The Daily for Tuesday May 25, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

DSCN0556.thumb.JPG.ef4729f5d5c3c56002e63786aaf90d78.JPG

This is curious, to me.  I get bilingual signs.  You want locals and rich English-speaking tourists to be able to find their way around, but that lower sign is in Russian.  Is that common in the area?  

• Like 4

In 2007 we had a port stop in Limassol while on the Rotterdam, but spent the day outside of the city.

image.thumb.jpeg.8faca4738e8e88431c60a6198037238e.jpeg

One of the first stops was at the mythical birthplace of Aphrodite.

AEBB2632-0DA9-422B-8B2C-BD6221735FFD.thumb.jpeg.1323124cb8cc17408c9b3f9bdeb399d2.jpeg

Here are a couple of photos from the Tombs of Kings site.

2E14AE27-E61A-468F-B1B4-0C934A31D3C1.thumb.jpeg.ea0dfdd85a1a66c9ffe80f43d652b8d2.jpeg

3C49DDA9-FF44-4E4B-BC75-A6AA4299A1F9.thumb.jpeg.83103ffeb15f89d47929a5e448a1996a.jpeg

We spent a lot of time at the House of Dionysus, which is known for its mosaic floors.

78938596-DF22-427B-AE5D-DCF5F4F09AA2.thumb.jpeg.72cb44953420a28954f8e02e8f14b878.jpeg

740E40FD-DCD0-4B56-B3E8-13E1436B9573.thumb.jpeg.8e030aa201556f73e7b29af9f104dc70.jpeg

2BDACA13-5357-4105-897E-639128F86843.thumb.jpeg.bb48ea8783b7fe003577aa0a16c0f223.jpeg

4B6E4D5D-D19B-43CF-A168-CA21DC3DA592.thumb.jpeg.56d9be542b1175d842736172398bda63.jpeg

4D0E42AD-F771-463E-A78B-0C4374C464F1.thumb.jpeg.4d8ae6a5e29a614e6d7de1f4594f06ae.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

There used to be a lot of Russian tourists coming to the Mediterranean countries , specially to Greece  I believe the numbers have dropped way down over time which you can see on the large number of stores where they sold fur coats etc that are closed up now . Favourite stores specially to the Russian tourists .

• Like 11

We have been to Limassol, Cyprus twice, both on Rotterdam.  The first was in October, 2008, where we visited many ancient ruins. In October, 2019,  we were able to visit the Turkish area, crossing the green line both directions without any problem. Heading back to the bus, after lunch, we got caught in a torrential rain storm that flooded the road as we made our way back to the port. Our guide said rain at that time of day, was typical.

.Big news,  we’re booked to Alaska in August, but the family cruise will be next year so the whole family can go!

• Like 16

Good afternoon, thanks for the Daily!  Super late to the party today, but not because we slept in - just the opposite.  We were up at 6AM and waiting in line at the drive-through clinic by 6:30 so that DH could get his second jab.  They began vaccinating at 8:30 and by 9:20 we were home - bing, bang, boom, done!  What a relief to get his 2nd Covid vaccination ... now we have to wait until my age group is eligible and then we can think of getting our arms around our little grandsons.

Missing children are a heartbreaker - one can't begin to imagine the anguish a parent goes through when they don't know where their child is.  Bless all of them.  Both DH and I brown bagged it for many years, and we're ever so happy to not have to do that now.  I had to look up Towel Day - as many other CC'ers, the first thing I thought of was the delightful towel animals that appear on our beds at night on the BHB's.  Did somebody say it was Wine day?  Oh merciful heavens!

After waiting for a couple of hours in line for DH's jab, I was still in time to get my nails done  - now I don't hit 3 keys when I only intend to hit 1.  When I retired 6 years ago (where HAS the time gone?), I decided my treat to me would be getting gel nails and I've been keeping them up ever since.  The only time I had an issue was last year when we had our initial lockdown and couldn't go for hair or nails for at least 3 months.  Some might see it as an extravagance, but it makes me feel good, as I always had such poor looking nails throughout my life.    I figure I've earned the money I spend on myself each month, so why not.

Looking at today's menu suggestions are great, but we don't have a roast in our fridge or freezer at the moment. I think tonight might be "Tuesday Surprise", or let's see what's available in the fridge for dinner.   Maybe DH will think of something creative and I'll just sit back and enjoy it. And wine.

802672355_HealthyWine.jpg.277f172607e5df37f28c6374db68de53.jpg

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra healing prayers for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask, and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 21

Today's sunrise is from a 2008 Blount Cruise from Rhode Island to Chicago.  The afternoon of May 25 we arrived in Cleveland after leaving Buffalo and Niagara Falls on May 24:

IMG_1006.JPG.9ef7c30dd54821a3d7830118395

Roy

• Like 19

Good Afternoon!

We had to leave early this morning to drive to Sanford (FL) airport for our Global Entry renewal interviews 👍.  After that we drove into town and had a great lunch at Hollerbach's German restaurant and made a stop at their deli to pick up some bratwurst for DH.

We were in Limassol on October 27, 2019, on the Rotterdam (32 Day Holy Land & Journey to the New World).  We did not spend any time in Limassol as we took a tour to Nicosia.  We did stop at the same ruins (Khirakita) as @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda (whose pictures are MUCH better than mine).

"Resolution" (Civil Rights Monument – by artist Theodoulos Gregoriu), is placed in front of the National Guard border crossing post.  It reiterates the faith of the inhabitants of Nicosia in human rights as the only precondition to peace & freedom. On the round base is part of the text of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights written in embossed Greek letters. A stack of steel lances diagonally arranged hit the center of the text, symbolically destroying it.

DSC01152.thumb.jpg.64014806a4ef14e5f882284df0ae8055.jpg

DSC01154.thumb.jpg.465a5359b60389025c1527e6b3e2662e.jpg

We did not cross the border.  Could not find the “green line” so saw this and decided it would just have to do. 🤪

DSCF4100.thumb.jpg.3c2e6bd26b6ad88854bba2bcf4b3f25b.jpg

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Lenda,  the Liberty Monument was erected in 1973 to honor the anti-British EOKA fighters of the Cyprus Emergency of 1955–1959.

DSCF4106.thumb.jpg.659491ca1a97c5db367097009482fefd.jpg

While making our way back to the bus, we saw this interesting green glass man sculpture.

DSCF4101.thumb.jpg.edf6c083eca2e07d169e148bde308787.jpg

Kay

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Good Afternoon!

We had to leave early this morning to drive to Sanford (FL) airport for our Global Entry renewal interviews 👍.  After that we drove into town and had a great lunch at Hollerbach's German restaurant and made a stop at their deli to pick up some bratwurst for DH.

We were in Limassol on October 27, 2019, on the Rotterdam (32 Day Holy Land & Journey to the New World).  We did not spend any time in Limassol as we took a tour to Nicosia.  We did stop at the same ruins (Khirakita) as @Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda (whose pictures are MUCH better than mine).

"Resolution" (Civil Rights Monument – by artist Theodoulos Gregoriu), is placed in front of the National Guard border crossing post.  It reiterates the faith of the inhabitants of Nicosia in human rights as the only precondition to peace & freedom. On the round base is part of the text of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights written in embossed Greek letters. A stack of steel lances diagonally arranged hit the center of the text, symbolically destroying it.

DSC01152.thumb.jpg.64014806a4ef14e5f882284df0ae8055.jpg

DSC01154.thumb.jpg.465a5359b60389025c1527e6b3e2662e.jpg

We did not cross the border.  Could not find the “green line” so saw this and decided it would just have to do. 🤪

DSCF4100.thumb.jpg.3c2e6bd26b6ad88854bba2bcf4b3f25b.jpg

@Quartzsite Cruiser  Lenda,  the Liberty Monument was erected in 1973 to honor the anti-British EOKA fighters of the Cyprus Emergency of 1955–1959.

DSCF4106.thumb.jpg.659491ca1a97c5db367097009482fefd.jpg

While making our way back to the bus, we saw this interesting green glass man sculpture.

DSCF4101.thumb.jpg.edf6c083eca2e07d169e148bde308787.jpg

Kay

Enjoyed your pictures.  Thank you for the information about the Liberty Monument.  I don’t take notes on tours and I can only remember so much.

Lenda

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

I flew into Sanford a couple of years ago for a cruise from Port Canaveral. I had a rental car and my first stop was at Hollerbach's.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, 57redbird said:

Kazu -- I think you can take DH & me off the care list....he's doing better with PT & I'm doing better at not snarling at him for every little thing he needs.

Thank you all!!!

Oh, that is fabulous news.  I will happily take you off and I am sure Roy will move you to the Celebrations list.  

So happy for you.

• Like 8

Kind of a busy health care day.  Saw my primary care physician this morning for my annual physical and eye doctor this afternoon.  Bottom line: in good shape for 81.  

Received a letter today about a data breach but nowhere did it mention the company involved.  Called the number for more info and found that it was Carnival Corp.  Not good to know if you think of all the info they have on us in their files: credit card numbers, passport numbers, date of birth, etc.

• Like 7

Thanks for all the daily information, enjoyed  the  photos as we have not been to that port.

Melbourne Australia now has 15 new community cases of Covid-19, .....the Indian variant.  Flights between Melbourne and New Zealand have stopped for 3 days.

Fiji also has increased number of cases.

It's a sunny day, 13C expected.  This morning temperatures of around minus 8C were recorded further inland.   Winter is early.

Take care everyone.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, bobpatj said:

Big news,  we’re booked to Alaska in August, but the family cruise will be next year so the whole family can go!

Congratulations Pat!  Please report back and tell us how it was. August isn’t that far away!  I hope you and Bob enjoy!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the daily information, enjoyed  the  photos as we have not been to that port.

Melbourne Australia now has 15 new community cases of Covid-19, .....the Indian variant.  Flights between Melbourne and New Zealand have stopped for 3 days.

Fiji also has increased number of cases.

It's a sunny day, 13C expected.  This morning temperatures of around minus 8C were recorded further inland.   Winter is early.

Take care everyone.

Especially sad to hear about Melbourne.  It was one of my last vestiges  of normalcy with both in person worship and a packed performance of Come From Away. 

Roy

• Like 6

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from a 2008 Blount Cruise from Rhode Island to Chicago.  The afternoon of May 25 we arrived in Cleveland after leaving Buffalo and Niagara Falls on May 24:

IMG_1006.JPG.9ef7c30dd54821a3d7830118395

Roy

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Dear Roy,

So late this evening coming on board to The Daily! So much happening not bad just so much stuff on my plate! God is good! 
I don’t know if your still up in Baltimore but your sunrise gave me calm this evening!

Take care my friend

Denise😊

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm looking forward to a quiet day at home after 2 busy, busy days. Thank you all for your concern and prayers for our DGS.  I still can't quite believe it happened even though I was there.  Looking forward to seeing him sometime this week and giving him a (gentle) hug -- we all have reservations to fly a seaplane over Seattle on Friday -- but are waiting to hear when he can have the cast put on this week too.  That boy can give the best hugs, but with one broken wing I'll have to wait awhile for one of those. 🙂  

I cannot imagine the anguish and heartbreak to have a missing child.  The sadness is beyond my imagination.  DH and I have brown bagged it in the past, towel day threw me -- thanks for the explanation Rich!  Wine day is more to my liking, so I will celebrate that. 😀

I know we're all looking forward to cruising again, I can't wait to hear the first reports from the Alaska cruises.  There's a lot more hope now for our late September cruise in the Med. I expect to see itinerary changes, so am eager to see what those changes will be too.  Have a great day everyone!

Cruising-along, we had our turn today.  I immediately thought of you.  Our precious 2 1/2 year old granddaughter fractured her elbow in three places on the jungle gym.  She was so brave with the doctor!  She has a cast for about a month.   They say things come in threes.  I hope not!

Anyhow, the kids of summer are on the move.  Stay safe everyone.

A00B5676-384A-4F37-AEBC-78419B0F483F.thumb.jpeg.e69efdbcb48e3776747a2a0bd0c058f5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Very late to the party.  I am so sad always on the topic of missing children.  We all need to remember them each and every day!  

My news for the day is that I am booked for Alaska for August.  The sailing date would have been my 50th wedding anniversary, so I feel that it is one of those "God things."  I am truly excited, and know that my DH would be proud of me for having booked this cruise.  (One of four in the next 15 months, and will probably add another when cruises are again going from Vancouver!)

We had a small wildfire today that I was on alert for, but thankfully it was extinguished before it got out of hand.  

Have a good evening, everyone!

• Like 12