Alaska in October

Acruisefiend

For all those cruising Alaska in October, I thought I’d start a thread to gather info on what to expect during this uncommon month. 

So far my expectations are:

1. It is more likely to rain than not, Ketchikan having the most rainfall likely of our stops.

2. There is a small chance of snow

3. Many of the excursions run a risk of getting canceled due to weather 

4. We aren’t likely to see bears

5. Whales and other sea life will still be around, but not nearly in the numbers they usually are

6. The sea could be stormy and rough, this will likely make the first sea day a very bumpy ride.

7. It’s possible we hit a bad storm resulting in canceled port stops 

8. General temps will be between slightly above freezing to high 40s. 

9. Some of the tourist attractions will be closed already 

The good points:

1. No crowds, we are likely to be the only ship in each stop

2. Hiking/walking around and eating is a go in all weather 

3. We will get to see some very beautiful fall scenery and colors

4. Can experience the towns in their off season

Please feel free to add to this and/or correct it!

less daylight hours.  

chance of very windy days while in port

lots of fog

I wouldn't consider an Oct trip. Wouldn't do Sept for that matter.

My Alaska trips were usually in Aug due to work constraints, and even then the weather was often pretty rainy and windy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

Fewer insects?

Good one!

27 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

less daylight hours.  

chance of very windy days while in port

lots of fog

I wouldn't consider an Oct trip. Wouldn't do Sept for that matter.

My Alaska trips were usually in Aug due to work constraints, and even then the weather was often pretty rainy and windy.

I forgot daylight hours! Should be about 10 hours of daylight.

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Cheaper cruise price. End of season clearance deals in ports and ship gift shop.

Will anything even be open in the ports?

This whole thing sounds like a Level 3 excursion....only for the truly most fit and adventurous. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acruisefiend said:

Good point, don’t forget your cold weather gear. Mine has been successfully tested working all day in single digits for its anti freezing properties! 

we dont have any cold weather gear, been living in los angeles for the past 52 years. even a free cruise wouldnt induce me to go to alaska in late fall.

only positive thing is early darkness and ability to see the aurora borealis.

i'll admit though i'm a wuss. we were on the getaway and tried the ice bar (17 degrees) and after about 7minutes, i was outta there. brrr. oct would be a great time to go to the carribbean

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, complawyer said:

we dont have any cold weather gear, been living in los angeles for the past 52 years. even a free cruise wouldnt induce me to go to alaska in late fall.

only positive thing is early darkness and ability to see the aurora borealis.

i'll admit though i'm a wuss. we were on the getaway and tried the ice bar (17 degrees) and after about 7minutes, i was outta there. brrr. oct would be a great time to go to the carribbean

I don’t love the cold either, but the right gear honestly makes all the difference. Besides 30s and 40s are waaay different than 17! And just right for a hot tub.

Isnt oct hurricane season for the Caribbean?

• Like 1

Most shops close down at the end of September due to fewer and fewer ships.  If NCL sails into October, I suspect most of the shops to be boarded up.  Just not fiscally attractive for the shop owners.  Definitely the worst possible sailing experience but at the end of the day, it's still an Alaskan cruise!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Acruisefiend said:

the right gear honestly makes all the difference.

Yes it does. Lots of examples, but I’ll give this one. Some years ago, prior to an Alaska cruise in late August, we took the boat tour of Kenai Fjords Nat’l Park out of Seward. We had our parkas on (we’d brought them for the cruise), which enabled us to be out on deck for that fabulous tour:  Just about everyone else was huddled inside the stuffy main cabin.  If you are going to Alaska, bring the right gear!  😊

59 minutes ago, Acruisefiend said:

I don’t love the cold either, but the right gear honestly makes all the difference. Besides 30s and 40s are waaay different than 17! And just right for a hot tub.

Isnt oct hurricane season for the Caribbean?

season is from june thru nov. i'd take my chances on a carribbean cruise during those months, rather than freeze. AND (this is a big and) after living in so cal for over 50 years, i dont have any cold weather gear, and it seems like a waste just to buy some for a 7 day cruise. we did take the ncl pearl to alaska in july of 2010, and i will agree that it's an amazing journey, not for oct

I did a mid September cruise in 2019.  The locals were commenting that they usually have at least a little snow by then, and snow was expected the following week.  So October weather might not be great (if you need cold weather stuff, try your local thrift shop - way cheaper than buying new!).  But there were still bears to see at icy straight point😁

Did a land tour first and the "tourist" places were closing right behind us. Lots of places closed or closing in the ports so hard to say what it will be like - will vendors stick around until the last ship has docked or will they not even bother opening up in the first place?

• Like 1

Many years ago we did the last cruise that summer immediately after the North American schools started in early September.

Shops were closing at all ports we were able to get into.   Most of the summer workers were ready to "evacuate" to the sun for the winter.   Days were "short" and "cold".

I certainly wouldn't want to go in October.

The worst thing was that they had the stabilizers out for 48 hours while we missed Ketchikan and ran before a Force 11!!

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

dont have any cold weather gear, and it seems like a waste just to buy some for a 7 day cruise.  

Certainty not reasonable to buy all that gear for one week.  

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

The worst thing was that they had the stabilizers out for 48 hours while we missed Ketchikan and ran before a Force 11!!

Missing the ports and hitting a crazy storm are my biggest concerns. And it definitely seems to be a possibility. This cruise will be an adventure for sure!

6 hours ago, julig22 said:

But there were still bears to see at icy straight point😁

Did a land tour first and the "tourist" places were closing right behind us. Lots of places closed or closing in the ports so hard to say what it will be like - will vendors stick around until the last ship has docked or will they not even bother opening up in the first place?

Excited to hear bears are back on the possible table! 

Will be interesting to see what is open, the ship has excursions running as well as some other websites, so I'm guessing one or two will still be running.

And Juneau is open year round of course. 

The good news is, everyone I've spoken to who has been to Alaska during the fall or winter (but not on a cruise) has loved it. 

Just my thoughts. We have already been on two Alaskan cruises but we are going on b2b cruises this October on the Encore . The ship is more important to us than the ports so weather is no big deal if we don't get off the ship and the Encore has a lot of places to look out as the ship cruises. That being said if it was our first cruise to Alaska wouldn't go in October. The whale watching company we have really enjoyed in Icy Strait Point closes late September but the crab shack we like in Juneau will probably still be open at least the first cruise we are on. 

• Like 1

We have booked NAmsterdam  Sept. 25- Oct 2 2021 . We have taken this cruise before on the same ship late Aug to Early Sept. weather was mixed, rain, fog, sunny days , but certainly not freezing. Brought rain gear and lots of layers ; we were fine. This was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable cruises we’ve ever taken ( 260 night at sea) so we chose it as our first one this year. I’m reading that shops will be closed and weather very cold. I am curious to hear from others who may have cruised at this time of year. Will all shops be closed? Will I need to bring down jacket? Seems to me that considering the 15 month lack of business in ports that shops would more likely be open. Please advise. 
* also hoping HAL requires vaccinations for this cruise out of Seattle . 

We sailed Alaska one year in mid September ... quite a few years ago, still loved it - key: pack & dress in layers for wet weather.  Gloves, hats & scarfs might not be needed - roll it up & bring them, or else, you will be trying to find them in the local shops (some began closing & doing final, end of season sales, etc.)  Many of the seasonal employees in towns are part-time residents that spent their winters elsewhere - best to check local sources now to see what the local/small business situations are like in these ports - including shorex options.  

By late September and early October, weather/temperature & local options could be much more challenging - including the odds of snow & wind-driven freezing rain.  Just plan accordingly - this isn't about going to the tropical Caribbean, really and oh, find room for a good pair of binoculars and tele-photo digital camera.  

• Like 2

Coastal cruising all of the above - cold - wind blown adventures - shops close (hey buy one get

one - heck take three) - limited receding day light - rain snow doom of night potential - - -

NOW move that to the Alaska interior - Alaska Railway operating its Winter schedule limited

once a week trains no fancy bi-level scenic cars - airline flight schedules fewer non-stop flights

to the lower 48 add a connection leg in here somewhere - - -

Perhaps taxi service by dog sled !  LOL !

Upon resumption of service in the late Spring everything in slow motion start up mode.

Like really like cruising - think about the first of the season cruises -

ship positioning cruises - board in California San Diego - Los Angeles - San Francisco

and cruise north with port calls at more ports and then add on a season starter in Alaska.

These are not fair weather Mediterranean Caribbean cruises -

expect some fall out on your cruise parade !

When rolling out that red carpet beware of it being pulled from under a foot -

it maybe a bumpy ride if you didn't get enough from the California amusement parks. 

On 6/18/2021 at 3:16 PM, sfaaa said:

Cheaper cruise price. End of season clearance deals in ports and ship gift shop.

We have sailed there in September a couple of times.  The weather is cool, but still nice, but the main thing to watch for are the end of the season sales.  Some stores will already be closed for the year by October, but the ones that are open will be selling things at or below cost.  Be sure to confirm those "must see" excursions, though, because many of them may be closed by October, also.

On 6/18/2021 at 8:08 PM, Acruisefiend said:

For all those cruising Alaska in October, I thought I’d start a thread to gather info on what to expect during this uncommon month. 

So far my expectations are:

1. It is more likely to rain than not, Ketchikan having the most rainfall likely of our stops.

2. There is a small chance of snow

3. Many of the excursions run a risk of getting canceled due to weather 

4. We aren’t likely to see bears

5. Whales and other sea life will still be around, but not nearly in the numbers they usually are

6. The sea could be stormy and rough, this will likely make the first sea day a very bumpy ride.

7. It’s possible we hit a bad storm resulting in canceled port stops 

8. General temps will be between slightly above freezing to high 40s. 

9. Some of the tourist attractions will be closed already 

The good points:

1. No crowds, we are likely to be the only ship in each stop

2. Hiking/walking around and eating is a go in all weather 

3. We will get to see some very beautiful fall scenery and colors

4. Can experience the towns in their off season

Please feel free to add to this and/or correct it!

😂 Mostly positives when you live in the UK and are used to the winter cold, fog and rain.

• Like 1

We're booked in October as a matter of fact, but then I'm from Cleveland. It'll be cold here anyways.

After our cruise got canceled out of the Dominican Republic,  we decided to check off a bucket list cruise. It's the only month we can cruise this year with our jobs. 

I can't wait, even if we get to stay on the ship and enjoy the spa balconies we have. 

We are booked to whale watch excursion. It'll be fun no matter what. So don't start telling me I shouldn't do it because whales are migrating, we've already done our homework. 

The only spoiler on the cruise is Icy Strait... a ship day for us.

Cleveland- you will love this cruise! This will be our second on N. Amsterdam and the same itinerary through Alaska. One of only a few cruises I could do more than once. It’s different every time. The ship is marvelous