RCL Denies vaccinated and negative tested couple boarding

14 minutes ago, ryano said:

RC needs a back up plan. It appears others here agree with me 

Ditto, I would've been willing to stand in a  line and let THEM test us instead of jumping through all these hoops, what's the difference.  We are just willing to do whatever to be cruising again.  If that's not some people's bag, fine with me.

Edited by toddcruise01

2 minutes ago, toddcruise01 said:

Oh Ryano,  it will be worth it to me sitting with my a-- in the sand and a cold beer in my hand and on my balcony.  Oh so worth it. BUt....different strokes for different folks.

I have to agree that it will certainly be worth it for all those who make it onboard.  I just hope Im one of them.  🙂    Doing my best to stay healthy and have my rapid COVID test appt scheduled.   Had I not been locked in though, I would not consider a cruise right now.    

13 hours ago, cruising mom 2 said:

So it's not simple for everyone .

We live way out in the boonies on a mountain in Arkansas, doesn't get more rural than we are, but a small town near us 16 miles away, has one Walgreen's and that is all we need here.  No problem scheduling nor getting the test.  That is our experience.  We worried ourselves silly until we contacted RCCL directly and were told our local test was acceptable.  Allure here we come.  But, I will be holding my breath waiting for the test results.  Currently in self quarantine until we go down for it.,

Edited by toddcruise01
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ryano said:

I was under the impression that COVID testing is suppose to be free to everyone, including the uninsured, according to The Families First Coronavirus Response Act.    The way I understand it is if your insurance doesnt pay, the govt will.  

*If* the provider is willing to bill insurance or the government.  Those are the places (e.g., CVS and Walgreens) with no appointments or that are running out of tests (especially rapid tests). 

Money talks, so if you're willing to pay for a test yourself (for more than what insurance or the government will pay) you have more options.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

personally I think the test 3 days out is ridiculous as alot of exposure can and will happen to travelers within those 3 days, 5 days out makes no sense at all, why even bother. 

Let's remember the 3 day rule is not something set by royal, majority of the world has this 3 day rule (heck some are more stringent and say 72 hours).   

And to add more angst, you could still get infected on the way to the pier, taxis, hotels, planes, trains and automobiles, after testing negative.....so what's the use,  You'd be spreading Covid on the ship, incubation being 2-14 days!  What are the odds that someone on some ship with a negative test will contract Covid on way to ship and spread it around?  Pretty good I'd say. Vaxd or not.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, toddcruise01 said:

Ditto, I would've been willing to stand in a  line and let THEM test us instead of jumping through all these hoops, what's the difference.  We are just willing to do whatever to be cruising again.  If that's not some people's bag, fine with me.

If the tests are in short supply and labs are backed up, where is RCCL supposed to get this supply of tests to test people before boarding. Would they have the same problems? I mean Carnival is having problems getting enough bacon to serve. Their logistics chains are stressed as it is.

I'm sure keeping the application of tests distributed is less a strain on the supply of tests than localizing them at choke points like the pier. 

Edited by Dat Cruisin Couple
Add thought
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, toddcruise01 said:

We live way out in the boonies on a mountain in Arkansas, doesn't get more rural than we are, but a small town near us 16 miles away, has one Walgreen's and that is all we need here.  No problem scheduling nor getting the test. 

that's great. Now imagine a major metro area with 5+ million people in it, with a major outbreak of covid going on for comparison. 🙂

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I've had to breath thru some tough masks, filters and OBAs in my time in the USCG, 2 pieces of cloth are nothing. The only thing I hate is the dent the masks leave in my beard.

and I had to breath (sometimes, in school, sometimes for a couple hours, sometimes running 5 km in full ammunition) through an apparatus (displayed on your face) in my early days in Russia (no joke - extensive training in case of _ _ devastating invasion).  So, I'm not discussing any of that; I'm saying - , nothing will occur to really help until the world realizes we have to live with it like with any other virus, and, luckily, we are on the way in that direction.

I've already decided if they still require testing when I sail in 2022, I'm getting the freebie at Kaiser 3 days before I sail, and then getting a rapid test at the airport when I arrive the day before.  

Actually, I just checked, and when I sail out of San Pedro, the hotel I stay at in Long Beach is across the street from CVS.  I can get rapid tested there the night before the cruise.

I'll have to check my other night before locations.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ryano said:

I was under the impression that COVID testing is suppose to be free to everyone, including the uninsured, according to The Families First Coronavirus Response Act.    The way I understand it is if your insurance doesnt pay, the govt will.  

I have no idea on that. I just know there's an urgent care chain near me that says that if you have symptoms or exposure they'll bill your insurance, but says most insurance won't cover travel and lists the cost if your insurance doesn't cover it and if they cover it you might still owe a copay or deductible. The airport near me is full price no mention of insurance. My parents went to a hospital for exposure and got it free, but when they needed a PCR to travel they were charged - but they also got their results in like 4 hours. 

3 hours ago, toddcruise01 said:

And to add more angst, you could still get infected on the way to the pier, taxis, hotels, planes, trains and automobiles, after testing negative.....so what's the use,  You'd be spreading Covid on the ship, incubation being 2-14 days!  What are the odds that someone on some ship with a negative test will contract Covid on way to ship and spread it around?  Pretty good I'd say. Vaxd or not.

Could happen, but the odds of that are much lower if you test folks.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toddcruise01 said:

Could happen, but the odds of that are much lower if you test folks.....

___________________________________________________________________________________________

How are they lower?  They are the same (in general) or actually higher, because "on way to the ship" a person has close contacts with more people (plane, for example) than in a regular life.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ryano said:

Insurance and the government program will pay for tests deemed "medically necessary."  Travel is not in this category, and most places will charge you to do testing for travel.

For me, there's an Urgent Care near me that will do rapid NAAT (listed on RCL's website and accepted) testing and hand you the results in 15 minutes for $160.  Considering what I already have invested, and the fact that I just want to get on the ship, I'll fork over the cash to get my results on time and not have this added stress.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BensonFan711 said:

Insurance and the government program will pay for tests deemed "medically necessary."  Travel is not in this category, and most places will charge you to do testing for travel.

For me, there's an Urgent Care near me that will do rapid NAAT (listed on RCL's website and accepted) testing and hand you the results in 15 minutes for $160.  Considering what I already have invested, and the fact that I just want to get on the ship, I'll fork over the cash to get my results on time and not have this added stress.

I guess everywhere is different.  Im scheduled for a 9am rapid test at our local urgent care for September 7th.   She told me its free, even for travel purposes.    Im also scheduling a backup at a local CVS that I can cancel, for the same day as well, in case something happens.   CVS is doing free for travel for sure.  

Edited by ryano
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Having the cut off at age 12 is bound to break some hearts. I already read of a family of 4, the son is 11 now but turns 12 on the cruise and was told they cant board. 

that is a line in the sand that needs to be re drawn!!!!!!.  I mean come on give or take a few days.

Very silly in my opinion.   Most rules should have a overlap judgement of some kind.

2 hours ago, pcur said:

I've already decided if they still require testing when I sail in 2022, I'm getting the freebie at Kaiser 3 days before I sail, and then getting a rapid test at the airport when I arrive the day before.  

Actually, I just checked, and when I sail out of San Pedro, the hotel I stay at in Long Beach is across the street from CVS.  I can get rapid tested there the night before the cruise.

I'll have to check my other night before locations.

Are they doing the rapid test for sure?  Most CVS in our area are not.  Very disappointing and stress causing.  

9 minutes ago, imola said:

Are they doing the rapid test for sure?  Most CVS in our area are not.  Very disappointing and stress causing.  

Your area is different....CVS and Walgreens in our state in several places now, has increased in the last month.  Just go to the online sites/covidtesting and then input your ZIP and info, they will give you list of tests.

6 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

The reason some places are short on test kits is because Abbott destroyed much of it inventory earlier this summer thinking they wouldn't be needed anymore.

Please provide links to documentation for this claim.