate your staying on the high road. 

Thank you! I believe everyone is different and it would be a very boring world if not 😀 opinions can be listened to, taken onboard and given back in a respectful manner. I did struggle a bit with the ‘’lazy slob’ comment as my husband is the hardest worker I know and I’m a key worker who has been supporting our local hospice through this whole pandemic. But hey ho, each to their own 😃 I’m just grateful that we might be able to cruise again after all this madness... in shorts or not haha

• Like 5

Ummmm  Shorts yes or no...

The Advert Shorts with long socks... maybe 50 years ago...  but not now......

I suppose would be wear a short of shorts to a restaurant ??

( not talking the pub or an All you can Eat ) 

Generally not.....    but what if it hot you say.... well the ship is air conditioned...

Knee length shorts are ok, I wouldn't wear them to the dinner,

but would not be put off if somebody else did.....

But please no socks with sandals .. just not a good look...

Don

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

"Princess dress codes are antiquated and definitely double standards......kilts are allowed but no shorts..."

It makes sense depending on how one looks at it. If you think of formal night as a costume party, then it all fits. Ceremonial wear, like kilts, are traditionally acceptable. But shorts and men's sarongs would not be acceptable.

Lets say you threw an "Old West" theme party. Rented a ranch, Country music, BBQ etc... And request that everyone come in western wear. If someone came in modern sports logo gear, it would not fit.  As a guest, if I didn't want to participate in the theme, I wouldn't go. I would feel it selfish to do so.

Some of us are not afraid of what a bunch of boorish people think about how we dress......but it is nice to see that CC is returning to normal and the "dress code" freezies have returned.......

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

Tony, I said that you looked good last year ..... and you still look good. 🙂

Hi Aus Traveller ,

Thanks again if we’re ever on a cruise together the drinks are on me 🥃

F9D73B39-74CA-4383-9B6F-ED390173AA12.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Aus Traveller ,

Thanks again if we’re ever on a cruise together the drinks are on me 🥃

F9D73B39-74CA-4383-9B6F-ED390173AA12.jpeg

You're a brave man to say that to an Aussie !

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

A couple of glasses of wine does it for me!!

Hi Aus Traveller,

You will be drinking with me and it will all be free. No Sissy wine

We Pirates 🏴‍☠️ drink Rum.

F47C4CE1-2FBB-42E8-9E4C-F77035357FED.jpeg

37B655CE-A391-4089-9FF7-9351C40D8771.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2021 at 12:13 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Respectfully, what are “smart dress shorts”?  I always thought shorts were just shorts.

This is what dress shorts look like.

s7-1400949_alternate10?$rl_df_pdp_5_7_a1

It is the "Resort Casual" look. Non dress shorts could be sports shorts, cargo shorts, camo shorts, jean shorts, etc.

• Like 6

On 5/16/2021 at 3:37 PM, skynight said:

Bottom line, you most likely will be turned away in the evening at the DR if wearing shorts.

I think this is the key, the phrase "most likely". Our last cruise, Feb 2020 to HI on Princess I am sure that there were men who wore shorts to the MDR, because I recall being jealous that they got to wear shorts and She Who Must Be Obeyed decreed I would NOT wear shorts to the MDR.

It sometimes depends on what they choose to enforce. There is this tension between what you should do and what you can get away with.

Smart Casual
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

I tried this loophole on SWMBO because even in the best restaurants in our resorty home towns of Newport Beach and Coronado CA, nice shorts would be acceptable. The look I got back told me my appeal had been denied.

• Skirts/dresses, trousers, blouses, and sweaters for women
  • Pants and collared shirts for men

Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Again with the loopholes, but by now I knew enough to not even try to apply it. Yes, "not welcomed" isn't the same as "not allowed", but I think the intent is pretty clear, Princess really doesn't want shorts, dressy or not in the MDR.

I won't even breach, "are shorts okay if you have a mask on".