Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

28 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

The results of the retest is positive for both passengers. That was reported by the travel writer on board. 

The same rapid test was run twice. Still waiting to hear the results of the PCR test.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I get your point.  All of the 200 may not have been quarantined and some were regular scheduled tests.  Still not an experience that I would pay for.

But this is the exact experience that everybody signed up for.  That is cruising for the foreseeable future.  At least now people have their eyes opened to it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

It was my understanding that everyone that was on the excursion or else where with the positive cruisers were quarantined until they showed a negative test.  The article mentions that 200 tests were performed after the positive.  Not six or eight.

They were already committing to testing all passengers onboard headed back to a country that requires a negative test for admission (such as the US).  They are just reporting that these are now completed -- and negative.

6 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

The same rapid test was run twice. Still waiting to hear the results of the PCR test.

is there some official statement as to the normal test being antigen and now a pending pcr after two positive antigen. there are so many stories flying around that I tend to not take any seriously. I am pretty sure that the normal tests for these cruises is antigen as they are far less expensive but if false ++ get too frequent that is going to really mess things up.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

But this is the exact experience that everybody signed up for.  That is cruising for the foreseeable future.  At least now people have their eyes opened to it.

And it's just another reason to have cruises be 100% vaccinated.  While it wouldn't be impossible to have a positive test on such a cruise, the likelihood of it happening is incredibly remote.  There's probably a better chance of hitting a quarter sized target from 50 yards with a pea shooter than 2 vaccinated people transmitting Covid to one another. 

Having unvaccinated passengers is a road best avoided, IMO.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I’m really surprised it’s taken this long actually.  This was always a possibility. 

7 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

is there some official statement as to the normal test being antigen and now a pending pcr after two positive antigen...

The live stream last night from the YT Channel mentioned in this Thread (passenger on board) stated that PCR tests confirmed the initial positive tests.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

And it's just another reason to have cruises be 100% vaccinated.  While it wouldn't be impossible to have a positive test on such a cruise, the likelihood of it happening is incredibly remote.  There's probably a better chance of hitting a quarter sized target from 50 yards with a pea shooter than 2 vaccinated people transmitting Covid to one another. 

For Celebrity, that is possible (but still problematic given that many kids still aren't eligible for vaccination.)  For Royal, Disney, Carnival--much more difficult.

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

There has been pages and pages of speculation of what cruises would look like once they started sailing. In my book the quarantines were a possibility but I did not view them as being a likelihood.  Now we all know what a cruise will look like.  No speculation anymore.

Hopefully in the future the numbers will go down and the possibility of a  quarantine will be lower than it is now.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

this cruise was a close to 100% as you can get...it was the first and it had two positive results. Sorry but not that remote and it will be a very long time before children of all ages can be and will be tested so those cruises that cater to families will never be 100%,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kathy49 said:

Can anyone confirm what kind of testing is being done?  As a passenger I would be far more comfortable with the PCR than Antigen aka Rapid Test which tends to have more false positives.

Could you post a source for this please?

The more I think about it, given the number of breakthrough infections at almost nil, the likelihood of any fully vaccinated person transmitting is almost nil, and the likelihood of any truly problematic (meaning needle-moving in the grand scheme of things) event, the preponderance of immunity overall in the Western countries, the idea that we test vaccinated and recovered people seems highly irrational.  Just as the draconian lockdowns were a disproportional response to the threat, that we test (and respond as paranoidedly expected) this immmune cohort at all seems even worse.  Even testing anybody who is not symptomatic seems bizarre.  We dont flu [insert any other medical diagnostic] test everybody do we?.  We dont test any other industry do we?

So we have a positive test from two people who are otherwise not unwell.  So what?  Mask or not at your own risk, distance or not at your own risk, vaccinate or not at your own risk.

Evidence we have delusional people still making decisions.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Could you post a source for this please?

it is common knowledge...have read it many places and been told the same by the testers at Mayo Clinic who will not use it. Sorry no link but if you do the research you can find it.

28 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Yes which makes this a very unusual case indeed.  I won't speculate on this.  Maybe we will eventually find out the story.  IMO everybody should leave it at that.  The procedures worked which is the best possible news.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

For Celebrity, that is possible (but still problematic given that many kids still aren't eligible for vaccination.)  For Royal, Disney, Carnival--much more difficult.

Not really. Just no unvaccinated kids to start. It’s not forever. And Carnival made the choice a couple of days ago.  No vaccine.  No cruise. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

this cruise was a close to 100% as you can get...it was the first and it had two positive results. Sorry but not that remote and it will be a very long time before children of all ages can be and will be tested so those cruises that cater to families will never be 100%,

I think this kind of things will happen even with 100% vaccination on the cruise.  When it is required to have procedural testing (not because of symptoms), you are going to get some positives in a large pool of people traveling.  You don't just teleport directly from home to the cruise.  You have air travel, transportation, hotel, restaurants, etc... in between.   The cruise maybe 100% vaccinated, but the world is not.   There are probably a lot of vaccinated people cannot get on a flight to the US because they tested positive for covid.   But you don't see that on the news.   This is why I am not doing any international travel until routine covid testing is not required for vaccinated/asymptomatic person. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

There has been pages and pages of speculation of what cruises would look like once they started sailing. In my book the quarantines were a possibility but I did not view them as being a likelihood.  Now we all know what a cruise will look like.  No speculation anymore.

Hopefully in the future the numbers will go down and the possibility of a  quarantine will be lower than it is now.

Quarantines for positive cases and close contacts on board were always a possibility and it’s really puzzling to me that anyone thought otherwise. The CSO is pretty clear on it and has not been modified in that regard. Cruises happening elsewhere around the world have instituted quarantines when necessary and its been regularly publicized.  Again, really mystified at the level of surprise on this. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, lostchild said:

I think this kind of things will happen even with 100% vaccination on the cruise.  When it is required to have procedural testing (not because of symptoms), you are going to get some positives in a large pool of people traveling.  You don't just teleport directly from home to the cruise.  You have air travel, transportation, hotel, restaurants, etc... in between.   The cruise maybe 100% vaccinated, but the world is not.   There are probably a lot of vaccinated people cannot get on a flight to the US because they tested positive for covid.   But you don't see that on the news.   This is why I am not doing any international travel until routine covid testing is not required for vaccinated/asymptomatic person. 

Yes the important take away from this post is "the cruise may be 100% vaccinated but the world is not" Also have to consider time in ports in countries where few are vaccinated. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

The passengers who were quarantined got their tests a day earlier than scheduled.  They got the test that night when they were scheduled for the test the next day.

Try reading from an actual passenger “onboard “ the ship. Everyone was in the process of being tested to head back to St. Maarten. Hopefully the below site is not against CC’s rules to post. 

https://cruise.blog/2021/06/live-celebrity-millennium-third-party-excursion-and-night-quarantine?fbclid=IwAR2Jb1eGA8BZpERGKIsx3qRn0FhAG3Ocf8uUy4MJYPZkRMTyeiUBHQva6c4

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I agree. I posted this somewhere else but Richard Fain stated on a video several months ago that Covid is with us to stay. At least for a long while. We have to learn how to live with it. That includes cruising on a ship. If people are going to wait until this virus has been totally eradicated then they may never cruise again. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

I agree. I posted this somewhere else but Richard Fain stated on a video several months ago that Covid is with us to stay. At least for a long while. We have to learn how to live with it. That includes cruising on a ship. If people are going to wait until this virus has been totally eradicated then they may never cruise again. 

agree...I think RCCL here handled it very well for sure...this will happen...no mystery or forged vaccination cert etc. If you want to cruise  best to be realistic and flexible.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Is the contact tracing criteria used for this cruise published anywhere?

I’m not familiar with where, but I’m also interested in protocols post-cruise. I would imagine there won’t be any contact tracing for departing passengers because all adults are vaccinated, per CDC guidelines, but I do think it would be helpful to know 14ish days from now if all passengers remained symptom-free (and also negative, though I would imagine most won’t get tested again). Anyone know if departing passengers are asked to report if they develop symptoms?

12 minutes ago, syesmar said:

I’m not familiar with where, but I’m also interested in protocols post-cruise. I would imagine there won’t be any contact tracing for departing passengers because all adults are vaccinated, per CDC guidelines, but I do think it would be helpful to know 14ish days from now if all passengers remained symptom-free (and also negative, though I would imagine most won’t get tested again). Anyone know if departing passengers are asked to report if they develop symptoms?

this is all impossible...these passengers all go to the airport and get on many different flights to get home...the only answer is getting all vaccinated.

• Like 1