Incentive to not cancel?

Cornteen

I'm scheduled on the November 16th Panama Canal cruise but if mask mandates are still in effect I will most likely cancel/reschedule. 

So my question is:  Has Princess offered something to not cancel?  If so, what was it?  

Also, what would it take for you to not cancel?  I know I'm dreaming but a substantial on board credit might change my mind, say $500 or more. 

• Haha 1

I should phone Princess and express your concern and what you are thinking of doing.  Figure out beforehand a specific future cruise you are interested in if the regulations change.  They might well go with it if it keeps the revenue in the cruise line coffers.

Regards John.

• Thanks 1

I was recently offered an upgrade to a MC mini suite  near pool & buffet & transfers to/from ship to not cancel 

I had booked a BA midship extended angle balcony 

Princess cancelled cabin & EZ Air flights in error 

I am now dealing with trying to get my full refund. They have charged me $3800 in cancellation fees in error. 

Fees were to be waived. 

I turned down the offer.
No compensation was offered for this miserable mess they left me to clean up. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, john watson said:

I should phone Princess and express your concern and what you are thinking of doing.  Figure out beforehand a specific future cruise you are interested in if the regulations change.  They might well go with it if it keeps the revenue in the cruise line coffers.

Regards John.

And from my experience be careful who you speak to 

I was clear that I was calling to ask a question. But agent cancelled without my knowledge. I found out 6 days later!

Edited by 007colocruz

1 hour ago, Cornteen said:

I'm scheduled on the November 16th Panama Canal cruise but if mask mandates are still in effect I will most likely cancel/reschedule. 

So my question is:  Has Princess offered something to not cancel?  If so, what was it?  

Also, what would it take for you to not cancel?  I know I'm dreaming but a substantial on board credit might change my mind, say $500 or more. 

Princess is not the host of "Let's Make A Deal" ...

Just cancel if you are not amenable to the Covid protocols either in effect or expected to be.

• Like 24

At least you know well in advance what the rules may be in effect. I booked my cruise for next week nine days before Princess announced the changes. I'm happy about them, though. It's great that everyone has to be tested before going and will be wearing masks around the ship.

• Like 8

For recent Princess cancellations they offered 1. Price protected Replacement cruise. 2. 10% Bonus on FCC. 3. Full Refund. I cannot see them offering anything more if customer cancels.

We had a confusion in a cancellation and were refunded full payment and $400 FCC was reinstated. A phantom booking occurred and when TA cancelled it Princess thought we were cancelling a Replacement cruise and made the refund. We spoke to Princess and they price matched a later cruise as a replacement, original perks were transferred.

• Like 1

I am going to add to the group that wonders why Princess would offer anything to not cancel. If the sailings from Seattle to Alaska are indication there is not a lack of willing cruisers to take your spot. From the MTP parties needing number of cruises to qualify (450+ days) topping out above 2500, when it is usually around the 500 day mark to be #1. Everybody is anxious to get back.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Coral said:

We got offered $100 FCC to not cancel in March 2020 a week before they cancelled all ships.

I don't see this happening again, especially at $500 OBC.

I don't either. As others stated, there are probably many people waiting for a spot. 

19 hours ago, Cornteen said:

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

At least you know well in advance what the rules may be in effect.

Current masking rules are in effect through October 31.

Princess has no idea at this time what the rules may be for a November 16th cruise.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:42 AM, Cornteen said:

We're on Sky in late November.  We then have a family cruise on Caribbean next March and a TA in October, 2023.  Out of the blue, yesterday for November we got bumped from a balcony to a mini-suite.  Perhaps this was done with what you have in mind to get us more firmly hooked.  Whatever the reason, it worked.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:49 AM, dickinson said:

I have not heard of anything offered to not cancel.  My guess is that there is a lot of pent up demand so if cruising with a mask is not for you there are others who are willing to take your place.

I think the pent up demand is dwindling. So many here on CC are looking to cancel and many like myself won't even book a cruise with all of the testing changes and port of call changes not to mention the flight cancellations and cruise cancellations as the Delta variant increases. So much easier to book a land vacation. Masks which I'm opposed to are now the least of the problems. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

We're on Sky in late November.  We then have a family cruise on Caribbean next March and a TA in October, 2023.  Out of the blue, yesterday for November we got bumped from a balcony to a mini-suite.  Perhaps this was done with what you have in mind to get us more firmly hooked.  Whatever the reason, it worked.

We have received many upgrades over the years.  We never thought they were trying to keep us booked.  It's just something the cruise lines do for various reason, and we always felt lucky.

40 minutes ago, Kay S said:

We have received many upgrades over the years.  We never thought they were trying to keep us booked.  It's just something the cruise lines do for various reason, and we always felt lucky.

We feel lucky.  It was just a pleasant surprise.  Our future cruises are all in mini-suites so this will be a good test of space and packing.  

I think many of the bookings have been generated by previously cancelled cruises deemed necessary by the cruise line. It seemed a better option to rebook rather than completely cancel due to the attractive additional percentage refunds as credits.  If cruisers had more than one cruise booked pre-covid it seems likely they have a similar number of bookings going forward.  In my opinion very few people will start a completely new booking process until things settle to a more predictable world situation.  In the recovery to normal most people will be looking to book shorter cruises going to fewer ports and not flying to a foreign nation to board until confidence returns.

Regards John

15 minutes ago, john watson said:

I think many of the bookings have been generated by previously cancelled cruises deemed necessary by the cruise line. It seemed a better option to rebook rather than completely cancel due to the attractive additional percentage refunds as credits.  If cruisers had more than one cruise booked pre-covid it seems likely they have a similar number of bookings going forward.  In my opinion very few people will start a completely new booking process until things settle to a more predictable world situation.  In the recovery to normal most people will be looking to book shorter cruises going to fewer ports and not flying to a foreign nation to board until confidence returns.

Regards John

I admit I had to read this a couple of times but it is a very reasonable point.  I'm assuming you are UK and that would give a different perspective.

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

I admit I had to read this a couple of times but it is a very reasonable point.  I'm assuming you are UK and that would give a different perspective.

Yes UK based I have two cruises booked ex-Southampton as a result of two strings of previous cruises being cancelled.  The first is in October 2021 to the Netherlands and the other March 2022 to Canary Islands.  I picked them both with possible complications in mind and minimising perceived risk.  Princess seems to be easing restrictions in line with UK government.  About 90% of population is vaccinated and Princess has set up a quayside testing process prior to boarding and children are able to sail under certain conditions.  The cruise line has also advised that independent excursions and disembarkation is permitted at the port of call.  Sadly it was a two port itinerary but Guernsey has banned cruise ships for twelve months.  A number of US cruisers are coming over and immigration protocols have also been eased for those passengers.  So flying in looks a lot more feasible than it did earlier in the year.  This is the first of the post-Seacations I believe and it looks like it will take place. The second cruise to the Canary Islands was chosen because they are autonomous from the large European nations.  I feel Mediterranean countries are more likely to suddenly introduce regulations whereas the Atlantic Islands are a bit more isolated.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

13 minutes ago, john watson said:

Yes UK based I have two cruises booked ex-Southampton as a result of two strings of previous cruises being cancelled.  The first is in October 2021 to the Netherlands and the other March 2022 to Canary Islands.  I picked them both with possible complications in mind and minimising perceived risk.  Princess seems to be easing restrictions in line with UK government.  About 90% of population is vaccinated and Princess has set up a quayside testing process prior to boarding and children are able to sail under certain conditions.  The cruise line has also advised that independent excursions and disembarkation is permitted at the port of call.  Sadly it was a two port itinerary but Guernsey has banned cruise ships for twelve months.  A number of US cruisers are coming over and immigration protocols have also been eased for those passengers.  So flying in looks a lot more feasible than it did earlier in the year.  This is the first of the post-Seacations I believe and it looks like it will take place. The second cruise to the Canary Islands was chosen because they are autonomous from the large European nations.  I feel Mediterranean countries are more likely to suddenly introduce regulations whereas the Atlantic Islands are a bit more isolated.

Regards John

We've done Eastern Med out of Venice then Northern Europe from Southampton and an Iberian out of Amsterdam.  Loved the first 2 but hated Amsterdam - loud, dirty, rude people but that's just my opinion.  We have a TA from Southampton scheduled in 2023 - grand finale retirement cruise.  Looked into a London pre-cruise but might just spend a couple of days in Southampton.  Maybe a day trip to London or Bath.