Live and life from Nieuw Amsterdam's third Alaska sailing

Copper10-8

7 hours ago, NavArch64 said:

I asked the Captain yesterday about the CDC CSO color codes. I received a sort of answer. The implication was that the NAdam Yellow was due to incoming crew in 7 day quarantine. We had 3 below us ... we on deck 5 fwd ... they below us on deck 4 fwd. We spoke all week over the balcony railing.

thanks.  That explains a bit.  Much appreciated 👍 

6 hours ago, zelker said:

@Copper10-8 John - when you have a chance sometime during the week, would you stop by the spa and ask them what the masking requirements are, if any, if you're doing the Relaxation Package (so using that pool, heated loungers, etc.).   Thank you!  Barb

So Barb, just called the Spa and asked your question verbatim to the manager. His response; no masks required on the heated loungers and in the hydro pool, providing you are fully vaccinated which, of course, all of us have to be in order to sail on the dam ships. Hope that answers your inquiry

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

So Barb, just called the Spa and asked your question verbatim to the manager. His response; no masks required on the heated loungers and in the hydro pool, providing you are fully vaccinated which, of course, all of us have to be in order to sail on the dam ships. Hope that answers your inquiry

It most definitely does, John.  Thank you! 😊

• Like 1

Our Saturday morning started with the complimentary breakfast in their second floor "Lido-type" buffet area (they also have chef preparing omelets, and the like). Let's just say it was a bit of a "grab and run" without being chased by the cops or as Sheriff Buford T. Justice so aptly put it in the original (and still the best) Smokey and the Bandit: "I'm in hot pursuit, or don't you hear good" First of all, in this particular ES, that breakfast we're discussing ends at 0900 hrs! What, on a Saturday? But yes! So, knowing that beforehand, we dutifully presented ourselves at 0830 hrs. but alas, it was already crowded, with lots of minors running around in various directions.

Anywho, we found a nice seat at the railing with a splendid ocean view, I mean view of the downstairs lobby, which I guarded with a steely eyed look that would chase away Dracula looking for fresh plasma, while the child bride made a run for it to return with a plate of scrambled eggs, small potatoes, a couple of little wieners, some real Starbucks coffee, and a complete set of clear plastic wrapped eating utensils held together by a paper napkin. She took her seat and it was my turn to run the gambit. Make a long story, thankfully shorter, we both had a breakfast that got us ready for the day.

The next task at around 1120 hrs was to secure transportation to Smith Cove/Pier 91 so the friendly dude at the front desk called us a cab, yellow in color. Up showed a cabbie in a Toyota Prius which now seems to have fully taken the place of the good old (and much larger) Ford Crown Vic. Now, let it be known that we are travelling with one Samsonite hard case each of the larger variety, a folded garment bag that contains, yes, get ready for this, my suit, a couple of shirts, a pair of dockers and two pairs of shoes, one dress (shoe, no I don't wear dresses) and a loafer type (shoe, not a lazy dude). 

The cabbie opens his already small Prius trunk and proceeds to attempt to fold our two hard cases into said limited space. Shaking my noggin, I placed our garment bag upright in his front pax seat. Finally realizing he was fighting a lost cause, he asks Maria "can she sit in the middle of the rear seat" so that he could move forward his left rear seat thereby attempting to gain more living space for of pair of Samsonites in his Mickey Mouse trunk. Now, I have no probs having my lovely wife practically sit on my lap in the backseat of a Japanese-designed smallish model T, absolutely not, he says with a smirk

However, now having been able to successfully close and secure his hatchback lid, our driver takes his rightful space behind the tiny steering wheel and in the drivers seat only to come to the realization that his automatic shifter is stuck in park because those clever Japanese Toyota engineers don't want him to drive their beautiful little Prius with a forcibly secured hatchback. Our driver, realizing the grandiosity of his growing issue, subsequently utters a, still to us unknown, verb in his native language and tells us "No go, do not pass go, but wait, he can order us a second cab" which will transport, by themselves, our by now highly agitated and folded up, although not designed for that, pair of Samsonite hard cases. I would have to compensate that second cab and cabbie of course.

By now, I had enough of this failed experiment, uttered my own verb in my original native language - pretty sure the dude did not speak Dutch - and told him to very carefully, offload our belongings. So, five minutes latter, a yellow cab mini-van - now we're talking - arrives who wound up transporting us and our luggage family to Smith Cove where Nieuw A was waiting for us

To be followed.............

May be an image of outdoors

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Our Saturday morning started with the complimentary breakfast in their second floor "Lido-type" buffet area (they also have chef preparing omelets, and the like). Let's just say it was a bit of a "grab and run" without being chased by the cops or as Sheriff Buford T. Justice so aptly put it in the original (and still the best) Smokey and the Bandit: "I'm in hot pursuit, or don't you hear good" First of all, in this particular ES, that breakfast we're discussing ends at 0900 hrs! What, on a Saturday? But yes! So, knowing that beforehand, we dutifully presented ourselves at 0830 hrs. but alas, it was already crowded, with lots of minors running around in various directions.

Anywho, we found a nice seat at the railing with a splendid ocean view, I mean view of the downstairs lobby, which I guarded with a steely eyed look that would chase away Dracula looking for fresh plasma, while the child bride made a run for it to return with a plate of scrambled eggs, small potatoes, a couple of little wieners, some real Starbucks coffee, and a complete set of clear plastic wrapped eating utensils held together by a paper napkin. She took her seat and it was my turn to run the gambit. Make a long story, thankfully shorter, we both had a breakfast that got us ready for the day.

The next task at around 1120 hrs was to secure transportation to Smith Cove/Pier 91 so the friendly dude at the front desk called us a cab, yellow in color. Up showed a cabbie in a Toyota Prius which now seems to have fully taken the place of the good old (and much larger) Ford Crown Vic. Now, let it be know that we are travelling with one Samsonite hard case each of the larger variety, a folded garment bag that contains, yes, get ready for this, my suit, a couple of shirts, a pair of dockers and two pairs of shoes, one dress (shoe, no I don't wear dresses) and a loafer type. 

The cabbie opens his already small Prius trunk and proceeds to attempt to fold our two hard cases into said limited space. Shaking my noggin, I placed our garment bag upright in his front pax seat. Finally realizing he was fighting a lost cause, he asks Maria "can she sit in the middle rear seat" so that he could move forward his left rear seat thereby attempting to gain more living space four of pair of Samsonites in his Mickey Mouse trunk. Now, I have no probs having my lovely wife practically sit on my lap in the backseat of a Japanese-designed smallish model T, absolutely not, he says with a smirk

However, now having been able to successfully close and secure his hatchback lid, our driver takes his rightful space behind the tiny steering wheel and in the drivers seat only to come to the realization that his automatic shifter is stuck in park because those clever Japanese Toyota engineers don't want him to drive their beautiful little Prius with a forcibly secured hatchback. our driver, realizing the grandiosity of his growing issue, subsequently utters a, still to us unknown, verb in his native language and tells us "No go, do not pass go, but he can order us a second cab" which will transport, by themselves, our by now highly agitated and folded up, although not designed for that, pair of Samsonite hard cases. I would have to compensate that second cab and cabbie of course.

By now, I had enough of this failed experiment, uttered my own verb in my original native language - pretty sure the dude did not speak Dutch - and told him to very carefully, offload our belongings. So, five minutes latter, a yellow cab mini-van - now we're talking - who wound up transporting us and our luggage family to Smith Cove where Nieuw A was waiting for us

This is one of those times we need a "Geez..." button.

Edited by VintageGeo
Oops
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

The next task at around 1120 hrs was to secure transportation to Smith Cove/Pier 91 so the friendly dude at the front desk called us a cab, yellow in color. Up showed a cabbie in a Toyota Prius which now seems to have fully taken the place of the good old (and much larger) Ford Crown Vic. Now, let it be known that we are travelling with one Samsonite hard case each of the larger variety, a folded garment bag that contains, yes, get ready for this, my suit, a couple of shirts, a pair of dockers and two pairs of shoes, one dress (shoe, no I don't wear dresses) and a loafer type (shoe, not a lazy dude). 

The cabbie opens his already small Prius trunk and proceeds to attempt to fold our two hard cases into said limited space. Shaking my noggin, I placed our garment bag upright in his front pax seat. Finally realizing he was fighting a lost cause, he asks Maria "can she sit in the middle of the rear seat" so that he could move forward his left rear seat thereby attempting to gain more living space for of pair of Samsonites in his Mickey Mouse trunk. Now, I have no probs having my lovely wife practically sit on my lap in the backseat of a Japanese-designed smallish model T, absolutely not, he says with a smirk

However, now having been able to successfully close and secure his hatchback lid, our driver takes his rightful space behind the tiny steering wheel and in the drivers seat only to come to the realization that his automatic shifter is stuck in park because those clever Japanese Toyota engineers don't want him to drive their beautiful little Prius with a forcibly secured hatchback. Our driver, realizing the grandiosity of his growing issue, subsequently utters a, still to us unknown, verb in his native language and tells us "No go, do not pass go, but wait, he can order us a second cab" which will transport, by themselves, our by now highly agitated and folded up, although not designed for that, pair of Samsonite hard cases. I would have to compensate that second cab and cabbie of course.

By now, I had enough of this failed experiment, uttered my own verb in my original native language - pretty sure the dude did not speak Dutch - and told him to very carefully, offload our belongings. So, five minutes latter, a yellow cab mini-van - now we're talking - arrives who wound up transporting us and our luggage family to Smith Cove where Nieuw A was waiting for us

Always a great start..een klootzak in een taxi blijft een klootzak in een taxi..

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

If I had known I had to take off my belt and my  watch total time from handing bags to longshoreman to being on board would have been 12 minutes but I believe 15 minutes was all time best!

By 2:00 PM we were unpacked and enjoying our Verandha. Our next door neighbors are the Pinnacle Suite which is probably as close as we ever get.

We are in our Happy Place!

We were on a couple of cruises where the couple in the Pinnacle Suite would throw a cocktail party one night of the cruise, so I can say I have been in it a couple of times! 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Our Saturday morning started with the complimentary breakfast in their second floor "Lido-type" buffet area (they also have chef preparing omelets, and the like).

<snip>

Oh my gosh, got halfway through and then started over, reading it out loud to my hubbie. Talk about laugh out loud......................................!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boytjie said:

We were on a couple of cruises where the couple in the Pinnacle Suite would throw a cocktail party one night of the cruise, so I can say I have been in it a couple of times! 😄

We have also been invitees!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Boytjie said:

@Copper10-8 John, I notice the dam ships sail close by Port Angeles coming in and going out of Port Angeles. Do they pick up/drop off the pilots there?

image.png.27e57c9eb20138f00ad0b187b9dd9eaf.png

Yes, they do.  I happened to be tracking the ship on the prior cruise and saw the pilot boat come out and then do away from the ship.  I had been wondering why she was tracking towards Port Angeles so kept watching.  There's a webcam in the harbor there that I was watching too but the ship never got close enough to catch a glimpse.

Linda R.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

I LOL'd.  Mainly because I drive a Prius and know what a nightmare it is trying to get things in the trunk. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Love following you post, John, and I’m very glad you didn’t put those Samsonite bags in a separate cab. Hope you and Maria have a fabulous cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1