The Daily for Friday August 20, 2021

richwmn

8 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good Friday morning!  Not sure but looks like we will have some clouds and rain today.  The weather people say 40% chance of rain and hope that works out for them.  🤔

School started a few days ago for my daughter's 4th grade math classes in Ohio. (She had to teach 5th grade last year at a different school).  She said everyone has to wear masks which is a last minute change.  But unlike last year students don't have to sit 6' apart and have shields in front of them.  She has one student who is already in quarantine because her high school sister is positive for Covid.  The high school student showed up at the elementary school open house UNMASKED while she was waiting on her Covid test results.  You can't fix stupid!

DD also found out this month what the results of last spring's State testing results were.  DD's 5th grade math students had an 87% pass rate!  That is outstanding for State tests.  That really helped her school passing rate a lot because unfortunately the other 5th grade math teacher's students had only 54% pass.  Teaching is hard work!

I think I'll pass on the fish dish today.  Thanks for the recipe though Debbie!  @dfishthings really are looking up!  The plumbing will be taken care of and the lawn is in good hands.  Nothing to worry about when you leave for your cruise!

I haven't been to Macapa, Brazil yet and I don't think that is even included on the Grand South America/Antarctica cruise in January.  As for that cruise, I wish HAL would send out an email telling us what the odds of that cruise going are.  They don't look good from where I'm sitting.  

Thanks Rich for your Daily newspaper today.  Thanks Roy for your list keeping.  Prayers for everyone on the Care list.  I'm especially worried about those left behind in Afghanistan.  Things seem to have been done backwards there.  Also the people of Haiti who were harmed by the latest earthquake.  All need our prayers.  Cheers to those on the the Celebration list.  

I have found out there will be a visitation tomorrow (apparently all day) for Copeland and his son at a Macon funeral home.  Due to Covid the family will not be available to greet visitors.  Then on Sunday they will both be laid to rest.  DH and I will probably drive down tomorrow and pay our respects, say some prayers and sign the guest book.  We understand the family not wanting crowds to congregate at the funeral home.  Of course we will be masked and social distance with anyone there.  We sure aren't looking to come down with Covid now!  Thank you @rafinmdfor putting them on your Care list this week.

I just wanted to quote the whole thing here, Sandi, in case anyone had to dig back to see what the comments are about.  I just think your daughter's teaching accomplishment during this pandemic is amazing.  Math is not an easy subject to teach even when conditions are perfect.  I was terrible at it and was only able to learn from certain teachers who could present the subject in a really clear and understandable way.  Your daughter must have a real gift AND a lot of patience to keep on keeping on during the pandemic.

Sorry if I'm gushing, but I really hated math and really revered the teachers who got me through it, so your story here was a real grabber.

That said, stay safe at the visitation!

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I just wanted to quote the whole thing here, Sandi, in case anyone had to dig back to see what the comments are about.  I just think your daughter's teaching accomplishment during this pandemic is amazing.  Math is not an easy subject to teach even when conditions are perfect.  I was terrible at it and was only able to learn from certain teachers who could present the subject in a really clear and understandable way.  Your daughter must have a real gift AND a lot of patience to keep on keeping on during the pandemic.

Sorry if I'm gushing, but I really hated math and really revered the teachers who got me through it, so your story here was a real grabber.

That said, stay safe at the visitation!

Thanks for your kind words!  I should read some of these lovely comments to her.  She comes home so tired I think she would love some encouraging words.  Over the years she's taught a variety of subjects including English, Science, Language Arts, and of course math.  But it seems math teachers are harder to come by!

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, canals said:

Just so you know Americans have been coming to Canada for a few weeks now.   Canadians are not allowed to travel across the US border  by car at the moment.   We are able to travel to US  by plane.   I live on the Trent Severn waterway and I have  to say some beautiful large US cabin cruisers are travelling again.    

Where are you located on the TSW? We have a place on Deer Bay between locks 30 and 31. We will be heading there soon!

• Like 2

Macapa was not among my favorite ports.  I think there is a tender landing but Prinsendam docked at Puerto Santana, several miles upstream.  The options there were pretty limited with just 2 tours offered, a paid shuttle into town and "Macapa Highlights".  The only other options were taxis and a very hot walk to nowhere.  I chose the Macapa Highlights.

On the way into Macapa (about a half hour drive) we stopped at an early 19th Century Star Fort, Fortaleza de Sao-Jose guarding the river.  It was never involved in hostile action but was manned by the Portugese until Brazil's independence in 1889.

fortaleza.jpg

Around the air conditioned visitor there were some exhibits including a river house:

riverhouse.jpg

and a market boat which brought both supplies and communications to remote villages:

floatmarket.jpg

Also at the visitor center was the highlight for me and perhaps Macapa's primary claim to fame.  It sits square on the equator and I enjoyed the "Zero Marker", a pillar denoting the equator with a hole at the top that casts a shadow along the equator at the summer and winter solstices:

equator.jpg

I don't think Macapa gets a lot of visits, and the town tried to put out the welcome mat for us, including their transit buses.  It's just a shame their sign wasn't a bit wider:

welcome.jpg

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Macapa was not among my favorite ports.  I think there is a tender landing but Prinsendam docked at Puerto Santana, several miles upstream.  The options there were pretty limited with just 2 tours offered, a paid shuttle into town and "Macapa Highlights".  The only other options were taxis and a very hot walk to nowhere.  I chose the Macapa Highlights.

On the way into Macapa (about a half hour drive) we stopped at an early 19th Century Star Fort, Fortaleza de Sao-Jose guarding the river.  It was never involved in hostile action but was manned by the Portugese until Brazil's independence in 1889.

fortaleza.jpg

Around the air conditioned visitor there were some exhibits including a river house:

riverhouse.jpg

and a market boat which brought both supplies and communications to remote villages:

floatmarket.jpg

Also at the visitor center was the highlight for me and perhaps Macapa's primary claim to fame.  It sits square on the equator and I enjoyed the "Zero Marker", a pillar denoting the equator with a hole at the top that casts a shadow along the equator at the summer and winter solstices:

equator.jpg

I don't think Macapa gets a lot of visits, and the town tried to put out the welcome mat for us, including their transit buses.  It's just a shame their sign wasn't a bit wider:

welcome.jpg

Roy

Very interesting that Macapa sits on the equator.  Not much to do there but they have buses!  That's encouraging!  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

Where are you located on the TSW? We have a place on Deer Bay between locks 30 and 31. We will be heading there soon!

We are between Bolsover and Lock 37.    So nice you are able to travel to Canada this year to enjoy your house on the lake.  Very soothing living on the water!   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dfish said:

@Gail & Marty sailing away  Happy Birthday to Gail!   

@rafinmd I hope all is found to be well.   Sorry about the issues you are having, but that is part of being human and your Daily family can empathize with you.

@mamaofamiI totally agree on only allowing vaccinated people in the house.  Personally, to work as an aide with the medically fragile or high risk population and not be vaccinated is reckless and irresponsible.  And for the agency to send someone out who is not vaccinated is the same.  

@Cruising-alongI am totally excited about getting to meet you finally.  Now, let's not jinx it too much.  No broken bones, please.   

@StLouisCruisersI am happy that you will be able to pay your respects to Copeland and his son. Congratulations to your daughter from this retired Math teacher.   

@Vict0riannMy sympathies on the loss of your friend.  

@Crazy For Cats I almost fell off my chair when you said you might be able to eat today's meal suggestion.   Really?    I hope Henri shows mercy.

I tend to think the spices make it better.  Add peanut butter pie from a BHB and I’ll be there.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@kazu Jacqui I just had to tell you how hilarious your "last and final" post was and afterwards a person posted again! Omg that was funny!! 

Oh you’re talking about the Future Cruise Listing?  I’m am SO frustrated.

Glad it’s funny.  It happens all too often and it’s tiresome.  Not sure why people don’t read?

The new listing was at the top of page and an experienced poster who knows better posts on the old one and bumps it.

I am standing by my word.  I grew tired of people who won’t read after 8 years of doing this “volunteer” job and I will NOT read the post nor add them to the FCL.

So funny to many but not to me.  It’s frustrating and I really don’t like to leave anyone off but I’m tired of people not playing ball.  Life was much simpler when we had Host Walt (RIP) who locked the thread for me every week.  sorry, grumpy Gus.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Glad it’s funny.  It happens all too often and it’s tiresome.  Not sure why people don’t read?

The new listing was at the top of page and an experienced poster who knows better posts on the old one and bumps it.

I am standing by my word.  I grew tired of people who won’t read after 8 years of doing this “volunteer” job and I will NOT read the post nor add them to the FCL.

So funny to many but not to me.  It’s frustrating and I really don’t like to leave anyone off but I’m tired of people not playing ball.  Life was much simpler when we had Host Walt (RIP) who locked the thread for me every week.  sorry, grumpy Gus.

Makes you wonder how some people ever find their way to the ship.

Roy

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

Just now, rafinmd said:

Makes you wonder how some people ever find their way to the ship.

Roy

LOL I KNOW you know what I am talking about having covered for me in the past when I had the audacity to cruise and for which I have been so grateful.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

Hug! And thank you!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Hug! And thank you!

Aww thanks.  I was copying and pasting for years and moving them and it’s a PITA as then the old thread is bumped again.

I was told by a wise person I was too kind (I am - I fully admit it) and it’s time to put your foot down.  So, I’m doing it but I find it a tad uncomfortable 😉 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know, but the laugh was a few posts earlier they were celebrating their "150th" anniversary!! And then said sorry, just one more thing. 

LOL - oh for sure but if a huge meme that the thread is closed, doesn’t work,  I don’t know what does.  I ddi’t read it.  I’ve promised myself I won’t.  I stand by my word.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

I was told by a wise person I was too kind (I am - I fully admit it) and it’s time to put your foot down.  So, I’m doing it but I find it a tad uncomfortable 😉 

Good for you. 🙂 Thank you for keeping the FCL and posting the “Bon Voyage” threads. 😘

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

Good for you. 🙂 Thank you for keeping the FCL and posting the “Bon Voyage” threads. 😘

LOL I feel badly every time but I’ll get used to it.  If people won’t learn to read, it’s not my problem as a very wise person told me 😉 

sorry everyone I didn’t mean to be a complainer here today.  It sure sounds like I am 😔 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

You'd think a moderator would take pity and close the thread. 

Host Walt was the only one who would do it.  Not sure why,

I tried for 6 weeks after we lost him to no avail.

I’ll try again as it seems the moderators are more active now but we don’t have a dedicated mod for the HAL board to the best of my knowledge.

I honestly think aside from me posting the thread is closed and to post on the new thread and then to post a meme like this

C54A83C6-1D67-4A58-8C32-17D196FD2588.jpeg.00bff9ff56aebbcb72a007b269741b2d.jpeg

should really suffice.  But, I guess people have to read 😡 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, XBGuy said:

One think I love about cooking is the fact that no recipe is sacrosanct.  If you don't have an ingredient, there is no penalty for leaving it out.  If you think you can improve a recipe by adding something that wasn't called out, then add it.

Lots of substitutions made during the pandemic. If we didn't have something, we just used something else. And no one complained!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canals said:

We are between Bolsover and Lock 37.    So nice you are able to travel to Canada this year to enjoy your house on the lake.  Very soothing living on the water!   

We haven't spent much time in your area yet. We did day trips on the Trent when I was a kid. By boat, the furthest west we got was Fenelon Falls (lock 34) and the furthest east was Lakefield (lock 26). Many trips in a Lakefield cedar strip runabout (no digital pictures) and then in a fiberglass tri-hull open bow (picture circa 1969) -

TB84_1200ed.thumb.jpg.890c449ae90d628ec2eeb5f19e43478d.jpg

• Like 4