Court rules for Florida in cruise case, grants injunction stopping CDC order...

bajathree

As a non-American, is this ruling directly connected to the cruises lines not being allowed to ask for Covid passports? I thought the covid passport requirement was a cruise line requirement, not a CDC requirement?

Thanks in advance.

8 minutes ago, mikkelhansen said:

As a non-American, is this ruling directly connected to the cruises lines not being allowed to ask for Covid passports? I thought the covid passport requirement was a cruise line requirement, not a CDC requirement?

Thanks in advance.

Right now I think it will be anyone’s guess as to how this will change cruises from Florida. I still “think” the cruise lines can decide how they want to proceed and if that’s the current 95/5 % then things will remain the same but I guess we will see what happens. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Right now I think it will be anyone’s guess as to how this will change cruises from Florida. I still “think” the cruise lines can decide how they want to proceed and if that’s the current 95/5 % then things will remain the same but I guess we will see what happens. 

It's a wait and see but I think a lot will be changing in July.

13 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

I don't know what the cruise lines will do, but I sure don't want to go on a ship with unvaccinated people

You’ll probably have to stay off cruise ship for now, maybe forever if you don’t change your mind. While I understand your sentiment, I must say I’d be at least as concerned about cruising with vaccinated people with very weak immune systems…they likely did not develop a decent response to the vaccine, yet they are categorized as vaccinated, some may feel overconfident due to the vaccine, and they have still conditions that make them highly vulnerable to serious illness….to me that is scarier than cruising with a young, healthy person with natural immunity from prior infection who Ia low risk for serious illness.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

This is awesome! At least celebrity will make it as expense, uncomfortable and difficult as possible if you don’t voluntarily show proof of vaccination. 

• Like 27

The balls in Celebrity’s court. They have the “Cruise With Confidence” promotion. Cancel up to 48 hours without any penalty. Take the FCC and apply it towards a ship not sailing from Florida. 

Cancel up to 48 Hours Before you Sail

You have up to 48 hours before you sail to cancel and receive 100% Future Cruise Credit to use by April 30, 2022 toward any sailing through September 30, 2022.
  • For cancelation within any phase of penalty, refunds will be issued as Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the full cruise fare amount.  
  • In order to receive 100% FCC, your booking must be paid in full.
  • For cancelation outside of penalty, your refund will be issued to the original form of payment.
  • Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings: If canceled outside of penalty, the full deposit amount will be returned (without penalty) in the form of an FCC. If canceled within any phase of penalty, the cruise fare including full deposit (without penalty) will be issued as an FCC.
  • Bookings made with FCCs from suspended sailings will also benefit from the new Cruise With Confidence policy.

• Like 2

CDC was doing nothing even Del Rio praised Florida Gov. for "bringing them to the table"

Excellent progress during this the slow season for Florida cruising.  Need to get traditional summer hot beds of cruising open like Canada, NY and NJ!  Why are they not even trying to start up!  Can't really bash Florida when at least they want to cruise!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

i'm not so sure that it's good news for the Florida cruise industry.  I think (and just saw results of a poll today that confirmed) that the majority of Americans are in favor of vaccines and in favor of requiring vaccinations in certain circumstances (like going back to work in person).  I wouldn't be surprised if many passengers cancel already booked cruises from Florida.  There are many ports with low levels of vaccination because they have not been able to get sufficient supplies of vaccines to vaccinate their residents.  Given the vaccination and testing requirements for so many ports, I can't imagine them throwing out the welcome mat for ships with who knows how many unvaccinated passengers.  

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

i'm not so sure that it's good news for the Florida cruise industry.  I think (and just saw results of a poll today that confirmed) that the majority of Americans are in favor of vaccines and in favor of requiring vaccinations in certain circumstances (like going back to work in person).  I wouldn't be surprised if many passengers cancel already booked cruises from Florida.  There are many ports with low levels of vaccination because they have not been able to get sufficient supplies of vaccines to vaccinate their residents.  Given the vaccination and testing requirements for so many ports, I can't imagine them throwing out the welcome mat for ships with who knows how many unvaccinated passengers.  

Agree. This may backfire on some. Grand Cayman is closed until at least early next year. Other ports may now do the same. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Great news for Florida, bad news for those who said DeSantis had no chance in h*** of winning this case. 😂

I guess all those keyboard lawyers actually didn't know what they were talking about, go figure.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

I agree. It will take time to see how this shakes out, but I fail to see any particular gain for the cruise industry or the residents of Florida.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

.  I think (and just saw results of a poll today that confirmed) that the majority of Americans are in favor of vaccines and in favor of requiring vaccinations in certain circumstances (like going back to work in person).  

Can you please cite the source of this poll? The only survey I’ve seen floating around was conducted using a small number of cruise enthusiasts (many with more than 10 cruises). I’ve seen no polls that can be generalized to the “American population”. You may be correct, but I have not seen any surveys which confirm this assertation. I’d love to read the poll You reference.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The State sued and the State won. That's good news.

Also, it means the CSO is toast and the cruise lines can resume operations. This is awesome and a total win for my boy DeSantis.

I'm confused. You make it sound like the cruise lines weren't planning on resuming operations out of Florida. I'm booked on several cruises out of Florida and Edge goes out in a few weeks. Of course, since DeSantis is pro-business, he'll be happy to let the industry decide how they want to operate, now that the pesky CDC is out of the way, right? And if Celebrity decides that minimizing the potential for outbreaks for the majority of their customers means restricting how many unvaccinated customers they'll accommodate, he'll be good with that too, right? It's just good business.

• Like 12

Does not seem like a good idea.  I have eight cruises booked out of Florida, and if it's going to be a free-for-all, of non-vaccinated passengers, I will cancel all eight cruises.  I'm okay with the 95% vaccinated, which leaves room for a few kids, but more than that is a no-go for me.  Testing the non-vaccinated is not a great alternative.

Kel

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1