Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep, I understand that.  I understand every country has it's own rules.  I was interested in why they were tested.

From the CDC:

"It is recommended that fully vaccinated people with no COVID-19-like symptoms and no known exposure should be exempted from routine screening testing programs, if feasible."

The CDC doesn't see the need for routine testing of fully vaccinated individuals.  If someone has a breakthrough case and they don't have any symptoms, they pose little threat to anyone.

Routine screening is different from complying with the CDC requirement for all travelers returning from a foreign country to be tested.  If you look at the CDC comments on vaccinated passengers in the CSO they specifically state that compliance with this rule still applies. 

2 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Routine screening is different from complying with the CDC requirement for all travelers returning from a foreign country to be tested.  If you look at the CDC comments on vaccinated passengers in the CSO they specifically state that compliance with this rule still applies. 

I don't think the CSO has been updated to reflect all of the most recent testing guidance.

1 minute ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I don't think the CSO has been updated to reflect all of the most recent testing guidance.

Actually, the CSO in one of it’s latest updates speaks to when vaccinated passengers must be tested. No test is required to disembark except in compliance with the regulations of another country or when returning from a foreign country to the US. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

A link to CDC's interim guidance for fully vaccinated people. Fully vaccinated persons do not need to be tested before travel, domestic or international and do not have to be tested after exposure unless symptomatic. They do not have to quarantine after exposure. Everyone has to be tested before re-entering the US after international travel. A whole slew of governmental agencies and private businesses can require more stringent measures to use their services. Testing of asymptomatic vaccinated persons is discouraged (because even with a positive test the risk of transmission is low, particularly in asymptomatic people). The guidance might change for cruise ships, but CDC hasn't refined that yet - although they very well may depending on what happens going forward with protocols, testing and checking vaccine status.

• Like 3

The one "absolute" with COVID and the CDC is that whatever rules exist today will be changed tomorrow.  So now we have the first Celebrity cruise out of St Maarten where everyone was vaccinated and had to take multiple tests (including a PCR test before leaving home).  And what happens?  Two passengers have now tested positive for COVID while on the cruise.  This may well influence the CDC to demand that everyone onboard a ship be tested before disembarkation.  Keep in mind that under current rules if you fly to the USA (from anywhere outside the USA) you need a negative PCR Antigen test taken within 3 days.  I can see the CDC deciding to impose this same rule for cruise ship passengers.  Doing PCR Antigen tests onboard a ship should not be a big problem although it would be a minor hassle for passengers.   Antigen tests are relatively simple and can generate results within 15 minutes.

Hank

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

From the CDC:

"It is recommended that fully vaccinated people with no COVID-19-like symptoms and no known exposure should be exempted from routine screening testing programs, if feasible."

The CDC doesn't see the need for routine testing of fully vaccinated individuals.  If someone has a breakthrough case and they don't have any symptoms, they pose little threat to anyone.

This now also seems to be latest insight in the EU. Only hours ago the 27 EU countries together determined that starting July 1 fully vaccinated people will be allowed to travel between the EU countries without the need for testing or the need for quarantine.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

I find it very odd statistically that two vaccinated people in the same cabin would both test positive....

While “breakthroughs” are rare, especially of several family members (though, as mentioned, data is incomplete due to lack of testing and tracking asymptomatic cases), it can happen. Here’s an example of a family where a woman, her husband and father (who died) tested positive after being fully vaccinated. 

https://wgme.com/news/local/cdc-says-8-mainers-have-died-with-covid-19-after-being-fully-vaccinated

I would imagine they will want to find out if these cases onboard are from a variant, some of which are more contagious and more resistant to vaccines (though vaccines still appear to be highly effective against them).

Best wishes for all onboard!

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that under current rules if you fly to the USA (from anywhere outside the USA) you need a negative PCR Antigen test taken within 3 days.

Hank

So what happens if you test positive on a cruise ship?  I went to a resort in Mexico.  I took the antigen test before returning home.  If I had tested positive, the resort would allow me to stay there for two weeks.  But, how does that work on a cruise ship?  Do you stay on the ship in quarantine for two weeks?  Do they have a "Cruise Ship Ellis Island"?

1 hour ago, harkinmr said:

This was not a case of false positive. Both individuals were tested again and confirmed positive. False positives are relatively rare. False negatives are the true problem. They also test again by PCR to confirm a positive antigen test. AOS will do the same. 

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

Where did you read they tested positive a second time? The PCR results were not to be available until later today.

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The one "absolute" with COVID and the CDC is that whatever rules exist today will be changed tomorrow.  So now we have the first Celebrity cruise out of St Maarten where everyone was vaccinated and had to take multiple tests (including a PCR test before leaving home).  And what happens?  Two passengers have now tested positive for COVID while on the cruise.  This may well influence the CDC to demand that everyone onboard a ship be tested before disembarkation.  Keep in mind that under current rules if you fly to the USA (from anywhere outside the USA) you need a negative PCR Antigen test taken within 3 days.  I can see the CDC deciding to impose this same rule for cruise ship passengers.  Doing PCR Antigen tests onboard a ship should not be a big problem although it would be a minor hassle for passengers.   Antigen tests are relatively simple and can generate results within 15 minutes.

Hank

Yes, I see this coming as well.  The problem that hasn't been addressed is what happens to those passengers that test positive even though they are vaccinated?  I wonder...will they be allowed back into the US?  

13 hours ago, gerelmx said:

How could it happen if they were vaccinated and before arriving at St Marteen they had a negative PCR test?

And now what is going to happen to these two people will they be denied entry to St Marteen or the USA because the test is positive? Are they going to be confined in the cabin until the test is negative?

Well, I'm gonna come right out and say it. While breakthrough cases of Covid are possible in fully vaccinated people, they are exceedingly rare. In that the same couple travelling together BOTH came down with it, I must look askance at their vaccination proofs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Where did you read they tested positive a second time? The PCR results were not to be available until later today.

If you read the article you will see the reference. Passengers who were close contacts and quarantined were informed by the cruise line that a second test was completed and returned as positive.  This was also confirmed by a CC editor on board in an article she posted. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Statistically speaking, two breakout cases at the same time should raise some legitimate questions and concerns. Conspiracy? Is that what asking questions means nowadays?

What "breakout"? Asymptomatic means they are not sick. Most likely a tiny trace amount of the virus was detected Not enough to cause the disease.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

So what happens if you test positive on a cruise ship?  I went to a resort in Mexico.  I took the antigen test before returning home.  If I had tested positive, the resort would allow me to stay there for two weeks.  But, how does that work on a cruise ship?  Do you stay on the ship in quarantine for two weeks?  Do they have a "Cruise Ship Ellis Island"?

LOL. Good question. 

I guess we will find out tomorrow when the Millennium is scheduled to return to St. Maarten. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

...The problem that hasn't been addressed is what happens to those passengers that test positive even though they are vaccinated?  I wonder...will they be allowed back into the US?  

According to the eyewitness TPG article:

”I asked what will happen to the ill passengers when we reach St. Maarten in two days — we have a sea day tomorrow — and I was told that they will have to disembark, go straight to a hotel and stay there until they return negative test results.”

Edited by syesmar

Just now, harkinmr said:

If you read the article you will see the reference. Passengers who were close contacts and quarantined were informed by the cruise line that a second test was completed and returned as positive. 

True, but that's not the PCR test they also administered yesterday. They just repeated the first rapid test, so we need to hear about this third test which might show negative or an extremely small piece of virus that was enough to trigger the first two tests.

1 minute ago, Aloha 1 said:

What "breakout"? Asymptomatic means they are not sick. Most likely a tiny trace amount of the virus was detected Not enough to cause the disease.

So from the distance of the Villages, FL to the open Caribbean, you have determined that it is "Most likely a tiny trace amount?"

Based on what exactly?  Asymptomatic occurrences can have a full viral load (or not).

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, I see this coming as well.  The problem that hasn't been addressed is what happens to those passengers that test positive even though they are vaccinated?  I wonder...will they be allowed back into the US?  

Likely no. There are plenty of stories out there of people traveling to Mexico, etc., who have tested positive before returning home and had to remain in the country until testing negative. I think I read that positive cruise passengers returning to the US are to be quarantined.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Keep in mind the UK chose to only administer one shot instead of the full sequence. One shot is not sufficient. Plus consider the other issue of efficacy with the AZ vaccine.

Absolutely not correct. The UK - as many other countries in Europe - chose to stretch the time between the first and second shot to the maximum time possible in order to have more people vaccinated at least once. Not to only administer one shot 🙄

However, one is only considered as fully vaccinated 14 days after the second shot. Unless the Johnson vaccine is used which only requires one shot.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

”I asked what will happen to the ill passengers when we reach St. Maarten in two days — we have a sea day tomorrow — and I was told that they will have to disembark, go straight to a hotel and stay there until they return negative test results.”

Which would seem obvious.

But I wonder what the procedure will be with any close contacts.

29 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Just to set the record straight:

Dr. Joseph Mercola is the founder of Mercola.com. An osteopathic physician, best-selling author and recipient of multiple awards in the field of natural health, his primary vision is to change the modern health paradigm by providing people with a valuable resource to help them take control of their health.

He also has an F rating from the BBB and strongly advocates the use of hydroxychloroquine for Covid.  But, to each, his/her own.

https://quackwatch.org/11ind/mercola/

https://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/February-2012/Dr-Joseph-Mercola-Visionary-or-Quack/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, syesmar said:

Interesting.  Thank you.  What a nightmare!  

I think CDC should get involve into this from the origin where they got the vaccine.

It's very rare to have 2 breakthrough from 1 cabin.

Could that be the Vaccine problem where they got the vaccine?

May be they need to restart the vaccination from that area.

If I got the vaccine from where they got I should be worried.

Edited by verizon