Great Stirrup Cay

On our planned (fingers crossed) Dec 2021 cruise, Miami - Miami on RSSC Splendor, they have changed the first port from Dominican Republic to Great Stirrup Cay. Has anyone been there on Regent? Are food and alcoholic beverages included? Is the zip line free?

Any information would be helpful.

2 minutes ago, dvalentine823 said:

On our planned (fingers crossed) Dec 2021 cruise, Miami - Miami on RSSC Splendor, they have changed the first port from Dominican Republic to Great Stirrup Cay. Has anyone been there on Regent? Are food and alcoholic beverages included? Is the zip line free?

We are on a December cruise… same changes. Very disappointed because we were looking forward to visiting DR.

Although we are Regent Gold, we never visited the private island. Looking forward to the new postings on this issue. 

3 hours ago, dvalentine823 said:

went there on a PC (Pre Covid) Regent cruise and the ship was the only ship at the island. Pretty much had the run of the place as many passengers did not leave the ship. But it also meant a lot of things were closed or not in use (like the water slides, zip line etc). Food and drinks were included and they have a few bars and one larger Caribbean Buffett (not the best though as it was hot and the local wildlife also tried to partake). Plenty of chairs and loungers. Nice to get off the ship for a few hours and enjoy the beach. We are booked on a future trip also visiting GSC. This time it seems more things will be open as we could already reserve zip line, paddle boards, wave runners etc. 

59 minutes ago, Gcto said:

went there on a PC (Pre Covid) Regent cruise and the ship was the only ship at the island. Pretty much had the run of the place as many passengers did not leave the ship. But it also meant a lot of things were closed or not in use (like the water slides, zip line etc). Food and drinks were included and they have a few bars and one larger Caribbean Buffett (not the best though as it was hot and the local wildlife also tried to partake). Plenty of chairs and loungers. Nice to get off the ship for a few hours and enjoy the beach. We are booked on a future trip also visiting GSC. This time it seems more things will be open as we could already reserve zip line, paddle boards, wave runners etc. 

Isn’t the Island really set up for large mega type ships?  Not supposed to be a luxury type experience?

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

Isn’t the Island really set up for large mega type ships?  Not supposed to be a luxury type experience?

yes, that's why it was so empty and more than half the island was pretty much closed, not usable etc. It felt kinda nice because it was so empty and the beach was nice enough (and the ship was close by to get back to quickly). Would I have enjoyed it with a Mega ship there as well....absolutely NOT. 

My wife and I were there on a Voyager cruise.  We were the only ship, and you have to use the NCL tenders to get to the docks.  We felt it was a waste of time.  There was more to do on the ship than the half empty island which felt desolate and empty.  Just our opinion.

I understand that Norwegian's big ships stop there.   We are booked on Oceania in Dec.They just cancelled a stop in the Dominican Republic and changed it to GSC too. They are not all inclusive ..the food is included on the Cay,  but the drinks only if you buy their package. The cabanas are available for rent. I wonder if Regent will include any as a tour choice? You should get more info on their web site for your cruise. Since NCL , Regent & Oceania are all under the NCL brand it makes sense. Don't know the reason for cancelling the DR.

4 hours ago, honumaui said:

I understand that Norwegian's big ships stop there.   We are booked on Oceania in Dec.They just cancelled a stop in the Dominican Republic and changed it to GSC too. They are not all inclusive ..the food is included on the Cay,  but the drinks only if you buy their package. The cabanas are available for rent. I wonder if Regent will include any as a tour choice? You should get more info on their web site for your cruise. Since NCL , Regent & Oceania are all under the NCL brand it makes sense. Don't know the reason for cancelling the DR.

I don’t know, but does NCL own the Island.  If so it would cost efficient to replace DR with the Island. Even if they don’t own it———

Years ago we went there on Navigator.  We were only ship there. We all had a good time on beach.  I don’t remember eating but we had drinks.  A group of us were out standing in the water talking and a waiter with a tray of drinks came out to us offering us a drink. 😀

Back in 2000 on the old Westerdam, in the Carrib. on Half Moon Cay the waiters waded into the water with a champagne tray, wearing a tux top, and we took pictures being served  in the beautiful turquoise water . It was a cute photo op. I doubt they will be doing that on Regent or Oceania but you never know.

SeaDreams Cruises stops at an Island, you have a Bar B Q like no other one I’ve been too.  They bring all the china, crystal and silverware for fine dining. Roasted Prime Rib, Lobster, Large Shrimp and so on….We’ll you’re in the water before lunch the crew in full whites bring a surfboard in the water filled with champagne and caviar- yes they bring it to you in the water.  Great Day!

WE were on the island with Oceania a few years ago and it was pretty nice for a few hours.  Food was  a BBQ.  Not too crowded as we were the only ship there.   If one of the big NCL ships were there I would not get off the ship.  Would be too many people for us. 

If you are beach lovers, you’ll enjoy yourself immensely. Private beach, served by the waiters and bartenders from the ship on the island.  

Or, you can take the tender back and have lunch on the ship. 

If putting your toes in the sand is not your thing, then you’d probably enjoy staying on the ship better. 

The one time we were there we were the only ship there and it was actually a nice break from the hustle and bustle of the 'real' islands.  Plenty of loungers, some parasailing, JetSkis, etc. - but the highlight was seeing the crew with their uniform pants rolled up to their knees wading through the surf with trays of champagne.  🙂  

I'd go back.  IF we're the only ship anchored.  I would NOT want to be there if a mega-ship was also there.  Not sure if Regent would do that, but if they did...ugh...I'd stay on board.

Thanks for all the information. We looked at a few YouTube videos about GSC and decided that if a large ship were scheduled to be there, we would probably pay for a villa to avoid the crowds, if they were still available. We will make that a game time decision!

On 6/22/2021 at 8:21 PM, DatawCruiser said:

My wife and I were there on a Voyager cruise.  We were the only ship, and you have to use the NCL tenders to get to the docks.  We felt it was a waste of time.  There was more to do on the ship than the half empty island which felt desolate and empty.  Just our opinion.

To each his own, but we love a beach that feels desolate and empty. In fact, we've spent a lot of time in the Bahamas, living on our boat in the winter before we sold our boat and switched to cruises at the beginning of 2017. We liked it best when we had a remote beach all to ourselves. We passed Stirrup Cay a few times and saw a large number of cruise ships anchored off. We were very happy to not be stopping there with thousands of people onshore. We were headed to Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands. The people who live there make a good living from the cruise ships who stop at GSC, and that's a good thing.

1 hour ago, SWFLAOK said:

To each his own, but we love a beach that feels desolate and empty. In fact, we've spent a lot of time in the Bahamas, living on our boat in the winter before we sold our boat and switched to cruises at the beginning of 2017. We liked it best when we had a remote beach all to ourselves. We passed Stirrup Cay a few times and saw a large number of cruise ships anchored off. We were very happy to not be stopping there with thousands of people onshore. We were headed to Great Harbour Cay in the Berry Islands. The people who live there make a good living from the cruise ships who stop at GSC, and that's a good thing.

My and other replies was based on being the ONLY ship not multiple ships. 

15 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

This does not feel desolate and empty....even when empty. It feels like a beach water park with every inch of land developed. Nice...sure....but built to handle a LOT of people efficiently. Nothing at all like a remote and secluded beach.

Same here..having been to many empty island beaches in Hawaii and the Carib. , a developed Cay would not be enjoyable for us. Can't see spending $$ for a cabana just to have shade. Our cabin is lovely. Hubby doesn't even want to go ashore.