Taxis - Ft Lauderdale

kokopelli-az

Are there plenty of taxis available in Ft Lauderdale now?    Have been reading about taxi driver shortages and long wait times, but not sure if this is true in Ft Lauderdale.   Has anyone taken a taxi from the airport (FLL) to their hotel, from the hotel to the pier, or from the pier back to FLL?   Were there any longer than average weight times?    Or were there plenty of taxis?

I just got off Edge, 3/10/21.

I waited for hotel shuttle to pick us up but they had difficulties getting to cruise port.

There were a lot of taxis, so we took one, it cost $25 to get back to hotel, near airport, about 10 minutes away.

1 minute ago, m8zenblue said:

I waited for hotel shuttle to pick us up but they had difficulties getting to cruise port.

There were a lot of taxis, so we took one, it cost $25 to get back to hotel, near airport, about 10 minutes away.

Why did they have difficulty getting to the cruise port?  Is there road construction around the port?

I live in the FLL area (well just up the road a bit on the beach) and UBER has a big presence in the area. I'm sure you can get UBER from the FLL to your hotel a lot faster than a taxi and UBER is allowed in the port areas (or they were the last time I checked). 

16 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I live in the FLL area (well just up the road a bit on the beach) and UBER has a big presence in the area. I'm sure you can get UBER from the FLL to your hotel a lot faster than a taxi and UBER is allowed in the port areas (or they were the last time I checked). 

Thanks,  we always use Uber. Was concerned if they were still active at FLL.

On July 10th Edge cruise.  No issues getting a taxi from airport to the hotel, hotel to the cruise terminal and then the cruise terminal to the airport.  Only concern was that none of the drivers wore a mask and kept windows up.

• Thanks 3

Just FYI, a couple months ago we visited FLL when our cruise could not take place.  We stayed at a hotel where we usually stay.  Normally Uber to the airport from there was around $20-$25.  It cost us $80.  Not sure if this price gouging is still in effect.  If anyone has used Uber recently would be interested to hear if you paid the usual price?  

July 10th EDGE sailing.  Taxi from FLL to Celebrity's terminal was fixed price.....$20 (and that was even with the waiting around during the airport bomb scare.  About a 10-15 minute ride to Celebrity's terminal.  

Same route in reverse from Celebrity Terminal to FLL.  Same fixed price.

Not sure about UBER.  They've been doing all sorts of funky add on fees for stuff the last few times I've used them (not at FLL, though). Also, the last 2 Ubers I scheduled didn't even show.  

• Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

July 10th EDGE sailing.  Taxi from FLL to Celebrity's terminal was fixed price.....$20 (and that was even with the waiting around during the airport bomb scare.  About a 10-15 minute ride to Celebrity's terminal.  

Same route in reverse from Celebrity Terminal to FLL.  Same fixed price.

Not sure about UBER.  They've been doing all sorts of funky add on fees for stuff the last few times I've used them (not at FLL, though). Also, the last 2 Ubers I scheduled didn't even show.  

Was this an official fixed price or were the Taxi drivers just not using the meter?

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and in my experience, Lyft is almost always cheaper than Uber.  I know it is a matter of preference, but I recently priced out both from my home to the port and Lyft was less than half the price, however, conversely, I often find my wait time for Lyft is longer than Uber.   It's worth looking at both options on the day of to see what works out best for you.

Edited by brwneyedgirl72

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Was this an official fixed price or were the Taxi drivers just not using the meter?

Not sure I know what an official fixed price is.  But no, they weren't using the meter.  And yes, it was $20 each way, fixed price.  That's what both Taxi drivers told me.

I guess one of those bus services might be cheaper?  But, once you get around $20, I'm reluctant to turn down a ride in the hopes of finding another cheaper one.

1 minute ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure I know what an official fixed price is.  But no, they weren't using the meter.  And yes, it was $20 each way, fixed price.  That's what both Taxi drivers told me.

I guess one of those bus services might be cheaper?  But, once you get around $20, I'm reluctant to turn down a ride in the hopes of finding another cheaper one.

Thanks.   My question wasn't about finding a cheaper ride but trying to avoid  a very expensive ride.  I'm always a bit nervous when the driver doesn't want to use the meter.  I can't find anything on the Taxi websites about a fixed price to or from the airport.

9 minutes ago, brwneyedgirl72 said:

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area and in my experience, Lyft is almost always cheaper than Uber.  I know it is a matter of preference, but I recently priced out both from my home to the port and Lyft was less than half the price, however, conversely, I often find my wait time for Lyft is longer than Uber.   It's worth looking at both options on the day of to see what works out best for you.

Thanks for the info. I will check out Lyft, too. Stay Safe and Happy Cruising!

6 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Thanks.   My question wasn't about finding a cheaper ride but trying to avoid  a very expensive ride.  I'm always a bit nervous when the driver doesn't want to use the meter.  I can't find anything on the Taxi websites about a fixed price to or from the airport.

I understand.  I asked them before I got into the taxi what the charge would be.  They both said $20 before I even got in.  I guess they could have charged more and told me I was mistaken afterwards.  But, they could do the same even if they were on the meter and would add some sort of surcharge.

That said, I have been burned in the past on "off meter" taxi rides.  So, I get your trepidation.

Be a bad move on a Taxi driver's part, given they have their phone number plastered on their cars if you have any issues.  Plus, there are police all around the airport and Celebrity's terminal if something went sideways, which I'm sure they'd like to avoid.

My flight was delayed, landed at about 1230am on 7/24, leaving the airport at about 1am it was surprising busy; long taxi lines at every terminal but the taxis generally first arrived at terminal 1. The driver told me taxis are more likely to stop at terminal 1 because they get paid more as it’s the furthest.

To get to the embassy suites on 17th it was $18 on the taxi meter; no credit card fee.  Uber was an option with a 6mins wait but was $25.  You could go into uber/Lyft at anytime, edit your “from” to “FLL” and your “to” to the hotel/cruise port to get an idea of price and availability

• Thanks 1

I just looked at reviews on Play Store for Uber and Lyft. Totally shocked at all the negatives. I only had one bad experience where Lyft gave me an arrival time of 5 minutes. Then after 7 minutes canceled on me.

May have to go back to a taxi from FLL to PE to board Edge. 

We also usually use Uber/Lyft and find them plentiful  in FLL and area as well.   Both also have an option that you can book a ride for a specific time in advance.    We  use that option often especially if we have an early flight out of SFO.    One driver we have had a couple times works in SF and grabs these so she can get paid while commuting to work.    She said she can also often pickup a ride from SFO to the City after she drops us off.    Win/Win

I was just playing with Uber and put in a pickup at Embassy Suites on 17th and it show an available car 3 minutes away.

17 hours ago, m8zenblue said:

You got off in March of this year???

Before the Covid shut down, Uber and Lyft regularly invoked surge / high pricing for rides into Port Everglades. Drivers got stuck in the congestion, this making minimal income. The surge pricing made it worth their while..