RCL Denies vaccinated and negative tested couple boarding

6 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Exactly why i will not cruise now.  Its nuts plus the aggravation is not worth it. We can afford to wait 

We have decided the same.  Too much stress involved now and we don't like having to make final payment and only afterwards finding out what the protocols for our date MIGHT be.  Making final payment and paying for airfare is just too much of a commitment for us to be comfortable with under these circumstances.  Plenty of nice vacations besides cruising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Good to hear this.  It's hard to get CVS or Walgreens appointments for PCR testing around me, and rapid testing is nearly impossible.  I'm thinking of using the Abbott BinaxNOW test at home with monitoring.  It's $150 for a 6 pack of tests.  Acceptable when monitored per Royal's website.  Although we only need 2 tests, it would be nice to have both my wife and I test ourselves a few weeks before our cruise, in addition to 3 days before.

Souds like a plan!     Based on current testing requirements on Royal site that is acceptable as long as the test taken at home is supervised by a telemedicine professional, under live video.     

Looks like this Utah couple purchased the correct test but did the test without the supervision of a telemed professional so they only had a card to show negative instead of the cert you get when done online.

1 minute ago, Travelling2Some said:

We have decided the same.  Too much stress involved now and we don't like having to make final payment and only afterwards finding out what the protocols for our date MIGHT be.  Making final payment and paying for airfare is just too much of a commitment for us to be comfortable with under these circumstances.  Plenty of nice vacations besides cruising.

Eye of the beholder....anyone's level of frustration may be different from someone else.  We are willing to put up with all this just to cruise, and there are a lot of us.  Nothing wrong with being willing to wait either, but who knows when it will all let up??  It could be years....

• Like 1

I thought it was Border Patrol/Homeland Security/Customs that required a cut off time.  Something about the passenger list needs to be in a certain time before sailing?  That would explain why they couldn't just "keep the doors open 15 minutes".  This isn't a port stop, it's embarkation.  

I'm going on a company retreat tomorrow.  We were told last week(?), maybe the week before, we had to have a negative Covid test within 48 hours of the retreat starting.  Some people are flying in today.  

I called my PCP, said "do you do this?" and made an appointment for this morning.  About an hour after my appointment time, I was walking out of the office with the test results. 

My coworker, also going on the retreat, went to a mass testing site yesterday morning, was there just shy of an hour (never got out of the car), and had results last night. 

The couple must have known the test was a requirement, and why, the morning of sailing, with no results in hand, did they not start calling, going by doctor's offices, urgent treatments, heck, maybe even a hospital if you're getting desperate.  Explain the situation and see if they could get it done.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Exactly why i will not cruise now.  Its nuts plus the aggravation is not worth it. We can afford to wait 

Exactly cruising is not on my "Must Do List" if we have to wait another 18 months so be it............The Ocean isn't going anywhere..............The Cruiselines might leave, but I'm sure another ship will sail by sooner or later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Exactly cruising is not on my "Must Do List" if we have to wait another 18 months so be it............The Ocean isn't going anywhere..............The Cruiselines might leave, but I'm sure another ship will sail by sooner or later.

That is probably the right attitude to have at this time.   Believe me, there is NO WAY I would consider a cruise right now if I werent locked in with no other option but to sail. Its just not worth the stress of this testing requirement and worrying about results being back on time.   Im vaxxed and have been for months.  I thought that would be enough and it was, until it wasnt.     

Edited by ryano
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ryano said:

That is probably the right attitude to have at this time.   Believe me, there is NO WAY I would consider a cruise right now if I werent locked in with no other option but to sail. Its just not worth the stress of this testing requirement and worrying about results being back on time.   Im vaxxed and have been for months.  I thought that would be enough and it was, until it wasnt.     

Ryan, I know you have been cancelled and cancelled and cancelled for years.  I hope Alaska makes up for all of it!  Alaska was our favorite cruise of all time and hope we make it there again next May.  Fingers and toes crossed for a stress free, gorgeous sailing for you!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ryano said:

I'm pretty sure Royal's policy would allow you a refund even if you don't like the protocol changes.  They are very fair in their current policies.

Just now, reallyitsmema said:

Ryan, I know you have been cancelled and cancelled and cancelled for years.  I hope Alaska makes up for all of it!  Alaska was our favorite cruise of all time and hope we make it there again next May.  Fingers and toes crossed for a stress free, gorgeous sailing for you!

Thank you! 🙂   Ive got mine crossed as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Georgeny said:

Unbelievable, feel so bad for this Utah couple who planned to celebrate their 44th wedding anniversary. Change the rules at last minute and despite all their efforts and THREE negative tests they were left at pier after getting third test but results 15 minutes after ship closed doors. Make me very hesitate about our Oct 3rd sailing coming up on RCL Oasis. Their interview all over the news not hard to find. Their luggage sailed off, they did not PLUS they say there were 20 other couples left at pier but don't know what those circumstances were. Note they did not accept home test, and first pharmacy results were not emailed in time. Third test was local near pier but  they missed boarding by minutes!

George in NY 

Does RCL offer a full refund when test results can not be obtained in time?

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

We've got a cruise planned for July.  

A) We're REALLY hoping things calm down by then.

B) It's a celebration for DS' HS graduation-  we did it for his older sister in 2016, so it's his turn.  

2023 is a hopeful Hawaii trip for DW & my 30th.  2024 would be younger DD's HS graduation trip.  

8 minutes ago, tserface said:

I'm pretty sure Royal's policy would allow you a refund even if you don't like the protocol changes.  They are very fair in their current policies.

No, not in my unique situation.  Not only can I not get a refund which I would have gladly taken, they wouldnt even let me change it to next year.   My TA took this as high up the ladder as she could go.    Im on a FCC from a cancelled cruise because of hurricane Dorian in 2019.  I was able to take a FCC and apply it to an Alaskan cruise for August last year. COVID cancelled that cruise and we lifted and shifted to September 10 2021 on Ovation. They are telling us that the original FCC had to be used on a booked cruise by December 30 2020. Nothing else can be done now and I either sail or lose it all according to RC, unless I come up positive and I have no idea what will happen.  

Edited by ryano

34 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The couple must have known the test was a requirement, and why, the morning of sailing, with no results in hand, did they not start calling, going by doctor's offices, urgent treatments, heck, maybe even a hospital if you're getting desperate.  Explain the situation and see if they could get it done.  

Exactly!     They didn't even follow the proper instructions for the home test they did as a back up.      Not everyone is good at following instructions but somehow still makes it thru life.  

The media reporting they had 3 tests done but still denied boarding, is BS.     Not surprising there either.   

1st PCR test done at Walgreen 2 days before sailing, didn't receive results in time to board.

2nd test - at home kit - correct kit - but does not sound like they did the the supervised online option to have the proper proof of negative result

3rd test - ran off to a urgent care center and came back to see ship closed up and ready to sail.

5 minutes ago, ryano said:

No, not in my unique situation.  Not only can I not get a refund, they wouldnt even let me change it to next year.   My TA took this as high up the ladder as she could go.    Im on a FCC from a cancelled cruise because of hurricane Dorian in 2019.  I was able to take a FCC and apply it to an Alaskan cruise for August last year. COVID cancelled that cruise and we lifted and shifted to September 10 2021 on Ovation. They are telling us that the original FCC had to be used on a booked cruise by December 30 2020.  I either sail or lose it all according to RC, unless I come up positive and I have no idea what will happen.  

I don't understand, there were a few announcements that if you can't sail under their protocols they will issue a refund even if FCCs were used .  I've got a family cruise (4 cabins) on Harmony that was canceled in April '20 and FCCs applied to Easter '21 Anthem cruise.  Since this cruise was not going to happen, we L&S to Easter '22 .  Unfortunately, my grandkids do not want the vaccine and we wont be able to sail, if the same protocols are in place.  Additionally, because the Anthem was cheaper than Harmony we have excess FCCs totaling $2.100.  

I don't want to lose any of this money's.  Would not be a problem if the FCCs did not have an expiration date.

Original non-Covid related FCCs (from 2019 Hurricane Dorian, Oasis crane accident & maybe others) had different stipulations, apply by and expiration dates.  I immediately tried to use those FCCs first as didn't think RC would extend them as favorably as other FCCs issued relative to the pandemic.

Hope something can still work for others holding them.  Too much to keep track of and the applicable rules.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ryano said:

No, not in my unique situation.  Not only can I not get a refund which I would have gladly taken, they wouldnt even let me change it to next year.   My TA took this as high up the ladder as she could go.    Im on a FCC from a cancelled cruise because of hurricane Dorian in 2019.  I was able to take a FCC and apply it to an Alaskan cruise for August last year. COVID cancelled that cruise and we lifted and shifted to September 10 2021 on Ovation. They are telling us that the original FCC had to be used on a booked cruise by December 30 2020. Nothing else can be done now and I either sail or lose it all according to RC, unless I come up positive and I have no idea what will happen.  

Wow, that's a story.  It's odd that they would require you to use the FCC on a cruise when they weren't even cruising, but that doesn't help your situation.

Not sure what to say except I hope you enjoy your cruise 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tserface said:

Not sure what to say except I hope you enjoy your cruise 🙂

Thank you!  I was just able to make an appt for September 7th at the local urgent care for rapid covid testing so that takes a little stress off.  That will suffice the 3 day requirement for a September 10th Ovation cruise. Now to stay healthy and COVID free until then!  I hope you enjoy your cruise as well! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

That is theft they can't do that. Royal can be sued for that.

technically, it’s not.  They gave their luggage to RC, similar to giving it to a dry cleaner.  If the dry cleaner isn’t open, you can’t get it back. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I don't understand why it's so hard to get a PCR test? In Maryland, testing is everywhere. Most physicians have PCR and rapid antigen testing  in house, same with most CVS or Walgreens that have the clinics, along with the urgent care facilities.

A lot of it might depend if you are located near a large(r) city.  There are 15 states where CVS does not offer any testing for Covid.  One of them my Dad's state.  We don't cruise until December and I'm trying to help him find local facilities.  So far, the closest I have found is half an hour away with no current availability.  But, they don't allow booking this far out.  Everything else is an hour or more away.  The local Urgent Cares do not show testing availability, but someone must be doing it.

As back up, or maybe just peace of mind and less stress, I went ahead and purchased the Abbot kits to perform the proctored tests.  If we can find tests locally great!  If we don't get results back quickly, at least we will have a kit.

I do think it's unfair to deny boarding and not have alternative testing available for those who did get tested but are just waiting on results.  Especially if vaccinated.  We can't control the workload or efficiency of the local facilities.  I understand and agree with the necessity, and I will do everything I can to make sure I comply.  I guess it would be nice to know there would be something available if all attempts fail...

Edited by jk04
  • Like 1

I feel for them but, if one is going to cruise during a global pandemic, you have to absolutely be on top of the constantly changing requirements.  Royal Caribbean wants to stay in business.  They cannot make exceptions for those who can't, don't or won't comply for whatever reason.  

• Like 2

In some ways this is a "you get what you pay for". It's the free options that are having delays for the PCR and run out of antigen. There's an urgent care system by me that has plenty - they just charge you the cost up front. The airport has rapid antigen and rapid PCR, but you have to pay for them. 

The only reason I'm going for the free option when I need it for a few weeks is it's only me so seems crazy to spend money on 6 tests that might expire before I can use them. Worst case scenario I go to the airport and it's cheaper than those 6 at home tests. 

8 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

And yet 1000 other passengers got the email two days earlier and got tested, got resulted, boarded and are having a good time. Seems there is more there than the story is explaining. If there were more than a few people denied boarding I could agree, but when 99% can do it, I wonder whats up with that 1%.

I am not sure but I can only speculate that they may live in a rural area.  We live in rural MN the local hospital rarely does rapid test except for hospital admission.  Urgent care local clinic ect is all PCR and sent out they take 3 days at best to come back can take 7 days or longer if busy.  Closest Walgreens / CVS that offers  rapid test is 2 1/2 hrs away .  So it's not simple for everyone .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkaczanowski said:

technically, it’s not.  They gave their luggage to RC, similar to giving it to a dry cleaner.  If the dry cleaner isn’t open, you can’t get it back. 

But the dry cleaner doesn't take it away on a ship with them. And if they are too full to clean it then they hand it back. When you miss the flight they offload the luggage don't they? So why not the same thing on the ships? What if that happens to us when we fail at the Anthem check in in November which we will have to fail in order to get the refund? We would have nothing to wear in new york for at least a week?

Edited by ace2542