Bringing you own alcohol on board

SSCAF001

15 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I think we’re being trolled!

Fwiw, champagne is, and has

always been a Sparkling wine, along with Cremant from from other areas of France.  Sparkling wine comes from many areas of the world such as Prosecco in Italy, Gava in Spain, and Sparkling wine in the US.

Fortified wines such as port and sherry are also included in the wine lists. The included dessert wines, on the by the glass menu may include those fortified wines as well as Vin Santos and trocken berry Auslese . They are all wines whether sparkling, sweet, or fortified. For those lovers of ( Mad Dog) MD 20/20, it’s a fortified wine and a $25 corkage fee will allow you to enjoy it in dining venues also.

No distilled products are covered in the program. Enjoy your moon shine or other more distinctively distilled products brought aboard in your cabin only.

Easy Peasy!

Thanks for the clarification......after years of cruising on Oceania, just never occurred to us to take our port to dinner with us, pay the corkage fee and enjoy a glass after dinner...never to old to learn new tricks!!!

All good information to know.  Given our first Oceania cruise will have ports in Italy, France (including Provence) and Spain, it might be fun to bring a bottle from a local winery to enjoy in our room at the end of the day!

Edited by DENIE
  • Like 4

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Bringing you own alcohol on board
18 hours ago, DENIE said:

it might be fun to bring a bottle from a local winery to enjoy in our room at the end of the day!

"A bottle"?  That's barely a good start IMHO.  We have 4 & 6 bottle wine bags that we carry ashore in virtually all European ports.  Carry on and enjoy!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

"A bottle"?  That's barely a good start IMHO.  We have 4 & 6 bottle wine bags that we carry ashore in virtually all European ports.  Carry on and enjoy!

Ha.....true!  

On 5/22/2021 at 4:16 PM, SSCAF001 said:

Why? Am I going to pay more? I thought that I would pay 25$ once and then they would keep my bottle and I can empty it over several days. 

You pay the $25 corkage...if you don't finish they will hold for you....no new corkage charge.    We brought  18 bottles of assorted wines on board with us for our 30 day cruise....no problem at all.

On our world cruise one couple bought 8 cases in Capetown (day 36).  A staff member helped to bring the cases from the taxi.  The couple kept 1 case in their cabin and O stored the rest. Each time they finished a case, a new case would be brought out from storage.  The guest had premixed the cases so each case had a variety. They would finish a bottle per dinner. 

3 hours ago, Waynetor said:

On our world cruise one couple bought 8 cases in Capetown (day 36).  A staff member helped to bring the cases from the taxi.  The couple kept 1 case in their cabin and O stored the rest. Each time they finished a case, a new case would be brought out from storage.  The guest had premixed the cases so each case had a variety. They would finish a bottle per dinner. 

We also have done the same thing! Worked out wonderful and we enjoyed what we wanted.

Denise😊

2 hours ago, TERRIER1 said:

If you are embarking in Barcelona, the El Cortes Ingles department store has a very good wine department n the basement. The use to deliver the cases to the ship. I don't know if they still do.

We preordered a case of assorted wines from gourmet  hunters in barcelona. Great owner. They have their inventory  online.  They delivered the case to our Barcelona hotel (Jazz) for a very nominal charge.Brought the wine onboard.

• Like 1

I must confess I find all this bringing drink on board quite strange, why on earth would you want to sit in your cabin and drink , it’s one thing having a drink on your balcony talking in the view, I do that sometimes but get a drink from the bar ,but to sit in your cabin especially if it’s an inside one drinking , has absolutely no appeal , where’s the enjoyment in that. I understand people like to take the opportunity to try different wines not available to them where they reside but if it’s just to save a couple of quid I’d rather have a holiday that suits my budget so I can have full enjoyment, not think of the money just sit back and enjoy myself. Sorry if this upsets anybody

• Like 1

Let's be clear

it is one thing to take a case or bottles of wine  onboard   to taking  a case  or bottles of spirits

The ship will store your wine or you can take it to your cabin

where you can drink the wine in your cabin or take the bottle to a dining venue  where  a corkage fee is applied & should you not drink the full bottle at that sitting (GASP some people actually have some left)  the  ship will store the remainder  for another time

The ship will NOT store your spirits  & bring the bottle to you in any dining/bar venues 🙄

9 hours ago, Rosroz said:

I must confess I find all this bringing drink on board quite strange, why on earth would you want to sit in your cabin and drink , it’s one thing having a drink on your balcony talking in the view, I do that sometimes but get a drink from the bar ,but to sit in your cabin especially if it’s an inside one drinking , has absolutely no appeal , where’s the enjoyment in that. I understand people like to take the opportunity to try different wines not available to them where they reside but if it’s just to save a couple of quid I’d rather have a holiday that suits my budget so I can have full enjoyment, not think of the money just sit back and enjoy myself. Sorry if this upsets anybody

According to your logic, one should only pay Oceania’s 2X-3X retail price for their shore tours, or sit on the ship. Oceania allows one to either pay and take their shore excursions, wander on their own, or go one private tours. Does those options similarly offend your senses.

Oceania, likewise, gives their passengers options with the consumption of adult beverages. FWIW, we never bring distilled products aboard. As a person choice, whenever we opt for a cocktail it is always from the bar, and most often at the bar, but that’s just us. We enjoy meeting our fellow passengers, having a drink with them, and sharing our meal time with them. As a personal preference, some choose to never go to a bar and demand a two top every night at dinner so to not mingle with we lowly others. One poster here very adamantly said he never wanted to share a table with us. That’s OK! Oceania gives everyone choices. Likewise, some prefer to drink alone and not mingle with we pagans under most circumstances. That’s OK. Oceania gives them choices.

To wine. Since I’m itb, I have a fairly comprehensive understanding of Oceania’s pricing policy for wines. To meet a large variety of wine tastes, Oceania puts together a wine list to appeal to the largest percentage of passengers possible. Understandable. To bring those wines aboard, store them, and have even a somewhat semblance of knowledgeable staff, Oceania typically charges 3x-4X normal  retail prices. So for a bottle costing $15 retail, on ship it sells for $50-$60. For a very nice bottle costing $50 retail, Oceania charges $150+. So, if one buys a similar wine ashore at $50, then adds $25 corkage = $75. While I would never bring aboard a $15 wine and pay corkage to save $10-$15 some will because they may especially like the wine. However, I will bring the $50 + wine aboard every chance I get.

Additionally, as a wine guy, I delight in finding wonderful local wines either not available, or extremely allocated in the US, in foreign ports and having the opportunity to enjoy them aboard. Even though prices matter, having the opportunity to procure those special wines and pair them with delicious food aboard is , for us, part of the traveler’s experience. I’m glad Oceania gives us this option.

• Like 2

Ditto Pinot,

We will only bring along some wines we really enjoy from home for our O cruises and then we share it among our guests at dinner, especially when dining in Prive. We do not make a habit of ordering $100-200 bottles of wine on board but we can bring along some $35-70 bottles that would definitely fit that level on the O wine list so the Corkage fee really means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Last week we picked up a couple of very nice Pinots and Cabs at Silver Trident last week, Bob’s winery. Those bottles are going to be front and center in Polo or other restaurants when it is time for some Prime Filet Mignon. It has been fun to share some of our California wine “finds” with the Sommelier and get some rave reviews. 

Now all we have to do is SAIL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does it matter to anyone if a person wants to buy the wine that Oceania offers

If you want to bring your own that is your personal choice

We have found a couple of wines we liked

We do buy the wine onboard

We do not drink a lot & we usually have lots of OBC to use 

That is our choice

YMMV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

As a personal preference, some choose to never go to a bar and demand a two top every night at dinner so to not mingle with we lowly others. One poster here very adamantly said he never wanted to share a table with us. That’s OK! Oceania gives everyone choices. Likewise, some prefer to drink alone and not mingle with we pagans under most circumstances. 

Might it be that those who don't go to bars and who enjoy a quiet table for two do so just because they enjoy having some personal time and not to avoid so-called lowly others or pagans?

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Might it be that those who don't go to bars and who enjoy a quiet table for two do so just because they enjoy having some personal time and not to avoid so-called lowly others or pagans?

Of course it might. 

On the subject of two tops vs dining with others who we are not traveling with, I am reminded of an old Steve Martin movie. He is at a fashionable cocktail party and says to the woman he is talking to: "But enough about you, more about ME".

On more than one of our O cruises we have witnessed two couples sharing a table in one of the specialty restaurants where one of the couples beats a hasty departure ASAP because they had heard more than they needed to from the others - undoubtedly about themselves. Alcohol consumption combined with a self absorbed personality can be a dreadful combination. Not to mention those who are willing to preach about their opinions on the current issues of the day. I call it wearing one's politics on their sleeve.

OTOH, meeting someone who makes interesting conversation and has good manners can be a highlight of a trip. To be sure, there are some great possibilities for pleasant and interesting conversation when sharing a table but it's a gamble and if you get stuck with pretentious, highly opinionated  and narrow minded dinner companions, it can be really bad. 

Edited by Croooser
  • Like 5

For a 10-day cruise we'll bring 2 bottles of wine from home and drink them in our cabin. For dinner in the restaurants we will purchase from O.  I agree that they're expensive but, what the heck,  we're on vacation on a beautiful cruise.  When I think about the total cost of the cruise with airfare and everything else, the upcharge for the wine that you buy from O is a small fraction. 

It's good to have options so we can all do what we please. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but I’m confused. Apparently one can bring wine on board with no problem. But what about spirits? We have only done Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea, so this hasn’t come up. Taking our first Oceania in Oct, based on great reports of the foodL

3 minutes ago, DrSHF said:

Sorry, but I’m confused. Apparently one can bring wine on board with no problem. But what about spirits? We have only done Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea, so this hasn’t come up. Taking our first Oceania in Oct, based on great reports of the foodL

I don’t understand your confusion, but once again.

Passengers can bring aboard any and all beer, wine, ( champagne for the French that don’t consider it wine), and other alcoholic beverages they so choose. To further clarify for the “ how about”, alcoholic beverages includes, but are not limited to : gin, vodka, bourbon, scotch, tequila, liquors, and old fashioned hooch .

The only difference in policy  is wine only can be taken to a dining venue, and with a $25 corkage fee, consumed at that venue. All other alcoholic beverages brought aboard are for in cabin personal consumption and not to leave the cabin.

Is that plan enough?

31 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I don’t understand your confusion, but once again.

Passengers can bring aboard any and all beer, wine, ( champagne for the French that don’t consider it wine), and other alcoholic beverages they so choose. To further clarify for the “ how about”, alcoholic beverages includes, but are not limited to : gin, vodka, bourbon, scotch, tequila, liquors, and old fashioned hooch .

The only difference in policy  is wine only can be taken to a dining venue, and with a $25 corkage fee, consumed at that venue. All other alcoholic beverages brought aboard are for in cabin personal consumption and not to leave the cabin.

Is that plan enough?

Yes, plan enough. Wow, that was a pretty snarky response. Considering the website has the following different info, I was looking for clarification, not condescension. Jeez.

Can I bring booze onboard an Oceania cruise?

Bringing alcohol onboard at embarkation: Passengers may not bring their own beer or liquor onboard, but may bring a maximum of three bottles of wine or Champagne per cabin for the duration of a cruise (this includes embarkation and purchasing onshore during a port call). A corkage fee of $25 applies if wine is consumed in a public area or dining room; there is no charge to drink it within the stateroom.

10 minutes ago, DrSHF said:

Yes, plan enough. Wow, that was a pretty snarky response. Considering the website has the following different info, I was looking for clarification, not condescension. Jeez.

Can I bring booze onboard an Oceania cruise?

Bringing alcohol onboard at embarkation: Passengers may not bring their own beer or liquor onboard, but may bring a maximum of three bottles of wine or Champagne per cabin for the duration of a cruise (this includes embarkation and purchasing onshore during a port call). A corkage fee of $25 applies if wine is consumed in a public area or dining room; there is no charge to drink it within the stateroom.

I think he was asking if you've read this thread. All of that is already stated here more than once. He's just cranky because his cruises keep being cancelled. 

• Haha 4

Dear DrSHF;

I always recommend that passengers follow published policy. The case in point here is that Oceania hasn’t, in the past, always enforced those cya published policies to a T. Another example is dress codes.  Oceania has, imo, fairly easily understood dress codes for the dining venues, but don’t always elect to actively enforce them.

What I, and others here, attempt to explain, on this easily searchable topic, is how Oceania actually enforces the policy once aboard.

It is  an unwritten policy that you can  bring  spirits onboard  for use in your cabin  but if the  rules are abused   then they will not allow  spirits

You can bring  wine   for the cabin or if you choose to take a bottle to the dining venues  there is  a $25 corkage fee