Specialty Dining Prices

dfish

12 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Hard to say. IMO it is not really a sevice charge, just an 18% increase. I seriously doubt that 18% is going to the cooks, wait staff, etc. 

if it is not a service charge the our discount will apply to the total check (meal)

36 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

The only difference is with a wine package you are talking a few bottles, but the specialty dinning you are talking per meal...

Not say anything negative.. but if what you say is true... it changes the concept of  service charge for the industry to be more in line with land based retailers and banks and ....

I don’t see the difference you buy the bottles and any the service fee.  You by a meal and pay the meal.  The bottles may last longer but the fee is higher  

We always tipped in the specialty restaurants so now we just have to remember not to.  

33 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

True only if it in fact trickles down! js

Well, I can state for certainty the beverage service charge trickles down to the staff.  I had a nice chat with one of the staff.  It goes into a pool and is divided but prorated based a bit on production and compliments from passengers.

I see NO reason why the service charge wouldn’t to to the specialty dining staff.  It’s actually a position staff aspire to but they miss out on the HSC so who knows?  You might see better service 🤞 

32 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Hard to say. IMO it is not really a sevice charge, just an 18% increase. I seriously doubt that 18% is going to the cooks, wait staff, etc. 

Well, we will agree to disagree.  It it is a service charge, it goes to the staff and I don’t begrudge that at all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I have been around too long, I remember that Canaletto was free when it first started.  I think you will continue to see everything go up as CCL has a big hole to dig out of.

I remember when...

At the PC- We always took advantage of the $10 charge that they offered only for the first night. That was probably around 2004 or 05. Happy to bring cash, We always tipped well over what we paid for the cost of the meal. It's true as well that some didn't tip at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zelker said:

I just realized that the increased price of my chocolate dipped strawberries went up 18% ... and weren't "specialty food items" (i.e., not on the room service menu) included in the new policy that discussed specialty dining service charges?  

And they've definitely raised the price of a bottle of vodka to be delivered to the stateroom a LOT (they already had a service charge so they just hiked the price by as much as double).

We have always ordered whiskey for our stateroom.  It was a bit inflated, but worth it for the convenience.  It seems by the new pricing that they really don't want people to order for delivery to the room.  The increase is really notable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

@kazu you are more trusting than I 

I hope you are right.

I am not as trusting as you think 😉  But I have been on longer cruises where you get to chat with staff and I found out a bit about the bar service charge and HSC.  It does go to the staff, for sure.

If you open up a crew contact, it’s clearly spelled out too.  I forget the link, but I have read it.

Right now I am a cynic with everything happening with our cruise but as to the service charges for the crew, I have complete trust in that.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Alphen said:

Have not seen any listing of the "Night at the Librije", which used to be on Eurodam and Rotterdam VI!

My traveling companion and I booked this "special night" on the Eurodam to celebrate a milestone birthday for me.  It was a most disappointing experience.  Black dinnerware; black uniforms on the servers; I learned what "deconstructed cuisine" meant.  

In retrospect, I would have more enjoyed a dinner at Dive-in more than I did with that experience.  

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know the percentage of cruisers that typically pay zero or pay fifty percent compared to those who pay full freight.    HAL has these numbers-or at least they should.

No doubt they will be looking at any change to those stats going forward.   If the demand is there, the prices will stick.  If not, they will run more and more 'specials' to take up any slack.

My guess on HAL would be the majority of diners are gratis or 50 percent.  

Edited by iancal

10 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I do have to wonder if they are in danger of pricing themselves out of the market.  Our experience in Pinnacle is always hit or miss.  Sometimes the meal is great, sometimes not so much.  We have actually had more consistent food in Canaletto (except for the raw chicken parmigiana on the Maasdam).  We get two for free and we will certainly do those but not sure about paying $50 for the two of us and three stars and below it would be $100 a couple.

I agree. I’m 3 star. There’s a very good chance we won’t be returning if PG has gone up to $46. It’s just not worth it to us.

Our last visit was on PDam on the last night it ran. It was only memorable because of the ambiance. The food just wasn’t that good, and certainly not the level of all the other PGs we have dined in. It could be it wasn’t that good as it WAS the last night of the final cruise.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, iancal said:

My guess on HAL would be the majority of diners are gratis or 50 percent.  

We don't pay to dine, except for tips. In addition to what might be included in the fare we book, our TA gives us each a Signature Dining Package. Sometimes on a 7-night cruise we have dined twice in Pinnacle Grill and twice in Canaletto.

On 6/15/2021 at 5:37 PM, zelker said:

IIRC, someone posted recently that they were going to start applying an 18% service charge to specialty dining.  If you add 18% to the former pricing, these new prices reflect that, right?  Or is there 18% on TOP of these new prices?  😳

The prices OP posted -

• Canaletto     $22.40
  • Pinnacle Grill     $46.00
  • Sel de Mar (pop up)   $57.80
  • Tamarind     $34.20

So adding 18% to old pricing comes out to -

• Canaletto $19 + 18% = $22.40
  • PG   $39 + 18% = $46.00
  • Sel de Mer   $49 + 18% = $57.80
  • Tamarind  THIS one stumps me - I thought it was $25 which should then make it $29.50 according to my theory but this reflects a 37% increase ... maybe someone in Accounting can't do math 🙄

Good catch!

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My traveling companion and I booked this "special night" on the Eurodam to celebrate a milestone birthday for me.  It was a most disappointing experience.  Black dinnerware; black uniforms on the servers; I learned what "deconstructed cuisine" meant.  

In retrospect, I would have more enjoyed a dinner at Dive-in more than I did with that experience.  

Indeed not for everyone, it reflects a bit what 3 star Michelin dining in Jonnie Boer's restaurant is, but not everyone has the same taste.

3 hours ago, tampacruiser said:

Is there a way to book dining in advance and apply onboard credit to pay.   I have amassed a bunch of credit with 2 cancellations and would like to book my dining in advance and use those credits?

Nope.  They hold you to using and booking it onboard

On 6/16/2021 at 8:32 AM, DaveOKC said:

They need to be careful not to price themselves out of the market.  Pinnacle dinner is very good but IMO not worth the high current price, especially with the new SC added.  You have to consider that you are paying for a MDR dinner in your fare on top of that (that you skip).

Now, once you are 4 or 5 Star, the value changes alot given the discount.

What is the 5* discount for these restaurants?

2 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

What is the 5* discount for these restaurants?

5 Stars get 50% off specialty dining, just like 4 Stars do.  Thats AFTER the 2 free Pinnacle dinners each 5 Star gets per cruise.

Edited by DaveOKC

On 6/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, AncientWanderer said:

It is just a different menu that features a lot of seafood and also a few non-seafood choices -- all with a continental preparation style.  Sel de Mer is one of our favorites.

It is very good, but we found that we simply could not eat that much food; and we left too much behind.  (Is this part of the aging process???)

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

5 Stars get 50% off specialty dining, just like 4 Stars do.  Thats AFTER the 2 free Pinnacle dinners each 5 Star gets per cruise.

So, between them, a couple get four free Pinnacle dinners?

Really, I thought both first two guest in stateroom received benefits of highest star rating. On the Pri

sendam in 2019 my sister (2 star) received free laundry also.  l already promised her two compted P. dinners. Gosh, I better not be so fast sharing assumptions.

• Like 1