The Daily for Saturday August 07, 2021

richwmn

16 minutes ago, msmayor said:

We refer to the 'back room' in our finished basement as The Baseball Card Room.  I'm guessing, conservatively, there are 70-80k cards in there.

When our kids were very little, he put sets together for each of them (along with his own), so there are a number of years where we have three complete sets.  Of course, he didn't buy them complete...he bought individual packs and put them together himself so there are a LOT of doubles/triples also sorted and boxed.  Now that he's retired, he plans to go through all of it, sell the stuff he doesn't need and fill in the missing.

Card collecting is experiencing a surge...some big stores won't even carry them any more because of the fights over what goes on the shelves.

Yes, this sounds familiar, DH has about the same number of cards.  During our Navy days he went to card shows, but with moving around (and then discovering cruising!) that fell by the wayside.  I shouldn't talk, one of the other guestrooms is filled with Christmas decorations 😉  

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. I like campfires but haven't sat around one in years. Yes to beer, although I don't drink it very often. I like Belgian beers. And no to clowns.

Great quote.

I'll pass on the meal and drink; the wine sounds good but too pricey.

I have been to Hubbard Glacier, but not Glacier Bay.

It's hot here today. I have to find a time to mow the lawn over the next couple of days.

@rafinmd Glad you got to post, even if it had to be in segments.

@grapau27 Enjoy watching football. My friends in Germany are big football fans.

@aliaschief Have a wonderful cruise!

@mamaofami Enjoy your daughter's visit.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad you got to watch the ceremony; the next best thing to being there.

@Crazy For Cats A safe trip home. I agree you hit the sweet spot for your cruise.

@ger_77 It sounds like a fun time at your house! Enjoy those GS's.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

Drinking a liter at Hofbrauhaus Munich, Germany

1082108224_0041-MyliterbeeratHofbrauhaus.thumb.JPG.4e8c7acd9f417956e8c1b2597d7791ed.JPG

• Like 25

Hello Everybody

@bennybear, your photos are wonderful today.  Clowns freak me out, but I'd love to go to that museum.   @rafinmd, thank you for putting in the time to get past the censors.  Your effort is appreciated!   @StLouisCruisers, you must be very proud of your graduate.  Handsome & smart, too. 

@aliaschief, crab legs -- yum!  Perfect way to start the vacation!

And @Crazy For Cats...gotta start planning the next one.  It's so sad to be at the end of a cruise.  Have a safe trip home.

@dfish, you always find the best versions of every recipe.  I bet you're a great cook, since you clearly have an eye for how things work with a recipe.  Wonderful stuff!

Thank yoouuuu to all Contributors to the Daily.  Prayers for those on the care list and a toast to those celebrating.  Hope the weekend is a pleasant one.  Stay safe!

• Like 24

Good morning, all! I have no idea if cc will post this,  since it won’t let me like anyone’s post this morning. Campfires and beer certainly go together, but I’m not sure how clowns fit into that mix. I’ve cruised Glacier Bay. It was amazing, but my pics are all elsewhere so I will enjoy everyone else’s.

Last night we had real rain for the first time since mid June. It was wonderful. Of course we weren’t prepared for it and things got soaked outside, but nothing that won’t dry off.

I had a very disturbing scam call yesterday. About an hour after DD left for work, I got a call with a poor connection from a young woman who was sobbing saying Mom, Mom I’ve been in a car accident and I’m hurt and need help. She sounded funny because her nose was broken, among other things, but it was close enough it could have been DD. As she went on though, things didn’t add up. She said she was at the police station (not the term locals use here) and was injured (the hospital is a block away, they wouldn’t hold an injured person in lock up)  and this was her only phone call and the lawyer was on his way in. (Small town - she’d have used his first name, and how did she contact him if I was her only phone call?) I calmed down and asked her what her name was. She sobbed Mom, Mom, it’s me! When I asked a second time, she hung up. I immediately called DDs cell phone (no answer), and then called the local detachment. Of course they had no injured young women in their holding cell. I’ve always wondered how anyone falls for these scams, but the  people who do this really know what they’re doing, and have cover stories for all possibilities. As soon as you start to think, you see the holes in their stories, but they’re amazingly good at keeping you off balance. It was very real and very upsetting at the time! I’m sure the ‘lawyer’ was about to arrive and need a credit card deposit over the phone, but we didn’t get that far. 
So then I went outside with a T-shirt and some plants and did some leaf pounding. It’s amazing how therapeutic hitting things with a hammer

can be!😁

Happy Saturday, as the Nieuw Amsterdam gets ready for her third Alaska cruise on behalf of all her sister BHB’s!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone!  Sorry to hear about Roy's post being objectionable but I'm sure it's just one of those "who knows why" type of things.  Thanks Rich for your work today putting the Daily together for us.  We should call you the publisher.  

I am sad because we can't be in Cincinnati today to watch our grandson graduate 15 months late due to Covid, but DD sent me a link so we can watch it live from home.  Ceremonies begin at 9 am eastern.  I hope we don't have any technical difficulties today!

Sending my best wishes to all our CC friends who will be boarding Nieuw Amsterdam in Seattle.  I can't wait to see how their cruise goes this week.  I'm also hoping to hear from Jeannie (Pescado Amarillo) on her blog since she hasn't been able to post for several days.  She will be on the Majestic Princess next so no doubt will have some type of internet package there.

Like many on here we've been to Glacier Bay several times and enjoyed its natural beauty each time.  Seems appropriate it is port destination of the day during the early weeks of the 2021 Alaska season.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKHE7MxJiwV0rLtlbJ2lhWR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Sandi, I’m so sorry you couldn’t be there in person for the graduation. I’m glad you could see it live on the link, and even if you’re feeling well you don’t know if you might be a carrier, so it really was the best choice. Have some wine.🍷

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Sandi, I’m so sorry you couldn’t be there in person for the graduation. I’m glad you could see it live on the link, and even if you’re feeling well you don’t know if you might be a carrier, so it really was the best choice. Have some wine.🍷

I love the wine suggestion!  Of course I don't need a disappointment in my life to try some wine.  That just comes naturally.  

And I'm very glad you are too smart to fall for the scam call.  I bet they fool quite a few people every day.  

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Hello Everybody

@bennybear, your photos are wonderful today.  Clowns freak me out, but I'd love to go to that museum.   @rafinmd, thank you for putting in the time to get past the censors.  Your effort is appreciated!   @StLouisCruisers, you must be very proud of your graduate.  Handsome & smart, too. 

@aliaschief, crab legs -- yum!  Perfect way to start the vacation!

And @Crazy For Cats...gotta start planning the next one.  It's so sad to be at the end of a cruise.  Have a safe trip home.

@dfish, you always find the best versions of every recipe.  I bet you're a great cook, since you clearly have an eye for how things work with a recipe.  Wonderful stuff!

Thank yoouuuu to all Contributors to the Daily.  Prayers for those on the care list and a toast to those celebrating.  Hope the weekend is a pleasant one.  Stay safe!

Thank you!  I think he's a cutie and smart, too!

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

Hanging out at our son’s house before he takes us to the ship.  Our group doesn’t board until 2:40 pm.  Can’t wait!

Pat

Sounds exciting.

I hope your cruise is absolutely fantastic.

Graham.

• Like 9

Good afternoon, and as always thanks for the Daily, the lists, and the drinks, food, and fun!

Welcome home to those returning and Bon Voyage for those about to sail. We're not jealous, you see, we always have a slight green tinge......👽

We love seeing all of the pics everyone posts, and thought we'd share what we saw on what is so far our only visit to Glacier Bay.

Our day started out a bit gloomy

A.thumb.JPG.bcb94ae3349fca07b89146d47e851ae8.JPG

Which was fitting for the mountain goats on Gloomy Knob

B.thumb.JPG.34ef1b2321fc1f8c2d29486732534735.JPG

Johns Hopkins Glacier

C.thumb.JPG.a8134b00f05d4cfec115961b4cc6ac34.JPG

Margerie Glacier

D.thumb.JPG.4dd7e151a76f1e2dfbe8363d2625f90b.JPG

Lori with Margerie and Grand Pacific Glaciers

E.thumb.jpg.be9d82d550f1fa538172e84420bc22b5.jpg

As we sailed out the day got brighter

F.thumb.JPG.2f011fab4d4bed8458806a3ffcef65b9.JPG

G.thumb.JPG.92e75c712e4fd877b4fc3c0c312c2dd0.JPG

For weeks we watched the Noordam on the southbound cruise as it would leave Glacier Bay and do a loop out through Cross Sound into the Gulf of Alaska before making it's way on toward Haines. On this evening we found out why. It was a glorious sunset.

H.thumb.JPG.371af92e40f88663ed3969136ac6fb93.JPG

Now we're ready to settle in and enjoy another live cruise report!

Our prayers go out to all with a need and cheers to those with a cause.

Stay safe and healthy, and enjoy the weekend!

Lori & George

• Like 29

36 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! I have no idea if cc will post this,  since it won’t let me like anyone’s post this morning. Campfires and beer certainly go together, but I’m not sure how clowns fit into that mix. I’ve cruised Glacier Bay. It was amazing, but my pics are all elsewhere so I will enjoy everyone else’s.

Last night we had real rain for the first time since mid June. It was wonderful. Of course we weren’t prepared for it and things got soaked outside, but nothing that won’t dry off.

I had a very disturbing scam call yesterday. About an hour after DD left for work, I got a call with a poor connection from a young woman who was sobbing saying Mom, Mom I’ve been in a car accident and I’m hurt and need help. She sounded funny because her nose was broken, among other things, but it was close enough it could have been DD. As she went on though, things didn’t add up. She said she was at the police station (not the term locals use here) and was injured (the hospital is a block away, they wouldn’t hold an injured person in lock up)  and this was her only phone call and the lawyer was on his way in. (Small town - she’d have used his first name, and how did she contact him if I was her only phone call?) I calmed down and asked her what her name was. She sobbed Mom, Mom, it’s me! When I asked a second time, she hung up. I immediately called DDs cell phone (no answer), and then called the local detachment. Of course they had no injured young women in their holding cell. I’ve always wondered how anyone falls for these scams, but the  people who do this really know what they’re doing, and have cover stories for all possibilities. As soon as you start to think, you see the holes in their stories, but they’re amazingly good at keeping you off balance. It was very real and very upsetting at the time! I’m sure the ‘lawyer’ was about to arrive and need a credit card deposit over the phone, but we didn’t get that far. 
So then I went outside with a T-shirt and some plants and did some leaf pounding. It’s amazing how therapeutic hitting things with a hammer

can be!😁

Happy Saturday, as the Nieuw Amsterdam gets ready for her third Alaska cruise on behalf of all her sister BHB’s!

We get regular scam phone calls and texts in England  but this scam call you received was absolutely disgusting.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I was also in Glacier Bay in June of 2019. Here are a few pictures of that trip. I have seen Glacier Bay in every weather from bright sunshine and surprisingly warm to freezing cold with rain and sleet (and everyone trying to keep their cameras wrapped in plastic). 

St Louis Sal

F8CD3650-14D9-48E6-A94F-B52FCFCEDCCE.jpeg

9DE1F07D-C3AE-4DB9-A4B7-7A5BD94573AF.jpeg

BAC27E85-FA6E-4417-BE4F-61A41247F851.jpeg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

This group is so informative.  We are primarily Princess cruisers, but looking forward eagerly to our second HAL cruise in November.  Our first was just before the big shutdown, and we had one cancelled for this past spring.  It turns out that HAL suits us very well.  Princess has been drifting more and more toward a mega-cruise party, and we were missing many of the comforts of traditional cruising.  

• Like 24

Welcome @Kay S!   We have many happy memories onboard Princess ships, but their new-builds are just too big for us.  Nice that you've joined us here!

@Horizon chaser 1957...that call must have been terribly unnerving.  Something like that is just so...violating.  I'm sorry you had to experience that.

I've been getting awful text messages lately.  I can't delete them off my phone quickly enough.  

This probably should have been in two separate posts, but it'll be lucky today if just the one goes through.  My "likes" are spotty today, too, as some of you have mentioned.

Off to make strawberry ice cream, for DGD....

• Like 19

Good afternoon, all, and welcome @Kay S.  I read the Daily news while we were at the mall having a coffee, but didn't post.   My pictures are much like the others, except no amazing calvings!   We did have a fun cruise in 2015 with DSIL and her hubby, and here's the proof!

1490623076_DSC_2363591GLACIERBAYU.thumb.jpg.a0bf9ad521a10aeb437de0b8a4df24f8.jpg

I am finding CC is being very slow to upload  photos, and then even when it does , I have to hover the cursor over the image before it will "Insert".  Also it takes an age before I can see a video.  I imagine the upgrades to CC are including lots more security, and that is why everything is taking longer.  

It rained here last night, too, a very welcome relief to clear the air but not enough to make much of  a difference to the reservoir, I think.  Most of my plants are in small beds or pots in the courtyard, and everything is looking desiccated.  I do water every day, too!  Daylilies are over, hostas are finishing up and only the petunias are really happy.  They have taken over. 

IMG_5829.thumb.JPG.bbfab19ba1135abaa35398bbfa9ac199.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 28

23 minutes ago, Kay S said:

This group is so informative.  We are primarily Princess cruisers, but looking forward eagerly to our second HAL cruise in November.  Our first was just before the big shutdown, and we had one cancelled for this past spring.  It turns out that HAL suits us very well.  Princess has been drifting more and more toward a mega-cruise party, and we were missing many of the comforts of traditional cruising.  

Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 6