COVID-19 Positive Pre-Cruise

We were scheduled to sail the Allure OTS tomorrow.  First time cruising with my sister, first time in Two Bedroom Grand Suite.  Alas, it is not to be.

I did the PCR test Thursday at a local CVS and later that day, loss my sense of smell.  What?  This could not be happening.  But it was.  Got the test results Friday night and it was positive.  I notified everyone I had been in contact with and let my sister know the cruise was off for us.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Royal last night, sent them the test results, and our cruise was officially cancelled.  All monies are to be refunded within 30 to 45 days.  This morning, called the travel insurer and cancelled that policy.  Money to be refunded in five to seven days.

I emailed Dexter, the SL concierge to let him know to release my Coastal Kitchen reservations.  I think that is it.  

As disappointed as I am, I see the value of requiring the test shortly before cruising, even for vaccinated cruisers. It would be awful to infect others and to be sick on the ship.  Kudos to Royal and travel insurer for agreeing to refund all payments, and to my sister for caring more about me than a cruise.  I know my September cruise will be all the better after having to miss this one.  

• Like 45
  • Thanks 3

So sorry this has happened.  It’s our biggest fear now that final payment is done.  Very happy that you will get all your money back.  Hoping you’re not feeling too unwell.  

Although I was at first upset about the stress of needing to be tested, I’m seeing how it’s a good thing.  Preventing people who don’t realize they have it will keep others from getting it and having symptoms.  It makes those on board as safe as possible even though this is a huge disappointment for you.

• Like 7

Sorry to hear this, hope you have a fast uneventful recovery. 
We are on Allure in a 2 BR GS the last week of October and you are living our biggest fear, but I agree the procedures RC has are probably the best thing for now.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

As disappointed as I am, I see the value of requiring the test shortly before cruising, even for vaccinated cruisers. It would be awful to infect others and to be sick on the ship.  Kudos to Royal and travel insurer for agreeing to refund all payments, and to my sister for caring more about me than a cruise.  I know my September cruise will be all the better after having to miss this one.  

So sorry this happened to you. Thank you for your great attitude, and best wishes for a quick recovery!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

We were scheduled to sail the Allure OTS tomorrow.  First time cruising with my sister, first time in Two Bedroom Grand Suite.  Alas, it is not to be.

I did the PCR test Thursday at a local CVS and later that day, loss my sense of smell.  What?  This could not be happening.  But it was.  Got the test results Friday night and it was positive.  I notified everyone I had been in contact with and let my sister know the cruise was off for us.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone with Royal last night, sent them the test results, and our cruise was officially cancelled.  All monies are to be refunded within 30 to 45 days.  This morning, called the travel insurer and cancelled that policy.  Money to be refunded in five to seven days.

I emailed Dexter, the SL concierge to let him know to release my Coastal Kitchen reservations.  I think that is it.  

• Like 1

I'm sorry this happened to you and it is exactly why my husband and I have decided to quarantine a few weeks prior to our January cruise.

We are fully vaccinated, but as there is a possibility we could test positive, it's just not worth the chance because we really would like to take this cruise.  

We are retired, so it will be easy for us and realize not everyone has this option, but it makes sense for us.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Will you even be able to sail in September having tested positive now?

Latest science publication I have read says vaccinated + asymptomatic infected people will have a max of 12 days to test positive in a PCR test (4 days active infection, 12 days max to clear the virus).  I hope that is enough time ahead of OP's September cruise, because this turn of events is horrid.

I wish you hope and wellness, OP!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Sorry to hear. Hope your symptoms are minimized and you recover soon. Hope your family is well.

We're going in October and will likely self quarantine a while before we go just in case.

I’m with you. I have a B2B starting Oct 1, and although I’m vaxxed and had Covid, I will probably self quarantine also. It’s really not that rare for me though. There are lots of times I don’t go anywhere for 10 or so days. 😉

So sorry this happened, Lazydayz. Take care!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  I agree with those who are going to impose a self quarantine pre-cruise, if you able to.  Our next cruise is September 17th, and I am doing the rapid test next time.  Though CVS was quick in getting me the results, it would have been nice to know 36 hours earlier.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  I agree with those who are going to impose a self quarantine pre-cruise, if you able to.  Our next cruise is September 17th, and I am doing the rapid test next time.  Though CVS was quick in getting me the results, it would have been nice to know 36 hours earlier.  

Do a PCR with your normal (free) provider before grabbing that rapid test at CVS, as you might test positive on the antigen due to HOW it tests (pieces and parts of the virus):

COVID-19%20Testing%20types%2011.16.20%20

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

Do a PCR with your normal (free) provider before grabbing that rapid test at CVS, as you might test positive on the antigen due to HOW it tests (pieces and parts of the virus):

Good advice.  Just hope it doesn’t become Groundhogs Day.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyShiva said:

COVID-19%20Testing%20types%2011.16.20%20

Why? if PCR negative and you follow up with a positive antigen test you still can't sail.

RCL being generous through 31 October with regards to refunds; we sail in November so really sweating this.

Edited by mrlevin

5 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Funny, Memes, and Soon...: MAGIC UNICORN CAT SAYS  CCLo  boyom/Spansieson  itLSHOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!  makeameme.org Funny get well soon Memes

• Like 4