Is Holland America Getting Ready to Raise Cost of Gratuities?

LAFFNVEGAS

The only thing I don’t get is the supplemental food charges in the MDR.

There’s already Crew Incentive to those in the MDR.  Not sure I follow what difference it makes if one orders something that HAL charges for versus what’s on the menu at no charge??

As to specialty restaurants and room service, that’s fine by me.  I’ll just have to remember to no longer tip so generously.  But, it’s going to get confusing.  It sounds like it’s only on the surcharge items on the menus so if no surcharge items are ordered then you still need to tip?

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Except that HAL does not currently add a service charge in specialty dining PLUS when you get a free signature drink package they do not charge you the service charge.

OOOPS!  I was thinking of the wine packages and applying that formula to the dining!

Edited by VMax1700

52 minutes ago, kazu said:

But, it’s going to get confusing.  It sounds like it’s only on the surcharge items on the menus so if no surcharge items are ordered then you still need to tip?

I think its the specialty charge and any supplemental charges. but agree is muddy at best

"a new Service Charge (Restaurant) of 18% will be added to all specialty restaurant cover charges and all supplemental charge "

I totally missed previously that Hal was raising the gratuities. I had seen on Princess the name change to Crew Incentive but not for Hal. I also have no problem paying more, it is actually what NCL was charging. I guess what I find odd and a bit unprofessional is that their website pricing does not match up and contradicts what they are charging but then again we are talking about Holland America’s website.....😏

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

I think its the specialty charge and any supplemental charges. but agree is muddy at best

"a new Service Charge (Restaurant) of 18% will be added to all specialty restaurant cover charges and all supplemental charge "

So this is why we have been unable to pre book Speciality Dining for September and November cruises.

• Like 1

Does this new policy allow for the "adjustment" of gratuities?  I fear this increase may be additional incentive for more people to adjust (as in downward) or remove the charges altogether.  Let's hope not!

Perhaps this is a separate discussion but I wonder if this means there will be more paid items on the MDR menu ?  For example instead of going to the Pinnacle that you would be able to order it in the MDR.  

2 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I don't see how this can work for room service.  I order breakfast in my room, but the cost is included in the price of the cruise.  What is the new 18% charge based on?

There are paid options on the room service menu

21 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I don't see how this can work for room service.  I order breakfast in my room, but the cost is included in the price of the cruise.  What is the new 18% charge based on?

It should  applied only to Room Service supplemental charge food items ... 

"And, a new Service Charge (Restaurant) of 18% will be added to all specialty restaurant cover charges and all supplemental charge food items purchased in the Dining Room, Specialty Dining and through Room Delivery Service."

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

So this is why we have been unable to pre book Speciality Dining for September and November cruises.

We always book a lot of specialty dining before we sail.  None is available to reserve on any of the four cruises we have booked.  I was guessing this is because they are unsure of capacity -- in case they are required to space tables farther apart than usual -- and a lot of the recent promotions have included specialty dining, so they have to accommodate those people as well.

I'll be curious to see how this all pans out.  For us, we really like dining in the smaller venues, always plan ahead for it, and it will be important to us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfocruiser said:

Got it.  Thanks.  It takes several re-reads. 😉 

• Like 1

I missed the part about 18% service charge on speciality restaurants.  So each dinner will get hit with an additional $7.02 per person.  And I assume the full charge applies on those who get the 50% discount and probably even on the two free dinners that 5 stars get.  That’s a pretty big increase.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I missed the part about 18% service charge on speciality restaurants.  So each dinner will get hit with an additional $7.02 per person.  And I assume the full charge applies on those who get the 50% discount and probably even on the two free dinners that 5 stars get.  That’s a pretty big increase.

That figures since my next cruise will be the first one as a 5 star!  Nothing is free anymore it seems.

• Like 2

I'm disappointed HAL feels necessary to increase the percentage from 15 to 18% as the extras have gone up in price, so has the tip without increasing the percentage.

I previously liked to "reward" extra good service, but this will probably stop that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EnClair said:

I do not understand the gratuities and service charge concept. Just give me a price for the cruise. It is false marketing to promote a price, and the add all kind of charges, that originally are hidden to the consumer. I just want to know the full price of the cruise?

Agreed, it's like the BS resort fees prevalent in Vegas and spreading elsewhere... It's to game the hotel search engines to appear to have a lower price. If airlines can be mandated to show you the full price inclusive of taxes and mandatory fees, why not hotels, car rentals, and cruise lines too?

Any idea if those of us with included gratuities for a booked cruise will get hit with a fee, or would it cover future increases? (It should, but then again, perhaps changing the name of the surcharge is their way of weaseling out - "Oh, gratuities are still included; it's just now there's also a 'Crew Incentive' charge.")

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Any idea if those of us with included gratuities for a booked cruise will get hit with a fee, or would it cover future increases? (It should, but then again, perhaps changing the name of the surcharge is their way of weaseling out - "Oh, gratuities are still included; it's just now there's also a 'Crew Incentive' charge.")

In the past, HAL has always honoured their prepaid hotel gratuities/ cruise incentives.  I see no reason why they wouldn’t now.  They probably knew when they set the pricing inclusive perk pricing they were doing this, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KirkNC said:

Personally I don’t see it as that much of a change. I would have tipped close to that anyway. Now that tip is included, I don’t need to bring cash with me to the PG to tip again. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

In the past, HAL has always honoured their prepaid hotel gratuities/ cruise incentives.  I see no reason why they wouldn’t now.  They probably knew when they set the pricing inclusive perk pricing they were doing this, too.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't been on HAL before so I wasn't sure what to expect.

40 minutes ago, jhannah said:

We've come a long way since "Tipping Not Required" (if you're old enough to remember that. 

LOL - I am old enough and that phrase did not mean not to tip.  It meant you didn’t have to if you didn’t want to as it was explained to me decades ago.

• Like 3