The Daily for Sunday August 22, 2021

richwmn

Today is Be an Angel Day, National Tooth Fairy Day, and Never Bean Better Day

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday. - Don Marquis

Meal suggestion for today - New Zealand-Style Beef & Cheddar Pies

Drink of the Day - Flaming Doctor Pepper

Wine of the day - Franchetti–Passopisciaro 2018 Contrada R Nerello Mascalese (Terre Siciliane) Sicily & Sardinia

Destination of the Day - Santarem Brazil

Ships with Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Juneau

Piraeus, Athens, Greece
Eurodam 07:00 - 19:00

Ships without Passengers

At Sea Pacific
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 8/22

Corfu GR
Volendam Operations off shore
Zaandam

Ensenada MX
Noordam Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Los Angeles
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

Trieste IT
Rotterdam

0822NAmerica.thumb.png.85727177ed0573c7c52d696077d29c1c.png

082Europe.thumb.png.5ecfee6900692f90326c9212870be7a6.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

A couple of notes for today

The last day of celebration deserves a note since it doesn't describe the celebration.

Never Bean Better Day is a day to enjoy the companionship of your pets and to share the love they give you with others. It is named for and honors the birth of a celebrity therapy Golden Retriever named Bean.

https://www.checkiday.com/9e963a0f3a72c71703ad461d6d9642b3/never-bean-better-day

I changed the drink of the day to prevent the thread from being under review.

The original drink was Suffering B a s t a r d, there is a nice write up on it on liquor dot com, but the link contains the 'offending' word so would most likely cause this post to be held for review. Maybe try this - take out the space

liquor.com/recipes/suffering-bast ard/

Ingredients

• 1 ounce bourbon

• 1 ounce London dry gin

• 1/2 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed

• 2 dashes Angostura bitters

• Ginger beer, to top

• Garnish: mint sprig

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich, and your diligence to avoid purgatory.  A salute to pets and owners, lots of Angels here, and love the tooth fairy.  I think I've been to Santarem twice, both times on the Elegant Explorer.  I love the Marquis quote.  I like both beef and cheddar but not sure about the combination.  My alternative is Mixed Gourmet Greens, Chilled Raspberry Soup, Roasted Poik Loin with Apple-Cranberry Spiced Chutney and Tiramisu as served on MS Statendam August 22, 2014.

Today’s care list:

RIP Cape May Beach Patrol Norman Inferrerra 3rd Line of Duty Death 8/20/21
Those in the path of Henri
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western (Especially BC) wildfires
Sharon’s mom in g radiation
Death in Sam’s aide’s family and dilemma in his caregiver situation
Afghanistan and Norseh2o’s nephew assisting the evacuation
New Zealand continuing outbreak
From the rotation:
Krazy Kruizer DH Joe
Me awaiting PET test results

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Cruisin single and CruiseMGM on BHB
Happy Anniversary Graham and Pauline starting their 41at year together
6 Days for SharoninAz
Sharon’s help for her mom with radiation
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  You certainly do a lot to keep this thread going.  Thanks for the explanations and the cocktail recipe.

Love my pet.  I'm no angel, but I usually try to not be the devil.  A salute to the Tooth Fairy.  I wonder, how much does the tooth fairy give for a tooth these days?

The meal sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing a recipe.

Not sure about a flaming cocktail, but hope the wine is good.

Prayers to everyone on the care list.  A toast for all the celebrations, big or small.

Have a wonderful Sunday.  Stay safe.

• Like 24

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I enjoy the companionship of the cats every day.  They have made the past year and a half more bearable.  Henri shifted back east so we will stay close to home today.  We are expected to get about 1.5 inches of rain.  Slightly to the west of us much more.  I picked up some steaks yesterday so that will be today’s dinner.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 19

Good morning.  Interesting group of days, especially the last one.  Thank you Rich for the description.  I laughed out loud at the quote.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, continue to social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Flaming Doctor Pepper:

A Flaming Doctor Pepper is a flaming cocktail with taste similar to the soft drink Dr Pepper, despite Dr Pepper not being one of its ingredients. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 part High-proof liquor, 16 oz (~13 parts) Beer, 3 parts Amaretto
Preparation: Layer the two spirits in the shot glass, with the high-proof liquor on top. Light the shot and allow it to burn; then extinguish it by dropping it into the beer glass. Drink immediately.
Served: Flaming
Drinkware: A Pub Glass, Shot Glass

Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 7.17.16 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love the collection of days! Here’s to Angels, the Tooth Fairy and all the Beans of the world. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family.  Be safe those of you in Henry’s path.

Happy Anniversary Graham & Pauline! Here’s to many more.

@grapau27

Looking forward to today’s recipe. Love both drinks - except for the gin. A bit cloudy this morning, but hoping we have more of a breeze than yesterday. It was brutal outside yesterday. 

I might do a beef burger tonight. Bindi likes to supervise my cooking, when I am doing anything with beef. Her nose knows. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Franchetti–Passopisciaro 2018 Contrada R Nerello Mascalese (Terre Siciliane)

This entry from the amount Etna vines sounds amazing. I found the 2017 available for $42.99, and it is rated in the low 90s. The lowest price I found online for the 2018 vintage was $68.49 - but with a rating of 98 that seems reasonable. 

Winemaker notes

At 1,000 meters above sea level, this wine is made from century-old vines growing on a very ancient lava spill with extremely fine granules in our highest vineyard. It is our most rarified and ethereal expression of nerello mascalese.

2018 was one of the rainiest and most tropical vintages we’ve seen on Etna in the last eight years, especially at the end of the summer. This year, we had to increase the number of times we passed through the vineyards to remove leaves mindfully, avoiding any burning but allowing air to pass through the canopy to mitigate the effects of this wet and humid climate. We countered effects of disease with natural products like clay and propolis as well.

With the red wines, we found ourselves with rain, humid, and sometimes fog — not ideal conditions at the end of the of growing season, but knowing how to work our vineyards, we did not let ourselves be deceived and intervened where and as needed, like a mosaic, in the various Contrade and from the vineyards from which we make our Passorosso.

The wines of this year will be varietally correct, linear, with a pronounced acidity, with the long-lived characteristics that define the finer vintage on Etna.

REVIEWS

Kerin O’Keefe, Wine Enthusiast, 98 points: “Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this gorgeous red stuns with captivating scents of pressed rose, violet, red berry, white pepper as well as whiffs of smoke and balsamic notes. Boasting extreme elegance and intensity, the smooth, delicious palate delivers strawberry jelly, raspberry compote, cinnamon and flinty mineral framed in smooth, silky tannins. Made from some of the highest vineyards on Mount Etna and 100-year-old vines, it’s endowed with bright acidity that keeps it superbly balanced. Drink through 2030.”

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

@grapau27 A very happy anniversary to Graham and Pauline.  

I stayed up way too late last night and will probably go back to bed for a nap this morning.   We received notice last night that our boarding time was moved up to noon from 1:00 pm.  Sounds good to us!   

Today's meal sounds good to me.  It reminds me a bit of the pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  https://food52.com/recipes/76077-new-zealand-style-beef-cheddar-pies

How-to-Make-Mince-and-Cheese-Pies.thumb.jpg.9a2f04df6532744f2bf7affa13089471.jpg

Mince-and-Cheese-Pie.thumb.jpg.59b6bfa18c08a794ac8cf13f74fe7623.jpg

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/upper-peninsula-pasties/

2074375847_MichiganPasty.jpeg.5c02057d914eecc572f88a76d63cacd5.jpeg

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love the collection of days! Here’s to Angels, the Tooth Fairy and all the Beans of the world. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyite family.  Be safe those of you in Henry’s path.

Happy Anniversary Graham & Pauline! Here’s to many more.

@grapau27

Looking forward to today’s recipe. Love both drinks - except for the gin. A bit cloudy this morning, but hoping we have more of a breeze than yesterday. It was brutal outside yesterday. 

I might do a beef burger tonight. Bindi likes to supervise my cooking, when I am doing anything with beef. Her nose knows. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Franchetti–Passopisciaro 2018 Contrada R Nerello Mascalese (Terre Siciliane)

This entry from the amount Etna vines sounds amazing. I found the 2017 available for $42.99, and it is rated in the low 90s. The lowest price I found online for the 2018 vintage was $68.49 - but with a rating of 98 that seems reasonable. 

Winemaker notes

At 1,000 meters above sea level, this wine is made from century-old vines growing on a very ancient lava spill with extremely fine granules in our highest vineyard. It is our most rarified and ethereal expression of nerello mascalese.

2018 was one of the rainiest and most tropical vintages we’ve seen on Etna in the last eight years, especially at the end of the summer. This year, we had to increase the number of times we passed through the vineyards to remove leaves mindfully, avoiding any burning but allowing air to pass through the canopy to mitigate the effects of this wet and humid climate. We countered effects of disease with natural products like clay and propolis as well.

With the red wines, we found ourselves with rain, humid, and sometimes fog — not ideal conditions at the end of the of growing season, but knowing how to work our vineyards, we did not let ourselves be deceived and intervened where and as needed, like a mosaic, in the various Contrade and from the vineyards from which we make our Passorosso.

The wines of this year will be varietally correct, linear, with a pronounced acidity, with the long-lived characteristics that define the finer vintage on Etna.

REVIEWS

Kerin O’Keefe, Wine Enthusiast, 98 points: “Fragrant and loaded with finesse, this gorgeous red stuns with captivating scents of pressed rose, violet, red berry, white pepper as well as whiffs of smoke and balsamic notes. Boasting extreme elegance and intensity, the smooth, delicious palate delivers strawberry jelly, raspberry compote, cinnamon and flinty mineral framed in smooth, silky tannins. Made from some of the highest vineyards on Mount Etna and 100-year-old vines, it’s endowed with bright acidity that keeps it superbly balanced. Drink through 2030.”

Thank you so much.

Graham.

• Like 12

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

Interesting quote.

I'm not keen on the food or drink of the day.

Angel day is good and tooth fairy day when we were kids was good.

I hope everyone has a lovely day and many thanks for everyone wishing us a happy anniversary.

Graham.

• Like 20

Good  morning  from  a  rainy  New  York. The  Tropical  Storm is  expected  later  today and  it  feel  rather  ominous outside.

@grapau27, A  very  Happy  Anniversary  to  you  both. I  enjoy  seeing  your  pictures  everyday  and  also love  your  pictured  meals. I  hope  you  have  a  great  day together

Cheers  for  the  days including  the  Tooth  Fairy,Angels  and  our  wonderful  dogs. The  recipe  looks  great  and  will  please  one  half  of  my  crew. Today's  meal  will  be  a  vegetarian bean  enchilada and  hopefully  the electricity  will  stay  on.

I  look  forward  to  pictures  from  the  port.

20170806_194824.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Sunday smile 🙂 

Love the collection of days.  It’s so important to be an angel to someone else as much as we all can.  Love that the great service dog, Bean had a day named after him ♥️ 

I had to chuckle at Don Marquis’ quote.

Henri has now been downgraded to a tropical storm but with winds of 70 mph it’s going to packing a wallop.  Sadly it’s also a full moon when the tides are the highest which means the storm surges will be even worse.  Prayers for everyone in it’s path 🙏🏻 I’m going to try to keep some humour to alleviate tensions.

3A20BB2F-80F6-49B8-A88C-2A5A78943F24.jpeg.e524ce18b18fb38005c0a20cca0af39c.jpeg

The meal suggestion sounds good.  I expect another hot, humid one today so I think it may just be hamburgers tonight 😉   I may have to plan meals that can be re-heated in the microwave “in case”.

67BE1951-DDC7-44FC-BF8A-5AD7BA99DD74.jpeg.5908a9e332141a4ea89673a8e46e1fef.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone!!!

2BDEC0CD-708C-4FBC-8682-069A6A93762C.jpeg.34b3dbed19b694683422ce39794510d2.jpeg

Stay extra safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Everyone from a very warm and sunny day at the beach

From what I hear, the tooth fairy brings big bucks now a days.  I am not an angel but try not to be the devil. Have never been to todays port, looking forward to pictures.

Lots of activity at the port this weekend. Great to see the ships with passengers coming in and out.

Prayers for those in the path of Henri. Stay safe and dont take foolish chances.

@grapau27 A very Happy Anniversary to you and Pauline. May you have many more!

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all...relaxing with a hot cup of coffee while the house is still quiet.

Love the collection of days today.  In these times, if we all chose to be an angel for something small each day, what a better world this might be.  Also love Never Bean Better Day and that it is a day for a special hound.  My granddog's name is Dean, and we often refer to him as 'The Bean'...he certainly brings us joy whenever we can be together and as his 'grammy' I spoil him tremendously:

image.png.48f49fbf43bb9cb748b1cc9cdea71e7f.png

I think I'll choose the alternative meal for today - you had me at 'chilled raspberry soup'.  Chilled fruit soups are an absolute favorite of mine!

Looks like we'll have a slow and steady rain all day today, so good thing all my errands were done yesterday.  Will be a day to cocoon in the house and get ready to head back to the office after my week of travel.  I shudder to think what my inbox will look like.

Have a great day all - check in later.

• Like 24