Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

12 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

In hotels and parks you have limited contact with each person . On a cruise ship you are together for a week or more and although you many never meet the people with covid you many also form a bond and be together daily

Yes, I am well aware of this.  There are also many indoor attractions at Disney.  As I said, it's not right or wrong, but my point is that Cruise Lines are not being treated equally.  How about we test everyone that goes into a resort for a week?  Or test everyone who goes on a plane?  I can guarantee you that a bunch of people would test positive.  

I'm just being Devil's advocate here.  DH and I are fully vaccinated.  

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It was my understanding that everyone that was on the excursion or else where with the positive cruisers were quarantined until they showed a negative test.  The article mentions that 200 tests were performed after the positive.  Not six or eight.

So 2 people in a cabin tested positive, but allegedly were vaccinated.  Then, everyone else tested negative.  I feel there may be more to to this story. 

11 minutes ago, Lolou127 said:

Have they? this is news to me, I’ve seen nothing about this in the news media, do you have a link for me to read up on this?

Here’s a story about this: 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-delta-variant-60-more-transmissible-than-alpha-and-more-resistant-to-vaccines-phe-reports-12330068

New PHE research suggests the Delta variant is associated with a 64% increased risk of household transmission compared with the Alpha variant - and is 40% more transmissible outdoors. 

As of 7 June, there have been 42 deaths in England of people confirmed as having the Delta variant and who died within 28 days of testing positive.

Of these people, 23 were unvaccinated, seven had had their first dose more than 21 days before and 12 had their second dose more than 14 days before....

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

So 2 people in a cabin tested positive, but allegedly were vaccinated.  Then, everyone else tested negative.  I feel there may be more to to this story. 

I am with you.It doesn't make any logic.

Hope we know more about that 2 covid-19passengers.

As far as I know the vaccine works.

Edited by verizon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, verizon said:

I am with you.It doesn't make any logic.

Hope we know more about that 2 covid-19passengers.

As far as I know the vaccine works.

Someone posted this AM that the 2 passengers have now tested NEGATIVE and are back to normal activities. I requested where they heard it on the news. I googled for a story but nothing yet. "Sensational" news travels faster than Good news................not physics but the law of Media.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It was my understanding that everyone that was on the excursion or else where with the positive cruisers were quarantined until they showed a negative test.  The article mentions that 200 tests were performed after the positive.  Not six or eight.

You are very likely correct about the excursion, but my reading of the reporting made it seem that the 200 tests were part of the routine preparation for arrival in St Maarten and that's when they found the positive passengers. I haven't read anything about how many crew or any measure of additional testing done in response to the positives - but I'm sure there was some, but probably not 200.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

You are very likely correct about the excursion, but my reading of the reporting made it seem that the 200 tests were part of the routine preparation for arrival in St Maarten and that's when they found the positive passengers. I haven't read anything about how many crew or any measure of additional testing done in response to the positives - but I'm sure there was some, but probably not 200.

"From the start, Celebrity has been totally transparent about what’s happening, and the captain of Celebrity Millennium, which is carrying about 600 passengers and 700 crew, made an announcement to say that 200 passengers had been tested since the first two positives had been detected, and no additional positive results were found."

The additional testing was performed after the two positives.

Edited by NMTraveller

9 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What happens if you are contact traced and quarantined in your stateroom until you test negative?  Is there any compensation there?

I think only people who were  confined for a couple of hours were the ones resulting from the contact tracing   Re the Barbados’s tour.  There was no charge for testing and the ones that were confined had free stream wifi, free movies and were delivered a bottle of sparking wine and goodies. 

• Like 1

This is post #544 on this thread. There is so much posted here that I decided to sit back, sip my coffee, and try and figure out what is actually going on.  So all I still know is that 2 vaccinated and previously tested people in the same stateroom tested positive and then retested positive.  All others on the ship tested negative.  All procedures were followed.  I have learned nothing more and there is no further information.  All the rest is speculation.  Some accusation. There is also a lot of misinformation and some lack of understanding of vaccines and Covid.  But also some very good posts with good information too.  OK back to the thread........😀 

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This is post #544 on this thread. There is so much posted here that I decided to sit back, sip my coffee, and try and figure out what is actually going on.  So all I still know is........😀 

😀 One thing I think that has been reassuring in all of this, though an unfortunate situation, is that shipboard life continued on. I think a major hesitancy in booking right now is the question, “What happens when there is a positive test onboard?” And Millennium had 2. We can read the policies and procedures in advance but want to see if the real world scenario matches the protocols. Celebrity seemed prepared and according to those onboard, the ship is filled with pleased cruisers who had an enjoyable time. I pray everyone on board continues to stay healthy, I’m sure some will re-test on their own as a precaution.

Best Wishes to All!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I didn’t read the whole article, I stopped when I found the gist of what I was looking for. Since they are regular doctors first, I would think the extra certification would just pertain to what they do different.

They do nothing different other than try to diagnose and fix the cause and not just the symptoms.

Can anyone confirm what kind of testing is being done?  As a passenger I would be far more comfortable with the PCR than Antigen aka Rapid Test which tends to have more false positives.  Usually if an Antigen is positive they would follow with PCR and I assume that is what happened here resulting in the confirmed positive. While the ship continued on to be honest this does impact the entire ship and can create stress for many passengers. I think these days one has to evaluate your individual tolerance for this level of testing and potential stress before you travel...there will be positive cases...there will be false positives (and probably negatives) and travelers need to get used to this for quite some time in the future. Getting fully vaccinated is the most we can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

Checked, this is correct, but the people were described as having “profound comorbidities”. This is per the Telegraph.

There are a number of people for whom vaccines either do not work or do not work as well.  Most of these people are taking some types of immune suppressant drugs (for treating other issues), chemotherapy or something else that has impacted their immune systems.  These people can vulnerable even after taking a vaccine and are great reason why EVERYONE  needs to take a vaccine.  We have to help each other and not just be selfish and think only about ourselves.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, syesmar said:

😀 One thing I think that has been reassuring in all of this, though an unfortunate situation, is that shipboard life continued on. I think a major hesitancy in booking right now is the question, “What happens when there is a positive test onboard?” And Millennium had 2. We can read the policies and procedures in advance but want to see if the real world scenario matches the protocols. Celebrity seemed prepared and according to those onboard, the ship is filled with pleased cruisers who had an enjoyable time. I pray everyone on board continues to stay healthy, I’m sure some will re-test on their own as a precaution.

Best Wishes to All!

Yes! The great step forward that seems to be missed or ignored by some.  This happened in June 2021, not in Feb 2020.  A lot has been learned about the virus, and vaccines and drugs were developed. And multiple types of tests.  Detailed procedures have been worked out as well as port agreements.  Two fully vaccinated passengers tested positive and were not sick. That is possible and likely according to the science published for these vaccines.  And this has been anticipated and planned for by Celebrity.  The preparation and planning worked in this case.  Every cruise is likely to have this situation.  Just like in your town or anywhere else.  It is unfortunate for the two passengers that they had to be isolated.  But the rest of the cruise went on as planned.

42 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

"From the start, Celebrity has been totally transparent about what’s happening, and the captain of Celebrity Millennium, which is carrying about 600 passengers and 700 crew, made an announcement to say that 200 passengers had been tested since the first two positives had been detected, and no additional positive results were found."

The additional testing was performed after the two positives.

All passengers were being tested to reenter SXM and then the US. This testing was not precipitated by the positive cases, it was in the process when the two positive cases were found. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, radarcruiser said:

And apparently the rest of the letters as well.

As the parent of an autistic kid (and the spouse of an autistic person), Mercola rolls with Andrew Wakefield and the rest of the folks that feel my family is Less Than. 

When I hear someone quote Mercola, I usually dip out of that convo. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

All passengers were being tested to reenter SXM and then the US. This testing was not precipitated by the positive cases, it was in the process when the two positive cases were found. 

The passengers who were quarantined got their tests a day earlier than scheduled.  They got the test that night when they were scheduled for the test the next day.

Edited by NMTraveller

11 minutes ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

As the parent of an autistic kid (and the spouse of an autistic person), Mercola rolls with Andrew Wakefield and the rest of the folks that feel my family is Less Than. 

When I hear someone quote Mercola, I usually dip out of that convo. 

Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The passengers who were quarantined got their tests a day earlier than scheduled.  They got the test that night when they were scheduled for the test the next day.

There would be no reason to test asymptomatic passengers other than as part of the routine testing that was taking place and has been discussed by those on board the ship. The quarantined passengers moved up in the schedule of the routine tests because of their exposure to the two positive passengers. 

EDIT: We are saying the same thing really. But it is not correct to say that 200 passengers were tested because the positive cases were found. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, sugcarol said:

10,000  breaktbroughs out of 130 million vaxed is 0.00007% That is miniscule. People are acting like total idiots and obviously cant count.

Which makes it highly unlikely that both people in the same cabin who claim to be vaccinated have tested Covid virus positive twice. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

There would be no reason to test asymptomatic passengers other than as part of the routine testing that was taking place and has been discussed by those on board the ship. The quarantined passengers moved up in the schedule of the routine tests because of their exposure to the two positive passengers. 

EDIT: We are saying the same thing really. But it is not correct to say that 200 passengers were tested because the positive cases were found. 

I get your point.  All of the 200 may not have been quarantined and some were regular scheduled tests.  Still not an experience that I would pay for.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1