Ever been on a cruise on Halloween?

Chickadee910

Twice, sort of. The first time the ship crossed the International Date Line, so technically, October 31 didn't happen. Nothing was done. The second time was a transatlantic from Europe, which had just boarded that day. Again, nothing was done. 
I understand that Halloween isn't a big deal in Europe, so that may have been part of the reason. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, woodworker&knitter said:

I don’t know what they will do this year, but in previous years they had a costume contest and a party in the Crow’s Nest

No more parties in the Crow's nest, that's long gone..

Last was Westerdam 2017 on a transatlantic -- sea day after leaving Cadiz, Spain.

There was a great costume party in the BB King Blues venue.  It was so much fun that I bought the photo of us taken at the party -- which I'd post here except we look much too lit up.  lol

Really fun party.  I suppose it depends on the ship.

• Like 2

Ancient history, the Prinsendam's Halloween party was poorly attended in 2012, the small group of participants was mostly cruise staff. It was after 9:00 PM, most of my fellow passengers were in bed.

'

I have been on other lines twice for Halloween and they did nothing.  I was quite disappointed but dressed for dinner anyway.  My sister was mortified but Halloween is a lot of fun. (I was only dressed as a witch and it pretty much looked like any black dress except the silver spider webs drawn with fabric paint)

• Like 1

On the Nieuw Amsterdam 2010 lots of decorations and costumes all day, a parade around the ship, and a big party in what was then the dance club.  I don't remember pumpkin carving but probably!   Looking forward to the Rotterdam first sailing October 20.  Maybe they'll roll out all the party gear!  

!

On 8/1/2021 at 9:49 PM, RuthC said:

I understand that Halloween isn't a big deal in Europe, so that may have been part of the reason. 

We were in Venice for Halloween 2019 and saw lots of costumes throughout the city. First the young ones, who went from store to store to trick & treat, then later, the young adults were out & about in full costume. And alcohol, of course! We were surprised, because we also didn't think that it was "a thing" in Europe, but then Venice is different...

On 8/1/2021 at 7:51 PM, Chickadee910 said:

We will be on the new Europe to ft. Lauderdale cruise October 30 to November 14 and wondering what Holland does for Halloween.

Check for holiday closings around All Saints' Day on November 1. The archaeology museum in Naples was closed on November 2, because it was open on All Saints Day. Cruisers who had booked an excursion that was supposed to visit the museum were sorely vexed.

We were on the Koningsdam Halloween 2019.  I honestly don't remember what they did, if anything, around the ship.  

But there was a terrific thunder and lightening storm while we watched "Hocus Pocus" around the pool that night.  It sure added to the atmosphere!

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 5:51 PM, Chickadee910 said:

We will be on the new Europe to ft. Lauderdale cruise October 30 to November 14 and wondering what Holland does for Halloween.

We did a Panama Canal cruise over Halloween one year.  There was a pumpkin carving contest, and a costume contest.  And a Halloween party.  I don't recall anything else.

Now, as to whether those things will still happen under COVID precautions, who knows?

Only one Halloween cruise experience for me, however the appropriate public rooms were decorated for the event.  The MDR menu that evening had "Halloween" type descriptions of the selections available.  Some guests wore costumes; some wore masks; I think the majority of us did not.