Bumped into an old friend...

Jellifer

Am in lovely Liverpool on a U.K. staycation and was happy to see the lovely Rotterdam as-was. 

She’s had a new paint job & is know called Borealis under the Fred Olsen line. She’s looking lovely, am hoping to try her out some day soon. 🙂

0A34638D-1A43-4C27-83DA-1108579579BD.jpeg

883A8A17-133E-4713-9E74-BF135F6B6E51.jpeg

• Like 17

Having participated in the Fred. Olsen CC Message Board, our friends across the Pond are looking forward to sailing on her as well as Bollete.  

Just as some of us who sailed on the vessels of Royal Viking Line witnessed them becoming vessels of the Fred. Olsen fleet, the Company cared for them and continued their good service to their guests.  That will continue with Bollete and Borealis, I believe.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, whogo said:

Did HAL add cabins and remove the aft pool after our 2009 sailing?

It was in November, 2009 that HAL removed the pool, added cabins to the two decks below the Lido Deck, and added a 'running stream' feature on the 'new' extension of the Lido Deck. That changed the shape of the stern, with a new overhang. 

I was on that last cruise, ending 10/31/09, before the renovation, and never boarded her again. 
I would love to see what that area of the ship looks like now. 

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

It was in November, 2009 that HAL removed the pool, added cabins to the two decks below the Lido Deck, and added a 'running stream' feature on the 'new' extension of the Lido Deck. That changed the shape of the stern, with a new overhang. 

I was on that last cruise, ending 10/31/09, before the renovation, and never boarded her again. 
I would love to see what that area of the ship looks like now. 

This video shows Rotterdam as Borealis now.  If you go to about 4:40, you'll see that Fred Olsen didn't really do much to that aft lazy river thing, except doll it up a little.  That aft thing was decidedly not my favorite feature of Rotterdam, but I was completely blown away by a lot of the onboard art, especially the terra cotta warrior and his horse. 

Edited by mightycruisequeen

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Did Fred Olsen also buy the Amsterdam?  

Yes.

4 hours ago, Cruise4food said:

Interesting comment that I saw about the Borealis and Bolette (sp?) is they are the newest ships in Fred Olsen fleet. I took that to mean newest since launch date. 

Yes, I think the two ships are the youngest of their fleet.  

Looking at video from the actual first cruise of Borealis, they turned the outdoor hot tub into a gigantic planter. People complained that the hot tub blocked the side to side view at the stern (well, yes it did) but now there is a small forest above the hot tub.

And for the view, I am of a mindset that sometimes the hot tub itself provided a good view.  😉😇

6 minutes ago, Cruise4food said:

Looking at video from the actual first cruise of Borealis, they turned the outdoor hot tub into a gigantic planter. People complained that the hot tub blocked the side to side view at the stern (well, yes it did) but now there is a small forest above the hot tub.

And for the view, I am of a mindset that sometimes the hot tub itself provided a good view.  😉😇

I saw that and it looks weird..

• Like 1

Thank you, we enjoyed our lanai cabin on Deck 3, cabin 3368….stepping out on to the promenade deck was great, and sitting in our deck chairs always offered us some fun meet and greets!

She looks lovely!

On 7/15/2021 at 5:40 PM, Sir PMP said:

I saw that and it looks weird..

Certainly different, to be sure.  A "Winter Garden" type Lounge only on an open deck.  Maybe at some point Fred. Olsen will rip up that whole area and do something that makes some sense on a cruise ship.