Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

There has been an apparent update to the RCL policy and they are not accepting those with mixed vaccines as being fully vaccinated.  I spoke to RCL by phone in the last 30 minutes and confirmed with guest services that there has been a recent update.

Here is the verbiage under the FAQ section of the healthy sail site...

Mixed Vaccines from Different Manufacturers

We understand some guests may have been vaccinated with doses from two different vaccine manufacturers. Whether these are accepted depends on where you are sailing from and the mix of manufacturers.  

For Cruises Departing from U.S. Ports 

The U.S. CDC has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided updated guidance to Royal Caribbean. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated.

To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer with the last dose administered at least 14 days before their sail date.

I was on hold for resolutions and was disconnected.  Wanted to confirm what I was told and what my options were.

30 minutes ago, tmli said:

There has been an apparent update to the RCL policy and they are not accepting those with mixed vaccines as being fully vaccinated.  I spoke to RCL by phone in the last 30 minutes and confirmed with guest services that there has been a recent update.

We understand some guests may have been vaccinated with doses from two different vaccine manufacturers. Whether these are accepted depends on where you are sailing from and the mix of manufacturers.  

The U.S. CDC has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided updated guidance to Royal Caribbean. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated.

To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer with the last dose administered at least 14 days before their sail date.

I was on hold for resolutions and was disconnected.  Wanted to confirm what I was told and what my options were.

I'm so over the back and forth.  I'm so annoyed that our government isn't doing anything to help the  1.5M Canadians affected by their decision.  I believe the science but the fact of the matter is they did not take any consideration on how this would affect us long term.  I have 3 cruises booked in 2021 and 2022 and no idea if I can even go on them (mixed vaccinated - pfizer/moderna).

Also the link that Royal posted that claims to support the CDC's decision doesn't even work...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

I'm so over the back and forth.  I'm so annoyed that our government isn't doing anything to help the  1.5M Canadians affected by their decision.  I believe the science but the fact of the matter is they did not take any consideration on how this would affect us long term.  I have 3 cruises booked in 2021 and 2022 and no idea if I can even go on them (mixed vaccinated - pfizer/moderna).

Also the link that Royal posted that claims to support the CDC's decision doesn't even work...

Might as well go for a soda.

Kim Mitchell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaddyandMax said:

How do you know the government is not doing anything ? 
are you at the table to hear what the USA amd Canadian government are talking about ? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

How do you know the government is not doing anything ? 
are you at the table to hear what the USA amd Canadian government are talking about ? 

I don’t know. Never said I did. But if they are they aren’t telling us. It would nice to know they are at least trying to working on it. 

I’m sure at some point this will all work out. The science is on our side. But in the meantime I have an October cruise booked that’s in limbo. With flights and hotels that I need to book. 

like everyone else I’m just frustrated. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tmli said:

Celebrity is also following this.  Here is the notice I just received for a client,

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional protocols, restrictions, and costs for COVID-19 testing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Celebrity is also following this.  Here is the notice I just received for a client,

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. Currently, the CDC does not recognize any mixed combination of COVID-19 vaccines as fully vaccinated. To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with products from the same manufacturer, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional protocols, restrictions, and costs for COVID-19 testing.

I saw the CDC "press release" it left zero wiggle room.  

"Vaccine doses from different manufacturers are not interchangeable"

This really sucks for our neighbors to the north, just makes me sick

• Like 6

<sigh>

And around and around we go.

I have just received the below response from the RCCL executive office regarding my cruise from Nassau:

"At this moment, For Cruises Departing from Ports Outside of the U.S, Royal Caribbean will accept guests who are vaccinated with a mixed regimen consisting of 2 shots of specific manufacturer combinations."

This was in direct response to my email, clearly stating that my Pfizer/Moderna doses were administered 44 days apart.  Meanwhile, the FAQ section on cruises departing outside of the US still says that mRNA mixes must be administered within 42 days.  So I still don't know where this leaves me.

Meanwhile, the CDC's "clarification" on mixed doses for US departures is literally in direct contradiction to the document they used to justify it (according to RCCL), which states the following in the referenced section:

"If two doses of different mRNA COVID-19 vaccine products are administered in these situations (or inadvertently), no additional doses of either product are recommended at this time. Such persons are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ≥2 weeks after receipt of the second dose of an mRNA vaccine."

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html#Interchangeability

It is also worth noting that the "situation" that led to the vaccination of many Canadians with mixed mRNA doses was exactly the exceptional situation that the CDC describes; namely, the temporary unavailability of a dose from the same manufacturer, resulting in a delay of more than six weeks between doses.

What a mess.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

I noticed this too.  The link itself is broken, but the text is correct.  ie. If you click on the link it fails, but if you copy and paste the URL into a browser it takes you to the right place.

Edited by mabt

3 hours ago, christinand said:

Yes it is as your misrepresenting yourself that you've had the same vaccine. Do what you want and face the consequences.

It's not any kind of misrepresentation, unless RCCL specifically asks at the port what doses have been administered, and at what interval, and is given an untruthful response.  It's on them to decide whether the perfectly valid documentation provided by my local health authority meets their requirements or not, not me.  There is nothing in the cruise contract that stipulates what specific vaccination series they require, and I'm certainly not legally bound by their website FAQ, which changes every week.

Having said that, I probably wouldn't risk it myself, even though I think it's highly likely it would be accepted without question.  If they do ask for clarification on the first dose, and then deny boarding, I'm out a lot of money for a ruined vacation.  But I'm not guilty of fraud.

In a few weeks we should have a clearer idea of what documentation is being requested at the port, in practice.  There are a number of Canadians on this board who have cruises booked before the end of the summer.  Hopefully they will report back with their experiences.

Edited by mabt
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cthy651 said:

Documentation,

I have a question regarding the requirements - my documentation shows that I have received two valid doses and the date of my last vaccination.  If this is the document to board the ship, how do they know which vaccine, I received first, and how long it was between vaccinations.  Anyone have any experience with this.  Thank you.   Here's hoping we can all get back to cruising sooner than later.

I have the same documentation.  But, I read, I believe on the RC website that they want to see both proofs of vaccination showing type of vaccine, quantity of vaccine, where it was inserted, date of vaccination and of course name, etc, etc.  I thought the same as you that the ‘two valid doses’ line would be enough.  Apparently not. 
I don’t cruise until Nov 2022, and will be campaigning for a third dose.  

6 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

I have the same documentation.  But, I read, I believe on the RC website that they want to see both proofs of vaccination showing type of vaccine, quantity of vaccine, where it was inserted, date of vaccination and of course name, etc, etc.  I thought the same as you that the ‘two valid doses’ line would be enough.  Apparently not. 
I don’t cruise until Nov 2022, and will be campaigning for a third dose.  

Here the picture of the email receipt of my vaccine second shot 

just looking at it, it doesnt even have the province name on it 

it does say I have had 2 valid doses

F762E279-91EA-4C6B-B740-7D9CF7A7EB3F.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Here the picture of the email receipt of my vaccine second shot 

just looking at it, it doesnt even have the province name on it 

it does say I have had 2 valid doses

F762E279-91EA-4C6B-B740-7D9CF7A7EB3F.jpeg

Looks like you spent a few minutes blacking out the big Ontario to the left of the trillium !ogo.

Edited by d9704011

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Looks like you spent a few minutes blacking out the big Ontario to the left of the trillium !ogo.

It is a screen shot of the email they sent 

That is how it came , only black out personal info 

Edited by Airbalancer

13 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

It is a screen shot of the email they sent 

That is how it came , only black out personal info 

OK.  I have something different.  The e-mail you received probably has a web link that will take you to your vax document; perhaps you'll get the full version there.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

OK.  I have something different.  The e-mail you received probably has a web link that will take you to your vax document; perhaps you'll get the full version there.

There only a link to a PDF that tells what side effects there maybe 

BEC99CE6-0AE5-4A18-96BC-758B2806383B.jpeg

Edited by Airbalancer

23 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

We had to reprint my MIL fist dose record because she somehow lost it. The replacement version contained the same info and IMO did not look as good as the one posted above.