Maybe live from the Nieuw Amsterdam's fourth Alaska cruise, 2021

Boytjie

9 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

On a couple of cruises, people made the piles of paperbacks on the desk of the what-used-to-be fellow who was the librarian/computer tech helper.  They may have neither employee now, but check it out.

When I last sailed on NA, the desk remained.  The staff member was missing.  

Boytjie, thank you so very much for your taking us on the tour and all the pictures, as well as answers you've given to my and others questions and just wonderful reporting.  My husband started reading about the cruise and got so interested.  All of the folks on the HAL forum are so nice, thoughtful and willing to help in any way possible.  What a wonderful community, and we need this kind of community in this day and age.  I hope the ill passenger will be okay.

Edited by 12cruise2
added words
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Boytjie, quick question for you, please.

When you did the oyster farm excursion, did you have to wear masks on the boat?

I had this booked and then cancelled because I don't do well on small vessels and was afraid that the masking would only add to my problems.  It looks like so much fun, although may have sold out by now anyhow.

Thanks so much for all your efforts with this thread!

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

@Boytjie, quick question for you, please.

When you did the oyster farm excursion, did you have to wear masks on the boat?

I had this booked and then cancelled because I don't do well on small vessels and was afraid that the masking would only add to my problems.  It looks like so much fun, although may have sold out by now anyhow.

Thanks so much for all your efforts with this thread!

The boat wasn’t crowded; there were 8 of us on the excursion (I think the limit was 14) and then the captain and guide. 

We stayed outside and masks were not wearing masks; inside people did. There is a sheltered area outside too. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

The boat wasn’t crowded; there were 8 of us on the excursion (I think the limit was 14) and then the captain and guide. 

We stayed outside and masks were not wearing masks; inside people did. There is a sheltered area outside too. 

Thank you!  That sounds do-able.  I really appreciate the quick response. 😊

We are back in Seattle flying home arriving in NYC around 10 pm, ahead of hurricane Henri. 

I hope they left us some bread, eggs and milk in the supermarkets! Specially since there is no elevator to the Lido buffet in our building. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

We are back in Seattle flying home arriving in NYC around 10 pm, ahead of hurricane Henri. 

I hope they left us some bread, eggs and milk in the supermarkets! Specially since there is no elevator to the Lido buffet in our building. 

Thanks for all your reporting!  Safe travels home and hope all is well once you get there.  

• Like 1

Thank you for taking us along and safe trip home!

Tropical Storm Warning and Hurricane Watch for Sunday.

Lonnie Quinn has rolled up his sleeves in the summer. Don’t think I’ve seen that before.  He always does that when a snowstorm is coming!

aea3f2a5c3c423dd908136235becfae2.jpeg

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 3

Last night we were talking to a couple and the discussion ventured into “what makes stock prices go up our down” (Richard is a financial reporter) and it hit me like a brick: I forgot that I bought CCL stock at the beginning of the lockdown! I did not submit the proof to get OBC! 😮😡

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

Last night we were talking to a couple and the discussion ventured into “what makes stock prices go up our down” (Richard is a financial reporter) and it hit me like a brick: I forgot that I bought CCL stock at the beginning of the lockdown! I did not submit the proof to get OBC! 😮😡

Contact Guest Relations and ask if there's anything they can do about it ... it's $100 for a 7 day cruise.

We made it home safely, it was a rather bumpy flight especially approaching the New York area. 

It was raining hard and there was a long line for taxis and no taxis. We opted to take the Airtrain/Long Island Railroad and got soaked getting to the local Lyft ride. 

HAD to unpack since the luggage got wet. Now finally time to sleep. 

• Like 11

Happy you made it home, if very late. That's one thing I don't like about an Alaska cruise---the time change coming home is brutal. Now you can rest---sleeping through the storm sounds like a good idea! 

Since I went to soft luggage years ago, I always line it with dry cleaner plastic bags on all sides. I've seen too much luggage waiting on the tarmac to take a chance. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Happy you made it home, if very late. That's one thing I don't like about an Alaska cruise---the time change coming home is brutal. Now you can rest---sleeping through the storm sounds like a good idea! 

Since I went to soft luggage years ago, I always line it with dry cleaner plastic bags on all sides. I've seen too much luggage waiting on the tarmac to take a chance. 

Great tip Ruth!

Boytjie - thanks for sharing your cruise (and photos)!  Glad you both got home safely.

Sue/wdw1972