Passengers who have used Mixed Vaccination Protocols will not be considered to be Fully Vaccinated per RCI FAQs

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Odd only Pfizer says a booster is needed..

If you read the link provided by @sgmn it is saying that people that had pfizer may not need the booster but those that had a combination of doses may need a pfizer booster.  

Trials still in process.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Odd only Pfizer says a booster is needed..

Since when?   I haven’t seen that?  

I know there is some discussion going on for giving high risk folks a booster, but I haven’t seen a definitive statement that it is needed and certainly not for the vast majority of folks.  

In fact, a highly regarded immunologist recently stated that, based on the research coming in, it is likely that the vaccines could remain effective for several years or more.  That is one opinion, but it gives me hope.  

Of course, we just don’t know yet, but so far all of the vaccines approved in the US are holding up well over time.  My guess is that boosters will only be need if a variant develops that easily evades current vaccine protection. Or they may be suggested for very high risk folks.  

At least I sure hope that is the case.  The side effects, for young folks in particular, can be pretty nasty. Good luck getting young healthy folks to go through that again when they can’t afford to miss work and/or have little kids to care for at home.  

The reality is that cruising/vaccine issues are not very important in the grand scheme of things and fair has nothing to do with it.  First world problems as people say around here.  Anyone who books an international trip such as a cruise should fully expect there could be many difficult issues to deal with.  Sadly, the old normal doesn’t exist anymore and we will be in a Covid/post Covid protocol situation for a long time.  I know we all wish we could go back to the days when this was the case.  But we can’t.  Buckle up, it is going to be a bumpy ride for a while yet.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, topnole said:

Since when?   I haven’t seen that?  

Since around July 9th (publicly at least). Pfizer is seeking authorization for a third dose. However, it doesn't look like the CDC or the FDA is jumping up and down to approve this anytime soon. From what I understand a big hurdle is they want more doses available worldwide before starting third doses. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-ask-fda-authorize-booster-dose-covid-vaccine-delta-variant-spreads-2021-07-08/

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/health/pfizer-waning-immunity-bn/index.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/07/15/1028803/pfizer-wants-to-give-you-a-booster-shot-but-experts-say-its-too-soon/

36 minutes ago, 3monkeys4me said:

Since around July 9th (publicly at least). Pfizer is seeking authorization for a third dose. However, it doesn't look like the CDC or the FDA is jumping up and down to approve this anytime soon. From what I understand a big hurdle is they want more doses available worldwide before starting third doses. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizer-ask-fda-authorize-booster-dose-covid-vaccine-delta-variant-spreads-2021-07-08/

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/health/pfizer-waning-immunity-bn/index.html

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/07/15/1028803/pfizer-wants-to-give-you-a-booster-shot-but-experts-say-its-too-soon/

Agree as CDC stated just few days ago there is no need for 3rd Shot/Booster as of now and no plans needing one. New Variant in Future maybe. Pfizer testing a 3rd Dose is about $

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

You only have to wait 28 days.  The four months thing was because they were trying to get more people with one dose quicker. Now that we have hit our initial target, the last month has been 28 days.

Yes, that is how it is NOW, but for millions of Canadians who were at the front of the line, THEIR two doses were months apart. I will be honest and say that we have concerns for our Mom that she is fully protected. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Yes, that is how it is NOW, but for millions of Canadians who were at the front of the line, THEIR two doses were months apart. I will be honest and say that we have concerns for our Mom that she is fully protected. 

I waited practically 3 months between shots and I feel that I am safely double vaccinated.  The way the Delta variant has been rolling though Canada if the delay affected the vaccines response it would have been evident by now, because our rates would still be high or worse like back in April. 

I’m not sure about your mom’s situation but if possible she could have flown to FL and joined you.  She could have had both her doses over the 21/28 days and flown home with a 2 week quarantine and been fully vaccinated faster than people here in Canada until mid-May.  Few people had that opportunity to travel to get their shots.  In fact the only Canadians that were fully vaccinated first were most those in LTC.  The second group were the Canadians that still went to the states despite the pandemic, and got vaccinated there. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

Fellow Nova Scotian, same here! I specifically waited for a second Pfizer so I would be matchy matchy.  I know Dr. Strang was pushing his mandate, but I knew it would be difficult for travel.

You were lucky in Nova Scotia to have that choice.  My sister said she knew what dose she would get at booking time.  That wasn't the case in many areas of the country.

I went ahead with the Moderna shot I was offered (after Pfizer), despite my better judgement, specifically so that I would be clear to come in NS in a couple of weeks to see family I haven't seen in a couple of years.  Since I have been decidedly unwelcome in the province I grew up in for the past year and a half.  (And yes, I understand why, but it sucks anyway.)  If not for that, I probably would have waited until later in the summer and avoided this mess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrMarc said:

I just got a response to a question and was told that the rule "is pending further review" and to stand by for further communications.

Excellent, thanks for sharing!  I am hopeful that at least for the Nassau sailings they will change the policy (again) shortly, since it seems that the Bahamas have now backed down and RCCL is not beholden to the CDC on those particular sailings.

I was going to give them until EOD Monday before following up.  🙂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mabt said:

You were lucky in Nova Scotia to have that choice.  My sister said she knew what dose she would get at booking time.  That wasn't the case in many areas of the country.

I went ahead with the Moderna shot I was offered (after Pfizer), despite my better judgement, specifically so that I would be clear to come in NS in a couple of weeks to see family I haven't seen in a couple of years.  Since I have been decidedly unwelcome in the province I grew up in for the past year and a half.  (And yes, I understand why, but it sucks anyway.)  If not for that, I probably would have waited until later in the summer and avoided this mess.

Yes, on our booking site it says which vaccine is offered at each location, which was great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cello56 said:

I went 50 days between shots in order to get two Pfizer. I could have been done much sooner if I had taken Moderna for my second.

On 7/16/2021 at 10:43 PM, gam888 said:

We are booked on the Adventure of the Seas sailing in July. I called RCI and they say that we will be put in the unvaccinated group since we had mixed doses. The venues on the ships will have different times when the vaccinated group or the unvaccinated group can go, so they are kept separated.  I think we would have to wear masks indoor as well being in the unvaccinated group. So that is making this cruise a lot less attractive now. We have to think about if we still want to go or not. Also RCI is giving an Antigen test on the second last day of the cruise before we get off, so we can return to Canada. But according to the Canadian Govt's website, they don't accept Antigen test. So I have no idea how we are supposed to get a PCR test somewhere in the Bahamas during the cruise, since we are getting off the cruise and flying back to Canada on the same day. So this is getting a lot more complicated now.

I am just starting to read this thread, so I apologize if you have got the answer to this before me, but I too had the same question.  RCCL replied with the email below saying they would provide us with free PCR tests to get us back into Canada if we require them (we are fully vaccinated).  I would assume that they would offer you a PCR test as well if you require it to re-enter Canada.

Good Evening,

I hope this e-mail finds you well.

Regarding your question about the PCR test:
Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. Registration details will be provided during your cruise.

Best Regards,

Mike Bermudez
Executive Office
Royal Guest Experience Management

• Like 3

23 hours ago, mabt said:

It would be nice to know if anyone else from Ontario has sailed with Royal, and what proof of vaccination they showed.  We can't possibly be the first.  Our final vaccination documentation here (the vaccination record issued by my local health authority, which should be considered acceptable documentation per RCL's own stated policy) just shows the manufacturer of the second dose, and that "two valid doses" were administered.  It does not explicitly list the manufacturer of the first dose or state that doses were mixed.  I do have a separate record of the first dose, but they would have to go out of their way to ask for it.

I have the same questions you have since we live in Ontario.  I contacted RCCL and was told by an agent, Anna, that the documentation we in Ontario have received is fine as proof of vaccination.  I also received an email from Michael Bayley's office a few days after regarding this (included below).

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting the Executive Office of Royal Caribbean Group. On behalf of Mr. Bayley, I welcome the opportunity to respond to your e-mail.

I genuinely apologize for the delay in this response. Unfortunately, given the COVID-19 circumstances and the influx of communications coming in due to this situation, we are drastically backed up and affected in our response times.

Nevertheless, I am happy to see that you spoke with our representative Anne yesterday and were assisted with your concerns. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns, and I will be happy to assist.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Best Regards,

Mike Bermudez
Executive Office
Royal Guest Experience Management

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dswallow said:

I would suggest a nicely written note to Michael Bayley expressing your opinions of the mixed vaccination policy announcement ...
mbayley@rccl.com

Really a good idea!

And that's what I did.

I'm sure, that they will not (maybe cannot) change this policy right now. But if they arn't aware of the problem, none will take care of it!

Till November (for us) there is quite a bit of time, so hoping for the best, but expecting....

Stay safe!

Bear

1 hour ago, Royal_Cruise_Bear said:

Really a good idea!

And that's what I did.

I'm sure, that they will not (maybe cannot) change this policy right now. But if they arn't aware of the problem, none will take care of it!

Till November (for us) there is quite a bit of time, so hoping for the best, but expecting....

Stay safe!

Bear

Is this policy still listed on their website?

4 hours ago, MaddyandMax said:

Interestingly enough (not that I hold much merit at this point) but the bold note about mixed vaccines has disappeared from their site.

Below is a screen shot from yesterday and today (9:05 today).

July 18

July17.jpg

I wonder if Royal's (RCL's) insurance company changed it's coverage exclusion's.

17 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree as CDC stated just few days ago there is no need for 3rd Shot/Booster as of now and no plans needing one. New Variant in Future maybe. Pfizer testing a 3rd Dose is about $

More like $$$$$$$$$$$. Fact is this has been very profitable for Pfizer, Moderna, et al and they'd like to keep it that way I'm sure. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mabt said:

Agreed.  The problem is that we don't know when.

At the moment, all I have at stake is a refundable cruise.  But at some point very soon, I will have to book flights.  We are six weeks out, and options for Eastern Canada are both very limited and fairly expensive.  If I wait a couple of weeks, I run the risk of having even fewer and/or more expensive options.  Fully refundable fares from Canada cost (way) more than the cruise.  If I book a non-refundable fare, and have to cancel, I risk losing thousands.  My best option, both in price and flexibility, is to drive to New York and fly direct from there, but we don't even know for sure that we'll be allowed to drive across the border by late August.  That's looking positive, but by no means certain.

So, speaking only for myself, I'm perfectly calm.  But still calmly evaluating my options.  😉

Not sure if you've checked but the mention of mixed doses is now gone from Royal's Canadian website. That was fast. 

• Like 5