Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

47 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

They are taking this testing to ridiculous levels. Why test without symptoms and fully vaccinated, now they are testing everybody and their dog. Covid is still out there but is not putting people in hospitals and dying, much less dangerous that it once was.

Sugar Carol, you are right!

Darn, we never tested the family dog?  Maybe he is infecting us?  Make note:  Where can we get the dog tested for Covid?

By the way, both the dog and I have never gotten a Covid test.  I never had symptoms, and I've had no reason to get tested.  My wife has needed to get tested multiple times, for hospital purposes, and she has been negative each time, so I ASSUME that I am also negative.

8 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Here is a different take:

"the CDC also will no longer record mild or asymptomatic infections of those who were immunized as “COVID cases.” The only cases that now count as COVID cases for someone immunized with the COVID-19 vaccine are those that result in hospitalization or death."

I realize that cruising will be considered differently, but if these were cases on the land, they would not be counted based on the information we have to date (mild, asymptomatic).  That is assuming that they were vaccinated which I believe is a fair assumption barring fraud.

CDC Caught Cooking the Books on COVID Vaccines (mercola.com)

Totally off topic (sorry everyone) but I LOVE your CC id — don’t interact with many people who are fortunate enough to know what a Basenji is, let alone obviously love them.  I grew up with them, and currently have a mix that we took in as a stray — it’s an assumption that he is a mix, but between his ability to jump the fence, curly tail, daintily crossed front paws, and unmistakable stance, I think I’m right.  Plus, he is crazy smart and a PITA, lol.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Sugar Carol, you are right!

Darn, we never tested the family dog?  Maybe he is infecting us?  Make note:  Where can we get the dog tested for Covid?

By the way, both the dog and I have never gotten a Covid test.  I never had symptoms, and I've had no reason to get tested.  My wife has needed to get tested multiple times, for hospital purposes, and she has been negative each time, so I ASSUME that I am also negative.

My daughter in FL called me yesterday and told me she was taking her dog to get the vaccine. What?? HA HA Mom...you were pranked. We both laughed so hard.

13 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

Totally off topic (sorry everyone) but I LOVE your CC id — don’t interact with many people who are fortunate enough to know what a Basenji is, let alone obviously love them.  I grew up with them, and currently have a mix that we took in as a stray — it’s an assumption that he is a mix, but between his ability to jump the fence, curly tail, daintily crossed front paws, and unmistakable stance, I think I’m right.  Plus, he is crazy smart and a PITA, lol.

Sounds like a basenji!  They are a breed apart.  I helped found a group called Basenji Rescue And Transport: BRAT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kathy49 said:

Here is US I have never heard an efficacy rate of more than 95% and probably less on certain adults with compromised immune systems. That number if for Pfizer and Moderna and is less for J and J. We know nothing about these passengers yet...what they did while in port, their general health and age group and what vaccine they had. Look forward to more details and assume CDC watching this for data. We are all still in a giant experiment with a vaccine not yet approved except for emergency use and a virus which continues to mutate. I think many tend to want to ignore some of the risk in order to feel better about traveling.

When talking about vaccine efficacy there is a huge difference between relative risk reduction (RRR) and absolute risk reduction (ARR). The 95% number being reported is the relative risk reduction (RRR) whereas the absolute risk reduction (ARR) is only approximately 1%. This Lancet article explains the difference. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00069-0/fulltext 

From the article:

"fully understanding the efficacy and effectiveness of vaccines is less straightforward than it might seem....the absolute risk reduction (ARR), which is the difference between attack rates with and without a vaccine, considers the whole population. ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·2% for the J&J, 0·93% for the Gamaleya, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

Has anyone considered that while in the foreign country they were exposed to an asymptomatic and was in the nostrils when the swab was done. They are taking this testing to ridiculous levels. Why test without symptoms and fully vaccinated, now they are testing everybody and their dog. Covid is still out there but is not putting people in hospitals and dying, much less dangerous that it once was

Think that’s a little premature, with the virus mutating at the rate it is, it will only take one mutation that avoids the vaccine to put us all back to the start. Until the numbers worldwide are reduced to much lower levels, we still need to remain vigilant and cautious about where the virus is and what it’s doing. We also need to continue  to practice good hygiene. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

When talking about vaccine efficacy there is a huge difference between relative risk reduction (RRR) and absolute risk reduction (ARR). The 95% number being reported is the relative risk reduction (RRR) whereas the absolute risk reduction (ARR) is only approximately 1%. This Lancet article explains the difference. 

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00069-0/fulltext 

From the article:

"fully understanding the efficacy and effectiveness of vaccines is less straightforward than it might seem....the absolute risk reduction (ARR), which is the difference between attack rates with and without a vaccine, considers the whole population. ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·2% for the J&J, 0·93% for the Gamaleya, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines."

Be careful, pointing out the science will run you the risk of being called an anti-vaxxer. 😉

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Sounds like a basenji!  They are a breed apart.  I helped found a group called Basenji Rescue And Transport: BRAT.

The PITA part was the dead giveaway, lol.  They are definitely a breed apart, but so are people who love and appreciate them.  I’m grateful Felix found his way to us, so that he could be with a family that understood how to ...have a successful and loving relationship with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think what the other poster believes is rare is to have two vaccine breakthroughs. From what is known, breakthrough COVID cases in FULLY VACCINATED people is rare.  

If they were unvaccinated it would be more understandable given COVID's infectivity rate. But both vaccinated and both being vaccine failures?  Fairly uncommon. 

I wonder which vaccine they got? 

But we really don't know how rare asymptomatic COVID is in fully vaccinated people.  I suspect it is rare for fully vaccinated people to be tested (except for those wanting to cruise, and maybe health care workers whose jobs require periodic testing).  My husband and I were fully vaccinated the third week in February (2nd Moderna vaccination was February 9th).  I have had a lot of exposure to maskless people since then (I live in Florida).  If I had contracted COVID but had no (or mild, allergy-like) symptoms, I wouldn't know it, because I have allergies year-round. 

• Like 1

I am fixated on Hawaii as that is my coming cruise in November. The Governor shut that state down when this crap started. They are over the top strict on who can even fly into the state. My point for bringing this up because the guidelines and timelines for opening up to tourism makes an awful lot of sense. They have levels and is all connected to the safety of their state. Someime in the middle of July mainlanders will be able to fly without testing if fully vaccinated and the state has reached herd immunity. NCL is saying this will be 100% vaccinated cruise which i am sure was hashed out with Hawaii months ago.This is the reason I am only willing to take a cruise without the threat of testing false positive. Are there any countries so far that has ships stopping that have reached herd immunity? If not then I wont sail there. I am fully vaccinated and would rather cruise than fish and that is saying alot. This vaccinated/non vaccinated passengers cruising togdther is nuts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

But we really don't know how rare asymptomatic COVID is in fully vaccinated people.  I suspect it is rare for fully vaccinated people to be tested (except for those wanting to cruise, and maybe health care workers whose jobs require periodic testing).  My husband and I were fully vaccinated the third week in February (2nd Moderna vaccination was February 9th).  I have had a lot of exposure to maskless people since then (I live in Florida).  If I had contracted COVID but had no (or mild, allergy-like) symptoms, I wouldn't know it, because I have allergies year-round. 

it is honestly not that rare...unless you understand the virus it seems stupid...anyone having any surgery has to be tested...even the "covid tested" flights are requiring testing prior to boarding and upon landing. On that one I think it extreme and will not last.  Frankly travel right now sounds like too much work.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

And we will never know since the new CDC guidance says don't count a vaccinated person who tests positive for Covid as a Covid case unless they die or are hospitalized.  So, even if you test positive, you won't show up in the records if you say you were vaccinated.  Granted, this makes the Covid numbers look better, but is it really a good idea?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Antropos said:

I agree that they handle it the right way. But there will be people who were staring blindy to those vaccines and now come to realize that the vaccine only keeps you from getting sick and it doesn't guarantee that you won't attract the virus and test positive; indeed possibly resulting in missing ports and quarantines. That realization might lead to some people cancelling their cruise. 

Again, on the presumption that this doesn't concern false positives, fake vaccination cards, etc. At this point we simply don't know enough yet. I understood from another thread that not even all passengers have been tested yet. 

Didn't the travel writer on the cruise say in her latest blog that both of the people who tested positive were tested a second time and both were positive again? I thought I read that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, taxiang said:

Yes. 100% vaxxed

Not totally accurate. 95% totally vaccinated, 5% for unvaxxed .

5 hours ago, anniegb said:

Is that accurate - someone posted there are unvaccinated children on board. Just asking.

Annie

Yes. One of the bloggers I follow has his child on board with him and the rest of his family.

1 minute ago, basenji56 said:

And we will never know since the new CDC guidance says don't count a vaccinated person who tests positive for Covid as a Covid case unless they die or are hospitalized.  So, even if you test positive, you won't show up in the records if you say you were vaccinated.  Granted, this makes the Covid numbers look better, but is it really a good idea?

It's surely to make the numbers look better in my opinion. In NJ apparently there have been 20 covid deaths among the fully vaccinated.  The news stated this last night and they said however, only 8 will be recognized as covid!  Per cdc guidance.  And these are deaths.  However, if you test positive, unvaccinated, and die any way withing 30 or maybe it's 28 days.  Guess what  Covid!  To me they are cooking the books. And that is not right.  Gives a false sense of security 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Perhaps I'm not understanding correctly but I think the incubation period for COVID-19 can be up to 14 days and during that period the subject may still test negative?  Most of the comments I've seen assume they were infected on board.  But that may not be the case.  Celebrity, of course, has to react as though it was from someone on board.  

THAT is the problem with allowing un-vaxxed passengers on board. Even testing those folks who are un-vaxxed, they can test negative. They could be in the incubation period and the cruise line would not know they are actually boarding infected individuals.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kearney said:

Interesting to compare protocols... when the golfer Rahm tested positive...they did not test the golfers he was with because they had been vaccinated... they also did not isolate.

That is what the CDC guidelines are for vaccinated people.

18 hours ago, morfred said:

Two in the same cabin seems a little suspect.

I don't know why this is suspicious. If you're sharing a cabin with someone who gets infected the chances are higher that you will become infected as well. It's not easy to socially distance in a stateroom. And if you're both vaccinated you wouldn't bother anyway. They are asymptomatic; if they hadn't been tested they and everyone else may never have known they were infected. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

What are these and to which airline(s) does this apply?  TIA

This is being done to Europe...in particular I am aware of Delta and United going to italy...by taking one of these flights you can avoid the mandatory quarantine period when you arrive. Probably none impact cruises right now other than Med cruises etc.

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

This is being done to Europe...in particular I am aware of Delta and United going to italy...by taking one of these flights you can avoid the mandatory quarantine period when you arrive. Probably none impact cruises right now other than Med cruises etc.

Ah, that makes sense.  Thank you.  My dreams of getting back to Europe for travel any time soon are, well...just that...dreams.

It still seems a little early to cruise.  They are using contact tracing.  If someone you have been in contact gets a positive test, you basically are in quarantine in your cabin until you come back with a negative test.  This does not sound like a vacation.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It still seems a little early to cruise.  They are using contact tracing.  If someone you have been in contact gets a positive test, you basically are in quarantine in your cabin until you come back with a negative test.  This does not sound like a vacation.

If you contract COVID on the sailing Celebrity will refund you 100% your cruise fare....cover all medical expenses on the ship....quarantine fees incurred and pay to get you home. I am betting if you are quarantined for contact tracing and test negative if not a full refund....a good % of it will be compensated.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1