RCL Denies vaccinated and negative tested couple boarding

Just now, tserface said:

Ah, that makes sense.  It's odd that the news doesn't mention that they did the unmonitored test, but your observation makes sense.  I remember, back in the day, when a friend asked me to pee in a small bottle for them. I was in high school and didn't know anything.  Turns out they were going for a drug test and needed a clean sample and they knew just the square to ask 🙂  It would be easy to fake a home COVID test and, although I think it would be a heinous thing to do, it's starting to sound like some people would do it.

We had a guy here who had the tips of a surgical glove stuffed into his nostrils . Until one fell out ....people really trying to game the system . Personally I want to know if I have a breakthrough case even though missing a cruise would stink!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jkaczanowski said:

There’s no way they could have gotten the monitored test in 2 days. I ordered Friday and estimated delivery is Tuesday. 

Yeah, that's what I thought, but the news story didn't mention it so I wondered.  Why even do the home test at all if you know it's not valid?

Is this news station advocating for accepting anyone's home test *without* validation.  Do they really want to be on record supporting that option?  That opens a can of worms.

I feel sorry for this couple and can totally understand how they could have been confused, but we really can't relax the standards.

As some have mentioned, it would be nice if RCCL had an, at port, option they could use in these types of cases even if they charged $150 for it (just let them in with the kids who are being tested).  I bet this couple would have paid the $150ea cost in a heartbeat rather than miss the cruise.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, forgotmyCCname said:

We had a guy here who had the tips of a surgical glove stuffed into his nostrils . Until one fell out ....people really trying to game the system . Personally I want to know if I have a breakthrough case even though missing a cruise would stink!

Yikes!!!  You'd think that would be difficult to hide.

36 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The facts we know to be true are that Royal posted on their website the requirements 2 weeks in advance of their cruise. We know from first hand experience that Royal communicated with all kinds of folks who got on that ship without any problem.  We know they received the email advising them that they must test so we can conclude that Royal's ability to communicate with them was unencumbered.

What we are left to speculate on is the veracity of their claim that they received this notice with only two days notice.  When 99.8 percent of people were able to avoid being turned away the preponderance of evidence suggests they have misrepresented their story in order to garner some kind of sympathy and benefit for their mistake.

I have watched years of Judge Judy.  I am qualified to make this judgement.  🙂 

Try proving all you said above in court. I highly doubt you would win with evidence  like everyone else got the information ..............Disregard what may or not be on their web site.

Not everyone has to go back on their website after they book a cruise.

Emails and text's are paper trails, that is what would stand up in court.

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I don't understand why it's so hard to get a PCR test? In Maryland, testing is everywhere. Most physicians have PCR and rapid antigen testing  in house, same with most CVS or Walgreens that have the clinics, along with the urgent care facilities.

I am cruising 9/12 and have started getting intel on testing locally (PA). PCR testing is available everywhere HOWEVER every place I went said testing demand has risen and lab work load as well. they said PCR results back in 3-7 days no guarantees. So......that eliminates PCR testing.  For rapid testing the earliest for me would be 9/9 and have to wait for appointments to open up that far out.  Does anyone need more stress...no. Frankly RCCL should get with the program and have a covid test hot line that can help people if there is an issue and are cruising with the 3 day window.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Threedrones said:

Couldn’t RCL test them at the dock (for a fee)? They test children under 12 at the dock so the tests must be available. 

This would be the obvious solution to this issue.  Also, you'd think it would be simple since they are already set up for it.  I think the resistance might be that some people would just rely on this and not even try to get tested elsewhere and that could significantly overwhelm their people at the dock. 

They could easily make it like anything else they sell and have people purchase the option ahead of time.  It could be an income source for them even.  Although, I'm not really sure how much jurisdiction the cruise line has over what happens in the port so maybe there are some regional issues with that plan.  Everything is complicated these days.

My guess is they just don't want to do 3000 tests a day at the port.  Tests for the kids may be 100 at most (if there are a lot of kids).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tserface said:

It would be easy to fake a home COVID test and, although I think it would be a heinous thing to do, it's starting to sound like some people would do it.

I was just thinking the other day - one wouldn't even have to fake a Covid test, if one had a test before. What would stop a dishonest person from printing out the results of their previous test and editing the date on it? Since Royal is asking people to print the results (although they accept the results on electronic devices as well), it would be easy to print something that looks like an official negative result.

People sell fake vaccination cards, for goodness sake.

The news report is also misleading when saying that the couple received an email that said vaccinated guests do not require a test.  The email that they put on the screen does not say that...it says that unvaccinated guests require a test at boarding.  They may have inferred that vaxxed guests don't need a test.   Either lazy reporting and/or purposely creating controversy for eye balls.

image.png.5e96dc8d7cc662e9f6a11d5b818db08d.png

This sounds like the same confusion mentioned in other threads about whether or not vaccinated guests must be tested at the port (they do not).  Add me to the list of those who would pay for a rapid test at the port on departure day.

3 hours ago, Georgeny said:

. Note they did not accept home test, and first pharmacy results were not emailed in time. Third test was local near pier but  they missed boarding by minutes!

George in NY 

That's why my hard copy results will be in my hot little hands!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

If there was a weather delay in Galveston , they would find a opening for them to leave. Galveston isn't exactly the shipping capitol of the world.............They could  have gotten out.

Not that I don't agree that they could have find the ship an opening to leave, and Galveston may not be the shipping capitol of the world, but both the Port of Galveston and the Port of Houston share the same channel to enter the Gulf and I can assure that the Port of Houston is a very busy port.

23 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Try proving all you said above in court. I highly doubt you would win with evidence  like everyone else got the information ..............Disregard what may or not be on their web site.

Not everyone has to go back on their website after they book a cruise.

Emails and text's are paper trails, that is what would stand up in court.

This email is from the Director of Guest Services for all of RCI's cruise lines...all of them:

Her email to answer my question:

Hi Richard- yes - you’re all good with the NAAT test. Here you go - from our FAQs. Have an awesome cruise! 

My email to her:
To: Laly Yera-Rodriguez; Carlos Leyva
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Do you accept this test for sailing?

Is this test given by Walgreens accepted? 

•  
  • Rapid Diagnostic Test (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test NAAT)  This is a rapid antigen test.
  •  
  • This is your protocol:
  •  
  • There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either type: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test  I consider these tests to be identical, do you concur?
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician,

My pharmacy gives this specific test in my area so I want to make sure you accept it.  It is a NAAT test as you can see. I copied the name of the test from my husbands test that was done today as a dry run (negative results were back within 3 hrs).  We are scheduling Our pre-cruise test for Thursday Sept 9th  for our Sunday sailing Sept. 12th.  There is much confusion out there about the types of tests and I do not intend to take any chances that you will deny our boarding because of any misunderstanding on my part, so Thanks for your quick reply.

By the way we are both vaccinated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Rapid tests are not available AT ALL -- no one has test kits.

I did a dry run test at Walgreens Saturday, I called at 8:00am in the morning, they had 3 time slots left for that day, at 3:00 I got my test and at 6:00pm I got the emailed results.  Thank Goodness I live in the wilds of Arkansas.  And by the way, we only have one drug store, Walgreen's along with Wal Mart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I find it hard to believe, the cruise line has their bags  on the ship, they arrive at 4:30pm with correct documentations and ship still at the dock and tell them  they shut the door  15minutes ago and don't allow them to board the ship. I mean really under these times with test and everything there should be a little kindness and leeway................this was for 20 some people that were right at the dock with negative test results.

Agree.

2 hours ago, cscurlock said:

They just need to make the vaccine mandatory for now and remove the tests and the masks.  That's about the only way we are going to get to as close to normal as possible.  If you get it and your vaccinated the effects should be minimal.

I agree.  School is almost back everywhere.  Just make it vaccinated passengers - no exceptions, regardless of age.

24 minutes ago, toddcruise01 said:

This email is from the Director of Guest Services for all of RCI's cruise lines...all of them:

Her email to answer my question:

Hi Richard- yes - you’re all good with the NAAT test. Here you go - from our FAQs. Have an awesome cruise! 

My email to her:
To: Laly Yera-Rodriguez; Carlos Leyva
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Do you accept this test for sailing?

Is this test given by Walgreens accepted? 

•  
  • Rapid Diagnostic Test (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test NAAT)  This is a rapid antigen test.
  •  
  • This is your protocol:
  •  
  • There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either type: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test  I consider these tests to be identical, do you concur?
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician,

My pharmacy gives this specific test in my area so I want to make sure you accept it.  It is a NAAT test as you can see. I copied the name of the test from my husbands test that was done today as a dry run (negative results were back within 3 hrs).  We are scheduling Our pre-cruise test for Thursday Sept 9th  for our Sunday sailing Sept. 12th.  There is much confusion out there about the types of tests and I do not intend to take any chances that you will deny our boarding because of any misunderstanding on my part, so Thanks for your quick reply.

By the way we are both vaccinated.

Not exactly sure what you are showing me here, you received this email? Doesn't mean the couple from Utah ever received it from Royal.

12 minutes ago, mek said:

I agree.  School is almost back everywhere.  Just make it vaccinated passengers - no exceptions, regardless of age.

I have a feeling they would still require a negative test.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

sounds like you have a plan, but with more and more people getting tested , delays in getting results are bound to happen, Do you have aback-up plan in place if your results are delayed?

My testing, is right at the lab.  It does not get shipped out.  The place does not accept insurance, just credit card.  It is not a medical facility but a clinical trials place.  For a PCR test, sometimes you find out within 2 hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkaczanowski said:

There’s no way they could have gotten the monitored test in 2 days. I ordered Friday and estimated delivery is Tuesday. 

I ordered one late Friday night and received it this morning.  It was Overnight Fed Ex, but the weekend slows it down. Likely procesed Saturday morning so out the door and received on my doorstep this morning.  

3 hours ago, Georgeny said:

If you read the story or watch the news cast it is stated that THREE weeks before departure they received info that NO pre covid test was required. Then on the 13th TWO days before departure they were given new information notice that new protocols required a pre-test which they immediately did. They did both a test at Walgreens and a home test as well to make sure they had results. Walgreens wasn't recieved in time and RCL would not acept home test.

Just the fact that RCL now requires RESULTS no more than 3 days prior to sailing makes it hard to comply.

Yes, I feel bad for the couple and feel bad they wasted their money on a home test kit that wasn't an approved option.       

Also, stinks their luggage made onboard but they didn't.   

Let's remember the cruise lines have schedules to meet with the Harbor Master and the pilots for the harbor so unless there is a true emergency they won't wait around for anyone.    We have all seen and heard about passengers being left at the port because they didn't make it back to the ship on time.   

Not sure what the story is with the other 20 people, but imagine it is similar and they didn't have proper test results in time.     Shame they didn't get an antigen test at a local pharmacy, such as CVS or an urgi care center.     

Yes, I believe Royal should be able to accommodate some travelers who show up at the cruise terminal without test results, but at the same time, if word got out that you could do that then everyone would do that!