Canada's cruise ship ban to end November 1st, 2021

This is aimed at the cruise lines so they can plan 2022 CNE and Alaska plus some repos.

Next to do, aiming at the passengers: lifting the "no non-essential" international travel ban/recommendation.  Please!  That is the only thing between us and a 45 minute flight to Seattle and onward to Alaska this season.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, iancal said:

There was no push that worked.

The decision on ports and borders is based on recommendations from the public health authorities.   Not always popular in some quarters but this has been primarily a health issue not a popularity contest.

Just when does a technical stop for a few hours in Canadian port without disembarking or taking on cruise passengers ever a health issue? It was a political decision. Canada tried to bluff and ended up blinking first at the poker table.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I suppose it also means that the Washington and Alaska State ferries will be able to ply Canadian waters.  Perhaps the Coho ferry between Port Angeles and Victoria will start up again a bit sooner.

We just hope the land border opens up soon.

The Alaska ferries were exempted.  They've been cruising their normal route from Bellingham, through Canadian waters, to Ketchikan all through this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JRG said:

Here in SD we are at the 90% and thereabouts for goals,  but I am worried about the rest of the worlds readiness and thus I think US domestic routes need to be expanded in the next few years to bridge the gap until Canada  and the rest of the world is on par with the US vax wise.

You might want to check current US and Canadian rates,  Canada has been  ahead for first doses since May and will be shortly ahead of doubles whereas US vaccinations seem to have stalled. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sfaaa said:

Just when does a technical stop for a few hours in Canadian port without disembarking or taking on cruise passengers ever a health issue? It was a political decision. Canada tried to bluff and ended up blinking first at the poker table.

Comments like this were so predictable as soon as the announcement was made.  Here we go again with the sniping at Canada.  Yawn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Exactly ... a useless press conference for a useless announcement.  What is more important at this stage is an announcement on the opening date of the Canada-US border! 

Not yet, hopefully.

• Like 3

Good news for FULLY VACCINATED visitors. As Canada nears its 75% target, it will reopen to vax visitors from around the world. Hopefully, we will continue to require a quick test at the border.

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday Canada could start allowing fully vaccinated Americans into Canada as of mid-August for non-essential travel and should be in a position to welcome fully vaccinated travelers from all countries by early September.

Trudeau spoke with leaders of Canada’s provinces and his office released a readout of the call. He noted that if Canada’s current positive path of vaccination rate and public health conditions continue the border can open..."

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/fully-vaccinated-americans-enter-canada-020046950.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

November 1 ??? We have a word in Canada for cruise ships after November 1 ... icebreaker 😉

Canada to build two polar icebreakers for High Arctic operations – RCI |  English

CCGS John GDiefenbaker; rumor has it she will do a roundtrip Quebec City - Charlotte Amalie in November 😉 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Exactly ... a useless press conference for a useless announcement.  What is more important at this stage is an announcement on the opening date of the Canada-US border! 

I don't see it as useless. The ban had already been extended and there could be concern amongst cruise lines (which have regular seasons planned for 2022) that it could be extended again.

It also gives me optimism that the government's advisory against international cruise travel could be lifted soon. Because of that advisory it is almost impossible to get travel insurance that would cover COVID-related medical issues and cancellations.  I have two cruises booked for next year (not on HAL) and with final payment due in Feb. for the earlier one I am concerned about being able to get insurance.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Canada tried to bluff and ended up blinking first at the poker table.

Huh???  

Canada did not bluff.  Things were / are  closed until the projections of it’s citizens being fully vaccinated could be confirmed and there will be sufficient people protected.

I see nothing wrong with protecting your citizens.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Canada to build two polar icebreakers for High Arctic operations – RCI |  English

CCGS John GDiefenbaker; rumor has it she will do a roundtrip Quebec City - Charlotte Amalie in November 😉 

Don't forget to pack your formal clothes for Gala Night 😉

cold winter clothes.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Someone on another forum brought up a good point. While ending the cruise ship ban early will have zero effect on the cruise ship season, it might have an effect on Canadians taking cruises elsewhere this winter. It suddenly makes a big difference getting out of country health insurance for a cruise if it isn’t a banned activity.

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Someone on another forum brought up a good point. While ending the cruise ship ban early will have zero effect on the cruise ship season, it might have an effect on Canadians taking cruises elsewhere this winter. It suddenly makes a big difference getting out of country health insurance for a cruise if it isn’t a banned activity.

Canada still has to lift it’s  travel advisory on cruising.  Until that happens many will have difficulty getting coverage.

FA871A6E-0467-4419-85BE-3FBF85B26CCA.thumb.png.d5178274656e86b0f85a9a3c6338199a.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Huh???  

Canada did not bluff.  Things were / are  closed until the projections of it’s citizens being fully vaccinated could be confirmed and there will be sufficient people protected.

I see nothing wrong with protecting your citizens.

Unfortunately, there are too many in the USA who consider everyone not in the USA as second or maybe third class. The concept of independent nations protection their own goes right over their heads.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Canada still has to lift it’s  travel advisory on cruising.  Until that happens many will have difficulty getting coverage.

FA871A6E-0467-4419-85BE-3FBF85B26CCA.thumb.png.d5178274656e86b0f85a9a3c6338199a.png

It’s still a cloudy crystal ball, but the hope is that once the cruise ship ban is lifted then the advisory will be as well. But I’m not ready to place any bets.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Comments like this were so predictable as soon as the announcement was made.  Here we go again with the sniping at Canada.  Yawn.

Canada deserves to be the recipient of any sniping directed its way as  Canadian  decisions have been politically motivated ,  politicians being  interested in eventual voters who  can be either won or lost in the long term.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It’s still a cloudy crystal ball, but the hope is that once the cruise ship ban is lifted then the advisory will be as well. But I’m not ready to place any bets.

Totally agree.  As i said earlier in another thread, my crystal ball is very fuzzy these days.

DC9EAC18-E080-42C4-8535-6D4D88A95AF5.jpeg.5fefcedc5c1a78009df174cda82d3b3a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Winters in NZ said:

Canada deserves to be the recipient of any sniping directed its way as  Canadian  decisions have been politically motivated ,  politicians being  interested in eventual voters who  can be either won or lost in the long term.

Such ignorance.  And the numbers speak for themselves so I hope the border stays closed longer given the huge upsurge in cases south of us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Winters in NZ said:

Huh ????

• Like 2

It might be worthwhile for those who are criticizing the Canadian Gov't to take a look at our covid deaths per million population compared to other nations.

The current number is sitting at about 37 percent of either the US number or the  UK number.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2