Best Entertainment

Texaschick51

I like talking about the shows on ships (most on this site do not ) .It is hard to say because I do not know what you like and they change the shows a lot. At one time they all had similar shows a little of everything country,rock and soul. They tended to be like Vegas style show girl type (more modest) . People got sick of those any some tried some new things with mixed results. There is only two kinds of music for me a song I like and one I do not care for. At one time Carnival had the best of these old Vegas  style shows very good talent and a good mix of songs. Celebrity also had very good shows at one time but our last couple of times they were stale and not very good (the dancers were great). Royal on some ships has truncated versions of Broadway show's . They gut the plot and do the music we prefer these type of shows. N.C.L has tried some new and different things like ''burn the floor'' a great show of all ballroom dancers. Good luck finding anything about what will be on you ship .I would not pick a cruise based on the shows ,just take it for what it is and enjoy.

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Have sailed on neither ships, but my cruises on Carnival have provided varied, good, and entertaining entertainment.  

It has been a while since  I have been on Carnival  use to have some great singers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dolittle said:

It has been a while since  I have been on Carnival  use to have some great singers.

The last day on Carnival Liberty, there was an afternoon show called the Towel Animal Theater.  Clearly designed for the children, but, this senior citizen attended and it was more enjoyable and funny than the comedian on the ship.  

18 hours ago, Texaschick51 said:

Which ship has the best entertainment(music), Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas or Carnival Breeze?

While I think that you can have a great time on Carnival, their entertainment has sadly fallen behind most other cruise lines. You’ll still find a good band on some venues and ships, but most other forms of entertainment have stagnated, and in some cases (like on stage shows) they’ve actually taken backward steps and cheapened out. 

I do agree that Royal (specially on their Oasis class ships) currently leads the pack in terms of overall entertainment. Great variety and quality. Some shows truly rival or exceed what you could expect to see on land based venues. There’s so much to do that you may actually find yourself figuring out what you’ll need to skip because you won’t have time to do it all.

Now, if you’re looking specifically for music entertainment, I consider that Holland America’s Music Walk can’t be beat. They’ve managed to gather top quality musicians and have them perform simultaneously on various venues along an entertainment district with names like BB King’s Blues Club, Rolling Stone’s Rock Room, Billboard Onboard, and Lincoln Center Stage. Truly a feast for any music lover. 

Edited by Tapi

In my mind, the standard music on most RCCL ships typically includes -

1. Ship's orchestra supporting headline shows and other events
  2. Pop band - plays daily
  3. Latin band
  4. Piano bar player
  5. Pub guitar player
  6. A small classical ensemble or soloist
  7. At least one guest singer for headline show 
  8.  Musical productions by ship's singers and dancers in conjunction with ship's orchestra 
  9. DJ for disco

To me it seems that the music format doesn't change too much regardless of ship from my memory.  I also have only sailed RCCL from the US and Europe so I can't comment on how the music selections change for Asian, Middle East or Australian cruises.

Others feel free to comment on my list above and what the music experience might be on Carnival.

• Like 1

Back in the day, it was worth it to me to put up with some of the 'Carnival' issues because I enjoyed their piano bar so much. Man did that go south. I was on one cruise where the piano player only had a list of about 30 songs and I mean a physical list. If you asked for a song that wasn't on the list, he say "is it on the list?" Oh and he told us that he had lost his singing voice years ago, so he didn't sing.

If my memory is correct, I believe that Carnival has/had more individual performers around the ship. But the last time I cruised with them was three years ago, so that might have changed.

22 hours ago, Tapi said:

Rolling Stone’s Rock Room

I have experienced this only on Nieuw Statendam and I agree the musicians were very good, but their song book was not.  Too many songs repeated night after night.  Probably a disadvantage of a "group" that is composed of disparate musicians who, probably, have limited time to rehearse and "get their act together".  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 8:30 AM, Mike981 said:

Back in the day, it was worth it to me to put up with some of the 'Carnival' issues because I enjoyed their piano bar so much. Man did that go south. I was on one cruise where the piano player only had a list of about 30 songs and I mean a physical list. If you asked for a song that wasn't on the list, he say "is it on the list?" Oh and he told us that he had lost his singing voice years ago, so he didn't sing.

I put in a request on a slip of paper to play "Werewolves of London" and one of the dueling piano player took it as a cue to make a funny wolf-face to the audience and I'm not sure but I think he ate the paper because everybody was laughing.  (this was on HAL)

Then they both did a rush rush version of NY NY and then crowd went crazy so they did Sweet Caroline even faster and I went to go find the puking booth.

I do however have high hopes for cruising entertainment as I think this is where Cruiselines have the most upside to improve from pre-pandemic lows.  

I'm not the best to compare as I haven't sailed all the lines though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRG said:

Then they both did a rush rush version of NY NY and then crowd went crazy so they did Sweet Caroline even faster and I went to go find the puking booth.

And I love both of these songs too,  but you HAVE to play them at their tempo to capture the essence of the song and what they stand for and that makes me puke when I hear classics at the wrong speed for the wrong purpose.     The dynamic range is impacted by the false tempo too, etc,etc,etc.

It helps to be a musician to better understand what I am explaining here so sorry for the sidebar.

Edited by JRG

On 7/19/2021 at 8:26 PM, Aquahound said:

Adventure has studio B (ice rink) so I would say Adventure. I’ve sailed many lines and in my opinion, no one can touch RCI when it comes to entertainment. 

Totally agree , rccl is definitely the best when it comes to entertainment, never get tired of the ice show, also love this class of ship not too big or small.

So I will give you my take on the subject which DOES NOT INCLUDE the massive mega ships (like the Oasis Class) that have amazing entertainment when compared to most other vessels.  But as long time (over forty years) cruisers we must admit that most so-called "production shows" have gotten old.  These days we have trouble getting excited about the pre-recorded sound tracks, dubbed in voices, etc.  So our most memorable entertainment the past few years has involved "Guest Entertainers" and this is really hit/miss on any cruise.  Get a few great entertainers and it becomes memorable.  And then there are the shows from which we make an early exit!  

As to late night shows, DW and I are now seniors but still enjoy them when we happen to be on a ship that has "adult" comedy shows.  Some lines such as HAL and MSC do not have such things which we think is a shame.  But unfortunately, these days there are folks offended by just about anything, most comedy is dead (just talk privately to a professional comedian and you will get an earful) and no matter what type of show they have on a ship there will be some folks who will whine and complain.  Perhaps MSC does have the right idea with international production shows (all music and acrobatics), lots of various live music venues, and zero comedy.  But we have still heard folks whine because they have a rock band, or perhaps a jazz group, or a country group.  Perhaps cruise ships should give out award to the biggest whiners on every cruise.

Hank

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps cruise ships should give out award to the biggest whiners on every cruise.

My Ha, Ha is directed at this sentence!

we must admit that most so-called "production shows" have gotten old.  These days we have trouble getting excited about the pre-recorded sound tracks, dubbed in voices, etc.  So our most memorable entertainment the past few years has involved "Guest Entertainers" and this is really hit/miss on any cruise

When there was live music and performers actually singing and not just mouthing the lyrics, the shows often were worth attending.  The recent production shows that I have seen so seriously under use the technical ability of the theater to provide a show that, as a cruise line shareholder, it is a serious waste of my company's capital in my opinion.  

most comedy is dead (just talk privately to a professional comedian and you will get an earful

What seems to be hilarious to many of my cruisemates seems very unfunny to me.  And, I then walk out.  

Perhaps MSC does have the right idea with international production shows (all music and acrobatics), lots of various live music venues, and zero comedy.

While I thought the YC entertainment on Meraviglia (what I saw) was weak, the main theater's shows were the best that I have seen in many years.  I remain very impressed that an abbreviated performance of La Boehme was performed with both the male and female Leads having good opera quality voices.  Plus, the option to experience quality Cirque shows!  

lots of various live music venues, and zero comedy.  But we have still heard folks whine because they have a rock band, or perhaps a jazz group, or a country group

The diversity of music on Meraviglia was another very strong point for me.  (YC could have used more of that diversity, in my opinion.)  

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My Ha, Ha is directed at this sentence!

When there was live music and performers actually singing and not just mouthing the lyrics, the shows often were worth attending.  The recent production shows that I have seen so seriously under use the technical ability of the theater to provide a show that, as a cruise line shareholder, it is a serious waste of my company's capital in my opinion.  

What seems to be hilarious to many of my cruisemates seems very unfunny to me.  And, I then walk out.  

While I thought the YC entertainment on Meraviglia (what I saw) was weak, the main theater's shows were the best that I have seen in many years.  I remain very impressed that an abbreviated performance of La Boehme was performed with both the male and female Leads having good opera quality voices.  Plus, the option to experience quality Cirque shows!  

The diversity of music on Meraviglia was another very strong point for me.  (YC could have used more of that diversity, in my opinion.)  

I assume the YC entertainment is similar on all their ships.  They tend to only use classical and relatively low key music duos.   DW and I actually enjoy what they have since we see that lounge as a relatively quiet place where folks can socialize and have a conversation without shouting.   When we wanted more lively entertainment we simply left the YC and dared to venture out among the masses :).  The last time we were on the Divina they had an amazing Italian duo.  The guy played electric guitar and his g/f partner was the singer and some time percussionist.  That guy played an amazing rendition of Hotel California that was nearly the match of Don Felder's version (The Eagles lead guitar).

Hank

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

They tend to only use classical and relatively low key music duos.   

In such a venue, that is the proper type of entertainment.  But, the quality of such?  I was not impressed with the violinist, pianist, or the female singer.  

17 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

In such a venue, that is the proper type of entertainment.  But, the quality of such?  I was not impressed with the violinist, pianist, or the female singer.  

In recent years we have found that the quality of entertainment on all the lines we cruise (it is 16 to date) has been hit/miss with an increase on the misses.  Why?  I do not know.  We have world full of terrific talent and many of the younger folks are desperate to work and build their resumes.  You would think that cruise lines can attract these talents but we have too often been disappointed.  On a positive note, 3 years ago we took our first Seabourn Cruise on a small ship with fewer then 450 passengers.  The small group of singers/dancers were amazing!  We met these folks (in one of the bars) and they were all delightful, hungry to work, and told us they were having a lot of fun on a small ship where they had lots of interaction with grateful passengers.   We have also been very impressed with the entertainers we have seen on MSC (they use a large group of in-house entertainers with few guest entertainers).  But on the popular mass market lines such as Celebrity, HAL, and Princess we have seen too many entertainers that were just not very good.  On Princess you would normally have 6 singers as part of the production show group and it was likely that fewer then half were memorable.  It was the same on Celebrity.  HAL got to a point that they just eliminated Production Shows and at times would use a BBC Documentary as the main entertainment.  I have no problems with BBC documentaries but I can watch them on my home TV and sure do not expect that as the main show on a cruise ship.

You mentioned that the quality of what you had in the YC was not great and that is a shame.  On our MSC cruises we have always had pretty good entertainers in the YC.  I guess it is luck of the draw.

Hank