Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Currently on Discovery & when boarding had the same time each night in Skagway. After boarding checked DMW (only on TV because app not working) to learn that the time was the same but now in Ketchikan. Today it changed our time to 1820 for tonight & tomorrow then back to 1800. No notifications about any of these changes. Unable to get same table & server despite it not being used during our 1:20 dinner.

Certainly far from the promises made by Princess about DMW…it was much better before DMW! And is much worse than DMW last Fall on Majestic.

Our reservations are all over the place too. Varies from 5 pm to 5:40 pm. In and out of both dining rooms (Is Juneau dining totally out of the mix?) Definitely no chance of getting same table and staff. At this point apparently even if I got the same times pre-cruise, it's not a guarantee. If they are giving your party a private table, I guess that's a plus. It could be worse. You could be waving to your buds across the room. I've decided not to fret as long as we're together.

If I were to tweak the DMW app, there would be a dedicated button for a traditional dining experience and the powers that be know not to mess around with it. What do you think the percentage of cruisers would opt for that? The cruise lines seem to think people LOVE the freedom to eat whenever they please, yet all of the complaints I read here are similar to yours (and mine) I rarely see anyone loving the new system.

Oh... and one more thing. A few years ago, pre covid - we did a family cruise of 30 people on Celebrity. They gave us three tables of 10 in the back of the dining room out of everyone's way.  Could Princess handle that now? I kind of doubt it. Dinner was the only part of the day where all of us came together. Had they not been able to accommodate us in that manner, we would have looked at a different line.

• Like 1

Sorry if this kind of question has been asked before - just started following the board. After months of problems with the Medallion App (and admittedly a lot of procrastination when I could have called princess sooner), I find that my bookings for a private table of 3 in Concerto on Regal in a cruise in mid July can only be accommodated by splitting us across separate tables (presumably 2+1 as 1+1+1 would surely be ridiculous) at any time except 5.40pm (too early) and 8.40pm (too late). I've accepted a set of 8pm bookings for this split table every night but hoping to sort this out on board. Has anyone any experience of this as in seeking to get a DMW booking changed on board especially re putting 3 people together rather than separate? We are all in the same cabin after all! I have always found Princess Maitre D's very helpful with getting you the table you would like BUT this will be my first time since covid and first time since it all had to be done on the app through DMW. Any info appreciated. 😀

4 hours ago, STCKcruises said:

Sorry if this kind of question has been asked before - just started following the board. After months of problems with the Medallion App (and admittedly a lot of procrastination when I could have called princess sooner), I find that my bookings for a private table of 3 in Concerto on Regal in a cruise in mid July can only be accommodated by splitting us across separate tables (presumably 2+1 as 1+1+1 would surely be ridiculous) at any time except 5.40pm (too early) and 8.40pm (too late). I've accepted a set of 8pm bookings for this split table every night but hoping to sort this out on board. Has anyone any experience of this as in seeking to get a DMW booking changed on board especially re putting 3 people together rather than separate? We are all in the same cabin after all! I have always found Princess Maitre D's very helpful with getting you the table you would like BUT this will be my first time since covid and first time since it all had to be done on the app through DMW. Any info appreciated. 😀

I’ve been told that this is an automatic function of the app when it can’t find a table for three or add you all on to a larger table. BTDT with our party of 4. I called CS and he had access to the same configurations I saw on the app. Splitting a party of 3 is ridiculous. Even worse than splitting a party of 4. My suggestion since you are fairly far out is to keep checking back. People move tables all the time and that can open a table for three. Only you can decide if eating all together at 5:40 is worse than being split up. You can select that and keep looking for a better time. Perhaps another dining room will open up. It’s also quite possible to have an understanding maitre d’ who can fix on the ship if you’re willing to wait. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, STCKcruises said:

Tagging @cruisingram1 as well.  

The biggest problem of late that I see with DMW is that the Princess team is still doggedly sticking to only releasing one DR in advance of the voyage.  Still the case even though bookings are up.  The original WHY was most likely due to the newness of the System, etc.  The current WHY is a mystery, but could be partly due to how buggy it is, how it cannot properly handle TD experience - who knows? 

That said, some posters have reported for some bookings (have not seen one for REGAL as yet), that DMW does eventually offer additional DR space.  Sorry, but I don't think about 3 months out is all that far ahead.  Obviously there is more demand than spaces allotted.  Also the DR in DMW - Concerto - is the one with Club Class dining so that takes away a chunk of the real estate for regular bookings.  

Supposedly, only Platinum and above can be booking tables ahead of final payment.  Although you can fully pay for your cruise anytime, most will pay when due and that date is fast approaching (90 days).  At that time, any and all can go after dining space.  So, is that when they add another DR?  Please report back if you are checking often in DMW.  Perhaps they didn't want to release all DR space so the priority bookings wouldn't take all the prime times???  Who knows again?

Are you Platinum or Elite?  I am not even sure they are controlling that anymore.  I am suspicious of at least one of our voyages where sales appear low and private dining space is almost non-existent.  Can there be that many Platinums and Elites booked??  Who knows?

Another thing is that I have yet to hear/read of all three DR's being made available in DMW.  To-date most all voyages reported on Cruise Critic are under-capacity and they are only using two DR's.  Typically, the Aft Deck 6 gets opened up and this is also where they are attempting to do TD.

We are on REGAL as well (OCT).  I have been working at DMW since it was first released.  No additional DR space was ever there.  I don't understand it.  We are also on an ISLAND voyage - yes, a smaller ship, but highly sold out and there is still Private table space for 4 and only one DR in the App.  Go figure.

If nothing happens with availability in DMW, I would suggest finding the MD/DRO or 2IC and let them know your problems in getting setup and see what they can do.  I am sure there will be a solution. 

DMW and what it is doing with res requests is a black box and there is some sort of human intervention goes on which is also a mystery.  But let's just say that Same Table & Waitstaff is largely a myth and DMW cannot properly deliver on that, so the ship personnel have to intervene if they can.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The biggest problem of late that I see with DMW is that the Princess team is still doggedly sticking to only releasing one DR in advance of the voyage.  Still the case even though bookings are up.  The original WHY was most likely due to the newness of the System, etc.  The current WHY is a mystery, but could be partly due to how buggy it is, how it cannot properly handle TD experience - who knows? 

That said, some posters have reported for some bookings (have not seen one for REGAL as yet), that DMW does eventually offer additional DR space.  Sorry, but I don't think about 3 months out is all that far ahead.  Obviously there is more demand than spaces allotted.  Also the DR in DMW - Concerto - is the one with Club Class dining so that takes away a chunk of the real estate for regular bookings.  

Supposedly, only Platinum and above can be booking tables ahead of final payment.  Although you can fully pay for your cruise anytime, most will pay when due and that date is fast approaching (90 days).  At that time, any and all can go after dining space.  So, is that when they add another DR?  Please report back if you are checking often in DMW.  Perhaps they didn't want to release all DR space so the priority bookings wouldn't take all the prime times???  Who knows again?

Are you Platinum or Elite?  I am not even sure they are controlling that anymore.  I am suspicious of at least one of our voyages where sales appear low and private dining space is almost non-existent.  Can there be that many Platinums and Elites booked??  Who knows?

Another thing is that I have yet to hear/read of all three DR's being made available in DMW.  To-date most all voyages reported on Cruise Critic are under-capacity and they are only using two DR's.  Typically, the Aft Deck 6 gets opened up and this is also where they are attempting to do TD.

We are on REGAL as well (OCT).  I have been working at DMW since it was first released.  No additional DR space was ever there.  I don't understand it.  We are also on an ISLAND voyage - yes, a smaller ship, but highly sold out and there is still Private table space for 4 and only one DR in the App.  Go figure.

If nothing happens with availability in DMW, I would suggest finding the MD/DRO or 2IC and let them know your problems in getting setup and see what they can do.  I am sure there will be a solution. 

DMW and what it is doing with res requests is a black box and there is some sort of human intervention goes on which is also a mystery.  But let's just say that Same Table & Waitstaff is largely a myth and DMW cannot properly deliver on that, so the ship personnel have to intervene if they can.

Me being anal retentive person that I am, I went ahead and downloaded/installed the Princess ap for our Alaska cruise May 2023.  I was able to link our booking with the other couple we are traveling with and went ahead and reserved our dining times.  We selected 6pm in the Michelangelo DR on the Crown Princess for every day.  Not sure if it will be changed, but so far it has stayed the same.

• Like 1

We sail in 8 days, and I have yet to be able to complete the "Dining" options on the App.  Have also tried through their website, but it immediately gives an error message.  So far all I have gotten through is Fast, Relaxed or Slow dining option and Table, Wall, who cares option.  No times, no dining room options offered yet.

What I do know if this.  No matter what happens, in virtually any dining room, I will be able to show up when I show up and will get seated and fed. Life is good!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 7:32 PM, Thrak said:

Princess Dine My Way:

How to shoot yourself in the foot while attempting to apologize |  AlissaJean.com

Agree.  

Just got off the Sky TA cruise Monday (3/28)

Had reservations for 5:20 in the MDR every evening......Every night we had to wonder if we would get our same table, same waiters.  Asked the assist mgr if we could just go to table 254 every evening and she said no guarantee.  

So every evening we would queue up and beg, request, plead for table 254.  And scan that useless medallion. We got it every night and it comes with two great waiters but we have to fight for it.

What's wrong with this?  

The one major enjoyment on a cruise is dinner and I have to swim upstream to enjoy that.  

We are "one and done" with Princess.  Back to Holland America Line. 

Our primary reasons for this are:   1). The Medallion app (pre cruise is a nightmare and during cruise it does not do anything we need or does not work). 2). Dine My Way....because it is really "dine their way". 3). the food in the lido buffet is not good and getting silverware, water and tea are too challenging 4). the basic balcony stateroom is bare...there is only one straight back chair for sitting...no ice unless you ask...no wine glass unless you ask....no ink pen...LOL.  no bathrobe.....and a curtain for a shower door.....very sparse

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Agree.  

Just got off the Sky TA cruise Monday (3/28)

Had reservations for 5:20 in the MDR every evening......Every night we had to wonder if we would get our same table, same waiters.  Asked the assist mgr if we could just go to table 254 every evening and she said no guarantee.  

So every evening we would queue up and beg, request, plead for table 254.  And scan that useless medallion. We got it every night and it comes with two great waiters but we have to fight for it.

What's wrong with this?  

The one major enjoyment on a cruise is dinner and I have to swim upstream to enjoy that.  

We are "one and done" with Princess.  Back to Holland America Line. 

Our primary reasons for this are:   1). The Medallion app (pre cruise is a nightmare and during cruise it does not do anything we need or does not work). 2). Dine My Way....because it is really "dine their way". 3). the food in the lido buffet is not good and getting silverware, water and tea are too challenging 4). the basic balcony stateroom is bare...there is only one straight back chair for sitting...no ice unless you ask...no wine glass unless you ask....no ink pen...LOL.  no bathrobe.....and a curtain for a shower door.....very sparse

PLEASE share your experience and thoughts with Princess senior mgmt, including John Padgett and Jan Swartz.  Mario Siebaldi is Sr VP Guest Experience.   Anyone at Princess is reached via <first initial><last name>@princesscruises.com.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

PLEASE share your experience and thoughts with Princess senior mgmt, including John Padgett and Jan Swartz.  Mario Siebaldi is Sr VP Guest Experience.   Anyone at Princess is reached via <first initial><last name>@princesscruises.com.

I would also greatly appreciate it if you sent your thoughts to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

It will cost very little time and effort and might possibly help to hammer home the fact that their new (lack of) system is driving away people who might otherwise become loyal Princess cruisers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I would also greatly appreciate it if you sent your thoughts to customerrelations@princesscruises.com

It will cost very little time and effort and might possibly help to hammer home the fact that their new (lack of) system is driving away people who might otherwise become loyal Princess cruisers.

And make sure you both comment inn the DMW and Medallion sections of the survey sent to you after the cruise.  I think the limit is 1000 characters in each section and I used them all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

And make sure you both comment inn the DMW and Medallion sections of the survey sent to you after the cruise.  I think the limit is 1000 characters in each section and I used them all.

You guys should have tagged @GulfShoresCruiser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:32 PM, cruisingram1 said:

I’ve been told that this is an automatic function of the app when it can’t find a table for three or add you all on to a larger table. BTDT with our party of 4. I called CS and he had access to the same configurations I saw on the app. Splitting a party of 3 is ridiculous. Even worse than splitting a party of 4. My suggestion since you are fairly far out is to keep checking back. People move tables all the time and that can open a table for three. Only you can decide if eating all together at 5:40 is worse than being split up. You can select that and keep looking for a better time. Perhaps another dining room will open up. It’s also quite possible to have an understanding maitre d’ who can fix on the ship if you’re willing to wait. 

Many thanks, yes agree it's ridiculous. Think I will need to put my faith in hoping for a sensible and understanding Maitre D - past experience indicates they will do their best.

On 4/2/2022 at 4:31 AM, Steelers36 said:

Many thanks for such a helpful and comprehensive response. We are Elite which is why I didn't really bother about the problems I was having with the app because I thought I was still ahead of the queue anyway since the final payment date was still ahead.

I agree with all you say in your message and will keep trying - I was also amazed that there was only one restaurant available so will see if more come onstream, failing that will speak to someone as soon as we are onboard.

With all the faff of the new covid related stuff, it's just one bit of hassle people could do without IMHO!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I'd love to but find it interesting that we have yet to get our customer survey.  Yes, checked spam.  Seems odd.

I'll do the survey but I've got no interest in emailing the executives.  They should already know all this and seems as though they are doing what they want....Just glad we can go back to Holland America Line and plan to do everything I can to make sure these Princess ways of doing things stay far away from Holland America Line. 

5 minutes ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

I'd love to but find it interesting that we have yet to get our customer survey.  Yes, checked spam.  Seems odd.

I'll do the survey but I've got no interest in emailing the executives.  They should already know all this and seems as though they are doing what they want....Just glad we can go back to Holland America Line and plan to do everything I can to make sure these Princess ways of doing things stay far away from Holland America Line. 

Not the first I have heard not getting a survey.  If we do not get one this Fall, I will send my own custom one to CR dept and ask them to copy the ship.

Not sure you will be able to stop changes to HAL.  Princess is sticking to their guns and either just very slow to accomplish any improvement or figure they know better than we customers.

15 minutes ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

I'd love to but find it interesting that we have yet to get our customer survey.

We got off the Grand on March 25th and had a survey waiting in our email boxes that morning.  I had post cruise travel, then company the day after we returned, and we got 3 additional requests to fill out the survey before I finally had time to fill it out today.  Seems so random that some of us get them, and others don't.

3 hours ago, GulfShoresCruiser said:

Yes, if the top level executives don't know what's happening on the front lines(including pre-cruise) with this app, then it sounds like the front line managers don't want to pass along the bad news. You shouldn't need to wait for survey responses if you have an open line of communication from the operation.

3 hours ago, julie3fan said:

We got off the Grand on March 25th and had a survey waiting in our email boxes that morning.  I had post cruise travel, then company the day after we returned, and we got 3 additional requests to fill out the survey before I finally had time to fill it out today.  Seems so random that some of us get them, and others don't.

We tend to take long cruises: B2B2B, etc. Surveys expire before I get home. Back when Elites got free minutes, there was no way I was going to use my minutes to fill out a survey.

BTW: never got a "reminder".

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure you will be able to stop changes to HAL. 

So far, so good with HAL.....but after cruising Princess, my guard is up and all my efforts will be making sure Holland America continues to be the cruise line for us.  The Princess experience was scary for us. 

I'm VERY late to this DMW thread, unfortunately.  It was only this morning that I realized that Dine My Way is on all the ships now.  When I booked our September cruise on Enchanted Princess, my TA told me that traditional dining is out the window on that ship.  I didn't realize that was the case on the older ships as well. We are on Ruby Princess in 3 weeks. Needless to say, I am unable to make a reservation for dinner on this trip earlier than 8PM.  Most nights the only time available is 8:40.  Is it still possible to just show up and wait to be seated like people used to do for Anytime dining? Is there an assigned dining room for that like there used to be?  Also, I read here that Elite and Platinum can make reservations early--even before final payment.  If that is the case, do you make them on the godforsaken Medallion app? I am unable to see information about any cruise other than the one coming up on the app.  

5 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

I'm VERY late to this DMW thread, unfortunately.  It was only this morning that I realized that Dine My Way is on all the ships now.  When I booked our September cruise on Enchanted Princess, my TA told me that traditional dining is out the window on that ship.  I didn't realize that was the case on the older ships as well. We are on Ruby Princess in 3 weeks. Needless to say, I am unable to make a reservation for dinner on this trip earlier than 8PM.  Most nights the only time available is 8:40.  Is it still possible to just show up and wait to be seated like people used to do for Anytime dining? Is there an assigned dining room for that like there used to be?  Also, I read here that Elite and Platinum can make reservations early--even before final payment.  If that is the case, do you make them on the godforsaken Medallion app? I am unable to see information about any cruise other than the one coming up on the app.  

When you do see times offered, how many different DR's?  They most likely have not loaded all DR's to the App.  But to get what you want, looks like you have to book on board or just show up as a walk up and you get taken care of.  I imagine it will be clearer after boarding where you should go as a walk-up.

6 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

Is there an assigned dining room for that like there used to be? 

Got off the Sky 3/28....

Had 5:20pm MDR reservations for every night. 

Day 1 was seated at horrible tables for 2...but had great waiters.  Spotted a table (254) in the area and on Day 2 when arrived at the MDR asked for that table and got it.  Asked the assistant mgr if we could claim that table for 5:20pm every evening and just go to it. She said no guarantee but might be available and you need to queue every evening.  Every night after we arrived and requested that table.  Sometimes we had to wait while they thought about it and then we would go to it.  Other times they had to ask the higher ups in the MDR and we got it.  So each evening we got it but we wasted time in line and had to plead, beg, request and demand...whatever they had in store for us that evening.

The waiters were great and were the highlight of our cruise but we were fighting to enjoy that and so without fixed seating dining and a few other things, we are not going to cruise Princess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1