Vaccine proof

20 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Enquiring about my medical records sounds like it violates every HIPAA law on the books.  But then again.....maybe not.    😀

Your latter inclination is correct. You can absolutely exercise your privacy rights and not cruise. Same with buying anything that requires ID. It's private information that people hand over all the time for goods/services. No one can force you, they can only ask but they can deny you if you don't provide it voluntarily. Even something as simple as a return without a receipt. Kids have to show vaccines to get in school and adults for some professions. Nothing new.     

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Your latter inclination is correct. You can absolutely exercise your privacy rights and not cruise. Same with buying anything that requires ID. It's private information that people hand over all the time for goods/services. No one can force you, they can only ask but they can deny you if you don't provide it voluntarily. Even something as simple as a return without a receipt. Kids have to show vaccines to get in school and adults for some professions. Nothing new.     

When a medical office gives me a form to fill out (usually new patient) the form asks for my social security number.  I don't feel comfortable giving out that so I tell them that.  The front desk says it's fine and I have my appointment with the doctor. I have heard of too many instances of identity theft with medical records.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Enquiring about my medical records sounds like it violates every HIPAA law on the books.  But then again.....maybe not.    😀

I believe the law you refer to prohibits healthcare providers from giving your information to a third party without your permission.  It does not prohibit you from giving that information. The cruise line is asking you, not your health care provider, to volunteer your vaccine status. You don’t have to give them your entire medical record.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have our CDC cards plus printouts we received from our county health department that shows our two recorded vaccination shots in the Florida Shots registry (Florida Public Health Department). Also have county health dept. phone number and email of health official there. The reason for all the backup information is that DH put his shortened name on the CDC card (Bill instead of William, not his real name) and according to protocols, name and birth date on CDC card has to match exactly name and birth date on booking and passport. The FL Shots registry has his legal name and birth date that matches that on the booking and his passport.

Carnival protocols (on their website) say "we recommend you have the contact information (phone and email) immediately available of the healthcare provider or clinic site that issued the certificate, in order to validate the vaccination, if needed. A vaccination registry site may also be used."

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Babr said:

I believe the law you refer to prohibits healthcare providers from giving your information to a third party without your permission.  It does not prohibit you from giving that information. The cruise line is asking you, not your health care provider, to volunteer your vaccine status. You don’t have to give them your entire medical record.

As Cruisingguy stated earlier, you are NOT REQUIRED to show them part of your medical record (including your vaccine status).  If you chose to go on their cruise ship you can volunteer to show proof of vaccine, if requested.  Otherwise, there are plenty of other vacations options that you don't have to be bothered by showing your vaccination status.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HillBilly Bob said:

HIPAA does not allow them to ask any medical provider without your permission; it does not bar you from voluntarily revealing your records or giving a provider permission to reveal them.

You do not have to reveal your records; they do not have to allow you on their cruise ship.

• Like 5

my friends boarded the Vista out of Galveston yesterday.  They said they showed their card one time.  Person looked at it.  That was it.  Said it took 3 seconds.  Uploading the card doesn't help save any time because carnival cannot verify the information anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DGNewton said:

Hope they require it on all cruise going forward with the recent court ruling - a victory for us vax pax's in Florida.

The Florida lawsuit isn't about vaccine passports.  It's about the CDC's slow response to getting cruises started again and the restrictive requirements for operation.  The CDC is not stating that unvaccinated people can't cruise, just that the cruise lines must go to the expense of test cruises before allowing more than 5% unvaccinated.

The Norwegian lawsuit is about vaccine passports, so if that is important to you then you might want to follow that case.

I’m not sure if anyone has asked, but how is the cruise industry able to check if the person REALLY got the vaccine? Is there some type of registry to check against? I have a Fl vaccine card, and I can see how it could be forged. Just asking.

I don't believe the CDC has any record of vaccinations for individuals. They provided the card format, but a private health care company administered the program run by the fire department. If I needed proof, that private company will put a QR code on  my phone, or my HMO which was advised of my vaccination could issue a letter. As to the CDC card, I was given  a blank card with a lot number on a sticker. I had to fill in the other particulars. For the second shot, they had me take a picture of a sample card with the lot number written on it, and fill it in myself at home.  Not exactly up to "Real ID" standards, and in Los Angeles you can buy a CDC card from the same people who supply fake ID's on street corners.  

That to me means that no one is seriously going to verify vaccination status with certainty.

Someone mentioned they don't recite their Social Security number. I agree with that. I tell anyone who asks "Unles your are sending me a large check every month, you don't need that number, or my birthday."

• Like 1

It seems like each state's health department would have vaccine records for their state. It's not like nothing is recorded.  I got both doses in a church parking lot, but after my first dose I got a text message when it came time for my second dose.  With my second dose, they put a sticker with the lot number of the vaccine.  But each state should have those records in some type of state department data base.

Carnival obviously doesn't have time to verify each passenger's vaccination card at the terminal while boarding.  It's possible that if the names don't exactly match, they have someone try to help.  The only way they would really have time is if they get the vaccination information before the cruise.  They might not care enough to go to those lengths since cruises seem to be working for them the way they are doing things.

Edited by TNcruising02

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

HIPAA does not allow them to ask any medical provider without your permission; it does not bar you from voluntarily revealing your records or giving a provider permission to reveal them.

You do not have to reveal your records; they do not have to allow you on their cruise ship.

3 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

With HIPAA, a person's private medical information cannot be disclosed without that person's consent.  It is not a violation to ask for consent.

HIPAA violations only is when medical insurances are involved, anything else is an invasion of privacy,

They have you fill out a questionnaire when your booking opens up to set your appointment time. They have you fill another one out a few days before sailing. At the port you are screened again by a port agent where you are asked the same questions and show your vaccine card. 

17 hours ago, Djptcp said:

We have our CDC cards plus printouts we received from our county health department that shows our two recorded vaccination shots in the Florida Shots registry (Florida Public Health Department). Also have county health dept. phone number and email of health official there. The reason for all the backup information is that DH put his shortened name on the CDC card (Bill instead of William, not his real name) and according to protocols, name and birth date on CDC card has to match exactly name and birth date on booking and passport. The FL Shots registry has his legal name and birth date that matches that on the booking and his passport.

Carnival protocols (on their website) say "we recommend you have the contact information (phone and email) immediately available of the healthcare provider or clinic site that issued the certificate, in order to validate the vaccination, if needed. A vaccination registry site may also be used."

I'm in the same boat. My shortened name is on my card...never thought of using my given name. The only people that use my given name is Carnival and anyone they've sold  my information to. I just learned about having to have the names match last night, so I'm trying to get ahold of the Health Department about getting a new card. I have plenty of time, but it's frustrating. 

As I mentioned in my previous post here, our Covid vaccinations are entered in the Florida Department of Health's Florida Shot registry. They sent me printouts of mine and DH's. As outlined in the Carnival protocols, I will bring them and our CDC cards plus the phone number of the health dept. and email addresses of the people there I dealt with in case there are any questions. I also mentioned that DH put his shortened name on the CDC card instead of his legal name and Carnival protocols say that the CDC card and booking names have to match. Thus we are bringing the additional documents in case of a question at terminal check in. Perhaps, many/most state health departments have similar shot registries.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

I see this has been addressed so I've deleted my initial response.

Edited by sparks1093

23 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

United Airlines gives people the ability to upload their card and type in their vaccination information.  Maybe that is for nothing.

If people could upload their vaccination information ahead of time, it would give Carnival an opportunity to verify the information.  If they could verify the information ahead of time, there would be no reason to present the original card at the terminal.

Interesting. I flew UAL earlier this year, and tho I am fully vaccinated I was not asked nor had to show proof. Is this something new?