Hundreds of Empty Cabins July 3rd Vista Sailing

Adventure out of nassau went with about 30%. If there was a big sale too many would price match and carnival would have to give even more obc. I think they are already cutting rates to certain targeted people. Not sure how they pick who to target with lower prices.

Lots would jump on lower prices but they may be ok to resume with much lower capacity.

I'm reading with adventure having to make reservations for buffet. Even at much lower capacity. 

• Like 1

Cruise lines are only getting about 25-30 percent capacity on recent sailings. It's not likely to change anytime soon. Most people want to wait for all the covid issues to go away before they invest the time and money to go on a cruise vacation.

Too many unknowns that are going to be there right up to your sailing date. Will the cruise get cancelled? Which ship will you actually be on? What ports will you end up going to?

I will wait it out, probably the Spring of next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Too many unknowns that are going to be there right up to your sailing date. Will the cruise get cancelled? Which ship will you actually be on? What ports will you end up going to?

Plus about 40% of Texas is vaccinated, carnival is left with a lot less potential customers at the moment. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Most people want to wait for all the Covid issues to go away

before they invest the time and money to go on a cruise vacation.

Too many unknowns that are going to be there

right up to your sailing date!

Will the cruise get cancelled?

Which ship will you actually be on?

What ports will you end up going to?

You couldn't have said it better!

Mask-up y'all.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisingbandmom said:

Just did a mock booking and there are hundreds of empty cabins on this sailing that is 11 days away.  Do you think there will be a last minute sail or will Carnival not fill this like they normally do since it is the first sailing?

I doubt last minute public sales. They won't sail at full capacity or close to it. They are keeping prices high (for the most part) and offering an assortment of cabins for people who want a particular kind of cabin. Maybe some targeted last minute bargains, to get to targeted capacity.

Final payment was yesterday.  Unfilled group booking slots have probably just been released by travel agencies.

Prices are high.  I don't normally do summer cruises because more kids on the ship, and they cost more during the summer.  I'm used to doing 1300-1600 for a window room for western caribbean and 1600-1800 for the same for eastern caribbean.  Heck, April 2020 I had a 8 day eastern caribbean balcony for 1800.  I had to rebook it 4 times, and each time it went up in price a little and downgraded itinerary or room-  Now its a 7 day Western Caribbean cove balcony at $2200, and that switch to cove was limited/decent upgrade offer, because it had been just a window room at ~2125 before that.

* prices for 2 with gratuity and insurance

July 3rd is in many ways a test cruise, being the 1st cruise for Carnival from US waters since this mess started.  Uncertainty and vaccine requirements potentially blocking people with young kids aren't helping to fill those expensive rooms.

Edited by arkaine23

I think that the reality of people returning to cruising is going to be much slower than many predict. Sure, we all want to get back to cruising, but most people mean after it is well re-established and closer to normal. Required Vaccinations, Covid testing coming and going, masks still required in some places and the possibility of being stuck in a outbreak on a ship, no matter how likely. 

The experience should be great for those willing to sail the first few cruises though. I was on the last cruise out of Port Canaveral in March 2020 and I am guessing it was around 30% capacity and the cruise was the best I have had.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I was surprised at how many available cabins for my August Mardi Gras cruise.  Usually all of the lido cabins are taken and it's hard to get one so close to the cruise day.

Your cruise is the last week for many families to get away before the kids have to go back to school and of course all of these families had to cancel because of the current vaccination policy.  And then you have people that cancelled the previous two weeks for other reasons. 😉

43 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

It looks like they are keeping the capacity down by pricing.  Appears to be about $2400 for a couple in an interior room.  That's crazy high.

Yep. they aren't trying to sell out.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

It looks like they are keeping the capacity down by pricing.  Appears to be about $2400 for a couple in an interior room.  That's crazy high.

2183 for deck 6 interior.  And you also have to fly into Houston, which isn't cheap and then get to Galveston, which is either 40 or 70 miles away depending upon which airport you fly into.