Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

So from the distance of the Villages, FL to the open Caribbean, you have determined that it is "Most likely a tiny trace amount?"

Based on what exactly?  Asymptomatic occurrences can have a full viral load (or not).

Right. 

3 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

True, but that's not the PCR test they also administered yesterday. They just repeated the first rapid test, so we need to hear about this third test which might show negative or an extremely small piece of virus that was enough to trigger the first two tests.

Or not. 

Edited by harkinmr

10 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

Masks required OUTDOORS for fully vaccinated people (except when eating or drinking) seems to be proceeding backwards. CDC lifted those guidelines not too long ago. Not a good fit for a lot of people who want to enjoy their cruise vacation, myself included.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dwight1 said:

Two things this event suggests:

1. Cruises need 100% vaccinated passengers, sorry Fl and Tx Govs,

Don’t lump Texas in with Florida.  Different laws. 
Both Carnival and  Royal have announced Galveston departure vaccination requirements to start. 

(Celebrity does not sail from Galveston, but many wish it did). 

Edited by BSocial

9 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

So from the distance of the Villages, FL to the open Caribbean, you have determined that it is "Most likely a tiny trace amount?"

Based on what exactly?  Asymptomatic occurrences can have a full viral load (or not).

Per CDC, not in vaccinated people. And it has been documented that a very tiny trace amount of live OR dead virus can trigger a positive test result. The two passengers in question, assuming they were indeed vaccinated, present as asymptomatic. They are not sick with Covid but some amount of SARS-Cov-2 was detected.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

What "breakout"? Asymptomatic means they are not sick. Most likely a tiny trace amount of the virus was detected Not enough to cause the disease.

A "breakout case" is when a fully vaccinated individual tests positive for Covid 19. It does not refer to symptoms.

Just now, coffeebean said:

Masks required OUTDOORS for fully vaccinated people (except when eating or drinking) seems to be proceeding backwards. CDC lifted those guidelines not too long ago. Not a good fit for a lot of people who want to enjoy their cruise vacation, myself included.

Sadly, as much as I want to get back on the ocean, I'm not willing to go back to masking and social distancing in order to do it.  We've been back to "normal" for a while now and I just can't fathom going backwards.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Absolutely not correct. The UK - as many other countries in Europe - chose to stretch the time between the first and second shot to the maximum time possible in order to have more people vaccinated at least once. Not to only administer one shot 🙄

However, one is only considered as fully vaccinated 14 days after the second shot. Unless the Johnson vaccine is used which only requires one shot.

2 minutes ago, larrywizzit said:

A "breakout case" is when a fully vaccinated individual tests positive for Covid 19. It does not refer to symptoms.

No, that's a "breakthrough" case. breakout means a large number of people have come down with the disease.

As to the UK, yes you are correct but I believe the study previously referenced was conducted before a majority had received the second shot.

Edited by Aloha 1

58 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Too much discussion of how they got the virus. Face reality. They tested positive.  How the cruise line handles it, could determine the future of cruising.  Nobody wanted anyone to get sick.  While we all could use a relaxing vacation after being home, this wasn’t it.  Sad for everyone involved.  Wishing those affected are ok.  

This! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

People are all worrying about cruises being 95-100 fully vaccinated. However do you realize that everyday you are walking around...dining...grocery shopping....whatever with a much much less percentage of vaccinated people surrounding you. Also while I hear everyone concerning about the "cruise ship" being fully vaccinated ....you do realized that you are going to some "port stops" that have very few vaccinated people. I just recently watched a video blog from a vendor/resident of Cozumel that stated the vaccine there  is very hard to come by and few in Cozumel are vaccinated.

This! How many people who go ashore on their own will pick up the virus in port? That’s my concern. One cruise that we were looking at had Cozumel, Costa Maya and Roatan all of whom are very low on the vaccine and was not doing well with their COVID numbers. Also, very true about going around to local places. Fortunately for us masks are still required here inside of any business but that changes next week when our state opens back up. I have read that many local businesses are still going to require mask usage regardless inside. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Per CDC, not in vaccinated people. And it has been documented that a very tiny trace amount of live OR dead virus can trigger a positive test result. The two passengers in question, assuming they were indeed vaccinated, present as asymptomatic. They are not sick with Covid but some amount of SARS-Cov-2 was detected.

Then that may not be good news for the other 598 passengers on board as any number of them could also test positive if the testing is really that sensitive or the rate of asymptomatic infection is that high. It could also mean that these two people are in fact more infected than just a trace amount and could continue to test positive, or perhaps the vaccines they received were faulty for some reason, or they were not actually vaccinated. I’m sure we will find out soon enough. 

39 minutes ago, larrywizzit said:

Well, I'm gonna come right out and say it. While breakthrough cases of Covid are possible in fully vaccinated people, they are exceedingly rare. In that the same couple travelling together BOTH came down with it, I must look askance at their vaccination proofs.

This...and if vaccinated, I'm guessing the J&J shot...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

It could also mean that these two people are in fact more infected than just a trace amount and could continue to test positive, or perhaps the vaccines they received were faulty for some reason, or they were not actually vaccinated. I’m sure we will find out soon enough. 

Hopefully they are from a state that maintains a vaccine database where all that information (including and especially were they truly vaxxed) is accessible. 

• Thanks 1

Everyone is forgetting the vaccine helps everyone, however in immune compromised individuals, the immune response is much weaker and won’t provide as much protection.   This includes cancer patients, those with transplants, and those on immune suppressing drugs for Arthritis, Psoriasis and a number of other conditions.    If the two passengers were indeed vaccinated, they may have had one of those conditions.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

I'm amused at the "how can this happen?" comments. 

These are not traditional vaccines. They are not vaccines at all. These drugs protect you and only you from symptoms. They don't prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. They don't protect anyone around you. Your chances of getting the virus are no different if you are vaccinated or not. The only thing that changes is your immune system reaction to it. 

This is absolutely not true.

• Like 16

35 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

They are not vaccines at all. These drugs protect you and only you from symptoms. They don't prevent you from getting or spreading the virus. They don't protect anyone around you. Your chances of getting the virus are no different if you are vaccinated or not. The only thing that changes is your immune system reaction to it.

This describes all vaccines. Vaccines give your immune system something to process and remember so if you are ever exposed to the real deal, it's ready and can fend off the bug.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Hopefully they are from a state that maintains a vaccine database where all that information (including and especially were they truly vaxxed) is accessible. 

Dutch media reporting that two passengers are Dutch nationals. Not known where they booked though

3 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

This is absolutely not true.

These kind of uninformed comments I have discovered are best ignored, although I know how frustrating they can be. Sometimes challenging them gives more “air time” than is deserved. 

• Like 7