RCL Denies vaccinated and negative tested couple boarding

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

But Royal required 12+ to be vaccinated for any sailing out of Bayonne. Period. That requirement was before the Bahamas rule. The Bahamas requirement changes nothing for those sailings as Royal always required passengers to be vaccinated. 

Also the cruise must stop in a foreign port so just stopping at Canaveral was never an option. 

With so many Bahamians sick and many work for RCI at Co-co would you still feel comfortable being there,  a question that everyone will have a different answer to. Granted its not like Labadee with 90% of the workers being up front and close to the passengers.. That stop over in a foreign port kind of puts the squeez on what they can do if the Bahamian government HAS to stop all cruise ships from entering their ports when sailing from NJ doesn't it.

28 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

With so many Bahamians sick and many work for RCI at Co-co would you still feel comfortable being there,  a question that everyone will have a different answer to. Granted its not like Labadee with 90% of the workers being up front and close to the passengers.. That stop over in a foreign port kind of puts the squeez on what they can do if the Bahamian government HAS to stop all cruise ships from entering their ports when sailing from NJ doesn't it.

No I am not worried about going to Coco Cay,  all staff are vaccinated so it isn't an issue.  They aren't going to stop going to the Bahamas they are going to make sure that all passengers over the required age are vaccinated. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

What are you talking about? First you were talking about how the Oasis cruises out of NJ would be more strict. And now you're saying whatever the above is supposed to say. 

Cruises out of NJ always required everyone over 12 to be vaccinated. The Bahamas rule changed nothing because Royals rule already complied with what the Bahamas are requesting. So the cruises out of NJ aren't getting more strict - the requirements stay the same. 

• Like 4

On 8/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, tserface said:

On 8/24/2021 at 4:47 PM, mayleeman said:

Brilliant move. CEO so worried about a large uncommitted inventory's effect on finacial reporting that he failed to notice that the decline in cases was occurring while a new variant with unknown contagiousness was spreading. And he missed the demand cruising and other travel would create. Pure bean counter concern. Next good move would be to fire him.

This corporate decision should be taught along with Circuit City firing all their experienced employees and going bankrupt 2 years later.

This doesn’t make sense to me not unless they were about to go bad. Why would a company destroy a perfectly good product? Because the cases were going down? The logical thing to do would be to keep them and stop or slow down production. I don’t believe they destroyed them not unless there was something wrong with them.

https://wgme.com/news/local/abbott-labs-disputes-report-that-says-they-forced-workers-to-destroy-covid-19-test-kits

On 8/24/2021 at 7:45 PM, mayleeman said:

The article shows exp dates of Feb 2022  more than 7 months away when they were destroyed.

That could be just any test kit. I don’t believe everything I read especially when it doesn’t make any sense at all.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

This doesn’t make sense to me not unless they were about to go bad. Why would a company destroy a perfectly good product? Because the cases were going down? The logical thing to do would be to keep them and stop or slow down production. I don’t believe they destroyed them not unless there was something wrong with them.

https://wgme.com/news/local/abbott-labs-disputes-report-that-says-they-forced-workers-to-destroy-covid-19-test-kits

Yeah, it could have been an economics thing as well.  We destroy all kinds of things to help keep the market prices high (like agricultural crops for example).   Maybe having fewer test available would allow them to charge more for them?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Empehi said:

Question for the board? I have a cruise scheduled for Nov 28th. Three days before this date is Thanksgiving .... we are leaving by auto from the Midwest to Florida for the cruise ... so how does Royal expect us to get a test three days before the cruise when everything is closed Thanksgiving. Any thoughts how to accomplish this?

You can always try to set up an appt somewhere along your drive to get tested, but it would probably be much easier to order the Abbott test kit.

18 minutes ago, tserface said:

Yeah, it could have been an economics thing as well.  We destroy all kinds of things to help keep the market prices high (like agricultural crops for example).   Maybe having fewer test available would allow them to charge more for them?

If they wanted to charge more they wouldn’t have to destroy the kits. Simply increase the price.

2 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Simple answer would be if there's passengers over 12 years of age that are not vaccinated then the ship wont be allowed to dock and in the Oasis's case more sea days with Port Canaveral as their only stop for the seven nighters from Bayonne.

That itinerary would not be legal under the PVSA.  The ship would have to make at least one call in a foreign port.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

There is often a cost associated with storing a product that is related to leasing the physical space along with personal to maintain the inventory/watch over the building. Also destroying the product allows for "losses" and tax write offs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bstel said:

I think this question represents a general flaw in alot of people's thinking on this board.  "...so how does Royal expect us...".  So many questions that start like this on this Board.  They don't expect you to, they really don't care about your individual circumstance.  They are looking at the big picture.  1000-2000 people per ship, X ships, X weeks, etc.  They really don't care about the ONE case of a person from the Midwest who is driving to FL on a Thanksgiving.  The policies are there to protect their bottom in the restart process and the policies are designed around the 90% of people who can/will meet the requirements.  Sorry to come across as rude, but its the truth.

If testing is just a temporary thing, fine. But if this is the future, the cruise. lines are going to have to be more helpful to those needing tests both before boarding, and to get home. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

If testing is just a temporary thing, fine. But if this is the future, the cruise. lines are going to have to be more helpful to those needing tests both before boarding, and to get home. 

COVID isnt going anywhere.  Even if they could go 100% vaccination guests only, I bet these tests would be required.  I think testing will become the norm for cruising.  In fact I wouldnt doubt they go to accepting PCR only.  If that be the case, I will be on my last one in two weeks, provided a come up negative that is.   There are way too many places I want to visit right here in the good ol USA that doesnt require jamming a huge q tip up into my brain, the stress or the extra expense.  Those places dont even require vaccination.   I fully understand that RC couldnt care less about losing one little lowly Gold member 

Edited by ryano

11 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

With so many Bahamians sick and many work for RCI at Co-co would you still feel comfortable being there,  a question that everyone will have a different answer to.

have you seen what's going on in a lot of Southern states? No? Why would I be uncomfortable about the exact same situation in the Bahamas? Bahamas as a whole is doing better then my county in the middle of GA.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:49 PM, wolfcathorse said:

Ah, 24 hrs (1 day) times 3 equals 72 hours. So 72 hrs is 3 days

Not exactly.

If you sail/fly at 6PM on Friday, 72 hours is 6PM on Tuesday

3 days before is anytime on Tuesday.  So you could be tested in the morning.

So with 72 hours, if you were swabbed at 5:59PM on Tuesday, your test would not be valid for a 6PM Friday departure.

20 hours ago, Empehi said:

I know why not fly .... well how do you think the Delta variance got into the US (airlines can fly all over with minimal to no testing).  Now more than ever it is nuts to fly ... fully vaccinate yet asymptomatic and high contageous for the Delta and yet the CDC lets anyone fly.

Testing is required to fly into the US.

US does not recognize vaccination for entry.

• Like 1

I have to wonder what the contingencies for the Oasis sailings are going to be if they can't get to the Bahamas either due to COVID requirements or weather.  Is King's Wharf deep enough to handle an Oasis-class?  Can they even dock in Bermuda or Canada?

26 minutes ago, starri said:

I have to wonder what the contingencies for the Oasis sailings are going to be if they can't get to the Bahamas either due to COVID requirements or weather.  Is King's Wharf deep enough to handle an Oasis-class?  Can they even dock in Bermuda or Canada?

They're making sure they meet the requirements. There's two ports in the Bahamas that can handle them with Nassau being a somewhat protected port. Canada isn't an option this year. 

3 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

There is often a cost associated with storing a product that is related to leasing the physical space along with personal to maintain the inventory/watch over the building. Also destroying the product allows for "losses" and tax write offs.

See this all the time. Even seen Buildings 10-20yrs old nothing wrong with them, not in use or needed tore down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Testing is required to fly into the US.

US does not recognize vaccination for entry.

So funny!!! - It DOES recognize it when you leave US, but it doesn't recognize it anymore when you try to "sneak in" back - funny it is!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kirtihk said:

So funny!!! - It DOES recognize it when you leave US, but it doesn't recognize it anymore when you try to "sneak in" back - funny it is!

There are so many things that are simply nonsensical in this world and in the world of cruising too. I recall having a Swiss Army knife in my carry on bag confiscated at port Baltimore one sailing. Had sailed with knife in carryon ( this is a pocket knife, you know scissor, screwdriver head type ) numerous times. However a new guy became Security Head and he had simply copied items list from airlines list. I advised that I failed to see the point of confiscating a pocket knife when boarding a ship full of steak knifes etc being constantly handed to me on board. No matter what is written is written. It was receipted and it was returned! It had sentimental value to me so was a real issue personally.

I have often ( I am retired from managing a total maximum security facility ) been walked through hundreds of metal detectors and frisked by wand and the ones that were actually set and working properly I could count on one hand. In the security business this is called security by bluff and BS. Sadly Covid testing requirements are much the same. You must provide an easily forged proof of vaccination. If you can't check a record against by a reliable, realtime, and secure database then written proof of anything is useless. That's just a fact not a criticism. 

How many years was a drivers license enough to do almost anything, yet in many states no proof of almost anything was required to get it in first place? That until Federal real ID license requirements which have still not been totally implemented I believe.

How many people that filled out the old " how are you today slips at embarkation " ( now being done day of sailing on RCL App ) answered yeah I have a fever feel like I am dying. Just flew across country to take this cruise but would like to be barred from taking it now because I woke up sneezing this morning.

Yes bluff and BS but as they say rules are rules.

George in NY

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Georgeny said:

How many years was a drivers license enough to do almost anything, yet in many states no proof of almost anything was required to get it in first place? That until Federal real ID license requirements which have still not been totally implemented I believe.

How many people that filled out the old " how are you today slips at embarkation " ( now being done day of sailing on RCL App ) answered yeah I have a fever feel like I am dying. Just flew across country to take this cruise but would like to be barred from taking it now because I woke up sneezing this morning.

Yes bluff and BS but as they say rules are rules.

George in NY

Was here in Az last Spring couple months before Birthday and my Michigan DL was due to expire. Got new one online from Michigan, this has with my old picture from 4yrs ago and now has the Star on it where didn't before... In 2002 post 9/11 went with my Ex on our last Cruise together. Drove 90min to Airport where she realized no purse, no DL or ID though I had mine. Was surprised got her on the Plane and our 10nite Cruise with her BC and ML that I brought along

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 8/25/2021 at 10:30 PM, DJLDRUMS said:

the RCL workers on CoCo are vaccinated like the ship workers.  They also live on the island so they are not mixing with the general Bahamian population.  RCL also supplements the CoCo workers with additional workers from the ship.  You are also outside the whole time.  So CoCo is very safe in my mind and I didn't feel unsafe at all when I was there in June.

4 hours ago, Georgeny said:

There are so many things that are simply nonsensical in this world and in the world of cruising too. I recall having a Swiss Army knife in my carry on bag confiscated at port Baltimore one sailing. Had sailed with knife in carryon ( this is a pocket knife, you know scissor, screwdriver head type ) numerous times. However a new guy became Security Head and he had simply copied items list from airlines list. I advised that I failed to see the point of confiscating a pocket knife when boarding a ship full of steak knifes etc being constantly handed to me on board. No matter what is written is written. It was receipted and it was returned! It had sentimental value to me so was a real issue personally.

George in NY

Same thing on the airlines.  Most have real knives in Business Class.

But I recently had a tape measure confiscated in Istanbul airport.   *****?!  It is a TAPE MEASURE.

24 minutes ago, bstel said:

the RCL workers on CoCo are vaccinated like the ship workers.  They also live on the island so they are not mixing with the general Bahamian population.  RCL also supplements the CoCo workers with additional workers from the ship.  You are also outside the whole time.  So CoCo is very safe in my mind and I didn't feel unsafe at all when I was there in June.

The ship peope on CocoCay do not live there.

They commute by boat.

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Was here in Az last Spring couple months before Birthday and my Michigan DL was due to expire. Got new one online from Michigan, this has with my old picture from 4yrs ago and now has the Star on it where didn't before... In 2002 post 9/11 went with my Ex on our last Cruise together. Drove 90min to Airport where she realized no purse, no DL or ID though I had mine. Was surprised got her on the Plane and our 10nite Cruise with her BC and ML that I brought along

MD got caught handing out REAL IDs without the proof.

They had to get people into an MVA office within a certain amount of time, with their documents, or the license became suspended.

• Like 1