The Daily for Thursday May 27, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Sunscreen is very important. Use it everyday. Although for most of us the damage was done years ago when we did not know any better. Love all time player pianos, have not seen one in awhile.  

Have not been to todays port,  thanks in advance for the pictures.

Some rather good news today. Most of you probably remember when my DB passed away in February. I received so much support from this group. Anyway, we had asked in lieu of flowers, that any money be donated to the local Veterans organization. Yesterday, the director called my SIL to tell her that it was the most money that they had ever received !  It is amazing, the generosity of people. That will help many veterans in that area. My brother would be so proud. They are going to read his name at the Memorial Day Service.

@StLouisCruisers Thinking of you and your family at this most difficult time. 

Take care of yourself and safe travels. 

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 35

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  These days we use sunscreen; I remember in high school, we used to slather ourselves with baby oil and lay out for hours!  When using sunscreen, be sure to check the "best before" date, as old stuff won't work nearly as well and you may get burned (no pun intended).    

When I was a child, a hotel in our town had an old time player piano - once in a while my parents would meet friends there for coffee and I remember sitting there totally fascinated with the piano.  Nothing to fear day is great - too often our fears are unfounded.

It seems that DH is not going to have an adverse reaction to his 2nd dose of Pfizer - he felt great yesterday, and slept well again last night - yay!! 

I'd love to have a peach salad, but it would have to be canned peaches, as we won't see fresh ones for a couple of months.  A friend of mine makes a lovely peach salad using peaches and feta cheese - it's a great combination of sweet and salty.  DH mentioned wanting noodle bowls, so I think I'll place an order for pick up for tonight.  Noodle bowls with Vietnamese rolls will be what's happening on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Sending fervent prayers to everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 30

1 minute ago, cunnorl said:

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Sunscreen is very important. Use it everyday. Although for most of us the damage was done years ago when we did not know any better. Love all time player pianos, have not seen one in awhile.  

Have not been to todays port,  thanks in advance for the pictures.

Some rather good news today. Most of you probably remember when my DB passed away in February. I received so much support from this group. Anyway, we had asked in lieu of flowers, that any money be donated to the local Veterans organization. Yesterday, the director called my SIL to tell her that it was the most money that they had ever received !  It is amazing, the generosity of people. That will help many veterans in that area. My brother would be so proud. They are going to read his name at the Memorial Day Service.

@StLouisCruisers Thinking of you and your family at this most difficult time. 

Take care of yourself and safe travels. 

Stay safe and enjoy today.

That is amazing news about the record donation amount to the Veteran's organization in your DB's name.  Warms the heart!!

Thanks for your good thoughts for me today.  I will carry everyone's good wishes with me and I'm sure it will make it easier.

• Like 23

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is another from my 2013 Blount cruise from New Orleans to St. Petersburg.  On March 27 we were in Carabelle, Florida:

dawn527b.jpg

Roy

What a small world!  I kept my sailboat for almost 20 years in Carabelle, a small slice of “old” Florida.

• Like 15

Most days in the Pacific Northwest our sunscreen is provided by clouds, and weather that encourages layers of clothing. Even on extra sunny days we can usually find a trail through the forest where the sun rarely makes it through the thick canopy of evergreens. Even so, I found ways to get burned by the sun on a few occasions as a child.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

That is fantastic!!  What a lovely gesture in memory of your brother ♥️ 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, ger_77 said:

It seems that DH is not going to have an adverse reaction to his 2nd dose of Pfizer - he felt great yesterday, and slept well again last night - yay

That is good news indeed 👍 

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Happy Thursday to all.  Glad to hear some have gotten rain, we have gotten very little and are on track for the driest spring on record.

Too bad we couldn’t send some of our rain your way.  We’ve had more than enough.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Thursday morning.  Love the combination of days.  The quote is so true.  The meal sounds refreshing. Thank you for the photo's of it Debbie. Looking forward to the photo's of the port of the day. Prayers for our Care list.  So many to add to the prayer list.  A big woohoo to our Celebration list.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.  We all want to meet on a BHB!

Boozy S'more milkshake:

Yields: 2 servings

Ingredients

8 large scoops (about 2 1/2 c.) chocolate ice cream
1/4 c. Baileys
2 oz. vanilla vodka
1/2 c. marshmallow fluff
Crushed graham crackers, for rimming
Marshmallow bits, for rimming
Chocolate fudge, for rimming
Whipped cream, for garnish
Chocolate squares, for garnish
Graham cracker squares, for garnish
Directions

In a blender, blend together ice cream, Baileys, vanilla vodka, and marshmallow fluff.
Combine crushed graham crackers and marshmallow bits on a small plate. Rim 2 glasses with chocolate fudge and dip into graham crackers and marshmallows.
Pour milkshake into glasses and top each shake with whipped cream, a chocolate square, and a graham cracker square.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 7.25.25 AM.png

That looks so good.   I forgot to mention yesterday that the drink looked really, really good.   I'm trying to think of ways of cutting the sugar load in it.  I know they make sugar free cranberry juice.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

Glad to hear some have gotten rain, we have gotten very little and are on track for the driest spring on record.

We were too until 14 days ago, now it just won't quit.  Hopefully we can send some your way.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for creating the Daily, Rich! This magical place where people, many who have never met in person, gather to share, support, laugh, cry and celebrate the human spirit. A virtual family. That is what I choose to celebrate today. I wish I could take away everyone’s pain: emotional, psychological and physical. But I can’t. So everyone know that today I celebrate us. Thank you for being here. 

Praying for all who need our support. Celebrating all the wonderful things happening. Stay well all.

This vintner makes an excellent Pinot Noir. The info below focuses on the 2017 vintage from Russian River, but all vintages share the same excellent ratings - whether from Russian River or Sonoma. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $24.97.

Winemaker Notes

The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall after several dry years. A mild spring led to a timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks meant the majority of the fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics, and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
The fruit for this Pinot Noir is sourced from sustainable vineyards found throughout the Russian River Valley AVA. Dense redwood forests trap heat during the day and channel cool sea breezes off the Pacific Coast in the evenings. This temperature fluctuation strengthens the skins and helps set optimum sugar levels. 
The grapes are carefully hand-sorted and destemmed as whole berries after harvesting. The fruit is then collected into open-top fermentors allowing the skins to impart color and tannin to the naturally free-run juice. Small bladder punch-downs are applied 2-3 times daily for a total of 21 days with skins intact. Some natural malolactic fermentation does take place during the barrel aging process. Ripe, bright and playful, this Pinot Noir showcases the boisterous charisma of the Russian River Valley’s unique climate and terroir. Candied apple notes pop from the glass as a vibrant expression of tart Bing cherry, Marcona almond and savory pie spice round out the middle. A lively acidity enhances the intensity of the fruit while still maintaining a delicate mouthfeel and elegant finish.
TP93 wine.com Tasting Panel:  Aged in French oak, this certified-sustainable wine from Sonoma County’s coolest vineyard sites is lit from within. Tart cherry pops on the palate, introducing a sassy character that’s punctuated by nutmeg and cinnamon. Dried blue flowers combine with orange peel on the unique finish.

Good morning adorable sister. You wrote a beautiful blessing for us all today. Thank you.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for creating the Daily, Rich! This magical place where people, many who have never met in person, gather to share, support, laugh, cry and celebrate the human spirit. A virtual family. That is what I choose to celebrate today. I wish I could take away everyone’s pain: emotional, psychological and physical. But I can’t. So everyone know that today I celebrate us. Thank you for being here. 

Praying for all who need our support. Celebrating all the wonderful things happening. Stay well all.

This vintner makes an excellent Pinot Noir. The info below focuses on the 2017 vintage from Russian River, but all vintages share the same excellent ratings - whether from Russian River or Sonoma. I found a few online distributors with prices starting at $24.97.

Winemaker Notes

The 2017 growing season started out wet with record-breaking rainfall after several dry years. A mild spring led to a timely bud break and good fruit set, followed by ideal conditions of cool mornings and warm, sunny days throughout the summer months. A few days of intense heat at the beginning of September sped up ripening throughout the region. Well-timed picks meant the majority of the fruit was in by the first week of October. Beautiful color, well-defined aromatics, and outstanding flavor are all evident in this year’s vintage.
The fruit for this Pinot Noir is sourced from sustainable vineyards found throughout the Russian River Valley AVA. Dense redwood forests trap heat during the day and channel cool sea breezes off the Pacific Coast in the evenings. This temperature fluctuation strengthens the skins and helps set optimum sugar levels. 
The grapes are carefully hand-sorted and destemmed as whole berries after harvesting. The fruit is then collected into open-top fermentors allowing the skins to impart color and tannin to the naturally free-run juice. Small bladder punch-downs are applied 2-3 times daily for a total of 21 days with skins intact. Some natural malolactic fermentation does take place during the barrel aging process. Ripe, bright and playful, this Pinot Noir showcases the boisterous charisma of the Russian River Valley’s unique climate and terroir. Candied apple notes pop from the glass as a vibrant expression of tart Bing cherry, Marcona almond and savory pie spice round out the middle. A lively acidity enhances the intensity of the fruit while still maintaining a delicate mouthfeel and elegant finish.
TP93 wine.com Tasting Panel:  Aged in French oak, this certified-sustainable wine from Sonoma County’s coolest vineyard sites is lit from within. Tart cherry pops on the palate, introducing a sassy character that’s punctuated by nutmeg and cinnamon. Dried blue flowers combine with orange peel on the unique finish.

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

My sweet sister!! You said it so eloquently! Your words mean so much to all!! Thank you!

Denise😊

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Yesterday I did put on sunscreen, as I was out in the garden for hours. Today and tomorrow are raining (what's new) so no need now!   Our SIL worked in a skin cancer clinic when he started his studies so even though I'd half-heartedly used sun screen in the past, his urging and stories made me a convert. 🙂  

I remember my grandparents had an old time player piano, I loved it.  The only things I fear are heights (irrational, I know) and bees (I have an allergy to all types of bee stings, so that fear is more rational).

The meal today looks more like a delicious side dish, not sure what will be for dinner tonight.  I'm still on my first cup of coffee.  🤣

It's such a good feeling to actually be planning for a cruise again.  We'd pretty much given up on sailing again this year, but the past week has been so encouraging and the excitement is a good feeling!  

@kazuthank you so much for including our DGS on the care list.  I think he can be removed now, DD says he's doing well 🙂  He will get his cast on Tuesday.  Apparently last night his 6-year-old little brother was feeling a bit left out, so his Dad wrapped his arm so he could be like his brother.  The real broken arm is on Foster, on the right.

1555919284_brokenarms.thumb.jpg.83d9601d6d3e864cbaed6329a231ffeb.jpg

• Like 35
  • Haha 2

Good morning. Brisk this morning. The Bandit and I did his early morning walk with temps of 35F. He loved it. We went further than usual since it will be warming up later in the day. As to sun screen.... I use it liberally. I burn easily and for years when I was directing the archaeology field school for the college, I would get too much sun, no matter how hard I tried to avoid it. I see my dermatologist regularly and so far, so good. I would love a nice peach salad.....I hope our peaches survived the chilly weather.

I am starting a year's stint as president of the board of directors of our local Humane Society. Have done it before.... a bit time consuming but interesting. Since we are working on getting our renovations lined up it should be challenge. When this is over, I will really need a cruise.

My best to all and their family members who need our support. We and they have to stay healthy so we can board those ships... whether for long or short cruises.

Susan

Susan

• Like 24

27 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Apparently last night his 6-year-old little brother was feeling a bit left out, so his Dad wrapped his arm so he could be like his brother.  The real broken arm is on Foster, on the right.

It is all in the family now!  That is so sweet.  Hoping they both recover soon

• Like 12

Good morning! A nice and bright sunny morning here today.  The kids will need sunscreen to play outside.....and a jacket, since it's gone from high 20º to mid teens today.

My godparents had a player piano when I was little. So much fun! I got my exercise pedaling that thing!

I love the quote, and it is a reason that we cruise. Hubby would be happy to stay home watching t.v. but I want to experience new things. Luckily, he doesn't complain when I drag him along.

We are celebrating the quick, and healthy birth of our granddaughter very early Tuesday morning. She came at 36 weeks, but appears to be none the worse for wear. This son lives just 2 km from us and they are doing renovations to the house, so the family (including 3yo grandson and Bernese Mountain dog) will be spending lots of time here for a few weeks. ❤️  Another granddaughter, turning 2 next week, was also born at 36 weeks. She is now in the 90th percentile, so is a model for her tiny cousin to aspire to. I think that I'll be able to get my steps in!

Prayers for those on the prayer list. and cheers for those on the celebration list. Raising my glass to those who make this a safe place to travel every day. Blessings to all.

• Like 31

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. Sun screen is definitely a necessity to protect our skin. 

I like the quote.

The meal would be a good side; like the drinks.

I haven't been to today's port.

It's much cooler here today after storms yesterday; feels good. Saturday our high temp will only be 59F.

BFF asked me to go to a restaurant this weekend. I haven't eaten out at all since last March 2020. I'm not sure if it will be inside or outside. I'm psyching myself up for it, especially since my antibody test was positive.

@StLouisCruisers Sending prayers for peace for you, your sister and your whole family. Safe travels.

@smitty34877 More prayers for Tana.

@kazu Hoping your dental procedure next week is as painless as possible.

@erewhon This virus is so tenacious. Stay safe!

@bennybear So sorry for the loss of your neighbor and prayers for your DSIL.

@Horizon chaser 1957 The shawl is beautiful!

@St. Louis Sal Good luck with your visit and tests.

@cunnorl What a nice tribute to your DB.

@ger_77 That's great that DH tolerated his 2nd shot without issues.

@Dismomx5 Congrats on the new granddaughter!

@Himself https://www.ftlauderdalewebcam.com/   https://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

It is rainy (it has the feel of an all-day affair) and chilly here, it could drop into the mid 30s tonight. I might have to put some of the plants in the garage! 

Yesterday was beautiful, we managed to get a fair bit of yard work done and rewarded ourselves with St Louis Style ribs on the grill.

Our other Trillium is blooming and it is a bit odd. The flower petals are green and look pretty much like a leaf. 

20210526_104749.thumb.jpg.811751958410436d79ba3cf34a30464e.jpg

We also discovered a lovely blueish purple Columbine in the back. A bunny seems to have been feasting on the leaves!

20210526_104916.thumb.jpg.fdf98852afc1fa46de3063160f949337.jpg20210526_104909.thumb.jpg.393557068b92f952c1f569b764e75446.jpg

• Like 26

Good morning.  I use sun screen when I remember it, though I know it should be a daily habit.  I like the old time player pianos, and we have a modern one.  It’s easier to change a disc than one of those paper rolls.  

I like William Wallace’s quote.

We have not been been to today’s port.  Hope someone has and has pictures to share.

@KirkNC  We wish we could send you some of our rain.  April through June is our rainy season, but this month even more than usual.  By August, we’ll be wishing for some of this rain.

@cat shepard  What a lovely description of the Daily and those who make up this community.

@kazu Your meme about housework must have been written about me. 🤣

@Cruising-along  You are not alone, heights are my big fear too.  Ever since I climbed the Leaning Tower of Pisa, I’m a little better, but still am not crazy about them.  Cute picture of your DGSs and their dad including the brother with a wrapped arm.

@cunnorl  Wow!  You and your family must be so proud of how many people thought so much of your DB with a record in donations.

@smitty34877 Hope Tana get better soon, and good that you could talk to her today.

@Dismomx5 Congratulations on the new DGD.

It was sunny when I got up, but the clouds are moving in and the rain should start again tonight or tomorrow through Saturday.

I’ll be finishing yesterday’s project of cleaning the driveway and port and washing and waxing the cars.  Actually, the driveway cleaning is on hold until our new pressure washer arrives.  There is too much embedded dirt in the concrete to get it clean any other way.  Instead, I got the outside of the windows washed.  Guess that means I now have to clean the inside of the windows too.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 21

Good morning from a soggy Pacific Northwest, I awoke to the sound of the pitter patter of the rain hitting the windows, definitely more of a fall/winter weather event and the pluviophiles, I included, are rejoicing, it'll be another 4 to 5 months before we see moderate rainfall like this on an almost daily basis, so we better enjoy this day while we have it.

Lunch as Shari's yesterday was good but the traffic was awful, if anything good came from the pandemic it would have to be the lack of traffic.  I despise traffic and driving in general.  Running a two person + cat household alone and as a stroke patient is never fun, today's challenge is a nasty leak under the kitchen sink, so I will be heading up to the landlady's office when she gets in.  

Thanks to all the listers.  Prayers and thoughts to all who need them.  

Today's menu sounds refreshing, I think a salad is in order, at almost 30 meals (not including snacks) on a 7 day cruise, I can be prudent for a few of them.  I will meet you all in the MDR lower level for lunch with a table overlooking the stern.  The water outside is turbulent, the windows are awash in spray, the sun is shining brightly, looking upstairs through the atrium, the tables are set for dinner, wine glasses at attention.  I even see what Dear Dad and I consider to be "our table".  

As I gaze out the window, Tiger and Squak Mountains are shrouded in low clouds and fog.  Cougar, Taylor, and Rattlesnake sit majestically nearby.  These mountains and ridges within Seattle's eastern suburbs are not part of the Cascades themselves, but the remnants of a much older mountain range, known unofficially as the "Issaquah Alps".  Rattlesnake Ridge is the highest at over 3500 feet.  The much higher and imposing mountains of the Cascades begin right where the Alps end as seen in the picture below.  Here is Lake Sammamish with Issaquah on the left and Bellevue on the right.  Above them from left to right are Tiger, Squak, and Cougar Mountains, behind them are the cascades, with Mount Rainier in the distance, the volcanos are known as the high Cascades. 

Have a great day everyone!lake-sammamish-in-issaquah_orig.jpg.bab64a0a4ba16e853828d7eb1733fcd8.jpg

• Like 31