Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

6 minutes ago, kearney said:

I do wonder about false positives. Royal just announced that on their AOS sailings out of Bahamas (which we have booked) that they will be testing all passengers..even vaccinated ones before boarding. This is more conservative than what I have seen in some CDC guidance... and fine...except that if there is a relatively high likelihood of false positives...how would you feel being vaccinated and finding out in the Bahamas that you are testing positive.  What do they do if you get yourself tested before leaving home...and your results conflict with their results??

This was not a case of false positive. Both individuals were tested again and confirmed positive. False positives are relatively rare. False negatives are the true problem. They also test again by PCR to confirm a positive antigen test. AOS will do the same. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

So why not have the subject blow his nose then retest?  That might be a bit simplistic, I suppose.  

I’ve been tested twice and never been asked to ‘blow my nose’ before swabbing.

4 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Two things this event suggests:

1. Cruises need 100% vaccinated passengers, sorry Fl and Tx Govs,

2. Vaccinated individuals getting covid around a .0007% incidence rate. Two occur in same cabin? Statistics indicate something may be wrong here.

Falsified vaccine status is a possibility. 😏

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

Two things this event suggests:

1. Cruises need 100% vaccinated passengers, sorry Fl and Tx Govs,

2. Vaccinated individuals getting covid around a .0007% incidence rate. Two occur in same cabin? Statistics indicate something may be wrong here.

I find it very odd statistically that two vaccinated people in the same cabin would both test positive. This has been bugging me all night. I mean think about what this means in terms of vaccine efficacy.

1. How did these passengers show proof?

2. Which vaccine did they receive?

3. How long ago were they vaccinated?

Edited by Keys2Heaven
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

A close contact from an excursion has tested negative according to Facebook and have been released from their cabin. Anyone that is surprised by cases on board doesn’t understand how vaccines work. What does show how vaccines work is so far the two that tested positive haven’t spread it to anyone. Good news so far and demonstrates why we need vaccinated sailings. 

Edited by AbbyCruiser45
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, s0479 said:

You can still get infected if vaccinated.  Just shouldn’t happen as often or as bad.

That's  what they say.

And some vaccinated people seem to test pos  shortly after getting the shots  although not sick ..Happened to a friend who had to isolate for 10 days and re test .  Result was  neg on re test.

We are all part of a "big uncontrolles study"...l still lots to be learned ...on land and sea! Hopefully they will figure it all out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I find it very odd statistically, that two vaccinated people in the same cabin would both test positive. This has been bugging me all night. I mean think about what this means in terms of vaccine efficacy.

1. How did these passengers show proof?

2. Which vaccine did they receive?

3. How long ago were they vaccinated?

Or they socialize together regularly and both spent the same amount of time with the likely unvaccinated covid infected individual and there’s not some higher level conspiracy. 

• Like 2

People are all worrying about cruises being 95-100 fully vaccinated. However do you realize that everyday you are walking around...dining...grocery shopping....whatever with a much much less percentage of vaccinated people surrounding you. Also while I hear everyone concerning about the "cruise ship" being fully vaccinated ....you do realized that you are going to some "port stops" that have very few vaccinated people. I just recently watched a video blog from a vendor/resident of Cozumel that stated the vaccine there  is very hard to come by and few in Cozumel are vaccinated.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Or they socialize together regularly and both spent the same amount of time with the likely unvaccinated covid infected individual and there’s not some higher level conspiracy. 

Statistically speaking, two breakout cases at the same time should raise some legitimate questions and concerns. Conspiracy? Is that what asking questions means nowadays?

12 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

So I wonder how they got infected if they're truly vaccinated....

My daughter, a doctor, says it's because it's not a vaccine in the true sense.  Meaning it wasn't really designed to prevent the infection but more to make the symptoms of the infection less severe.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Statistically speaking, two breakout cases at the same time should raise some legitimate questions and concerns. Conspiracy? Is that what asking questions means nowadays?

I don’t understand why people are surprised two people that are sharing a cabin both tested positive. They socialize together and spend a lot of time together. Again, breakthrough cases happen more often than we think, they’re just not detected because people often don’t get tested. 

• Like 4

We're on a August 27 ABC cruise on Equinox.  We'll get tested on the 25th then drive partway on the 26th and hit Ft Lauderdale early on the 27th.  I believe that test on the 25th will be within the required window.  But anything can happen on the drive down.

1 minute ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I don’t understand why people are surprised two people that are sharing a cabin both tested positive. They socialize together and spend a lot of time together. Again, breakthrough cases happen more often than we think, they’re just not detected because people often don’t get tested. 

Exactly....this cruise is like a lab study with all the testing they are doing. 

17 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

This was not a case of false positive. Both individuals were tested again and confirmed positive. False positives are relatively rare. False negatives are the true problem. They also test again by PCR to confirm a positive antigen test. AOS will do the same. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

Good to know makes me feel a lot better...thanks....

So if these two people are confirmed... and breakthrough cases are rare... seems really rare to have two in the same cabin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We're on a August 27 ABC cruise on Equinox.  We'll get tested on the 25th then drive partway on the 26th and hit Ft Lauderdale early on the 27th.  I believe that test on the 25th will be within the required window.  But anything can happen on the drive down.

If you are from the US getting on a cruise ship that departs the US I don't believe you are required to be tested if you are fully vaccinated and show proof.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My daughter, a doctor, says it's because it's not a vaccine in the true sense.  Meaning it wasn't really designed to prevent the infection but more to make the symptoms of the infection less severe.

A doctor says this?? It is a vaccine. A true vaccine. A real vaccine.

Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but can also be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.

The virus is SARS-CoV-2. The disease is COVID-19.  You can have the virus without the disease, which is what the vaccination does. 

Edited by paulh84
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

If you are from the US getting on a cruise ship that departs the US I don't believe you are required to be tested if you are fully vaccinated and show proof.

That's correct.  But the US is requiring a negative test for those entering the country.  Has this requirement been waived for cruise ship passengers?

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Exactly. That is why I don't understand why they test vaccinated people in the first place. IMHO that is pointless. The vaccines just make sure that whoever gets the virus doesn't get sick. Also, there is hardly a chance that vaccinated people spread the virus.

However, vaccinated people can still attract the virus when they come into contact with unvaccinated people; and they can still carry the virus with them for a short amount of time. It won't harm them, they won't develop symptoms and they most certainly won't end up needing medical care (unless they have an underlying condition that reinforces certain things). But... they do get tested positive for up to a few days. Just to be clear, that is not a false positive; it's a real positive and repeating the test leads to the same result: positive. But, medically, that is not a big deal since they don't get sick and don't spread the virus. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

That's correct.  But the US is requiring a negative test for those entering the country.  Has this requirement been waived for cruise ship passengers?

I believe the only people who need to be tested are those flying into the US.

• Thanks 1