Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

Here is a different take:

"the CDC also will no longer record mild or asymptomatic infections of those who were immunized as “COVID cases.” The only cases that now count as COVID cases for someone immunized with the COVID-19 vaccine are those that result in hospitalization or death."

I realize that cruising will be considered differently, but if these were cases on the land, they would not be counted based on the information we have to date (mild, asymptomatic).  That is assuming that they were vaccinated which I believe is a fair assumption barring fraud.

CDC Caught Cooking the Books on COVID Vaccines (mercola.com)

Edited by basenji56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Antropos said:

Exactly. That is why I don't understand why they test vaccinated people in the first place. IMHO that is pointless. The vaccines just make sure that whoever gets the virus doesn't get sick. Also, there is hardly a chance that vaccinated people spread the virus.

However, vaccinated people can still attract the virus when they come into contact with unvaccinated people; and they can still carry the virus with them for a short amount of time. It won't harm them, they won't develop symptoms and they most certainly won't end up needing medical care (unless they have an underlying condition that reinforces certain things). But... they do get tested positive for up to a few days. Just to be clear, that is not a false positive; it's a real positive and repeating the test leads to the same result: positive. But, medically, that is not a big deal since they don't get sick and don't spread the virus. 

Yes, this is exactly what she has explained to me.  It's the rationale for trying to keep vaxxed people separate from unvaxxed. 

Too much discussion of how they got the virus. Face reality. They tested positive.  How the cruise line handles it, could determine the future of cruising.  Nobody wanted anyone to get sick.  While we all could use a relaxing vacation after being home, this wasn’t it.  Sad for everyone involved.  Wishing those affected are ok.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was answering a question from a fellow poster to the best of my knowledge.  Not here to argue or change minds.  I'm here because I love cruising and want this to work.

Added to my post. I'm not arguing either, just addressing the total misinformation that was posted. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Added to my post. I'm not arguing either, just addressing the total misinformation that was posted. 

You posted a textbook definition of a virus.  And I said the mRNA vaccine is not a vaccine in the true sense.  That is not misinformation.  Different information is not misinformation.  It's why nobody should take anything they read in a discussion forum at face value.  It's best for one to do their own research.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bajathree said:

If you are from the US getting on a cruise ship that departs the US I don't believe you are required to be tested if you are fully vaccinated and show proof.

Stay tuned. RCI just announced yesterday that they will be testing all vaccinated passengers on their Adventure of the Seas sailings at the port. That, coupled with this situation on Millennium, leads me to strongly believe that testing prior to boarding will apply to ALL passengers leaving a US port. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So how did they get tested?  If you are vaccinated there shouldn’t be a need to test.  Was this the test that they perform in order to get off the ship?

My goodness, you need to understand that many countries around the world (including St Maarten) require the testing of those who are fully vaccinated.  As a simple example if you were to fly to Barbados for a vacation or a cruise you would need to be fully vaccinated, have a negative RT-PCR test done within 3 days of your flight, and get another test within hours of arrival on the island.  And then you would have to take another test before you could fly back to the USA (or most other countries).

Hank

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bajathree said:

If you are from the US getting on a cruise ship that departs the US I don't believe you are required to be tested if you are fully vaccinated and show proof.

I know that is the case... however... Royal just announced that on their Bahamas cruises... the ones where everyone over 16 (and in Aug 12) need to be vaccinated....is going to be testing everyone before they board the ship. So it is possible protocols will change in the US too..we will have to wait and see.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Just to set the record straight:

Dr. Joseph Mercola is the founder of Mercola.com. An osteopathic physician, best-selling author and recipient of multiple awards in the field of natural health, his primary vision is to change the modern health paradigm by providing people with a valuable resource to help them take control of their health.

12 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I believe the only people who need to be tested are those flying into the US.

I checked this on CDC yesterday, it's a bit ambiguous, possibly because the order was written when no cruise ships were sailing. The updated CSO may cover that, didn't have time to track down the updates.

Two people positive for Covid-19 on Millennium. With the length of the cruise, they could have been infected before getting on but still not testing  positive.

I am more interested in how many test positive in the next 2 weeks. This will show how well the precautions are working.

I wonder if we will ever know how many positives are recorded after everyone is back home

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bajathree said:

We shall see.  The powers that be are still butting heads.

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  So everyone on board has to get a test prior to coming home?  Sounds very cumbersome.  I guess these cruises are going to provide opportunity to iron out many kinks.  

This has been the case all along. Disembarkation tests are required to reenter certain countries, including the US.  

5 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Just to set the record straight:

Dr. Joseph Mercola is the founder of Mercola.com. An osteopathic physician, best-selling author and recipient of multiple awards in the field of natural health, his primary vision is to change the modern health paradigm by providing people with a valuable resource to help them take control of their health.

Here is the actual information from the CDC (which was referenced in the Mercola article):

COVID-19 Breakthrough Case Investigations and Reporting | CDC

As of May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported vaccine breakthrough cases to focus on identifying and investigating only hospitalized or fatal cases due to any cause. This shift will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance.

Edited by basenji56

10 hours ago, cantstopingcruising said:

As I understand it, if a fully vaccinated person is asymptomatic, they ARE contagious. 

That is not correct. It takes significant viral load to be contagious and none of those fully vaccinated have ever been diagnosed with enough load to infect someone else per the CDC.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  So everyone on board has to get a test prior to coming home?  Sounds very cumbersome.  I guess these cruises are going to provide opportunity to iron out many kinks.  

Thats not how it was explained to the TA's on the last call. Only those flying out of the US to a foreign country would need to be tested before entering back to the US and Celebrity would supply that testing on ship. However all this is fluid and can change.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

This has been the case all along. Disembarkation tests are required to reenter certain countries, including the US.  

Thank you.  I wasn't aware...or should say, haven't really been following that closely since cruises weren't happening in our neck of the woods.

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

My goodness, you need to understand that many countries around the world (including St Maarten) require the testing of those who are fully vaccinated.  As a simple example if you were to fly to Barbados for a vacation or a cruise you would need to be fully vaccinated, have a negative RT-PCR test done within 3 days of your flight, and get another test within hours of arrival on the island.  And then you would have to take another test before you could fly back to the USA (or most other countries).

Hank

Yep, I understand that.  I understand every country has it's own rules.  I was interested in why they were tested.

From the CDC:

"It is recommended that fully vaccinated people with no COVID-19-like symptoms and no known exposure should be exempted from routine screening testing programs, if feasible."

The CDC doesn't see the need for routine testing of fully vaccinated individuals.  If someone has a breakthrough case and they don't have any symptoms, they pose little threat to anyone.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, nocl said:

While data shows that the amount of virus shed is reduced by 75 to 80%. There is not an established measure of how much virus is needed for transmission.

One of the best studies on the subject looking at actual transmission was in the UK looking a Pfizer and AZ vaccines. That study looked at several thousand households and looked at transmission inside of the household. Comparing when the initial infection was from  a vaccinated individual vs an unvaccinated individual. What they found was that transmission still occured though vaccination reduced it by 40 to 50 percent.

So based upon that large study it is pretty clear that transmission can and will occur from some vaccinated infected individuals, though the amount of transmission is reduced by 40 to 50%

Keep in mind the UK chose to only administer one shot instead of the full sequence. One shot is not sufficient. Plus consider the other issue of efficacy with the AZ vaccine.

• Like 1

Just now, Georgia_Peaches said:

Different information is not misinformation.  It's why nobody should take anything they read in a discussion forum at face value.  It's best for one to do their own research.  

It's not different information. Vaccine, disease and virus are clearly defined and are distinctively different things. Vaccines provide immunity to disease. A virus is not a disease. 

• Like 5

A couple of  thoughts - could this be a part of testing the protocols? On a sailing from the US, would the captain announce positive tests? I don't think so, because I think that bit of info would have leaked out or been shared with the close contacts identified during contact tracing.

Two people in the same cabin having false positives seems like a reach, but not if their samples were run back to back - this is new territory for the people running the tests, and I would guess there is some pressure to turn large numbers of tests around before the ship returns to St. Maarten. OBVIOUSLY, that wasn't the case here, because the repeat tests were positive also, but something to consider in the future as other ships startup.

Finally, I found the article by the CC editor reassuring (yeah it was meant to be, if cruising folds they are out of jobs) - not much privacy with all those close circuit cameras, but the best contact tracing you could possibly have.

25 minutes ago, Antropos said:

Exactly. That is why I don't understand why they test vaccinated people in the first place. IMHO that is pointless. The vaccines just make sure that whoever gets the virus doesn't get sick. Also, there is hardly a chance that vaccinated people spread the virus.

However, vaccinated people can still attract the virus when they come into contact with unvaccinated people; and they can still carry the virus with them for a short amount of time. It won't harm them, they won't develop symptoms and they most certainly won't end up needing medical care (unless they have an underlying condition that reinforces certain things). But... they do get tested positive for up to a few days. Just to be clear, that is not a false positive; it's a real positive and repeating the test leads to the same result: positive. But, medically, that is not a big deal since they don't get sick and don't spread the virus. 

Frankly, what you or I think about requiring Covid testing here is irrelevant. That decision is up to the health authorities and the politicians of the countries the cruisers are entering. If the U.S requires me to have a test when I fly into the States for my next cruise, so be it. (I'm Canadian) If St. Maarten requires testing before entering the country to begin a cruise of re-entering at the end of the cruise, so be it. They have to be concerned about their own population first and if Covid testing is an inconvenience to some cruise passengers, tough.  I don't vote in the U.S. or in St. Maarten, I don't pay taxes in either place too, so my opinion about what St. Maarten or the U.S. requires is irrelevant. So unless you are a citizen of St. Maarten, your opinion about what they do is irrelevant also. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2