Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

22 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

After 669 posts on this thread, I conclude that we have two groups of posters. Those who look at this whole incident as a positive because of how it was handled and how the cruise actually proceeded during the week, and those who want to stay locked up and believe no one should cruise because of ( fill in the blank).

Count me in the first group. Vaccinated and knowledgeable enough to know the difference between science fact and fear.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, I don't see it as being quite that dichotomous.  This is a unique virus/situation and the knowledge is evolving, albeit not in a direct linear way.  Rather, the process has been more of a "long and winding road" with one study coming out noting a conclusion, soon followed by another with differing results.  We've seen this in terms of how the virus is transmitted, the benefits of masks, the efficacy of vaccines, the merits of distancing and other precautions, the trustworthiness of the CDC, etc..  And unfortunately, too much of the media and too many political leaders seem to endorse the findings that fit their readers/supporters narratives, looking to enhance their readership or voter base by validating their pre-existing biases.  That is why I find "follow the science" to be a somewhat meaningless term.  What one reads/views and one's expertise in interpreting what they are reading matter.  For example, I have a neighbor who fervently insists he "follows the science" but he relies almost exclusively on one news network and Facebook posts.  Of course, others may search for more varied and neutral sources but how many of us truly are capable of assessing the methodology and merits of the various studies?   So, that leaves people such as myself - someone who has a family member with a health condition that would be very problematic were she to contract Covid - vacillating somewhere in the middle when it comes to cruising. It isn't a simple matter of choosing either to remain "locked up" in our homes vs "living life" as though the former makes one a cowering fool and the latter an intrepid patriot.  I think that most people want to enjoy life and to "get out there". However,  there are difficult decisions each of us must make with respect to the risk-reward ratio and the level of precaution that may be involved.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, basenji56 said:

As I posted earlier, under the new CDC guidance for the land, these two positive tests would NOT be counted as Covid cases IF the people were vaccinated because the positive Covid test result did not result in hospitalization or death.

They are still counted, by law, however they are not segmented and published as breakthrough cases on the CDC website. This was fact checked in detail by the AP and Reuters. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

After 669 posts on this thread, I conclude that we have two groups of posters. Those who look at this whole incident as a positive because of how it was handled and how the cruise actually proceeded during the week, and those who want to stay locked up and believe no one should cruise because of ( fill in the blank).

Count me in the first group. Vaccinated and knowledgeable enough to know the difference between science fact and fear.

Why the need to create an us vs them scenario?

I for one fit neither of your "sides". I don't feel a need to judge it good or bad. Nor do I think I bodes well or ill for cruising in general.

I'm not one to think that a few days into a situation we know enough to judge one way or another how well the protocols worked. Nor do I think those with concerns are cowards, scared of their own shadows.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

Nor do I think those with concerns are cowards, scared of their own shadows.

Although I have a cousin, fully vaccinated for quite some time now, who continues to wash with soap eggs she purchases from the grocery store.  And don't ask me what she does with fruits, 'cos I don't want to know.

I believe she falls under the "scared of their own shadows" category.  🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Although I have a cousin, fully vaccinated for quite some time now, who continues to wash with soap eggs she purchases from the grocery store.  And don't ask me what she does with fruits, 'cos I don't want to know.

I believe she falls under the "scared of their own shadows" category.  🙂

No different than my fully vaccinated BIL who drives by himself with a mask.  Can't fix stupid 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

No different than my fully vaccinated BIL who drives by himself with a mask.  Can't fix stupid 

Surely his choice and who is he harming ?

Calling people stupid for this is unkind although I agree his behaviour does appear OTT

Edited by anniegb
  • Like 12

25 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I work in a hospital and have to wear mine for 10 hours at a time.  I'm exhausted when I leave work and completely forget I'm wearing it when I leave.  I'll get home and my family laughs because I walk in with it still on.  Don't judge people you see driving who are wearing one.  You might need us sooner rather than later 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Apparently Holland America yesterday told all passengers on B2B Alaska sailings this summer that they will have to change their plans as the CDC has now said B2B's aren't allowed.  I can't document this, just repeating what someone on one of those ships stated.  I wonder if this is in response to the 2 positive results on Millie.

This would be very good for the cruise line.  You can bet Celebrity couldn't get the passengers off the ship fast enough.  Any possible transfers from the 2 infected people likely would not show up yet.  If that had been a 14 day cruise instead of a seven day cruise, this could have possibly been a completely different story.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I often wear a mask when driving to a store. It gets me used to the discomfort and I won't forget to wear it into the store.

29 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

🙂

I have always washed things from grocery stores. Long before covid made an appearance. Habits like egg washing make perfect sense when the source is a local farm. I wipe tops of cans before opening. Always have, always will.

Sure can't fix stupid, like judging the actions of others without understanding the reasoning behind the actions.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There were not two positive cases.  Two people had positive test results.  That is not the same thing.  They had no symptoms whatsoever.  Many don't seem to get this distinction.

You're singing my song.  Among those not getting the difference: Johns Hopkins.

Edited by marieps
  • Like 3

Just now, anniegb said:

Surely his choice and who is he harming ?

Calling people stupid for this is unkind although I agree it is OTT

Earlier this week, DW and I were discussing using masks next winter, not against COVID but against colds, sore throats, flu, etc.. This past winter, for the first time in decades, neither one of us had even a case of sniffles, and as masks are still required in public here, wearing them when out and about is second nature. I suppose there will be some quick to judge and call us stupid should we decide to do so, but if that makes them feel superior, so be it.

• Like 20

Just now, Fouremco said:

Earlier this week, DW and I were discussing using masks next winter, not against COVID but against colds, sore throats, flu, etc.. This past winter, for the first time in decades, neither one of us had even a case of sniffles, and as masks are still required in public here, wearing them when out and about is second nature. I suppose there will be some quick to judge and call us stupid should we decide to do so, but if that makes them feel superior, so be it.

As a healthcare worker who didn't get sick all winter, I'm not giving mine up during cold and flu season ever again.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

We’re thinking along the same lines. Our state reopens fully on Tuesday. Not exactly sure what that will look like but neither of us has had any kind of sickness since we started masking. I will still plan to wear one to the grocery store and other large box stores along with taking my hand sanitizer. If people want to look at me or comment then go ahead. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, cruisingator2 said:

We’re thinking along the same lines. Our state reopens fully on Tuesday. Not exactly sure what that will look like but neither of us has had any kind of sickness since we started masking. I will still plan to wear one to the grocery store and other large box stores along with taking my hand sanitizer. If people want to look at me or comment then go ahead. 

Congrats on your state's reopening.  As vital as CA is to the economy and as fatigued as her citizens must be, I pray it goes well.

3 minutes ago, marieps said:

Congrats on your state's reopening.  As vital as CA is to the economy and as fatigued as her citizens must be, I pray it goes well.

Thanks. It’s actually been going well in our area. Vaccine rates are going higher and higher for the state and many of the businesses in So Cal have already reopened. The big news is that out of state guests will now be able to visit places like Disneyland.  By the way, we’re former Atlanta residents. We have been out here for about four years. 😊

Outside of Asia, masking is not a common thing.  But visit any Asian country, and it's a common occurrence.  They're used for many reasons.  To avoid air pollution.  To avoid sun exposure.  If ill, to avoid spreading germs, and also to avoid catching them.  Every street cart vendor sells them. The big cities are so dense that the idea of personal space is foreign to them.  Because of their common acceptance, even prior to Covid, they avoided the number of infections and death that the US saw.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

You will get some comments.   I got one from my wife just the other day wearing one on the way from the car to the restaurant!

"You don't have to wear one until we get to the restaurant!"

"But then I have to carry it, might as well wear it!"

But seriously, I have been reading about people confronting others for wearing masks.   I am sure this will get worst once the state (CA) opens on 6/15.   I am sure there will be people choose to wear masks and get confronted.   Back in 2019 winter, I bought a pack of cold medicines from Costco thinking that it would be easily finished by expiration date 2/2022.   Now I am not so sure....as it has not even been opened yet and no one in the house got the common cold the entire year of 2020 and 21 today.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, anniegb said:

When a positive test is confirmed, of course it is a case.

Useful to know not to trust US case numbers.

Btw I don't trust the numbers from China, India or Russia either

My husband’s false positive was re-labeled as a negative after a negative rapid 24 hours later and then a negative PCR after the negative rapid. 

Our health department also subtracted it from the county’s count the day they relabeled it. So I trust at least my county’s numbers. 🤷🏻‍♀️

1 minute ago, lostchild said:

You will get some comments.   I got one from my wife just the other day wearing one on the way from the car to the restaurant!

"You don't have to wear one until we get to the restaurant!"

"But then I have to carry it, might as well wear it!"

But seriously, I have been reading about people confronting others for wearing masks.   I am sure this will get worst once the state (CA) opens on 6/15.   I am sure there will be people choose to wear masks and get confronted.   Back in 2019 winter, I bought a pack of cold medicines from Costco thinking that it would be easily finished by expiration date 2/2022.   Now I am not so sure....as it has not even been opened yet and no one in the house got the common cold the entire year of 2020 and 21 today.

I think here in CA it will depend on the part of the state. Here in Palm Springs (So Cal) the mask issue has never really been an issue. Overall most accepted it with very little pushback but yes there will always be some who think differently which is fine. 

2 hours ago, Bluewake said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, however, I don't see it as being quite that dichotomous.  This is a unique virus/situation and the knowledge is evolving, albeit not in a direct linear way.  Rather, the process has been more of a "long and winding road" with one study coming out noting a conclusion, soon followed by another with differing results.  We've seen this in terms of how the virus is transmitted, the benefits of masks, the efficacy of vaccines, the merits of distancing and other precautions, the trustworthiness of the CDC, etc..  And unfortunately, too much of the media and too many political leaders seem to endorse the findings that fit their readers/supporters narratives, looking to enhance their readership or voter base by validating their pre-existing biases.  That is why I find "follow the science" to be a somewhat meaningless term.  What one reads/views and one's expertise in interpreting what they are reading matter.  For example, I have a neighbor who fervently insists he "follows the science" but he relies almost exclusively on one news network and Facebook posts.  Of course, others may search for more varied and neutral sources but how many of us truly are capable of assessing the methodology and merits of the various studies?   So, that leaves people such as myself - someone who has a family member with a health condition that would be very problematic were she to contract Covid - vacillating somewhere in the middle when it comes to cruising. It isn't a simple matter of choosing either to remain "locked up" in our homes vs "living life" as though the former makes one a cowering fool and the latter an intrepid patriot.  I think that most people want to enjoy life and to "get out there". However,  there are difficult decisions each of us must make with respect to the risk-reward ratio and the level of precaution that may be involved.

I certainly cannot disagree with your decisions given the situation you are in. My post was more directed at those who insist on here that it's "too dangerous" to cruise.

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Living In Florida, we went North to see the Kids and Grandkids mid March, 2020. Flight up was normal. Flight back was surreal.  Back in FL, we followed all the guidelines, masks, sanitizer, constant handwashing, etc. Never scrubbed the food or left the mail out in the garage to "decontaminate" since I knew that was ridiculous ( the early tests that said they found SARS-CoV-2 on surfaces were of an amount too small to cause Covid and the CDC has since retracted that "info"). Our golf courses were kept open, restaurants shifted to delivery and takeout, etc. By last summer, restaurants opened at 50% for indoor dining and, being FL, we had access to many outdoor dining establishments. FL never truly shut down like many States and our economy, tho bruised, was never decimated as many other State economies have been by the draconian decisions made by the Powers That Be. FL today is like FL in February 2020, open and free having experienced less misery and death than many other States. I know not all will agree with me and that's fine. This is my personal experience and my way of saying to you that the best is yet to come for you in CA.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Thanks. It’s actually been going well in our area. Vaccine rates are going higher and higher for the state and many of the businesses in So Cal have already reopened. The big news is that out of state guests will now be able to visit places like Disneyland.  By the way, we’re former Atlanta residents. We have been out here for about four years. 😊

We love the west.  Just back from Utah nat'l parks and Yosemite is next.  We always use Vegas as our base!  Except for Yellowstone....that was SLC.